• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work. I particularly like the red. Is there multiple layers of black shade on it?
Thanks it's just one layer of army painter strong tone. Basically, after priming the model (zenithal with an airbrush) I basecoated the whole thing with Vallejo game air gory red through the airbrush, trying to keep it thin. Then I hit it with the strong tone trying to get it in the folds and avoid pooling. Then dry brush with Vallejo model flat red. Overall it was very easy and not too many steps. I find red impossible to paint on large areas with a brush but with an airbrush I can get a good result.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
With my PC offline, I had some extra time to do Things I Should Do But I Never Do, like finishing my Gob team for Blood Bowl.

J4KfRyi.jpg
XYNQAZS.jpg

The trolls (Fantasy/AoS River Trolls/Troggoths) are still on the bench work, not even fully mounted yet.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My PC has been out of commission for almost 2 weeks now. A new one is arriving on Wednesday. During the downtime, I have done a lot more working and a lot less painting. I have 4-5 different miniatures in various states of progress. I need to buckle down and commit to finishing them off.

Once my new PC arrives, I am breaking my painting table down and only keeping the handful of paints out required to batch paint my human zombies. I will be focusing on the new WoW expansion + new PC + new monitor triple threat for the foreseeable future!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a dragon that I very slowly worked on for awhile, feel pretty finished with him at this point:

kmX1YOEl.jpg

fG9OADxl.jpg

Actually, the base definitely still needs to be touched up, but the actual dragon is pretty much done. I feel like I could maybe do a bit more with the wings, but there's already several layers of different yellows on it.

I also worked on this old school Demogorgon model. Pics aren't the best cus of the lighting, but I think he's got my best highlighting job I've done:
IDzFDVJl.jpg

Z3MCTRXl.jpg

I'm working on this model right now, she's gonna be the boss to the first arc of my DnD campaign (she's also a survivor from Black Plague)
B9PjIJdl.jpg

zzjCbOEl.jpg

She's just at the base coat stage right now, and I feel like she needs something else to pop out a bit more.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That dragon is beautiful. So bright without looking too cartooney!

m6OvleP.jpg

Just finished this dude. Gonna be part of a fluffy legion I'm thinking of putting with my admech.
Idea is that Cawl wanted some marine agents to carry out his own bidding in secret, so used Iron Warrior geneseed to develop his own mini legion. Mostly I just wanted to try out a new scheme...

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
looking cool man - guy third from the right is wondering wtf his Sergeant has given him
"is it a comms radio? shit I'm definitely going to die"

Oct 25, 2017
wow mikeside that space marine looks really great. love the gold and red.

been plinking away on the shadespire skeleton team. hopefully they're done in a week or so. Hard to find more than 45-60 minutes to paint here and there.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Errrhm... so today there was a Blood Bowl tournament, and I decided to go with the Goblins I linked some posts above. Nothing out of the ordinary, except that somehow I managed to win the "Best Painted" prize. I mean, yeah, I can understand the team may look cool and things like the Troll using the human catcher as mace may give extra points, but no, seriously, WTF is this madness. My brain can't compute it.

There were 3 more teams on the same level than mine at the very least, and two more clearly better in my opinion. Certain red-silver Human team was just gorgeous and way above my level. My only explanation (and I still can't buy it) is the Catcher Troll conquering the heart of the guy who decided this. He really, really loved it.

Not that it matters at all, as is just an anecdote at the end (although the 15€ gift card for the store is quite nice to have :P), but I can't stop my head on going back to it, nor my face on creating a stupid smile.

Me winning a painting thing. Beware, the trumpets of the Apocalypse may start sounding at any moment.

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations Kharnete.

There's a lesson there. A big chunk of the hobby is the modeling side. I'd much rather award a Nurgle Blitzball player that's just three Nurglings stacked on top of each other over a Dreadnought painted entirely in SENMM.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
jebus kreebus that looks cool af

I also kinda agree that "cool models" makes for more interesting stuff than "perfect paintjobs". But if I saw that in real life I'd probably cry.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd agree with you if it was just NMM, but god damn it something painted entirely in SENMM is just too freaking cool my gawd. It beats the three nurglings, it just does! Also, congrats Kharnete, that's really awesome! Hopefully I'll have some models to post here later today/tomorrow. I've had a few mostly done but waiting on me to finish up their bases or do some highlights, just gotta get around to doing them.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
If we get goblin flyers using dandelion spores for flight I'll plunk down some cash for a start collecting box right away. There must be a goblin release coming soon, some people on Reddit have been speculating that the model teasers are pointing towards spiders or something.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I never focused in them much lore wise but modeling wise I don't remember much of a presence of mushrooms in their kits.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
LUVL7Us.jpg

I've finally got my desk cleaned up. For months I'd been using my coffee table in the living room but I've decided to go back to my dedicated painting space I had when I first got this apartment. It'll be a disaster shortly so I thought I'd take a picture for historical documentation purposes.

I have company coming into town and staying with me this coming weekend so my apartment is going under some deep cleaning which means I won't get to give this a spin just yet but here's hoping it gives me the kick in the ass I need to put some work in.

Oct 25, 2017
nice work area!

mine is a bit of a disaster right now. Been cranking away on some terrain. hopefully will be done soon with pictures.

