• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeus

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, new around here. Been a casual modeller/painter/gamer for 40k for just shy of a decade now. I mostly just made a small army of necrons (that are quite shockingly painted) then played with that again and again just to play with a very enthusiastic friend. Always been an avid follower of both on places like Dakka Dakka though!
About a year back i challenged myself to try the shoe on the other foot with some lizardmen, who i put a lot of effort into modelling and painting (love me some dinos) but will likely never play with. They turned out way better than i expected although they're nothing close to the level of a pro. I'm most happy with the custom jungle markings on my Slanns back. They were a nightmare to do but the result exceeded my expectations. :)

Recently i've been going back and forth on giving WarmaHordes a go but the local playerbases i've found to be pretty full-on so may just paint a few.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey staffy!

Lord of the Rings miniatures always looked great to me - I would've been tempted to get them just for displaying to be honest, but there's no way my paint queue will ever be small enough to justify it lol

OnTheLam

Oct 27, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Playing a game of Epic30k tomorrow against a buddy. I'm running Iron Hands and he's using his Ultramarines. We're both a few model short of fully painted armies, but we're both eager to start getting games in.

Here's a few pictures of what I have painted so far:

Medusa Artillery Tanks
Hw8Gw.jpeg

Sicaran Battle Tanks
RkfAZ.jpeg

Basilisk Artillery Tanks
o8WLF.jpeg

Tactical Marine Detachment with Heavy Support Squads and Rhinos
TPH97.jpeg
oSuZB.jpeg

Medusan Immortals with Spartan Assault Tank
F8S18.jpeg

Xiphon Interceptors
TPiog.jpeg

Gorgon Terminators with Spartan Assault Tanks
hSjvD.jpeg
ckK0Gjf.jpg

Legion Terminators
dp9wZ.jpeg

And here's a picture I was messing around in LensFX with:
Wvob3.png

Once I'm not so busy with work and have a fully painted army I plan on trying to do some video battlereports. But that means I'll need to finish painting terrain as well haha. If it doesn't slow the game down too much tomorrow I might try recording it as a photo battle report and will post it here.

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I have the Felloship of the Ring on sprues I want to make a diorama of. Some day...

Testing image posting with a unfinished Raven Guard. I have absolutely nothing finished from the last half a year but that's parenthood I suppose.

OPEVJ.jpg

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
It's just me or the pictures from the last two posts doesn't show up? Weirdly enough, if I quote them they appear here on the textbox.

On the other hand, an update on the modular urban table we are working on the club, including some of the new laser cut bridges.

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
It's just me or the pictures from the last two posts doesn't show up? Weirdly enough, if I quote them they appear here on the textbox.

On the other hand, an update on the modular urban table we are working on the club, including some of the new laser cut bridges.

Weird, I can see my pic but not yours or Lam's.

And yeah, if I quote I can see them.

Edit. and now Lam's pics popped up. Stranger things happening on Era!

OnTheLam Where are those epic scale 30k minis from? They look great.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
On the image problem, according to this thread is an issue with Imgur blocking Resetera due new high traffic. It should be solved in the next few days, but meanwhile we should use another host like Abload or so.

Upated my picture links.

Oct 26, 2017
Reposting from the 40K thread, my Tau Pathfinder team (well at least the first 7 of them). They are painted in Farsight Enclave colors - because we don't have time for the greater good.

iFT2yNY.jpg

The newest addition

BcESveP.jpg

The OG squad

41tD7mA.jpg

The drones

Qg4A015.jpg

Plasma Carbine

QSLH8Y1.jpg

The leader

XgVET6Z.jpg

One of the heavies and his slightly burnt friend. I went a little overboard on Nuln Oil...

