• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 22, 2017
Florida
Hello! It's been a while since I posted. Lots of great looking minis in here, hard not to be inspired to do better in your own painting after seeing these.

One of my latest projects: JSA Shikami from Infinity
HIeCUmB.jpg

Caz4NWj.jpg

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Great colors and great base. The jacket colors make a great pairing with the red. I picked up and assembled the new JSA army box but I don't know if I'm ever going to run it. Great minis though.

Dec 22, 2017
Florida
Thanks! I actually picked him up to use as an NPC for my tabletop campaign however after painting him I am considering getting some more JSA stuff so I can paint a whole faction using this scheme. I really dig their cyber ninja/samurai looking stuff

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Started painting Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth yesterday. I'm pretty bad at posting pictures to the thread, but there's not a lot of sculpts in this base set, so I'll see if I can keep it up.

BN0vgDv.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I am unsnapped by Thanos! Here's a Black Plague necromancer painted where I completely ignored her fairytale card art and painted her as a badass vampire instead.

b6lFhQE.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Working on my first non-40k model in forever, a Moebius Battlestar Galactica. Since it was quite pricey to track down the kit I figured I'd go the extra mile with it and also teach myself how to use LEDs to light it all up. It's my first time wiring and soldering anything since I was in school, but it all seems to be going well so far. I'm not used to kits taking so long to assemble though!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent colour choice as always Eskimo

Thanks!

I finished off a couple more today.

Shop Mart. Shop S-Mart.

I painted Troy & Evil Troy from the Black Plague Kickstarter at the same time. I definitely had flashbacks to painting the survivors and their zombivor counterparts simultaneously from modern Zombicide. Their skills loosely follow the movie Army of Darkness that inspired them. As a bonus, Evil Troy is also a necromancer who requires a STR 3 weapon or dragonfire to permanently kill. If you kill him with something else, he just reappears in his spawn zome all over again, which is a fun mechanic.

sd0xuZI.jpg

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I've just finished the trophies for my club's Blood Bowl league. The big thing for the Playoff champion, and the Goblins for the best scorer/killer of each group. The black dice are for everybody classified, those who didn't have the same on marble blue and white.

pt4d68h.jpg

Last edited:

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Thanks! Took a while to finish, but I put in so much time today to finally get it done. Going to try to keep this energy alive and just prepped another one. Going to just power thru this new one.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Wow, the work here is amazing.

My co-workers and I have recently purchased starter boxes for Warmachine. I kind of wanted to get into 40K, but my co-worker fell in love with one of the factions on Horde side.
I can't wait to get my hands on them and attempt to paint them.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
After years painting on a crappy desktop where I couldn't even have space to fit my legs, I've finally have a decent painting area.

LMCfw9r.jpg

I still need to organize it a bit (have a couple extra paint racks on the way, and I'll probably get some kind of organizer/shelves to put up there), but yeah, world's apart with what I had before. I mean, that cutting mat used to occupy like 60% of the area I had available for *everything*. Time to grab a bigger one :P

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaand I've finished my Halfling goat starplayer for Blood Bowl, a simple converson from this model.

YmWCVGp.jpg

o3WZyzT.jpg

After taking the picture, I realized the superglue fucked a bit the saddle in one side. Already fixed on the figure, and I've also completed the sides of the base on black.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a trick to gluing these dang on mini's? I am having a hard time once in a while, seems like little nubs don't want to stick. I am having to use my hand drill and cut a paper clip. Example, Torso
Hold them forever.

Drilling in supports like that is actually really good for particularly precarious contact points. It's called pinning! Obviously, be careful not to drill too far, or in the wrong direction. D:

You can buy some clamps or something to hold shit in place, too.

Unfortunately, that's just how it is for non-plastic models. With stuff from, say, Warhammer, you get the luxury of plastic glue, which is SO much faster and less brittle. Though if you do it wrong, the pieces can be loose and flimsy, my fuckin' Necron shit keeps falling apart as I play with it. Granted, I put 'em together in a hurry, and haven't bothered to go back and fix, so, you know.

Anyway, yeah, you're doing it right.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Hey, do you have an example of clamps? Thanks for the advice and glad to see it isn't me being bad. I am using Tamiya cement as I was told I would hemp me from spilling over my desk!

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

Posting these over here as well. Games Workshop's new Contrast paints line made for faster and more models painting in the shortest time. People who tested them at Warhammer Fest started posting reviews.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty interested in those new Contrast paints. I already do quite a lot of my painting using inks, glazes and washes over a zenithal prime. At first I thought these were just straight up inks, but it seems like they are different. I noticed there is a white one, very interested in seeing how that works out.

I did this guy's skin in a Green Black ink, for instance:

gQbJNOs.jpg

C9Y2Ryf.jpg

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, it's the white I'm most interested in. Maybe that'll allow me to have some decent White Scars, lol.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, do you have an example of clamps? Thanks for the advice and glad to see it isn't me being bad. I am using Tamiya cement as I was told I would hemp me from spilling over my desk!
Tamiya cement? Like, plastic cement?

I... didn't think that stuff worked with Warmachine/Hordes models. Not the right kind of plastic, I thought.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
That might explain why they fell apart... It was the guy recommended me at the place I went too...
..lol

I'm sorry. I think that guy didn't know better. Probably assumed all models are like Warhammer's. (Oh, if only.) For future reference, plastic cement/glue bonds SUPER fast. It basically melts the plastic so it actually fuses together. But it doesn't work if the model isn't made of the right stuff.

This is different from super glue which is an extra material. A layer between surfaces. More brittle. (Though rarely a problem.) Super glue dries much slower.

You don't need any kind of special super glue. I use gorilla glue. Both thick and thin types, depending on what shape of surface I'm bonding. It's not too important, though.

But yeah. Oops. :P

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Well, I found a bottle of Gorrila glue and it worked this time around. But my model's suffered. :(

Edit: Man, I did such a shit job of assembling these models. It is going to effect my painting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be using those new contrast paints on Zombicide Invader for a good test run. They're getting great reviews.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I found a bottle of Gorrila glue and it worked this time around. But my model's suffered. :(

Edit: Man, I did such a shit job of assembling these models. It is going to effect my painting.
I highly recommend using this: Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue 4-Gram (1363589) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y49R7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Grj3CbF6GHN2D

I used to use gorilla glue myself and i had similar problems. Loctite is like magic. Just a tiny amount makes a super strong connection and it's easy to control because of the bottles design. I had a servo skull snap of a Tech-Preist like 3 times and you can't even tell I glued it back together.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I've used both Gorilla Glue and Loctite extensively and have yet to notice a perceivable difference. :P

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I highly recommend using this: Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue 4-Gram (1363589) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y49R7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Grj3CbF6GHN2D

I used to use gorilla glue myself and i had similar problems. Loctite is like magic. Just a tiny amount makes a super strong connection and it's easy to control because of the bottles design. I had a servo skull snap of a Tech-Preist like 3 times and you can't even tell I glued it back together.
I will keep that on my wish list to try next time.
I am currently using this one. Gorilla Super Glue 15g

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't post about it here, but man I was annoyed that GW had such INSANELY low supplies of Looncurse. There was 3 pre-orders of it at my local store, and they only got 1 copy in. I was going to buy it to actually get into Age of Sigmar since I already have quite a bit of models for it (used just for D&D and Shadespire). But couldn't find it anywhere, very annoying.

But also, here's some minis (well, sort of mini. A lot of em were pretty big) that I've been painting:

7Q3CWajl.jpg

snpB4Ccl.jpg

Really happy with how this dragon's wings came out. Really moody, I think.

Pwh42afl.jpg

This guy was a random Bones miniature I had laying around, so I used him to practice a skin tone that I was trying to get down. I think he came out pretty cool anyhow.

uV83nyel.jpg

Kpf8zSTl.jpg

This is the skin tone I was practicing on the random bones miniature. Really happy with how this Fomorian came out. There's some little touch ups I could do, but I've spent alot of time on this guy already so I think I'm just gonna call him done and move onto the next mini.

hT7U8Uxl.jpg

A T.Rex min I've had for a while now! Think he came out pretty cool. I was experimenting with washes on the base and liked how it came out looking so volcanic.

