• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the insta follow Boat!

Anyone else have an Instagram account? I'd love to follow more mini painters from Era.

You can add me through this one here:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
You and me both. Got lots of terrain I want to build and my mini backlog keeps growing but I've spent my last couple of evening building Gundam kits and sometimes I'm too tired to even work on that lol

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Followed! My insta is a mix of food and minis (and life) but I'm trying to get back to posting more of the hobby side.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Pushed out this one very fast. Started on Sunday and finished tonight. Faster then usual. Loved working on Gutts man. I want to get better at painting black capes, but that is for another model.

RZos3UE.jpg

eUwsePW.jpg

SHUAEDo.jpg

Nh5aojv.jpg

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Morning folks and thanks for the responses. An airbrush was used to do:
- priming zenithal style
- sword, did the grey grandient portion
- just a tad on the cape.

The rest of the model was all by hand. The airbrush is really a great tool to speed up the process of the things that are simple but take so much time.

I got a two Alpha Legion models I did recently where I used the airbrush more. Getting used to using more tools for the jobs at hand.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Jinaar, looks great. The sword is a stand out, but the entire model comes together nicely. Your various leathers look soft and well worn.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I painted Kador from the B-Sieged crossover and Milo from the Naiade guest box as the Sorcerer & his Apprentice from Walt Disney's Fantasia. (This is what happens when you've painted 90+ survivors!) While it was super easy to find references for the Mickey Mouse character, the Sorcerer himself was much more difficult. I was surprised at how plain and simple he looked in the animated short, so I had to take some liberties when painting Kador. I'm quite happy with the overall results. They look really well together and I think my homage works. Even better, as Zombicide characters they are both dedicated casters with virtually every single skill choice being related to spell casting. I look forward to a time when I can create custom necromancer cards and rules for them. My wife suggested I model up an army of walking brooms with unique rules! This is likely a "love it or hate it" type of homage for others, but my wife and kids adore these two.

iRbAIqZ.jpg
0U2k1JG.jpg
hgTT8l1.jpg
f8XG6Zd.png
PflX4Va.jpg

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Haha that's silly enough to work, SillyE! Great job as always on the painting as well as being creatively elastic on how you present your works. Go Micky!

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Alpha Legion - Primarius / Chaos style. I wanted to test out doing more with the airbrush to push out miniatures, and this was a fun test to do both models more with the airbrush the usually I do. Was a fun time. Plus did a base specific for them. That was great too to go thru.

8zlugyP.jpg

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Damn, that looks so good. So clean. Mine Pales in comparison.

Airbrush helps with it for sure. If I had to do a job like that by hand, it would take 5-10 thin coats on the armour just for the base coat alone! That is the problem with miniature painting, to get something done by brush, you need SO much free time to do it. Airbrushing allows for you to "cheat" to the same conclusion.

In the end, if you are like me with hundreds of models left to paint in backlog, sometimes "cheating" is ok to get more done.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
SillyEskimo and Jinaar fantastic work! I love the Fantasia idea and I'll be damned if I wouldn't find an entire army of brooms to be quite scary to behold.

Those Alphas are so nice looking. Could you list what you did with an airbrush exactly? I'm currently training in airbrush use at my local hobby center but have only used it to prime stuff so far. I can tell the armour was airbrushed and the power sword as well.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
SillyEskimo and Jinaar fantastic work! I love the Fantasia idea and I'll be damned if I wouldn't find an entire army of brooms to be quite scary to behold.

Those Alphas are so nice looking. Could you list what you did with an airbrush exactly? I'm currently training in airbrush use at my local hobby center but have only used it to prime stuff so far. I can tell the armour was airbrushed and the power sword as well.

For the Alphas, I just based in black primer, then went thru the line up of colors initially set out by Citadel paints for them with the Zenithal approach. So airbrush BASE coat with Incubi Darkness all over, then at a 45 degree plus angle do the next coat of Sotek Green, then I put in some white into the Sotek Green and did another airbrush blast right from the top down.

What I did afterwards was create my own wash of black which brushed up to darken certain areas and then a really water downed Sotek Green/White combo to brighten up the bottom parts. You load up the brush and then dab on paper most of it out and then just spread away in the right areas. A little goes a long way. Then the highlights with Gauss Blaster Green with some Sotek Green mix and that was that.

Ya the Power Sword was my first attempt with airbrushing like that. Used masking tape for that process, but my technique needs work.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The Rat King is ready to join the Necromancer Cabal! I wanted him to look dirty and right at home amongst the ratz. This also sets him apart from his fellow Necromancers. Very fun mini to paint and I love his rules that allow him to spawn ratz.

cuw9EWr.jpg
hTGPcLf.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Another Necromancer done. He is also playable as a survivor, so painting him kills two birds with one stone. Also, there are 2 sets of 4 NPCs painted as ghosts. I have custom rules for them in the game. The green ones move 2 moves per turn and make a direct beeline towards survivors, ignoring all terrain and even walls! The blue ones are the ghosts of dockmasters. They are treated just like regular walker zombies, but when they die they turn the square they were on into a water square which will remain in play for the rest of the game. I'll be making the 4 custom markers sometime this week. They aren't too fancy in the painting department but they look really good on the board and stand out a great deal which is what I was going for.