Rhythmaxed

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone I am pretty new to the hobby, got in earlier this year with a game called relic knights tho I am probably going to switch over and start collecting and playing Warmachine soon. I used the coupons from the humble bundle to grab a beginner box and hopefully I can get a friend to try the game out with me.
Just started to learn how to paint my minis and find it pretty relaxing and enjoyable even tho I am not all that good at it.
Found some good tutorials for painting online and realized I was doing a few things wrong to fix when I try painting some more.
With luck they come out looking better :)

21457812_10154857730032452_307409878757368513_o.jpg

JWn59mr.jpg

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Here is my first mini that I painted last night. I'm especially embarrassed about the eyes, but aside from that it looks ok I think.

aezlvm.jpg

image.php

pvdjox.jpg

I'm not sure if the picture is actually showing up?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up knocking out around 15 zombies yesterday, which is neither great nor bad. 20 would've been good, but 25 would have been excellent. Oh well. The wife wanted to watch Stranger Things 2 and she sure didn't have to twist my arm haha. Only 31 walkers to go...

Pics are: Skinners, all my different runner types converging from both sides on one location, Seeker + Toxic, and finally Seekers + Berserkers

I know I've shown these before, but I wanted to test the pic function on this board.

ivMk2aL.jpg
RZOrOUu.jpg
XzpNWSw.jpg
s8Yxox4.jpg
cU2NMFy.jpg

OnTheLam

Oct 27, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Here is my first mini that I painted last night. I'm especially embarrassed about the eyes, but aside from that it looks ok I think.

aezlvm.jpg

image.php

pvdjox.jpg

I'm not sure if the picture is actually showing up?

They definitely look better than my first minis. You might want to try out washes as your next step to help define the shadows of the minis and help the details pop. Games Workshop's shades are the standard for most people. Nuln Oil (Black wash) and Agrax Earthshade (Brown wash) are general all purpose shades.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up knocking out around 15 zombies yesterday, which is neither great nor bad. 20 would've been good, but 25 would have been excellent. Oh well. The wife wanted to watch Stranger Things 2 and she sure didn't have to twist my arm haha. Only 31 walkers to go...

Pics are: Skinners, all my different runner types converging from both sides on one location, Seeker + Toxic, and finally Seekers + Berserkers

I know I've shown these before, but I wanted to test the pic function on this board.

ivMk2aL.jpg
RZOrOUu.jpg
XzpNWSw.jpg
s8Yxox4.jpg
cU2NMFy.jpg

I can't even imagine pumping out 20 minis in a day. I'll probably get 4 done today, and that's just because they're really simple sculpts that I can't really do much with. On average, I'm probably spending 2-3 hours on a "hero" model or anything else that has a decent sculpt.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely look better than my first minis. You might want to try out washes as your next step to help define the shadows of the minis and help the details pop. Games Workshop's shades are the standard for most people. Nuln Oil (Black wash) and Agrax Earthshade (Brown wash) are general all purpose shades.

Thanks for the tip! So, I thought I did a wash (I made one according to the instructions in the how to paint booklet that came with the mini and paints), but I also showed a friend who paints and he said the same thing as you. So whatever I ended up doing obviously didn't work well. Might have to just go ahead and buy those Game Workshop shades. Might paint another mini after work tonight, but at the same time there's Mario and Stranger Things 2 calling out to me.

OnTheLam

Oct 27, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Thanks for the tip! So, I thought I did a wash (I made one according to the instructions in the how to paint booklet that came with the mini and paints), but I also showed a friend who paints and he said the same thing as you. So whatever I ended up doing obviously didn't work well. Might have to just go ahead and buy those Game Workshop shades. Might paint another mini after work tonight, but at the same time there's Mario and Stranger Things 2 calling out to me.

On second inspection I did notice there's a slight shade there. It might be the shade mixture was too thin.

Oct 26, 2017

15-20 a day? How do you find the time? I just started and I spend at least two days on each miniature. Then again I'm sort of meticulous and I hate to make mistakes.

