• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sucker for a good base. I really need to learn how to do something more fancy than the most basic ones.

For my part, I started to paint my Ogre team. I've always wanted to have some dark skin players in my Blood Bowl teams, but I never dared to tackle it. Until now, where I went from 0 to 100 and all the Ogre players will have it :P. All the skins are completed besides some final touches and highlights on the face, hands and similar areas. Team colours will be blue and yellow, just as the team's name deserves (Da Jogo Bonito).

G4lWP0b.jpg

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I felt like yesterday's painting wasn't quite enough, so I finally decide to paint these small pilots, which are about 1cm high. I think they came out all right, all things considered.
8jtMJBW.jpg

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Hey all! I am not a miniature enthusiast, but my brother-in-law models and 3D prints minis. His typical style is Chibi which I know isn't what is usually used in wargaming, but he scales them for typical Tabletop dungeon crawlers.

You can find his stuff on his Etsy shop: Polymorph Miniatures

il_794xN.1844437233_jbo9.jpg
il_794xN.1710194627_4jgl.jpg

il_794xN.1665020852_ah6j.jpg
il_794xN.1881440851_oqyh.jpg

He got commissioned to design a miniature to go along with a Kickstarter campaign for a set of miniature dry brushes: Ghost Dry Brushes

He made a swamp troll!
8d28c7051ebf63367e9750b9074cd38e_original.png

He has over 100 five-star ratings so check out his stuff and happy painting/playing!

HA! I bought from your brother in law recently. I will post the TMNT I am almost done. Love his stuff!

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done with these guys...then it's off to try to get some work done on a 1/144 Boeing 314.

Next week I'm on the road but I'll try to get some work done on my Tau killteam I haven't touched in 5 months or so. There's also Lady Harrow's harlots to deal with but first I want to establish a nice paint scheme for them. I'm thinking pink.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Finished!

TMNT (Before Basing)
- I have clay setting on a base, which I will sand tomorrow and start painting and then sit these four green fellers down on. Looking forward to that tomorrow.
- Tell your Bro Bro in Law that these minis rock!
yiszc3K.jpg

Corrupted Knight (New techniques applied: pigments/stippling/oils)
- this one was alot of fun to do. I tried so many new ways of doing a miniature that I gained much confidence in the ordeal. And this was the fastest one I have done to date, took only a week ^_^ )
x0TttNT.jpg

vVfvEre.jpg

HMsMvS9.jpg

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Finished!

TMNT (Before Basing)
- I have clay setting on a base, which I will sand tomorrow and start painting and then sit these four green fellers down on. Looking forward to that tomorrow.
- Tell your Bro Bro in Law that these minis rock!
yiszc3K.jpg

Corrupted Knight (New techniques applied: pigments/stippling/oils)
- this one was alot of fun to do. I tried so many new ways of doing a miniature that I gained much confidence in the ordeal. And this was the fastest one I have done to date, took only a week ^_^ )
x0TttNT.jpg

vVfvEre.jpg

HMsMvS9.jpg
Those are really amazing. Turtles in particular look like professional paint jobs. It's great to see painters really leaning into the unique styles of the sculpts. It's one of the reasons I'm really enjoying videos of the new marvel tabletop game since the comic book look is so different from the space Marines aesthetic.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Does anyone have any experience with sculpting? I kinda feel like giving it a try, though I don't really know where to start (besides googling some tutorials of course).

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Those turtles look ace. Love the sculpts and the paint looks so smooth, good stuff all around!

And that knight is straight up out of the warp.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Those turtles are freaking great.

Also, why the hell had I to chose yellow as secondary colour for my Ogre team. Usually I would just airbrush it and then paint the rest, but having already done the skin this is a big nope now :(. Could try to mask everything, but there are parts that would be a nightmare and a probable fuck up.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Paint brushing yellow base color is a hellish task. I would almost suggest airbrush just the armor yellow and paint over the overspray.

Thanks for the kind words! Mini painting has been great fun recently but boy is my neck strained. Break day today!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest starting with a brown base coat and then painting yellow overtop that. It'll make your life easier than painting yellow over say black or a dark gray primer.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest starting with a brown base coat and then painting yellow overtop that. It'll make your life easier than painting yellow over say black or a dark gray primer.