Also I got a new phone with a much nicer camera, so I think that's helping with my mini photo skills haha.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Didn't post about it here, but man I was annoyed that GW had such INSANELY low supplies of Looncurse. There was 3 pre-orders of it at my local store, and they only got 1 copy in. I was going to buy it to actually get into Age of Sigmar since I already have quite a bit of models for it (used just for D&D and Shadespire). But couldn't find it anywhere, very annoying.

But also, here's some minis (well, sort of mini. A lot of em were pretty big) that I've been painting:

7Q3CWajl.jpg

snpB4Ccl.jpg

Really happy with how this dragon's wings came out. Really moody, I think.

Pwh42afl.jpg

This guy was a random Bones miniature I had laying around, so I used him to practice a skin tone that I was trying to get down. I think he came out pretty cool anyhow.

uV83nyel.jpg

Kpf8zSTl.jpg

This is the skin tone I was practicing on the random bones miniature. Really happy with how this Fomorian came out. There's some little touch ups I could do, but I've spent alot of time on this guy already so I think I'm just gonna call him done and move onto the next mini.

hT7U8Uxl.jpg

A T.Rex min I've had for a while now! Think he came out pretty cool. I was experimenting with washes on the base and liked how it came out looking so volcanic.

Also I got a new phone with a much nicer camera, so I think that's helping with my mini photo skills haha.
Thanks for sharing the pics, lovely stuff!

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
That's some really smooth painting Boat. I especially like the giant and the dinosaur.

I'm currently on a new path in mini wargaming.

22fdYzy.jpg

28mm modern skirmish. Scenario based. That stack of pennies will be used for bases for my Delta operators and hostages. Since I don't have anything else I'm going to just demo this game with a friend and call it a Delta training scenario. I'll try and post impressions from the game later, this is the latest rulebook but I'm already fairly familiar with the overall system from the original rules I had downloaded for free from a now dead link on their website.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
9obGgF7.jpg

Double post but it's been a few days.

Tonight I put down the first few colors on my Delta operators and the hostage objectives. Sometime in the next few days I'll start on the shirts followed by weapons and then skin. I still need to figure out what color the vests and harnesses will be.

I still have more on the way. I grabbed the last Tier 1 operators that were in stock (an LMG, breacher, and grenade launcher), a few Deniable Operators and Agents, and an info broker type dude with bodyguards.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's interested in picking up a random Warmachine/Hordes faction starter pile, Privateer Press is moving HQ, so clearing out a bunch of inventory.

https://store.privateerpress.com/spring-cleaning-mystery-box

It... seems like a pretty good deal.

Definitely probably almost certainly gonna be a lot of old-ass metal models, I'm sure. But still, 70 bucks for 200 in minis (plus some random other merch) ain't a bad deal if you're really into the game. I am! Ha. We'll see how it goes. Sale ends May 31.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish my hobby budget wasn't blown for the next two months cus that's the sort of deal I'd jump on. Then again, I'd only want Hordes and it seems as if I wouldn't be able to pick between getting random Hordes or random Warmachine minis so probably for the best. (I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up breaking my budget to at least try out some of those new Contrast paints from GW, though).

Those Delta operators models look cool Grisel, but the hostage minis legit make me feel weird in a bad way. Especially the kneeling one.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
That Privateer Press deal sounds great but I'm mostly interested in Warmachine, and there's no guarantee about what I'd get. I'll have to think about it some more.

I get what you mean Boat. It invokes some pretty harrowing real world imagery but I'm hoping to avoid that when it comes to how we set up the scenarios. Fortunately they offer other minis that you can use as high value targets and most scenarios won't involve them at all. I don't intend on borrowing from current events when it comes to our games.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
That blind bundle is weirdly tempting. I don't play Warmachine but their is a super healthy community in my local game club and always been interested in it.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
What a weird time for both places to have a blowout sale. This has me worried as someone who just got into Warmachine. Also, I wish I knew what models I wanted or needed. Is a new edition practically on the way? Should I keep buying into them?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
OK, a second sale now. Hmmm. I've resisted getting into Warmachine for so long and this makes it tough.

Isn't there some cross play between Warmachine and Hordes?