• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Sorry to post my ugly minis in the thread, but progress is being made! I only need to add some red/brown for the details on the armour and the receiver (I have no idea if it's actually a receiver) and some details on the weapons. And then I'll actually start with edge highlighting, for real.
I'm pretty happy with how my fake The Fang came out, though I have no idea if it's even close to the original, I like the result.
qVKDwNf.jpg

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Man, your work is so smooth. So much more than mine, I'm jealous.
That's definitely not true, but thanks for the kind words :)

I feel like I'm going to need a very thin brush for the recesses/shading. All those lines on the armour aren't especially deep, especially on the arms and on the weapons, so using a shade would lead to awful results I feel like.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok on the elves, but I'm in love with both of their hero units. Especially that masked beast oh man, would 100% use that as an awesome sphinx in D&D (but I'm sure it's going to cost something like $130 so I'll never end up buying it). Also digging those nurgles for a swamp hag and her two ogre body guards.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
My T'au look something like this at the moment:
ocSU7wp.jpg

I was looking for some tips/opinions on what to do next. Current things to do are:
  • I was planning to make a lighter shade of the fake The Fang to highlight the face and hooves a bit (mostly the face, as I have seen it in one of the Warhammer TV video).
  • To shade the pants a bit, I'll use some Agrax Earthshade for the the recesses and a light grey (using White Scar with a bit of Abaddon Black) for the outer parts. Since the white is a Layer paint, I believe it would be better suited for this than Corax White.
  • I might use some White Scar for the edges of the grey armour near the hooves.
  • I was also thinking of making a light orange to highlight the edges of the shoulder armour. Hopefully I won't forget about it.
  • As a final step I'll go back and cover with Corax White wherever's needed; in particular, the brown lines of the armour came out thicker than I would have liked (especially on the back and on the weapons), so I'll try to make them thinner. It may end up looking a bit darker nearby, which would probably look nice, though unintentional.
  • Gluing the pieces together should probably count as a step. I already know some paint will be scratched out, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
Any help is appreciated, as always.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Well, I'm now only missing a base. Does anyone know what I'd need to make a base that looks something like these ones?
99120113040_TauEmpirePathFinderTeam02.jpg

Here's how my finished T'au minis look, though the picture didn't come out that great:
FKySkcb.jpg

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Not taking into account the shrubbery, Astrogranite Debris is a base in a can, pretty much. Or you could make your own mix of sand, clue and paint. I use the ready made mixes from GW because I am lazy.
Do you think a thin coat of Astrogranite Debris drybrushed with a a light grey would result in something similar to the picture I posted? I'll probably buy a set of tufts or turf, since they seem useful for other kind of bases as well. I have no idea where to get small rocks though, I can't think of any place nearby that has something similar (and I don't feel like buying them, which I assume is an option).

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
sackboy97 thats probably exactly how they achieved that look. I suggest you check out the Citadel Painting app as it could tell you exactly what colors and basing they use. I use it for that and to keep track of what paints I have at home.

As for rocks, you may be able to source them from a dirt patch assuming it contains the size and texture you want. You can also try pet shops and look in the aquarium section and see what kind of substrate they have, just make sure it's stone and not compressed soil. Lastly you can also try a furniture or home decoration department, up to and including Ikea. They often sell decorative stone for plants and such that come in plastic containers, enough to last you several armies, for very cheap.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I have a small container of cat litter I got from a friendly cat owner. Basically an assortment of small flat rocks. Hey, it works lol!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
sackboy97 thats probably exactly how they achieved that look. I suggest you check out the Citadel Painting app as it could tell you exactly what colors and basing they use. I use it for that and to keep track of what paints I have at home.
I have been using it, but I somehow didn't notice that it has the colours for the bases as well. Apparently it's Stirland Mud, though the Astrogranite seems more accurate to get that colour. I'll have to look around Ikea and similar shops next time I get the chance; there's also quite a few pet shops around, so I should be able to get something nice hopefully.

I was also considering adding the tiniest bit of "water" to one of the bases. For whatever reason I think it would fit well with that kind of base and in particular with the mini on the right; it would have to be a really small slice of some kind of stream. I could try something out with silicone, since I believe I have some around and it looks quite clear when dry,

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
It's a testament to how timeless these tiny works of art are, with a fresh coat of paint they still look stunning. Well done!

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Another black ork of my blood bowl team, some oldhammers will appreciate it.
My team is almost complete after a 8 years hiatus... Yeah!!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I ended up getting Stirland Mud, as my local shop didn't have Astrogranite Debris in stock; it might be for the best, if only because Debris is quite similar to Armageddon Dust I believe. I think I'll make a base with the Mud, then I'll put some "chunks" of Dust on top, which I'll paint to make it look more like rocks (and then maybe drybrush with a lighter colour on top). And I'll add some tufts as well once I manage to get them.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I ended up getting Stirland Mud, as my local shop didn't have Astrogranite Debris in stock; it might be for the best, if only because Debris is quite similar to Armageddon Dust I believe. I think I'll make a base with the Mud, then I'll put some "chunks" of Dust on top, which I'll paint to make it look more like rocks (and then maybe drybrush with a lighter colour on top). And I'll add some tufts as well once I manage to get them.

Sounds good. And it's not like you cant paint the Stirland mud whatever colour you want.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I was checking Amazon for sand/rocks but all the bags are at least 1kg, which is way too much unfortunately. I'll have to check some local stores.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
For miniature model hobby stuff, I've found Amazon isn't too great price wise. You are guaranteed to find things cheaper either at a local store, or a more hobby focused online store.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
For miniature model hobby stuff, I've found Amazon isn't too great price wise. You are guaranteed to find things cheaper either at a local store, or a more hobby focused online store.
More than the price, they would occupy a lot of space really. I don't really know of any local store, except the comic book store and the Warhammer shop itself, though I'm sure there's probably quite a few nearby.

Actually, it looks like there's some "bottle" of sand and rocks at a nearby DIY store, so I'll probably get those.

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished* my Necromantic team, after having it half-done since summer. I used them as a testbed for the Contrast paints, everything but the eyes and certain metals (spikes, knucklebusters, the foot things, weathering) is with them.

Bws5zsE.jpg

A decently focused picture of so many miniatures isn't the easiest thing to do, holy cow XD

*I still need to paint the Mummies and more Ghouls for whenever I want to use tham as Undead, but I don't plan to anytime soon.

Well, I took the plunge...

GyfEy8B.jpg

Equal parts nervous and excited.

Whenever you need to buy more thinner, grab a Flow Improver bottle instead and use it as a thinner. It's like a gazillion times better on my experience.

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Finally finished* my Necromantic team, after having it half-done since summer. I used them as a testbed for the Contrast paints, everything but the eyes and certain metals (spikes, knucklebusters, the foot things, weathering) is with them.

Bws5zsE.jpg

A focused picture of so many miniatures isn't the easiest thing to do, holy cow XD

*I still need to paint the Mummies and more Ghouls for whenever I want to use tham as Undead, but I don't plan to anytime soon.

Whenever you need to buy more thinner, grab a Flow Improver bottle instead and use it as a thinner. It's like a gazillion times better on my experience.

Yeah I've seen a lot of people use that as well, will give it a go next time.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I've decided to be a cool kid and created an Instagram.

We had quite a few around here, right? I've already followed some, but I think I'm missing plenty more.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra

Finally finding a look for my Stormcasts that I like. My goal is to get my Khone Bloodbound, a warrior chamber and a sacrosanct chamber warband for warcry. I have all the models and it will total to like 15-20 models. Lots of the stormcasts are in process though.

Gonna try to film some stuff for how I did this guy cause some folks asked me. The filming is scarier than the painting!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, Ohnonono I LOVE that stormcast! So moody, in the best way!

Here is a random model I started painting cus I had it primed and wanted to paint something. I think it's my best attempt at doing shadows and highlights without an airbrush (specifically the cape):

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Hey all! I am not a miniature enthusiast, but my brother-in-law models and 3D prints minis. His typical style is Chibi which I know isn't what is usually used in wargaming, but he scales them for typical Tabletop dungeon crawlers.

You can find his stuff on his Etsy shop: Polymorph Miniatures

il_794xN.1844437233_jbo9.jpg
il_794xN.1710194627_4jgl.jpg

il_794xN.1665020852_ah6j.jpg
il_794xN.1881440851_oqyh.jpg

He got commissioned to design a miniature to go along with a Kickstarter campaign for a set of miniature dry brushes: Ghost Dry Brushes

He made a swamp troll!
8d28c7051ebf63367e9750b9074cd38e_original.png

He has over 100 five-star ratings so check out his stuff and happy painting/playing!

Oct 27, 2017
So me and my SO has moved to our house, been living here for about a month. Finally we bought some stuff for our hobby room, can't wait to get painting again.

I have so much to paint haha.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hey all! I am not a miniature enthusiast, but my brother-in-law models and 3D prints minis. His typical style is Chibi which I know isn't what is usually used in wargaming, but he scales them for typical Tabletop dungeon crawlers.

You can find his stuff on his Etsy shop: Polymorph Miniatures

il_794xN.1844437233_jbo9.jpg
il_794xN.1710194627_4jgl.jpg

il_794xN.1665020852_ah6j.jpg
il_794xN.1881440851_oqyh.jpg

He got commissioned to design a miniature to go along with a Kickstarter campaign for a set of miniature dry brushes: Ghost Dry Brushes

He made a swamp troll!
8d28c7051ebf63367e9750b9074cd38e_original.png

He has over 100 five-star ratings so check out his stuff and happy painting/playing!

Some really cool shit, I might have to pick up a model or two of his.
Edit; Damn! He's American, the shipping is really expensive, I was about to order the Predator :(

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So after Kickstarting it in August 2016 my Giga-Robo set and expansions arrived today.

Some (Not very great because of my camera skills) pictures.
(I've put them in a Spoiler box as they're pretty large)
The box for the Core Set,
qsv8XEf.jpg

The back of the Core Set box,
kh5NaHr.jpg

The two expansions I got,
RNOoHe0.jpg

One side of the Play mat,
5FqgVEv.jpg

Front of the rule book,
8NyYmDw.jpg

Back of the rule book,
Q2EqyV9.jpg

The Core set models. Sadly one of them was damaged in transit and his arm was resting in a different part of the box when I unpacked it. I'm going to contact the makers and see if they can replace it but I suspect they won't be able to so I might just have to try and carefully glue it back on with some Games Workshop glue or something,
CphyrUi.jpg

Close ups of the core set models (I have yet to learn their names)
8xwEhJF.jpg

vpkwOTe.jpg

ggNGbWt.jpg

RQBbqbe.jpg

Back of one of the expansions,
8Qg5YEr.jpg

And the model it comes with,
Exi5nau.jpg

Back of the other expansion,
lj7RGua.jpg

And its model,
DOcoijI.jpg

I haven't even looked at the rule book or watched any video tutorials yet but there are an absolute shit ton of cards with this thing for playing. There's also some model buildings in with the core set, 29(!) dice, about 200 tokens...so despite the rule book being only 20 or so pages I suspect the game will be a bit more complex than it first appears.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I visited the Warhammer shop again today, to get some Lahmian Medium; the single minis look really good, but I can't justify spending 25€ on such a small amount of plastic.

By the way, would a "dry" palette be better for mixing washes and the like, compared to the wet palette I have been using?

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I visited the Warhammer shop again today, to get some Lahmian Medium; the single minis look really good, but I can't justify spending 25€ on such a small amount of plastic.

By the way, would a "dry" palette be better for mixing washes and the like, compared to the wet palette I have been using?

I prefer a dry/well pallet for washes yeah. Metallics as well, particular when using ones that start off thin like Vallejo Model Air or Vallejo Metal Colour.

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I always use a dry palette for washes and metallics. I would go so far as to say you shouldn't do either in a wet palette. In particular metallics can go through the paper and into the sponge.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind for the future.

I finally finished the bases for the T'au Pathfinders from the top of this page! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, I tried a lot of new things which was a lot of fun.
Here are the bases themselves:
gUPEI0M.jpg

And here are the finished minis:
iREDj9G.jpg