Heads up, also, ebay is having 15% off sitewide today with the code PREGAME15. Lots of GW stuff on pre-order/order now between LOTR stuff, Adeptus Titanicus, and the new 40k box set.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I love using the eBay sitewide sales to pick up minis and GW stuff especially. Gonna hold off on this one, though. Trying to cut back my hobby spending. They usually have the sales once a month (I believe this is actually the 2nd one in August though)

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard the rules are really good. At first, atmospheric combat with ships that size didn't interest me but after playing Dreadnought I've come around. Are those new ships? Because they look nothing like what I saw when the game first came out.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard the rules are really good. At first, atmospheric combat with ships that size didn't interest me but after playing Dreadnought I've come around. Are those new ships? Because they look nothing like what I saw when the game first came out.

You already know more than me lol. I literally just saw some ships and thought "cool, wonder if miniature Era can tell me more".

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally got around to finishing some stuff!
Here's my Ruststalkers and a Terrax Assault Drill!

I tried to paint the drill the same colour as my admech cloaks but couldn't get it looking good so went with red instead to be original
9a8UDkc.jpg

DXhQR5Y.jpg

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
My Kill Team is starting to take shape. First miniature complete, a Reiver Sergeant, except for the base as I still don't know how I want to paint them.

vrsZ3PH.jpg

I tried the "zenital airbrush" way to paint the armor. And while I'm really happy with it, I think I did the effect too subtle. Is hard as nails to appreciate it on pictures, and isn't even easy on live.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just saw your post of this on Reddit - looks great. I can't imagine all that white is easy to get right but you've nailed it

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
The white was actually the easy part, thanks to certain thing God invented: an airbrush :P. I just primed the miniature with Vallejo grey, applied Ulthuan Grey on a ~45º angle, then regular White from a zenital position... and that's all. I should have added an extra darker colour before Ulthuan or just instead the grey primer to create a higher contrast, but oh well. I'll trey with future figures.

The hard part, which is also the one that makes it pop, is outline all the armour with black, as you can't do the regular wash as it would destroy the white. I found this to be a pain in the ass, especially because you can't easily fix any mistake due the transitions on the white. Somewhere the internet I found a method where you can use a dilluted wash for this *if* you first barnish the figure with gloss barnish so it doesn't stick outside the recesses, but it kinda scares me. Is something I'll need to test, because it would save me an insane amount of hours.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that guy looks freaking bad ass. I was looking to do my Shadespire Sigmar guys in white armor, cool to know how you got such a clean look for it. I'll have to try that out as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished my first Kill Team (well, my entire 20 Ork Command Roster). Picture spam!

Kaptin Stumpnek and his ladz
8769bdac-1636-438e-b8fezm.jpeg

7436ae03-b4c9-4032-bv0c8b.jpeg

3eccbd67-0d17-4a8d-96ge28.jpeg

Lootas
40d079d8-946c-40b4-bhjfi4.jpeg

Burnas
61dfe368-0527-4a96-8qndg1.jpeg

Mek Spanner and Git 2 (AKA Da Choppa)
072e112c-2520-4fad-b0nd6w.jpeg

Group shot
73db67bf-4830-4e70-btfc44.jpeg

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice, they're fab. Love the weathering on all the metal components (along with the occasional blood splatters). They all look ded Orky.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
That's fuckingly great, love everything of them. The weapon's/metal weathering is Typhus+Ryza?

Oct 26, 2017
Cheers guys! Very pleased with them, they're the result of a rushed hour a night when the kids have gone to bed over the course of a month. Hopefully going to start spamming out some games with them in the next couple of days.

Close on the rust, it's typhus and fire dragon bright (I think that's the layer version of ryza, right?).

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Killer work in here as usual. I'm torn between doing White Scars or Raven Guard for Kill Team so that Reiver with that awesome top knot is some mighty fine inspiration.

And that metal on the Orks is especially nice. They look like they'd be a nightmare to fight against but at least one team is going to look great on the table top.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Three of six!*

cZ7R3uj.jpg

*Technically more due the command roster, but hey, I don't think I will ever field more than 6 guys on Kill Team :P

EDIT: Woopsie, I forgot to shade the red/brown on the helmet. Already solved on the figure, although not on the pictures.

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome. You didn't carve in those recesses in the leg right? The dark line with the panel highlight is really convincing. Even when zoomed in. That is one steady hand, wow.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
On the greave and knee? Na, I just cheated using one of these pens for the black line (the 0.1 in this case). The highlight is easy to do once you have the reference, and can be corrected/narrowed with some extra red. You only need to be careful on not painting over the black.

My hands are actually a living earthquake.

SbgNHiE.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
After far too long of a painting break, I jumped in today and knocked out all 18 Spectral Walkers for Zombicide Black Plague. My self imposed rule of wanting something unique and different from every other Spectral Walker out there would not allow me to paint them green or blue. With the librarian from Ghost Busters as my inspiration, I came up with the following paint scheme. I'm pretty happy with them. I painted all of them in 1.5hrs total. The paint scheme was probably the easiest I have ever done.

5b7QHx3.jpg
VeIRKXG.jpg