I mean this is the best I did so far and it took me two days.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
15-20 a day? How do you find the time? I just started and I spend at least two days on each miniature. Then again I'm sort of meticulous and I hate to make mistakes.

I mean this is the best I did so far and it took me two days.

Dude, these zombies are a cake walk. Prime, drybrush entire mini with darkest purple, then certain parts lighter purple, then certain parts lightest purple. Hit the skin with a white highlight, paint the base gray, and the trim with black. Done. I can production line these and knock out 1 every 10 minutes on average or so. They are not hard at all. It's the style and group setting that make them look better than what they would appear one on one with a careful eye. That was all part of my plan!

Now, the survivors and their zombivors counterparts take time. Probably 3-4 hours depending if I have a scheme in mind in advance or if I am making it up as I go along which always takes longer.

heliconsoul

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I've mostly been working on a 30k Space Wolves army recently as my previous army was a 40k Wolves army. I absolutely love the heresy models, recently finished my Russ so here's some pics:

img_4396pokzw.jpg

img_4400emj0m.jpg

img_43877ekx2.jpg

I'm currently working on my blood bowl dwarves as I have a tournament in January! Also very excited to see what the Necromunda releases bring past the initial few houses, have fond memories of that game.

image.php

image.php

image.php

OnTheLam

Oct 27, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Thank you, it's a great model to work on, the forgeworld models do a lot of the heavy lifting for you as the sculpts are amazingly detailed. I have Magnus to paint for the full diorama and he terrifies me.

Also OnTheLam those mini Xiphons are ace, I have a full size one in my paint queue and I love them!

Thanks! I'm going to start working on my 28mm Iron Hands soon so I can bring them to Adepticon along with my 6mm Iron Hands. Great looking Russ!

Twig

Oct 25, 2017

Whoa I really like that idea and I might steal it for my own Zombicide stuff should I ever get back to it. D:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
That Russ is great. I love the metals on it. Such a dynamic model too, he's one of my favorite Primarch models.

Type2

Oct 27, 2017
First off, i wanted to say hello since I didn't participate here on the old forum. I'm down to give painting tips ( I'm no pro but I've been doing it a while) and talk about tabletop games. I mostly paint for my Dnd games that I run but I wanted to ask folks about wargaming.

One of my players really wants me to play warhammer. What's it like? Is it expensive to get into? Does anyone play?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
If you do some searching you might be able to find people selling stuff they don't want anymore which could save you a lot of money. Warhammer, at least in my experience, is probably the most expensive miniature wargame in a hobby that is pretty expensive to begin with.

Right now seems to be the best time to get into Warhammer, be it 40k or Age of Sigmar. I honestly haven't seen this much enthusiasm for the games in the twelve years I've been in the hobby.

The game itself has been simplified in ways that I feel are major improvements. The meta seems to be tilting towards masses of cheap units to screen more expensive units (cultists and conscripts). However over time I think the meta will stabilize.

Oct 26, 2017
First off, i wanted to say hello since I didn't participate here on the old forum. I'm down to give painting tips ( I'm no pro but I've been doing it a while) and talk about tabletop games. I mostly paint for my Dnd games that I run but I wanted to ask folks about wargaming.

One of my players really wants me to play warhammer. What's it like? Is it expensive to get into? Does anyone play?

One piece of advice I would like to offer is, pick the army you like. Don't obsess over stats and meta. If you like the style, asthetic, or even the lore of a particular army, go for it.

If you do some searching you might be able to find people selling stuff they don't want anymore which could save you a lot of money. Warhammer, at least in my experience, is probably the most expensive miniature wargame in a hobby that is pretty expensive to begin with.

Right now seems to be the best time to get into Warhammer, be it 40k or Age of Sigmar. I honestly haven't seen this much enthusiasm for the games in the twelve years I've been in the hobby.

The game itself has been simplified in ways that I feel are major improvements. The meta seems to be tilting towards masses of cheap units to screen more expensive units (cultists and conscripts). However over time I think the meta will stabilize.

