• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Started my first painting tonight, first miniatures ever. I started with a Stormtrooper and had the goal of just doing the black/dark grey for the joints, eyes, blasters, and the other small details.

Did I do it wrong assembling the trooper before priming/painting? All the tutorials I watched had them assembling them first so I figured that was the way to go. But I really struggled to get paint at a few places. Is that normal? Does anybody ever paint some pieces before assembling?

But overall I got all the black parts done and loved it. Took forever, tried to be meticulous but had it in a few undesirable places but figured I can go over that with white or whatever. good stuff.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I'll send a courier over to lighten your load
I'm not THAT desperate for help. :P

I got a box of mystery Infinity miniatures and identifying all of them is a real pain in my ass. So far they all seem to be Ariadna, at least. Hopefully all of 'em are to save me from spending too much time on this. D:

Got at least one limited sculpt, which is kinda nice. I expect there's more. Hard to know for sure, though. So many. None of 'em assembled, either.

Last edited:

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Started my first painting tonight, first miniatures ever. I started with a Stormtrooper and had the goal of just doing the black/dark grey for the joints, eyes, blasters, and the other small details.

Did I do it wrong assembling the trooper before priming/painting? All the tutorials I watched had them assembling them first so I figured that was the way to go. But I really struggled to get paint at a few places. Is that normal? Does anybody ever paint some pieces before assembling?

But overall I got all the black parts done and loved it. Took forever, tried to be meticulous but had it in a few undesirable places but figured I can go over that with white or whatever. good stuff.

In a perfect world yes, some people prime before assembly, some even on the sprue. It's especially useful when painting a ton of minis at the same time.

I tend to assemble first. It can be problematic when painting but I love seeing the minis built and I can't really visualise how I want them to look without glueing everything up.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
yeah it's a real personal preference thing
once you've got a bit more finesse and brush control, it gets a lot easier to get in all the nooks and crannies that you'll struggle with at first

I still paint partly-built often to make things simpler

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017

I would say that most people assemble, or at least partially assemble, models prior to priming or painting. I do it because it can be really hard to sometimes to tell how things line up, where details need to be highlighted versus where they are barely seen and don't need as much attention, etc.

The more models you build and the more you paint, the easier it gets deciding how much of a model to build versus how many pieces to leave off for easier painting. And you'll get better at being able to reach the harder to reach places. A lot of times I end up leaving off weapons or capes until after painting because they tend to block other parts of the model.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
In a perfect world yes, some people prime before assembly, some even on the sprue. It's especially useful when painting a ton of minis at the same time.

I tend to assemble first. It can be problematic when painting but I love seeing the minis built and I can't really visualise how I want them to look without glueing everything up.
yeah it's a real personal preference thing
once you've got a bit more finesse and brush control, it gets a lot easier to get in all the nooks and crannies that you'll struggle with at first

I still paint partly-built often to make things simpler
I would say that most people assemble, or at least partially assemble, models prior to priming or painting. I do it because it can be really hard to sometimes to tell how things line up, where details need to be highlighted versus where they are barely seen and don't need as much attention, etc.

The more models you build and the more you paint, the easier it gets deciding how much of a model to build versus how many pieces to leave off for easier painting. And you'll get better at being able to reach the harder to reach places. A lot of times I end up leaving off weapons or capes until after painting because they tend to block other parts of the model.

This all definitely makes sense. I'll have to be a bit more careful going forward and think ahead a bit more. Unfortunately I assembled 7 or 8 figures last night and got the glue in there, so I'll just have to struggle for now.

I think the only real difficulty here will be a few stormtroopers holding rocket launchers on their shoulders, I can't get to the sides of their helmets or the side of the launcher - I'll have to figure it out though. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Will hopefully get a better photo of this guy later, as the lamps for my homemade lightbox are arriving today, but here's my brand new weirdboy :)

05QgWS9.jpg

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I tried to really restrict the colour palette painting the guy because I thought so too - without too much to muddy it up, the red and green is quite striking!

Has sort of left me wondering whether the smoke coming out of the staff should have been green too, but I didn't want it to look like poison or end up with too much green on the guy (especially when there'll unavoidably be so much green with any Ork army anyway!)

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Has sort of left me wondering whether the smoke coming out of the staff should have been green too, but I didn't want it to look like poison or end up with too much green on the guy (especially when there'll unavoidably be so much green with any Ork army anyway!)
I think you made the right choice. I am no colour expert, but the purple smoke does stand out much nicer on the model and helps define it as a focus point. Fab looking orc.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
thanks chaps!
I've got a vague plan that by the end of this year I'd like to have something painted that I wouldn't be embarrassed to submit to Golden Demon (not an expectation to win anything, just to be in the ballpark of submissions!) and I think this guy is a step in that direction for me! Got plenty more left on the production line, so plenty of practice between now and december :)

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

Messing around with this fella. I have a lot of Bloodbound sitting around. Nice change of pace from the deathwatch stuff.

He's cool. He came free with a White Dwarf. I finished him entirely except for the head, which I somehow lost. So he sits around without a head because I don't have any type of head that fits the aesthetic of the model. I did a cool base for him and everything.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
He's cool. He came free with a White Dwarf. I finished him entirely except for the head, which I somehow lost. So he sits around without a head because I don't have any type of head that fits the aesthetic of the model. I did a cool base for him and everything.

oh man! There are so many arguably better heads you could get from a bits place. Its a very cool model and worth finishing. Look up some khorne head bits and you will find something that will work I am sure! Finish him and post him!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Zombicide Swamp Lurker complete! Looks like I'm going to give themed bases to all my Abominations. This guy is invulnerable as long as he is on a water tile. I wanted him to look like he popped out of the swamp to grab an unexpected passerby. The base was fun but the water effects took 3 entire days to dry completely. He looks super nice on the board or when mixed with the standard or orc zombies in a display cabinet!

pKLZzuO.jpg

anzhoSW.jpg
JUO9CyK.jpg

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
That is a pretty sick swamp zombie.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get rid of all my Zombicide stuff. >_> (I just don't like the game enough, and I have so much it's taking up so much space.)

Still in the process of going through all of my minis (and board games with minis) and gosh I have so many. I'm sure plenty of people here, being similarly nerdy, have more, because I only started collecting recently, but geez I have too many. The pile of stuff I've already gone through is taking up so much space in my apartment right now. Between 40k, AoS, Warmahordes, Kingdom Death, and Myth, I've got well over a thousand unpainted minis. Why do I do this to myself?

(Zombicide would add a lot, but I'm not counting it anymore because like I said I do want to get rid of it.)

I also backed a game called Rivet Wars a long while back because it was shortly after Zombicide and I was on a minis Kickstarter high, like an idiot. They're kinda fun cartoony army minis, but I've never played it. I should get rid of them, too, I suppose. D:

Fortunately beyond that all I have left are games like Gloomhaven that have minis, but aren't minis games. Almost done!

And then I'll start painting my Necrons again 'cause I've committed to a six month campaign with some friends!!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
Let me know what you want to offload for Zombicide. I am looking for a few things still. Like the Knight Pledge & Huntsman packs, but not at ass raping prices.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There have been so many Warmachine sales since Black Friday. I bought into a couple of the blind boxes and then traded the parts out. I worked my way into pretty much a complete set of NIB Farrow. I've been playing Gatormen lately, so I'm excited to expand my Minions options a bit. I don't think there are many strong Farrow lists right now, but I'm holding out hope for a CID patch for them this year.

I did a bunch of assembly this weekend. I think I'm going to start painting them while half-watching the Superbowl next Sunday. After painting almost exclusively reptiles for the past year, it'll be nice to have some hair to work on!

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
"ass raping" is pretty questionable phrasing, to say the least. I was gonna say something, but then I didn't, but now I did. U:

There have been so many Warmachine sales since Black Friday. I bought into a couple of the blind boxes and then traded the parts out. I worked my way into pretty much a complete set of NIB Farrow. I've been playing Gatormen lately, so I'm excited to expand my Minions options a bit. I don't think there are many strong Farrow lists right now, but I'm holding out hope for a CID patch for them this year.

I did a bunch of assembly this weekend. I think I'm going to start painting them while half-watching the Superbowl next Sunday. After painting almost exclusively reptiles for the past year, it'll be nice to have some hair to work on!
I'm sorta curious about the future of Warmachine. It had been a while since I checked in but I did so a few weeks ago and I guess they've lost a lot of higher ups recently?

I still maintain that it's a much better GAME than 40k or AoS, so I sure hope it doesn't die. Not that I think it will, but...

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorta curious about the future of Warmachine. It had been a while since I checked in but I did so a few weeks ago and I guess they've lost a lot of higher ups recently?

I still maintain that it's a much better GAME than 40k or AoS, so I sure hope it doesn't die. Not that I think it will, but...

It's definitely been A Whole Thing in the community. A lot of visible employees left recently (apparently to start their own game company together, but nothing official announced yet), and Privateer Press brought on a new CEO. Lots of wild speculation that the company is gearing up to sell to someone / buy someone / move the HQ out of Seattle / do something big.

In the short term, at least, the rules are probably the tightest they've ever been, and PP has cool-sounding plans announced for 2019. It feels like a transition moment but it's not clear whether that's sunset or revitalization or what.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I have my first real AoS game this friday. Pretty excited! Very casual stuff, but I actually have a legal army! taking this more or less,

HQ
-Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger
-Knight-Vexillor (with the meteor standard because fun)
Troops
-5XSequitors
-5XSequitors
-10XLiberators
Other stuff
-3Xprosecutors with duel hammers
-1X Celestar Ballista

1000 pts on the nose!

- EDIT: Also! If anyone has any advice on artifacts/spells and such to take I would love advice! Otherwise I will be just kinda doing it randomly!

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely been A Whole Thing in the community. A lot of visible employees left recently (apparently to start their own game company together, but nothing official announced yet), and Privateer Press brought on a new CEO. Lots of wild speculation that the company is gearing up to sell to someone / buy someone / move the HQ out of Seattle / do something big.

In the short term, at least, the rules are probably the tightest they've ever been, and PP has cool-sounding plans announced for 2019. It feels like a transition moment but it's not clear whether that's sunset or revitalization or what.
At the very last, the infernals faction got me kinda excited. I hope hope hope PP doesn't die!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, bear with me on this one. I really went into left field with the Vault Warden. I had an idea from the very start that I wanted him to be gold. That's allI really knew going into it. The rest just kind of fell into place. At a later date, I will do a custom base full of gold, jewels, weapons, and a treasure chest. But man, that is going to take some time and its going to be awhile. I am super happy with how he turned out. Yet another Abomination that I tied a color scheme into his basic rules. For those that are unaware, when a hero kills the Vault Warden, he gets to draw a Vault Weapon! Very cool and fun creature that really stands out in a crowd.

4HRXXyh.jpg
OryAsCG.jpg

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Yooo, I've finished a project! What a time to be alive.

My Shadespire band, Zarbag's Gitz:

fcPLWOq.jpg

Although technically I haven't painted the smoke on the armoured guy. Not sure how I want to do it, and to be honest it looks quite fine as it is right now, with the zenital highlight.

Last edited:

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
I have my first real AoS game this friday. Pretty excited! Very casual stuff, but I actually have a legal army! taking this more or less,

HQ
-Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger
-Knight-Vexillor (with the meteor standard because fun)
Troops
-5XSequitors
-5XSequitors
-10XLiberators
Other stuff
-3Xprosecutors with duel hammers
-1X Celestar Ballista

1000 pts on the nose!

- EDIT: Also! If anyone has any advice on artifacts/spells and such to take I would love advice! Otherwise I will be just kinda doing it randomly!
My Stormcast list is similar. I gave the Lord arcanum the artefact armour of destiny which made him even harder to kill especially when casting healing light on him from time to time. Keep him close to the sequitors for the command ability too.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I came up with a solution to make coins, so I finished the Vault Warden's base.

dohq7Vc.jpg
rQSfFZ9.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Punching all those coins was murder on the hands but it was worth it!

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Finished another Ork unit last night, just five Nobz to go and then all my Orks are done and i'll need to buy some more
image0.jpg

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Consider me into the hobby! I just spent far too much cash (£150) on all the basics and then some, I still have more stuff on the way but the bulk just arrived and I'm excited to get started.

My shopping list, hopefully I didn't make any big mistakes:

Rustoleum 400ml Surface Primer Grey
Photography Studio Kit Portable
Mantic Games MGDS12 Miniatures Play Set
ANSIO A3 Double Sided Self Healing 5 Layers Cutting Mat
Energizer LED Energy Saving Lightbulb
The Army Painter Miniature and Model Files
Loctite 1623764 Super Glue
Lloytron Style Poise Hobby Desk Lamp
Warpaints Starter Paint Set with FREE Paintbrush - Zombie Miniature Painting Set
Modelcraft Side Cutter
Professional Sable Hair Detail Paint Brush Set - 6 Miniature Art Brushes for Fine Detailing & Art Painting
The Walking Dead No Sanctuary The Board Game w/ Over 50 Figurines
Kings of War Undead Zombie sprue
Paint Station & Mix Palette GW / Citadel
Plus: Army Painter Flesh Wash, Blue Tone Ink, Barbarian Flesh, Greedy Gold, Desert Yellow, Matt White, Gun Metal, Soft Tone Ink

Needless to say I went a little OTT but I think that's everything I could need for the foreseeable future?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Nice start to the hobby.

