• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have two spare Warmachine Mystery Boxes I'm looking to unload. I spent $60 on each of these, willing to part with them for similar value. I have:

Cygnar
MK III Battlebox
Stormwall / Hurricane Colossol kit
Stormclad / Reliant Heavy kit
Cyclone / Defender / Ironclad Heavy kit
Lancer Light

Cryx
MK III Battlebox
Kraken / Sepulcher Colossol kit
Slayer / Erebus Heavy kit
Corruptor / Reaper / Malice Heavy kit
2X Ripjaw Light

PM me to make arrangements if you dig it. I'm in Midwest US.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Anton Guffin complete!

dcb8PWN.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Started working on my first kill team of Drukhari Wyches, it's such a fun game, super refreshing to be able to play 40k without having to spend an entire day doing it lmao. I started with one of my standard wyches. Still gotta touch her up but she's looking really solid. A friend of mine is helping me paint em since I'm rubbish.

PJxWW74.jpg

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I spent the weekend getting my first fullsize Imperial Knight painted up ready for my Armies on Parade board:

4jCNo4R.jpg

ZpyujOd.jpg

So now my admech army looks like this:

P9lhZNu.jpg

I think I'm going to add in my other regular Knight, or maybe my 2 Knight Helverins then consider that enough for the board

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
With three friends from my game's club we decided to buy Gloomhaven, and oh my. What an amazing game. I've always had a weak spot for dungeon crawlers and there are several out there that I *really* love, but this one blows all of them out the water. The use of action cards for the players and the "IA" deck for the monsters is such a wonderful combination.

I also decided to paint the miniatures we are using, as only the heroes have figures. I've finished a couple, the Cragheart and the Spellweaver. It may be the first time I've managed to do a quick job without feeling frustrated XD

5X5igak.jpg

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
love the Wytches - they're dark, but Drukhari are supposed to be - the flesh brightens them up and all too often I find the hair to be over the top and garish on those models. You've avoided that problem but the hair still looks vibrant, great job!

I'm still working on my Armies on Parade board. Got it mostly arranged and planned now, just gotta work on digging out a pool of irradiated sewage and painting a bunch of the terrain that's going on it, then I can PVA and paint the actual board!

jGr6d9T.png

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
So I just realized it's been awhile since I've actually posted any pics of my minis in here, so forgive the forthcoming image dump. But here goes!

MToVlP1l.jpg

That guy is from the Malign Sorcery Warhammer Age of Sigmar set, and while I don't play Warhammer I did see several pieces in it that could be used for DnD and saw it at a really good price so I picked it up. I used the new Hexwraith Flame shade paint from GW and really liked how it came out. Don't think you can tell in the pic but I did some subtle OSL on the base.

sg2Svyxl.jpg

I may have posted this guy before, but now he's got a fancy base I picked up from a hobby store in Baltimore.

be0yzqFl.jpg

I know I've posted her before, but that was just a base coat. Here I have her with highlights and I used a gemstone paint for the top of her bow. I like how it came out, interested in using it on more things. Debating on giving her a fancy base now, since her plain base just looks boring. (However, she's also a Zombicide model and while I plan on using her in DnD I figure I should leave her base as is for Zombicide dealings)

RyA0yVvl.jpg

etMR6e1l.jpg

A couple of Gnolls I painted up. I'm particularly happy with our their snouts came out. First time I really used reference pics (googled hyenas) and I did some blending (very minimal, obviously). Might go back to add spots to them. Along with some highlights, but they are just gnoll guys so I didn't want to spend too much time on them.

8JtBkPsl.jpg

LJ5Cd7Hl.jpg

I just painted this guy last night and I'm really happy with how his skin came out. I picked him out specifically to work on skin and highlights. I don't think the orange highlights come out so great on camera, but I can see them well in person.

o85ip2ql.jpg

mC7zXxvl.jpg

This guy I picked up to test out glazing and zenithal priming. He is pretty much painted exclusively in glaze paints, minus his fingernails/teeth. I have to say, last night when I was painting him I thought he looked pretty bad and couldn't really see if the zenithal was making a difference, but looking at him today I can clearly see it and think he came out pretty good.

Ru1205ql.jpg

This is obviously incomplete, but I was messing around with the Hexwraith Flame paint and a yellow glaze and I think it came out really well. Looks cool and ectoplasmy. Might have to go back to the Flaming Skull and add some yellow glaze to it.

q6TCaIHl.jpg

I really love this model, but she just doesn't feel right to me. I'm trying to get her to have colors that invoke a feeling of autumn. If any of you have any ideas on how to do this, let me know. She still needs highlights, but otherwise she's technically done. She's going to be used as a major Druid NPC in my DnD game.

I feel like I've got some other models painted since I last posted but these are all the ones I've got pics of. Also, man a lot of cool minis in here (and not so minis, talking about that very clean and awesome looking Imperial Knight!). I like the Druhkhari that are posted, might have to pick some of them up and use em as Drow in my DnD game. Obviously switching out the space guns for swords. Also Iron Man/Anton Guffen looks sweet! I gotta get to my Green Horde stuff, but first I've got a couple of Shadespire warbands to paint.

Oct 25, 2017
love the Wytches - they're dark, but Drukhari are supposed to be - the flesh brightens them up and all too often I find the hair to be over the top and garish on those models. You've avoided that problem but the hair still looks vibrant, great job!

Thanks man! I definitely over did the shade but it's kinda growing on me, they have a very "gritty" look because of it, like they've been in combat forever. The funny thing is I used the worst paints ever so I had to do like 20 coats just to get the color to look full. If you've ever used the army painter paints they're dirt cheap but my god there is a reason why they're so cheap. I think if I ever use these paints again I'm gonna buy some small ball bearings and drop em in the little bottles so I can actually get the medium to mix with the color.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks man! I definitely over did the shade but it's kinda growing on me, they have a very "gritty" look because of it, like they've been in combat forever. The funny thing is I used the worst paints ever so I had to do like 20 coats just to get the color to look full. If you've ever used the army painter paints they're dirt cheap but my god there is a reason why they're so cheap. I think if I ever use these paints again I'm gonna buy some small ball bearings and drop em in the little bottles so I can actually get the medium to mix with the color.

Lukes APS just did a great piece on fixing Army Painter paints
Look it up! but it's basically shake up the everloving hell out of them, then mix some of their mixing medium with water and put a few drops into the army painter paint - then they should from then on be much easier to get mixed just right!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Started practicing blending and shadows with these minis. I like how they are turning out so far!

sFakfW7l.jpg

zuAd08fl.jpg

Not sure what colors to make their hand/arms though. I don't wanna have too many colors going on, but I'm thinking a darkish blue. Or just the bone color of their heads, but the arms don't really look like bone.

Not sure what colors to make their hand/arms though. I don't wanna have too many colors going on, but I'm thinking a darkish blue. Or just the bone color of their heads, but the arms don't really look like bone.

I like the rich purple and the hexwraith wash came out quite well. I am about to start painting a set of these guys myself.

For the arms I personally might try just a dab of hexwraith flame wash in the recesses then drybrush white to keep the arms a ghostly white flesh with a hint of green shadow.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the purples were fun. (I also love painting with purples, so I was excited to use them).It's actually three different colors, Vallejo Hexed Lichen, Vallejo Stormy Blue and Vallejo Warlord Purple. Hexed Lichen was the basecoat, I put the Stormy Blue in the shadows and then a mix of Lichen and Warlord purple for the brighter spots. Might go over the brightest spots with just pure Warlord. I also tried blending them all together, and I think it mostly worked. There's a couple of spots where it doesn't look blended, but I think you'd have to be looking for them to see em. Might try to go back and fix those spots anyhow.

When using hexwraith flame, I'd definitely recommend doing two coats and then going over it with a yellow glaze. Helps a lot.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Finished up two of my Glaivewraiths. I like how they came out, but might have to go and touch up the bases a bit.

ocNgjYE.jpg

j0F5tfy.jpg

Here's a different angle to see more of the base
tdEy10o.jpg

I also started working on a shadespire model, finally!
acRd5gt.jpg

aDma5ZN.jpg

Debating on a silver or a bronze for her tabard thing. Also her hammer is not gonna be black/brown like that haha. Probably a silver with a bronze. Also, let me know if these pics are way too big, I can change em out for something smaller.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My armies on parade board is so close to being finished! Should be able to get the last of it ready this week, well in time for display on the 13th!