True. I've seen whole armies on sale on ebay, Craigslist, etc. But for me buying and painting them myself is half the fun.

As soon as my Pathfinder team is done, it's either Crisis Suits or Commander Farsight himself for the next project.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

what it is like depends on what you want out of it I guess. As a competitive game I think it's rather bad (at least compared to highly competitive boardgames, like Twilight Struggle or Puerto Rico for example), but if you approach it as a narrative game where you just want to see cool stuff happen I think it can be quite good. As for expense.... boy I have spent a lot of money on miniatures over the years but you do not have to. I recently played in an event that was based on just assembling a force out of the "start collecting" box sets and those boxes are a decent value and give you enough models to have fun, small battles with. From there you can just build on with a unit here and there. That said, GW still gouges the shit out of you on character models. $30 primaris marine character models are ridiculous, for example. My general advice would be to just pick an army that you want to paint, and then play the game as a secondary part of the hobby, because unless you are a very fast painter or just spend a lot of time playing tabletop games you will be spending far more time at the painting table than at the gaming table.

I agree with the above sentiment also that there is a lot of excitement about the hobby right now. Personally I think GW is doing a good job at having games at a variety of different price points and entry levels. If you want to get started with 40k you can always do Shadow War Armageddon which just requires a few models, or with AoS there is Skirmish and now Shadespire, so there is a jumping off point for each of the major games.

OnTheLam

Oct 27, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Played a game of Epic30k today but only made it through one turn before my buddy had to take care of something. One turn still took a hour or so since we were both rusty on the rules and the game only lasts 3 or 4 turns total.

Type2

Oct 27, 2017
One piece of advice I would like to offer is, pick the army you like. Don't obsess over stats and meta. If you like the style, asthetic, or even the lore of a particular army, go for it.

True. I've seen whole armies on sale on ebay, Craigslist, etc. But for me buying and painting them myself is half the fun.

As soon as my Pathfinder team is done, it's either Crisis Suits or Commander Farsight himself for the next project.
Whoops, I feel dumb but it looks like warmachine is the game he wants me to play!

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still miss 40k Eric, was that really a unpopular game enough to kill off? Still have my Eldar and Squat armies.

Glad that Space Hulk got rereleased, still working on molding the game board with dental plaster.

Boy, it's a project. :P

Oct 25, 2017
Whoops, I feel dumb but it looks like warmachine is the game he wants me to play!
Oh haha, I haven't played it in a long time but back when I did my recollection was that most of the strategies relied on building synergies within your army and comboing off to kill your opponent's commander. Same basic advice applies: pick the models you like the most and worry about the game / rules as a secondary thing. I also think they have some pretty affordable starter boxes, but not sure what the quality of the plastic models are these days. I had a Hordes 2 player starter set that was quite bad in that regard. The old metal ones weren't bad.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Warmachine I actually know something about!

Warlocks/warcasters control warbeasts/warjacks, the big hulking models. You supplement them with smaller units or solos. When starting out you can just get a battlegroup starter, which comes with a single war___ and enough war___s to fill out their alotted points. AKA a 0-point game. That's cheap enough.

I agree that picking what you think looks cool is best.

Current meta, and what will be the meta from here on out according to Privateer Press, is theme forces, but you really don't need to worry about that when starting out. I only recently started using 'em a year after I started playing.

The one thing I don't like about Warmachine is metal models. Half of 'em are metal and half of 'em are plastic. I've heard horror stories about older plastic models, but these days people say they're better, I think. I know the newer models I've bought have a ton of detail and it looks real good. They do require some cleaning up, but I've had few issues re: lost detail.

I hate metal. ;_;

They also just released a new smaller skirmish game called Company of Iron. In this, there are no warcasters or warlocks. Probably better to start with the regular type of play, though.

