• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
OK, a second sale now. Hmmm. I've resisted getting into Warmachine for so long and this makes it tough.

Isn't there some cross play between Warmachine and Hordes?
They're the same game, the separation is just a difference in specific mechanics, split down the middle.

Then you get also limited factions (grymkin, convergence, upcoming INFERNALS which I'm excited for) which have more unique mechanics. All centered around the central warcaster/warlord/whatever, how you handle casting spells and managing your big battle group models.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Here are some various Zombicide survivors and necromancers. It has been a pretty slow couple of weeks for my mini painting thanks to yard work and the domino effect of getting a new bed. (had to break down and sell kid's bed, break down our old queen and move it upstairs for the kid, set up new king, + lots of cleaning in between) I'm really working hard to ensure the necros all look different from one another as well as the plethora of mobs on the board. It is making me thing outside the box on color schemes!

bMOsELo.jpg
rf1FoGZ.jpg
nDukLxu.jpg
Z1NJIwA.jpg
F92aUKB.jpg
YmA8sGK.jpg

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those reds are super eye catching. Also, how'd you end up with two of the regular necromancer?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, those reds are super eye catching. Also, how'd you end up with two of the regular necromancer?

One with the box and another came with the KS. I have 2 orc necros for the same reason. I tried to make them look drastically different from one another. The brown one was made to blend in a bit more with my human zombies and he took 5x longer to paint, lol. The black one was super easy to do and I think I like it more!

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
If I am able to see some brush strokes, what am I doing wrong? I am working towards a cool white and this is I think my 4th layer. Example pic

White can be tricky. The first thing I'd suggest is of course to thin your paints more. If you're using a just pure white paint try something more of an off white. It's often a lot easier to work with and will still read as white. It'll give you somewhere to go when you apply any highlights or layering.

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly almost never bother with pure white, but yeah, if you're still seeing brush strokes, you mostly gotta just thin more and more.

Off white is definitely easier to work with as Nazo said. Personally, I like a slight blueish tint cause I think blue shadows on white looks pretty nice. But I've never... done it. Just seen it. So, you know. D:

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Ok, I'll apply more water. I thought it was thinned enough. I started with black, then grey, then grey and mix of blue.
What is the best ratio for water? I did 2 drops wolf gray, 1 drop azure blue, 1 drop of water. 2:1:1. Should I do 2:1:3?

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
It is a wild mix of resin and metal. The older you go, or the smaller you go, the more likely it's all metal.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying out a new speed painting strat with these Tau Pathfinders I bought.
I based em like normal (put white glue on the base and dunked them into basing material, wiped excess off with a tissue)
Decided I wanted them to look like stormtroopers so I primed them white
Waited for that to dry, went over the base with a brownish dirt wash.
Did a black coat for the parts I wanted to be black
Did some red details
Took some ripped foam, dipped it in a brassy brown paint and lightly scraped the minis to give that dirty / chipped battle scarred look
Threw in this wash my friend mixed that's got like browns, blues and blacks in it he calls it "armor wash" I will have to ask him for the recipe because this shit is magic
Used some snow texture paint on the base

And bam
8n0UUiR.jpg

Probably gonna go back over them and paint in extra details, on the guns and stuff but considering all 10 dudes took me like 1hr I am very pleased with the results.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Trying out a new speed painting strat with these Tau Pathfinders I bought.
I based em like normal (put white glue on the base and dunked them into basing material, wiped excess off with a tissue)
Decided I wanted them to look like stormtroopers so I primed them white
Waited for that to dry, went over the base with a brownish dirt wash.
Did a black coat for the parts I wanted to be black
Did some red details
Took some ripped foam, dipped it in a brassy brown paint and lightly scraped the minis to give that dirty / chipped battle scarred look
Threw in this wash my friend mixed that's got like browns, blues and blacks in it he calls it "armor wash" I will have to ask him for the recipe because this shit is magic
Used some snow texture paint on the base

And bam
8n0UUiR.jpg

Probably gonna go back over them and paint in extra details, on the guns and stuff but considering all 10 dudes took me like 1hr I am very pleased with the results.
I love the use of torn foam/sponge for dirt effects, and the special wash recipe. Your models look great!

When I painted a death guard army I also had a special recipe. I would undercoat them white, then basecoat armour with Rotting Flesh (a Citadel beige-with-a-touch-of-green colour, unsure if they still make it). Then I painted the armour trim with whatever bronze/copper I had lying around, and pick out details like eyes, scopes etc. Final touch was a mix of my special recipe. Two pots of yellow ink, a pot of green ink, and two pots of brown, all dumped into a jam jar and kept sealed for consistency across the force. I applied this liberally to the entire model. My flatmate at the time referred to it as 'applying the blessing of Nurgle' and he wasn't wrong :D

Oct 25, 2017
My flatmate at the time referred to it as 'applying the blessing of Nurgle' and he wasn't wrong :D
Thanks! The foam was a hot tip from my friend I was very pleased with the results. And lol "applying the blessing of Nurgle" that's amazing. Mixing custom stuff is definitely satisfying. It's got a very personalized feeling on something that's already pretty personalized. A good wash is seriously a force to be reckoned with, you can just barely tell the white is just bare primer on my dudes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks! The foam was a hot tip from my friend I was very pleased with the results. And lol "applying the blessing of Nurgle" that's amazing. Mixing custom stuff is definitely satisfying. It's got a very personalized feeling on something that's already pretty personalized. A good wash is seriously a force to be reckoned with, you can just barely tell the white is just bare primer on my dudes.
I'm just getting back into miniature painting after years away from the hobby, so am storing tips like yours for future reference. It's a strange kind of nostalgia, I've built so many armies as a kid and a young adult, and am now returning to it aged 40, as I find it incredibly relaxing and rewarding. The models are so detailed now, I remember when Eldar had lasguns, Imperial Guard had beastmen and death guard were four metal models :D

Oct 25, 2017
The models are so detailed now, I remember when Eldar had lasguns, Imperial Guard had beastmen and death guard were four metal models :D
Lol I recently got an old like 1993 era metal Druhkari Hekatrix and she looks so different from everything else now. You're right the models are super high detail now. My wyches were such a pain in the ass to build. Small tiny bits that felt like they could snap off, and everything was so spiky and annoying to grab lol.

But yeah Minis painting is super relaxing, building them can be pretty chill too but it's a very different kind of chill. As long as you're not rushing lol it's all good.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Any advice on storing spindly/fragile plastic miniatures in cases? My old metal ones were incredibly vulnerable to the cases themselves breaking and then the impact of their mass on concrete shattering any bonds, but I look at the foam for storing models today and it seems harder than some of GW's kits! They seem designed more for display cases than transport (some more than others- Marines and most infantry are fairly compact but the more esoteric stuff I'm thinking of).

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, those Tau look amazing! I'll be giving your technique a try on this kill team I'm putting together!

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Any advice on storing spindly/fragile plastic miniatures in cases? My old metal ones were incredibly vulnerable to the cases themselves breaking and then the impact of their mass on concrete shattering any bonds, but I look at the foam for storing models today and it seems harder than some of GW's kits! They seem designed more for display cases than transport (some more than others- Marines and most infantry are fairly compact but the more esoteric stuff I'm thinking of).
I store all my board game minis in Plano boxes. I haven't had any get damaged, but I don't really bang them around that much.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
After several weeks not touching a brush (since certain painting seminar* I attended the day after I finished the Halfling goat), I've found some time and decided to paint something simple: a squig for my Blood Bowl goblin team. I left the base (some sand and grass) for tomorrow.

CzcQqLC.jpg

*Which was mindblowing, I must say, to the level of thinking "allright, is there something I was doing correctly?". It's an experience I really recommend if you are really interested on painting, even if it's just for all the "wait, what?" head scratching moments.

Ironically, I didn't use almost anything I learned there on the squig XD, but I didn't want him to look on a different style to the rest of the team.

Oct 25, 2017
So I used to do a bunch of gundam models a long while ago and had forgotten I had a set of gundam markers with metallic sheen tucked away.

I wonder how well these would work for detailing 40k minis.
Stuff like the barrels of guns and other finer details.

They're unique because they're more like fine nibbed brushes with a paint well built in. If I remember right they bond pretty well to plastic but can be removed with rubbing alcohol quickly.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I need help. I want to get my niece something to paint. However, I don't know where to start. She is about 10 and I know she loves to read, draw, color. This is the second time I have met my niece as my brother is not being a good dad. My mother has finally gained a relationship with her mother and I want to get her something. I know her favorite book is the Harry Potter series.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I need help. I want to get my niece something to paint. However, I don't know where to start. She is about 10 and I know she loves to read, draw, color. This is the second time I have met my niece as my brother is not being a good dad. My mother has finally gained a relationship with her mother and I want to get her something. I know her favorite book is the Harry Potter series.

Are you looking for miniatures for her to paint? I'd say stop by your local hobby shop, pick up a couple of Wizkids pre primed miniatures and ask them about paints. There is a line of Harry Potter miniatures out right now, but uh maybe start off with something easy and small like the Wizkids minis. If she doesn't want to paint fantasy creatures like Orcs and Elves, they have models of things like bears and stags.

I was able to try out some of the contrast paints at my local GW store. Here are the results:

HTwrrwpl.jpg

qaHDR0Bl.jpg

zaQPNidl.jpg

7V9mhoTl.jpg

I painted both of them in about 25 mins total. They are a little messy, but I wasn't using my own brushes and there wasn't a palette available either. I think they came out really cool looking, however! I picked up four bottles yesterday, and had so much fun painting with them I went and got 4 more today haha. I will say I noticed almost NO difference between the three different flesh colors. The plaguebearer is actually painted with all three, but the only part of him that looks different is the weird tentacle arm, and that's because I went over it with the plaguebearer flesh contrast after using one of the other flesh paints.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Contrast Paints are going to be a game changer for a select group of people in the miniature scene and I think it's a great thing! It's not perfect but boy do I think it does what it has set out to do admirably. Great work there!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I already do quite a bit of painting with inks and washes and home made glazes. These seem to fit in pretty well with my painting style. They basically seem to be super pigmented washes, or glazes after using the contrast medium. Pretty cool stuff! I'll post more minis that I've painted with my own brushes and in the comfort of my home soon, haha.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Now for my work, which is me killing myself all day recreating my miniature painting setup. I built some shelves, the peg board and cleaned everything up nicely. I am exhausted from wood working this last month so now to start hitting the mini's hard.

tTzFbJs.jpg

qIWya8p.jpg

zfw9Cs6.jpg

O1PhKHP.jpg

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I'm super jealous of your work space Jinaar. All I have is shitty little laptop tray I put on my bed to paint. It becomes such a chore to get all of my supplies all laid out in front of me that I loose all motivation to paint most of the time. :(

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I have only been painting for 6 years or so. My work bench has gone from small and ghetto to messy and gross to somewhat managable.

For a few years I knew what I wanted to get too and all that took was getting into woodworking. Sheesh eh. With that was able to build what was required.

We all start at the same location. I hope to be painting till I die, making all this worth it for the long run.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Privateer Press has announced ANOTHER new game.

It takes place 5000 years in the future of the current Warmahordes setting. Intended to be smaller armies, I read 50 models max somewhere, 30 on the low end. No magic, just science.

Warmachine: Neo-Mechanika I think it's called.

Guess they needed their own version of 40k lmao

Nothing beyond this announced or revealed afaik

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Oops, point of correction. 20-30 models, not 30-50.

And yeah Oblivion sounds neat. I got into a narrative campaign earlier this year in 40k and it's by far the most fun I've ever had playing that game. Hopefully the same will hold true for Warmachine.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Fewer than Warhammer in general. And you can get away with much smaller points and stop have a lot of variety where you couldn't with Warhammer (imo, anyway). My friends and I usually play 35-50pts (75 is tournament size), and i think I usually field around... Twenty models max? But I'm also mostly playing Trollbloods and like to play with big models (often to my disadvantage), so that does affect things.

When i play 40k or aos I have way more than that.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Finished more Zombicide! Here is a little bit of everything. Ratz, Wolvz, a Necromancer, & a hero. I'll be adding blood/drool to the Wolvz once they are all completed. I still have 10 more to go! I have 14 Ratz to finish those off as well. I'm taking a break to do the Rat King Necromancer who is sitting on my bench 1/2 way done.

5ugr6D4.jpg
pWhhoqw.jpg
vtjY8ir.jpg
LAOzn4A.jpg
wf0Xyes.jpg
Hr6HFoL.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Damn man, every single one of those looks striking! Awesome work!

Thanks! I am always weighing time vs results on big projects like this and I am happy when others like my stuff.

The ratz have a real "presence" on the board when they are all painted up. Above is one sculpt x 7 completed. When I am done with the other 2 sculpts there will be 21 total. It will just look like a mob of little tails and heads!

The black version of the human necro sculpt ended up as the perfect match to the wolvz. I was really happy how they look together. The wolvz are going to look extra awesome once I add the drool and blood. The wolfbominations in particular are stand outs. The paint brought out so much character in the sculpt! The purple eyes were a real leap of faith, but I'm glad I did it. I'm always (not so) secretly wanting my versions of the Zombicide minis to look different from everyone else's, and I have never seen wolvz like mine!

I have said when everything is done, I will be doing bases. Well, I'm definitely getting closer every day and I am starting to consider just how I'll be doing 500+ of those...