J8rsrR6.jpg

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
pTBx52J.jpg

9Z69BvY.jpg

YCvpqiO.jpg

Today's work.

30 Chaingasts about halfway done. Main body color was done with two coats of Druchii Violet, a recess shade of Guillimam Blue between the rags, and a drybrush with Ulthuan Grey. I'll probably go back and do more Ulthuan Grey so the bottom half fades to white a bit more.

All that's left are the weapons, which will be metal and not ethereal. For basing, I think something light like snow or tundra will make the purple stand out more. 10 more to go and I'll be done with my grunts. After that some characters, other units, and hopefully a Black Coach eventually. I'd also like to make Shyish themed terrain, maybe 4 to 6 pieces to match.

Any thoughts?

The colors on the two spooky boys look different because of the lighting. In person they're more even, though there are still some slight variations in the intensity, but not by much.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Yeah I think they need a bigger fade into white at the end of the rags. I'll probably get started on that, base them, and just do that bit of drybrushing to blend it over time since I'd like to get on with the rest of the army.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a mimic I've painted for a friend. I think it came out really nice:

hcc5TO3l.jpg

ERHji6tl.jpg

He gave me several minis, technically my first commission works!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I finished a Tainted Walker test model for Zombicide/Massive Darkness. Took about 1.5hrs, but a lot of that time was spent figuring out colors and watching Fright Night. I'm sure I can do thr others in half that time.

XsD4uZQ.jpg
bNqwoHC.jpg

A lot of great stuff on this page! This forum stops giving me updates on threads after awhile and I have to manually go into them. I get behind on my community threads, but this is one of my favorites to catch up on!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Red, yellow, and white is always a winning combination for me. I like how intense that red is.

Honestly, it's kind of my "cheat" color scheme because it is so easy to paint and pretty much always looks good. But I needed something eye catching for these tainted walkers and I have not used the scheme at all for any of this project. So if 19 out of 600 have it, I think I'm doing alright lol.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I went ahead and finished the Tainted Abomination too. He certainly turned out satanic looking! These red guys really pop on the board. They just reek of extra danger.

ouCThX6.jpg
Kd8AkUR.jpg
oqEyg1w.jpg

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
So because my gaming group collapsed I've decided to store some of my completed terrain in the closet instead of in my living room but before I do I thought I'd share with everyone here.

PHwhs99.jpg

These are city planters for scatter terrain designed for 28mm, specifically for an urban setting in Infinity. The back piece is meant to be some corporate art in a plaza made to look like weathered brass. These are super easy to make with great results. If you shop at a hobby supply store you can find wooden blocks for carving and other hobbies. It's literally a matter of light sanding, base coating, then drybrushing with different tones of grey for a concrete look. After that you can glue clump foliage made in different tones for shrubbery. The trees are Woodland Scenics armatures with more foliage glued on. Except for the artwork in the back, I cranked these out in a day. The piece in the back is based with a round wooden base, I think made for glass containers.

dBh6KI7.jpg

These are just smoke markers. Smoke grenades are a huge part of Infinity and rather than using dice or leaving a large template on the table we used these to center the marker and then measure with a template as needed. These have a copper jewelers wire structure with flock glued on, primed black, then zenithal spray of grey. These were actually made right when a game started and I had them ready before the game hit the halfway point so they got to see a game right away.

KHA4YX8.jpg

This was an early experiment with terrain. On the left is a scratch built dumpster made with plasticard. On the right is an alien rock formation, inspired by one of the planets in Destiny 2. I like how it turned out, especially the colors, but it's not exactly like in Destiny. It requires red foliage and I haven't gotten my hands on it. I'm pretty excited about revisiting that some day.

sNxnGXi.jpg

These used a plasticard base with other elements from plastic catwalk and truss kits. The left one needed trees and snow as it was going to match the one on the right, but I may rip off the base so it'll fit in any environment. Like on top of a building, a desolate, arid desert, or a lush jungle.