Last edited:

Type2

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the advice! I ended up buying a Skorne army box since a local gaming store had it on sale. The rep was very knowledgeable and told me a lot of the stuff in this box is used in all sorts of armies. I'm going to read more about warlocks but two are already interesting to me. One is a control attrition kind of the style while the other is a rolling ball of death if I can set her up.

It was a really tough call between this and circle because I loved the look of both!

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
If you're more interested in Napoleonic Naval games, I can recommend Warhammer Historical's Trafalgar. It's a very beer and pretzels game and satisfies that Napoleonic naval itch for me. I play British and have 6 ships painted and rigged from Langton. Eventually I'm hoping to have the entire British OOB for the Battle of Trafalgar.

I looked up Trafalgar and as far as I can tell it's a set of rules but you have to source your own ships? I looked up Langton ships and they're gorgeous, but I'd probably need to source something from here in the states. The rulebook is out of print though right?

And although I thought I'd never get into historicals, do you have any recommendations for rank and file, big block unit historicals? Maybe Napoleonics but definitely something like ancient Greeks or Romans. I think those are generally 6mm scale.

And thanks for the suggestion.

OnTheLam

Oct 27, 2017
Alhambra, CA
I looked up Trafalgar and as far as I can tell it's a set of rules but you have to source your own ships? I looked up Langton ships and they're gorgeous, but I'd probably need to source something from here in the states. The rulebook is out of print though right?

And although I thought I'd never get into historicals, do you have any recommendations for rank and file, big block unit historicals? Maybe Napoleonics but definitely something like ancient Greeks or Romans. I think those are generally 6mm scale.

And thanks for the suggestion.

Hey there, Langton ships are probably the best 1:1200 scale Napoleonic ships you can get. They're definitely not inexpensive though. Each ship will run about $20+ USD since you have to buy the Hulls, Sail Sets (they make several different kinds depending on how you want to model your ship), Resin bases, Ratlines and Pennants all separately. I get all my ships from Brookhurst Hobbies located in Southern California. They carry the entire Langton range including the Trafalgar starter sets Langton makes. If you're interested in checking out the rules, PM me and I'll help you out.

If you're interested in 6mm Historicals but nothing completely crazy i.e. having to do historical research to build your force (lots of Napoleonic rulesets require you to do this) I recommend a game called Blücher by Sam Mustafa Publishing. The game is card based where a group of men is represented by a poker card with stats. Some people paint up 6mm models to put on top of the cards to give it a little more character. It's pretty easy to get into if you've never played a historical war game before. If you want something a little more grognard check out Age of Eagles. I have yet to play this game, but it's pretty popular among the Nappy crowd at my LGS. The rules are for 15mm models, but can be converted to 6mm I believe. This is a game where you would be researching historical battles and building accurate forces accordingly. I believe in the 2nd Ed. they came up with rules on building an army from points, but I haven't looked too deeply into it.

If you're looking for something in the Ancients realm, I can recommend Warmaster Ancients. It uses 10mm miniatures which you can get from a ton of different manufacturers and was written by Rick Priestly of Games Workshop fame. I don't play Ancients, but I do play the Warhammer Fantasy equivalent and it's quite fun. Again if you're looking for the rules, message me.

Hope the above helps! Here's a shot of my painted British Langton ships for Trafalgar. Just need to add some pennants and then they're done. The rigging was done using very fine thread:
KfNdENt.jpg

Last edited:

heliconsoul

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Found this cool miniature holder on kickstarter. I pledge $20 bucks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gameenvy/the-hobby-holder-a-better-way-to-paint-miniatures

I normally use corks, but since corks are kind of small, my hands get sore clenching on to them for long periods of time.

GW have an OK looking holder coming out this week. Doesn't look as nice as that one but it's only £5 and holds 25, 32 and 40mm models. Better than my usual blutack on a paint pot!

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
OnTheLam, that is some great information, thank you so much. I'll PM you here shortly.

And those ships look incredible.

Last edited: