• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're doing great with the highlights on the cloth, MrH. It took me a while to get used to being bold with the contrast.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Used Quickshade for the first time (the wood stain stuff) and it's a bloody messy hassle, unless it looks massively better I'll stick with washes. I really hate how you can't touch it for 24 hours either.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
How do people store their minis? Not for display, just to... take up as little space as possible. I need to organize this mass I've acquired.

EDIT: And to be clear, I'm not talking about transportation. While it might be a nice bonus, I'm not too concerned about that.

Last edited:

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Bought a cheap airbrush and compressor combo off Amazon ('cheap as in £80'). Always been curious but thought ill give it ago.

I was a bit worried a first that I had wasted £80 - the regulator when screwed onto the compressor, screws in upside down. Found out you had to put tape over the screw to pad it out so the regulator faces up when tight.

So far I've only had a go at zenithal priming and doing a very basic base coat. Very surprised at how quick and easy doing these basic steps where. Saves so much time.

After I get better practice with tight control I'm going to have a go at creating highlights with it.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
How do people store their minis? Not for display, just to... take up as little space as possible. I need to organize this mass I've acquired.

EDIT: And to be clear, I'm not talking about transportation. While it might be a nice bonus, I'm not too concerned about that.
I bought a bunch of trays with lids that are used to store screws and nails. They're about 5cm deep with loads of compartments. Works pretty well for models that aren't too large.
I got them in a hardware shop pretty cheap

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017

I've got a fair few of the Wilko organisers which are a nice size for Space Marine sized minis, stack nicely too and are clear so you can tell what in them.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-20-compartment-organiser-clear-large/p/0343099
They work well, but I'm sure any screw or nail organisers should do the job. I also generally keep any start collecting box or the like to store any bigger infantry models. tanks are still a mystery on how to store them best although I do have a set of plastic desk draws on my work desk which holds some of the bigger models well.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a bunch of trays with lids that are used to store screws and nails. They're about 5cm deep with loads of compartments. Works pretty well for models that aren't too large.
I got them in a hardware shop pretty cheap
I've got a fair few of the Wilko organisers which are a nice size for Space Marine sized minis, stack nicely too and are clear so you can tell what in them.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-20-compartment-organiser-clear-large/p/0343099
They work well, but I'm sure any screw or nail organisers should do the job. I also generally keep any start collecting box or the like to store any bigger infantry models. tanks are still a mystery on how to store them best although I do have a set of plastic desk draws on my work desk which holds some of the bigger models well.
Cool! Just the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Finished my 3rd and final zombie from Mantic, went for a chilly zombie this time.

7cpIxw3.jpg

I've decided I want to paint some Khorne, I ordered some Berserkers and a Bloodstoker.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have over 80 heroes painted for fantasy Zombicide. I have decided I need to take a break from those and actually finish the zombies. Therefore, I will b clearing my paint desk later this afternoon and removing all distractions other than the 55 human zombies I need to complete and the handful of paint colors it will take to do so. I think if I line them up and complete them sculpt by sculpt it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, I scored the Knight and Huntsman Kicksterters for Zombicide for cheap, bringing my total hero count to 142. With the incoming influx of new stuff, I figured I should really concentrate on knocking out a major subproject in order to show some major progress.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
SillyEskimo one day you will post that mega picture of EVERY ZOMBICIDE MINIATURE IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE painted and it will be glorious.

By the time I am finished I think I will be in a very exclusive club. It is pretty rare for anyone to have completely painted a Zombicide game and all of it's expansions + additional content. The club gets even more exclusive when you paint two of them. Well, I have the Zombicide Invader full pledge arriving in a couple of months too so eventually I'll have 3! All in all, the total is around 1,500+ miniatures in 3 base games, 3 stand alone expansion, 8 big box expansions, and LOADS of additional content, crossovers, and guest boxes. Plus there is the Massive Darkness and Project: ELITE crossovers...

I am seriously considering painting Invader with an airbrush. The aliens do not have clothing so they will be about 10x easier to paint. But I want them to look different than my usual stuff too and I think an airbrush will accomplish that.

I sure am looking forward to the eventual Zombicide: Night of the Living Dead Kickstarter as well!

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I got cold feet and sold my Zombicide Invader kickstarter onto somebody else.
I quite like Zombicide, but having 2 already and not enough time for the games I've got, I just couldn't add a third.

I'm quite excited for Reichbusters, Deep Madness & Tainted Grail though. Plus I REALLY need to get around to painting Blackstone Fortress once I'm a bit ahead with my Orks

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My paint list:

I have 2 Necromunda gangs + terrain I would really like to get to sometime
The rest of Zombicide BP/GH + Massive Darkness

Upcoming: Zombicide: Invader, Reichbusters, War of the Worlds, Project: ELITE

I can paint all of War of the Worlds in a single sitting though. I think it only has 12 minis or so.