The radar on the left is actually a plain Christmas ornament. Glued it in place and used copper jeweler wire to make the cabling, which winds down the column. The control box at the bottom I got from an Astra Militarum kit I think.

The tank on the right is a can of Red Bull. That one was wired with brass rod because I wanted a solid piping element instead of cabling. The junction box at the top is just a small length of sprue, cut square and glued into place with a piece of heavy guitar string for an antenna. Same for both structures. The control panel on this one is a Astra Militarum Vox Caster backpack.

p1KvwtF.jpg

These last pieces are rock formations for our snow table. They are sheets of varying thickness of foam carved with a hot wire cutter (invaluable for terrain building) stacked and glued. I did some light sand flocking for the tops and drybrushed the top and sides before I added snow. These needed additional snow added on top in the form of a paste instead of being sprinkled over PVA. The trees are also Woodland Scenics tree armatures, flocked and sprayed from above with adhesive glue and sprinkled from above with snow. That required a couple of passes.

As always, feedback is welcome and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I pledged about $400 to my first Kickstarter for Arena Rex a few years ago. The company is still around and just had a new major release. As with any other Kickstarter you just need to be careful with who you back and understand the risks involved. Especially with something involving miniatures.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
How often do you guys use kickstarter for miniatures? I've back several and follow some creators cause they're periodically throwing projects up.

I'm currently hoping this is succeeds. https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tasy-figures-for-wargames-and-r?ref=user_menu

I could use some Game of Thrones inspired miniatures.

I only kickstart particular games. I never use it to purchase one offs like miniatures. They have to have a good reputation before they get my seed money!

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
That link I posted, fireforge does good minis. Mostly plastic kits geared towards historical war games like their own, deus vault.

Their plastic kits are pretty solid.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
First off, man those look really good. Second off, I'm also making their armor white and find I'm having some trouble with it. I've been using lighter greys but feeling like they still have a chalky look to them. What whites did you use/technique to get it looking so nice? Also let's see that guys cape, c'mon now!

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Lol more pics then tonight for sure!

As for the armor, the the guys I used: Rakarth Flesh (base) -> Agrax Earthshade (Shade) -> Pallid Wych Flesh (Layering Highlights)

For the gal: Ushabti Bone (base) -> Agrax Earthshade (Shade) -> White Scar (Layering Highlights)

The best advice that even I have to do more is more, wet, thin layers over the base coat.

Also more loaded brush work for great and quick blending.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, interesting. I used Vallejo Stonewall Gray (base) and then went with GW Ulthuan Gray on top. Didn't use a wash. I'll have to try that.

Might just be my technique. I'll have to look up loaded brush, don't think I've done that before.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to share this excellent tutorial with you all. It is fantastic stuff.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Loaded brush is fun. Test this out sometime:

Base coat a mini black.
Then take your brush, load it up partially with black paint.
Then dab the point of the brush tip into white paint.
Now place on location of your choosing and start going back and forth and move slowly downward. You basically start blending the white into the black and cause a gradient effect.

Hard initally but stick with it for the huge pay offs!

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Very clean figures up there. Love them. And I really, *really* like the Sigmarine bases.

On my part, I've finished an Iron Golems dryad to use as Willow Rosebark on my Halfling team.

eYGE4W4.jpg

Base pending on grabing some extra grass.

Loaded brush is fun. Test this out sometime:

Base coat a mini black.
Then take your brush, load it up partially with black paint.
Then dab the point of the brush tip into white paint.
Now place on location of your choosing and start going back and forth and move slowly downward. You basically start blending the white into the black and cause a gradient effect.

Hard initally but stick with it for the huge pay offs!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Gosh, somehow I crushed getting another miniature done since last Thursday. This is a literal first for time spent on something and completing it.

jF6OJPP.jpg

z4Q4WxE.jpg

Soooo.... you come here often?
vRellSe.jpg