The only common items I see missing are green stuff for gap filling, basing materials, and a hobby hand drill. You can pick those types of things up as you need them though.

The size and variety of my hobby tools are staggering. I take comfort that it pales in comparison to my wife's hobby room. Her craft room looks like a Hobby Lobby. Much like Hobby Lobby, I can just casually walk around and look at her supplies and get ideas for miniatures.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nice start to the hobby.

The only common items I see missing are green stuff for gap filling, basing materials, and a hobby hand drill. You can pick those types of things up as you need them though.

The size and variety of my hobby tools are staggering. I take comfort that it pales in comparison to my wife's hobby room. Her craft room looks like a Hobby Lobby. Much like Hobby Lobby, I can just casually walk around and look at her supplies and get ideas for miniatures.

I actually do have some grass and sand for basing, just forgot to mention it. I didn't get a drill or green stuff though.

I spent this evening clearing out the junk room so I have some space so I can finally paint tomorrow, hopefully Amazon bring my models early. I do have some very cheap Orks which I primed, they're my models to ruin, The Walking Dead stuff I want to do well, I have no interest in the game but the figures are pretty good and I love the show, I wish it were possible to just buy the minis.

no-sanc-compon_bmbpjs.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
You're in luck because the most important kick start to this hobby is a project you are passionate about.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Welcome to the hobby!
Please post any and all questions, photos and links! Love to see how people are getting on.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Welcome MrH , you sure jumped straight into the big pool! Keep us posted! :)

Question for those familiar with Infinity.

I saw a cool looking thoper-esque (not actual thopter I think, but a lean looking futuristic flyer anyway) flyer on Instagram, but didn't save it and now can't remember what it was called. I *think* it was a 3rd party scenery type deal made for Infinity. Who makes those? Doesn't look like Corvus Belli makes them. It was plastic and looked like 28mm scale.

Edit. Found it!

Locust-2.jpg

Last edited:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome MrH . Good job on getting some practice models before trying to paint some that you care about. My first big project was Zombicide Black Plague, but before I painted any models from there I painted about 5 practice models from the Reaper Bones line of minis. And then when I went into Zombicide, I started with the zombies first. They are very forgiving in that if you mess something up you can just make it dirty or cover it up with blood. I'd recommend you also start with the Walking Dead zombies before going for the main characters, once you are done practicing with your orks! It's a fun and relaxing hobby. Also pretty rewarding, as you can very much see your progress from mini to mini.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My first 24 hours in the hobby went pretty good.

First model - Second model - Third model - Fourth model
The first 3 models are from Mantic Games MGDS12 and honestly I'm not that happy with them, they're very flimsy and just not good quality. After those 3 I decided to break out a better model and it was way more fun to paint, I also tried my hand at highlighting the skin, I think it went OK?
My process going forward will be: Prime > Base > Wash (I just ordered Quickshade to replace my wash) > Highlights > Details > Varnish, is that correct?
I have just put together (so damn fiddly!) and primed 3 more zombies, this time from Kings of War series and they look much nicer. I picked them up on eBay for £3.99 so hopefully that was a good deal.

I have Walking Dead: No Sanctuary coming which I'm really looking forward to as I love the show, and then after that I'll look into Walking Dead: All out War which look nicer overall, but are much more expensive.

Overall I spent about £200 which really snowballed out of control, but I think I have everything now.

I've just learned about the importance of removing mould lines too, it's still a very foreign process to me.

Before:

CXR9mZX.jpg

After:

ABcmwlr.jpg

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I've been putting together all my goblins cause I'm gonna play Thursday.

God I hate removing mold lines. Someone solve this difficult to solve problem for me. Thanks.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
MrH you're off to a really good start!

Twig I've read good things about the Citadel mold line remover tool. Like it actually does what it says very well. No first hand experience though. I just use my hobby knife.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I tried my hand at highlighting/layering today for the first time, what do you guys think?

n3XAr3r.jpg

B315AZY.jpg

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
They look grand, particularly the face of the head holding zombie. It is very easy to drown out the more subtle features of a minis face so it's great you can make out all the details like the stretched muscles in the cheeks, teeth and lifeless eyes.