My wife sold her Invader KS for $600!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My first experience with Wizkid miniatures was a good one, great for the price.

I spent a few hours building my Khorne Reavers tonight, not done yet but I'll be painting my first Warhammer piece soon!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Booooo! Got my Bloodstoker from eBay and his leg is broken. Ordered a replacement but now I gotta sod about getting a refund from the seller.

AL59NJo.jpg

On more positive news I finished building my first Warhammer models, the Khorne Bloodreavers! Overall great looking models, but some of the sculpts had issues, 3 of them require filling so I had to order some liquid Green Stuff. And one of them had an awful issue with the chest which I sanded down and think it looks fine now?

62O4QmB.jpg

N2PwouC.jpg

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you're going to paint it anyway you could just glue that leg back and the paint will probably hide the seam. At worst, use a little green stuff, but I doubt that'd be necessary.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Honestly if you're going to paint it anyway you could just glue that leg back and the paint will probably hide the seam. At worst, use a little green stuff, but I doubt that'd be necessary.

Honestly I could, but when you're paying £10 for a model you want it to be perfect, at least I do. Plus I found a replacement for £5 so in the end I saved a fiver, only issue is I now have to wait a couple of days for the new one to arrive. The seller can claim his money back from Royal Mail as well as he did pack it well, so they must have been overly rough with it.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, lot's of really good looking minis in here! MrH for just starting your mini's look really good! Ohnonono the Librarian looks amazing! You definitely have a distinct style and it's awesome. Jinaar that's probably the best Noise Marine I've seen so far. Love the color choices (but I'm a sucker for purples). Been a bit since I posted so I've got several models to show, sorry for a model wall but I just started using my airbrush for more than just priming and I want to show stuff off!

O21CJpUl.jpg

XXcXJDbl.jpg

So this guy's flesh was painted solely with my airbrush. I think it came out pretty nicely, but probably could have used one darker shade to start off with.

S15kdLLl.jpg

WySIUpzl.jpg

In contrast I painted this guy completely just with a regular brush. I the shadow tones look better on him.

jROpODRl.jpg

This guy was fun because I got to mess around with different metal paints and also ways to dirty them up. I've painted all of these ogres before, but they were painted for a friend. I liked the models so much I bought them for myself and painted em again!

QRhtXV8l.jpg

8GYuvtdl.jpg

I'm really proud of the dragon. I did an experiment with his wings and it came out just like I wanted. Just used light washes over his already silver wings and it made this cool prismatic effect. He was really simple to paint, too.

8ZO9yfMl.jpg

I still need to do the base on this guy and a couple touch ups but he's mostly done. He was fun and challenging (for me) to paint. I'm not great with freehand or eyes in general, and this guy had a bunch of little eyes that needed to be painted on.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys! The ogres are from Reaper. The other two models are from Wizkids. All for Dungeons and Dragons.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Great work there, Boat Times! I love the passion you all display here!

Thanks for the complements as well, folks. I need to better use my free time to paint more often then not. Fuken video games taking value paint time away :)

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Up until now I've had to paint at my PC desk and then clean up after and it was getting to be annoying, so I've been clearing out the spare room which is nearly ready, soon I'll have a dedicated hobby space. The extra space will allow me to buy another lamp as I really feel only having one is hurting me.

I've had time to sit down and begin painting a number of built models. Just finished the Necron Kill Team (Exalted Scythe) and the first piece of scenery from the Kill Team starter set. I'm pretty happy with how things came out. Took some time to figure out techniques for dealing with the energy cables and glowing insets on the Immortal and Deathmark weapons.

I really like the Novokh Dynasty color scheme and while it's more work, am tempted to go with it for a large Necron force.

Next on to painting the Skitarii and Genestealer Neophytes from the KT starter box.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've finally finished cleaning out the junk room and I now have a dedicated hobby space for the first time! No more painting at my PC desk and having to sod around putting it all up, then taking it all down every session.

Before:

After:

Workstation:

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Big improvement. Congratulations on carving out a nice spot for yourself!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm super happy with how it turned out. My first project at the new space was to clean and prime these big boys, my nicest minis.

I think I'm going to switch to white primer when this can runs out, grey is fine and all but it can be hard to see missed spots. I found some old Citadel white primer but it came back cloudy on the sprue test so I just ordered a new can. I've found Rustoleum to be very good, and they're about £5 cheaper than Citadel.