That's what I was doing, but it still required a shitton of layers between the lighter brown (it was already dark brown due the dark skin first few airbrushed layers) and the yellow itself.

After doing two of six (numbers 1 and 3) with unsatisfactory results, I've decided to try to mask everything with masking putty and airbrush it. It will take quite a bit as it would be quite difficult to do all the yellow parts in one proper masking, but oh well, better than the alternative. And I've still done some fuck ups on the masking, but at least are in areas (hands) that can be easily fixed in various ways.

b55UsWq.jpg

Shoulders done in all of them. Next is the belly armour piece, then a little one they have in the back to place the number, and the helmets and left shoulders on those who have them. Loincloths (three have them) and pant's stripes will be done by brush.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so I see you use GW paints. I've found Averland Sunset to be a pretty good base coat for yellow, or at the very least put the brown base coat, then Averland and then your yellow. That's quite the bright yellow so you gotta really work up to it. It's up to you if that is a better process in terms of time/enjoyment than the airbrushing and masking. But it's a suggestion.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Its been a while since my last post. I haven't gotten much better, but I keep plugging away at it.
I finished the last of my Yedharo Miniatures Orks, painted all the figures for a game called Dungeonology: The Expedition, painted another Raging Heroes mini (thats the blue one), then painted a bunch of Artisan Guild figures I'd bought off Etsy.
Lastly I bought some NutsPlanet 1/35 scale minis and had a go at painting one of those.

So, not much quality, but plenty of quantity.
pic5248072.jpg

pic5248065.jpg

pic5248067.jpg

pic5248064.jpg

pic5248066.jpg

pic5248061.jpg

pic5248062.jpg

pic5248063.jpg

pic5248060.jpg

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Here's Ned Stark from the ASOIAF board game. Definitely nothing fancy. I've reached the point where I just do my best to at least make it look clean, without obsessing over being as good as Angel Giraldez or the other pros out there. Otherwise I end up stripping and repainting the same 2-3 figs over and over while my backlog piles up. They'll look good on the table, and that's all I care about at this point.

I used to obsess over painting pupils and irises but fuck it, I just don't have the technique to do something so tiny. It looks incredible if you can pull it off but that won't be me anytime soon.

20200221-104812.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
After almost 5 months of no painting, I'm back to work on more Zombicide! This rat abomination took less than 2hrs. Usually these big guys take me 6-8hrs. Also, I have an amazing new hobby spot in my media room. Last weekend I was listening to music through my wireless headphones on my iPad, streaming Music from my PLEX server and watched my wife and kids play Diablo 3 on their own individual TVs while I clipped and glued my Genestealer Cult miniatures. It feels like I'm living in the future!

GFSZmOw.jpg

UxZssN1.jpg

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
He looks great. Hes also massive. What zombicide is he from?
I bought the zombicide first edition recently and i love the game

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
He looks great. Hes also massive. What zombicide is he from?
I bought the zombicide first edition recently and i love the game

He is from the Black Plague Kickstarter. The Knight Pack, specifically.

He is super dangerous! When you draw his card, he is placed 1 zone from the noisiest zone on the board.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Cool. I was thinking of picking black plague up later this year

I think it is the best of the Zombicides. Not only does it have more heroes, enemy types, and abominations than the others, but it also has Necromancers, hedges, water features, verticality (limited), and siege weapons. It also crosses over to and from Massive Darkness which is a major bonus to me. Granted, Invader does somethin similar with Project Elite, but overall there is much less content. Zombicide 2.0 with the 1.0 crossover cards should be a stupid amount of content as well and may actually bump Black Plague from my top spot. It will be a year until I know though!

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I quite missed your zombicide figures :P

And yeah, Black Plague is the best Zombicide, although I still haven't played Invaders. That will probably change this sunday, I've heard some really nice things of it.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
Ohh, i hadn't heard about Zombicide 2.0
It looks great. Some interesting changes and i like those plastic card holders from black plague. That'll be my christmas present sorted!

Jul 9, 2019
You guys are amazing at painting miniatures!

Do you have any tips for beginners? I plan to mostly paint GW miniatures, maybe some Star Wars Legion. I currently enjoy painting armour with metallic paints. Applied some Nun Oil to a silver layer and was happy with some of the effects that created. How many different paints do I need? What do you think of contrast paints? Got a couple but the results are a bit hit and miss, I think.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Contrast paints have been a pleasant surprise and I've bought a few with some plans to paint up about eight Gnolls for a D&D session this weekend.