I'm super happy with how it turned out. My first project at the new space was to clean and prime these big boys, my nicest minis.

I think I'm going to switch to white primer when this can runs out, grey is fine and all but it can be hard to see missed spots. I found some old Citadel white primer but it came back cloudy on the sprue test so I just ordered a new can. I've found Rustoleum to be very good, and they're about £5 cheaper than Citadel.

I've always really liked the Slaughterpriest model.

I also use Rustoleum as a primer and think it is some of the best. It becomes very tough and adhesive after it cures for 72 hours. A helpful thing I discovered is a brand of primer by Badger called Stynylrez (wtf), which is branded as "Ultimate Primer" in the UK, like this: https://www.emodels.co.uk/ultimate-60ml-grey-primer-badger-stynylrez-030.html

I find Stynylrez (wtf) is really great as a touch-up primer to hit spots the spray missed. It is extraordinarily thin and can be jammed into recesses with a brush without clogging things up or making clumps. Its liquid carrier seems to evaporate like alcohol almost instantly.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Finished my Gnasher Scremer (the middle guy). Can't base him until Tuesday when I get my stuff, though.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I've always really liked the Slaughterpriest model.

I also use Rustoleum as a primer and think it is some of the best. It becomes very tough and adhesive after it cures for 72 hours. A helpful thing I discovered is a brand of primer by Badger called Stynylrez (wtf), which is branded as "Ultimate Primer" in the UK, like this: https://www.emodels.co.uk/ultimate-60ml-grey-primer-badger-stynylrez-030.html

I find Stynylrez (wtf) is really great as a touch-up primer to hit spots the spray missed. It is extraordinarily thin and can be jammed into recesses with a brush without clogging things up or making clumps. Its liquid carrier seems to evaporate like alcohol almost instantly.

I've had issues with Rustoleum grey when I tried it. Came out far to thick and I lost detail. There white worked very well for me.

I've had issues with Rustoleum grey when I tried it. Came out far to thick and I lost detail. There white worked very well for me.

The specific grey I use is "Painter's Touch 2x Flat Primer" in grey - don't know if you used one of their other grey primer mixtures.

I guess as with all rattle cans, I just try to sweep it very quickly back and forth and don't start spraying aimed at the model.

I've never had any trouble with their white though, which I have used a lot as well.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Make sure you've shook the absolute crap out of a rattle can before you spray.
As in, literally shake it for about 2-3 minutes.
Also let it soak in warm (but not near boiling!) water first too.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I used to have trouble with all spray cans until I started filling a glass with hot water (from the sink) and letting it soak in there for about five minutes, then pull it out and shake for two minutes. Three if you wanna be safe.

At that point it's on you to not spray Too Much.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Took my first trip to Games Workshop, didn't go too wild. The textured paint is incredible for basing.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Took my first trip to Games Workshop, didn't go too wild. The textured paint is incredible for basing.

Nice! Give us a review of the mold line removal tool if you could?

When I started painting minis a few years ago, I think it took like a week before I had ditched my board game minis I was supposed to practice with and bought my first Space Marines lol.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
StaffyManasse I like it but you can't do everything with it. I cleaned those guys up yesterday and had to use my file to get rid of extra bits of flash for example, but purely for mould lines it's great. I prefer it to a blade at least. I was actually really impressed with the paint pot, it has those grooves you can see to shape your brush but it also has ridges on the bottom and side, the bottoms ones for helping you get the paint off which work great and the side ones to get any excess water off your brush before you shape it, for a fiver I'd definitely recommend it. The best thing I bought came in the post though, the Citadel Handle, it's such a massive QoL upgrade over Blu Tac on a cork.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I got one of those mold line removal tools after I asked about it earlier in the thread, and it's sooo much nicer than a hobby knife. Still go back to the heavier duty tools for, as MrH says, extra flash and stuff, but I'll never go back to a knife unless I absolutely have to.

OP
OP
MyQuarters

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been slowly working at a squad of Boyz over the past couple of weeks. It's hard to find time to paint with life going on! Especially as I'm on a new medication that is making me sleepy basically all the time lol.

Will get some photos of the 8 I've managed so far this evening

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
How do people take pictures? I got me a small photo booth thing and having the white background obviously helps a lot, but i don't really have a good stand for putting the minis on, I just use leftover packing foam from all my Warmahordes shit haha. But mostly my camera can't zoom in enough and stay focused to fill the whole frame. I'm half tempted to get a macro lens, but that's of course ridiculous! Then again I've always wanted one, anyway. I like photography. >_>

Most people probably don't care as much as me about this, though. :P