As for tips for beginners, you can never go wrong thinning your paints, even metallics. A properly applied wash is an easy way to get depth but can also be used to change the overall tone of an area. For me, a nice big brush with a sharp point is better than a tiny brush.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

Do you have any tips for beginners? I plan to mostly paint GW miniatures, maybe some Star Wars Legion. I currently enjoy painting armour with metallic paints. Applied some Nun Oil to a silver layer and was happy with some of the effects that created. How many different paints do I need? What do you think of contrast paints? Got a couple but the results are a bit hit and miss, I think.

My advice for new painters:

-Paint whatever speaks to you. Take your time and select something that you are drawn to. Also, don't buy a hundred minis on your first go.

-Have the right tools for the job, at least the bare essentials. Have the paints, a variety of brushes, and spray primer. Have an exacto knife to trim and file down any flash.

-Have a plan. Put thought into your miniature. Know your colors, your plan of attack, and follow through.

-Don't make good the enemy of perfect. You're not painting for a Golden Demon competition. Keep your expectations in line with your end goal.

-Do not spend a lot of money! I use craft paints and craft store brushes. Price should not be a barrier to this hobby. You can go hog wild later

-Take a pic of your mini next to all the paints you used. This comes in super handy if you need to recreate the look or you take a break from a group of minis. Having the visual reference to grab the same paints is invaluable.

- Thin your paints. Just add water. It should have a milk like consistancy.

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017

I started by watching Sorastro's painting series on the Lord of the rings figures from the fantasy flight board game. He uses a very approachable technique and uses only colors from the Vallejo model colors starter set. I'd watch those videos for the general approach and then look up his videos on legion. I had never painted before, followed his methods, and was very happy with the results.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017

This is a really, really cool idea.

I've been writing down outlines and concepts for a similar survival game, but the theme revolved around surviving a post apocalyptic setting. I read something a while ago that said that cosmonauts have guns in their return craft in case they encounter dangerous wildlife (bears) and I wanted to use that. One concept had you playing as a lone, or team of cosmonauts returning from space to a world that had been taken over by some crazy media campaign that hypnotized viewers and had enslaved most of the world's population. This game here seems like it would be a great basis for that as a lot of the gameplay concepts overlap with what I had in mind, including a fog of war type system, cooperative gameplay, and enemy AI. A lot of my inspiration for the environment and feel came from artwork by Scott Listfield and Simon Stalenhag and I'm excited to work on the terrain for it someday.

I may be geeking out a bit over what currently mostly lives as a Word file with abstracts and wishlists but I'm glad that someone has already taken a solo/team survival angle and put out rules for it. I need to get my hands in this book.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Zombicide Ablomination complete! I always want to put my own spin on the things I paint and this guy is no different. I wanted the giant arm to look like it suddenly grew right from his body in order to stretch out and grab the survivors. He is particularly gooey, which is always a ton if fun to paint. At the very least, he is original lol. I almost changed his color scheme twice. I'm glad I stuck with it. This is one of the color schemes that I was planning to use for the Zombicide Invader set. I wanted a super 80's neon look. This guy was a great experiment!

vxElCWF.jpg
eTUjExc.jpg

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to finish the Descent base game minis last year. Here I am in 2020, fighting to find the motivation to finish the last two of the base game monsters with four heroes and lieutenants to go... Did it at last and the shadow dragons are finally done!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
My first attempt at using SuperSculpey didn't go great (it definitely could have been a lot worse), but I hope it turns out alright after painting it.
8sB06xC.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished a mini, been in the process of moving a getting a painting area set up so it's good to be back again haha.

sackboy97 that looks awesome, wish I could sculpt haha. Amazing work!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to finish the Descent base game minis last year. Here I am in 2020, fighting to find the motivation to finish the last two of the base game monsters with four heroes and lieutenants to go... Did it at last and the shadow dragons are finally done!

I love your Descent stuff

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Abominotaur done. I wanted him to look unique so I came up with the sick glowing green which also makes him stand out when on a crowded board.

hURFJLv.jpg
VTi9dY6.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm continuing the momentum with a couple of heroes that I painted at the same time last night. I'm trying to have a very productive March.

hPXnQLa.jpg
KF8Jnj4.jpg