UUZo9no.jpg
3jtrbmM.jpg
0mzT5TR.jpg

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
First time painter here. I am using my Mansions of Madness miniatures to experiment and develop techniques before painting my higher quality miniatures.

I just primed my first set using the new Citadel Grey Seer undercoat. Are multiple coats recommended before painting? I think I managed good, even coverage aside from some small sections on the undersides of the miniatures. Is 100% coverage required before using contrast paints? I planned to give them a quick second coat tomorrow if necessary.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
First time painter here. I am using my Mansions of Madness miniatures to experiment and develop techniques before painting my higher quality miniatures.

I just primed my first set using the new Citadel Grey Seer undercoat. Are multiple coats recommended before painting? I think I managed good, even coverage aside from some small sections on the undersides of the miniatures. Is 100% coverage required before using contrast paints? I planned to give them a quick second coat tomorrow if necessary.

As long as every part of the model was hit, that should be enough. When you paint on none primed parts, the paint can chip off easily. One pass is fine but you can do a second pass if you wish but just spray across fast so it doesn't get much on the model during the second pass and pool.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Came back to the brushes after a couple weeks, with what will be the last* player of my Goblin BB team, the Doom Diver:

AAEljC6.jpg

Also, I've started to paint a Necromantic team using *only* Contrast paints. Although I've tried to experiment with the priming, doing a heavy white dry brush after the regular primer to try to create a dirtier texture as they (mostly) are dead dudes and so. Kinda worked, but I'm not sure I would repeat it :P

SUzu8cK.jpg

I'm really in love with the Blood Angels Contrast red, so great to apply. Same with the Yellow (I used it on the chicken goblin as the yellow base, shading and highlighting it as a regular paint) and the browns.

*Until I decide to mount my third River troll to create Ripper.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It's a small thing, but I love the stripe on the grass! Part of me wants to buy and paint every BB team in thegame. I was huge into that game back in 1988-89.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at doing mainly contrast paints on my next project (Deep Madness). My current project of Star Wars: Imperial Assault will continue with regular paints, so that everything stays fairly uniform throughout.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I really should pick up one of Shadowforge's nuns to make a Bloodbowl team. But then I remember the mountain of minis I still have to paint...lol.

Great works posted in here again! I need to get off my butt and upload the pics of what I've been working on.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone excited for warcry? I really wanna see what the Daughters of Khanie conversion rules will end up looking like.

The minis look nice. Their uniqueness is a pro and con to me though. I like Kill Team's ability to grab existing models to use in that game. WarCry seems more like Necromunda or even Blood Bowl in that it has particular sets that players need to buy.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
The minis look nice. Their uniqueness is a pro and con to me though. I like Kill Team's ability to grab existing models to use in that game. WarCry seems more like Necromunda or even Blood Bowl in that it has particular sets that players need to buy.

They have not been super clear about it but apparently you can use other factions as well. So as cool as the setting is my Golden hammerboys will be there to hit everything with hammers.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Have they actually said you can make warbands with regular units? All I heard is the new warbands having AoS rules or something like that.

Other than that the minis look cool, I'll give them that.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone excited for warcry? I really wanna see what the Daughters of Khanie conversion rules will end up looking like.

Yeah, thinking about selling Blackstone Fortress to fund Warcry. The Iron Golems come in the box and I really like their designs because they remind me so much of the Dark Souls 2 dwarves but the other factions look fantastic too.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Semi interested. I like the look of the Iron Golems (defo using their ogor in my Gutbuster force as a maneater or something) and the thought of a more melee focused Kill Team is great, the problem with KT is it can becomes a bit of a mindless shootout once you get everybody into good positions. That said the starter looks like it might be a bit pricey so I hope their is an easier way to get into it. Always vaguely been interested in starting an Ironjawz army so getting a orruky warband might be a possibility in my future.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
One of the latest videos mentions that models could have anywhere between ten and thirty wounds depending on the unit, so I expect wound charts to be a thing. I just hope that melee combat goes beyond just people swinging at each other and involves pushing, displacing, or throwing models as well.

Oct 25, 2017
WarCry seems more like Necromunda or even Blood Bowl in that it has particular sets that players need to buy.
that is honestly part of the appeal to me, i saw some pics of the rule book earlier and it has a really nice pick up and play aspect to it mixed with the typical complexities. Like doing damage has been reduced to a single dice roll and then you just do weapon damage after saves.

the problem with KT is it can becomes a bit of a mindless shootout once you get everybody into good positions.

Agreed, I decided to play druhkari wyches in KT because I hoped at least there I would be able to focus on movement, but hilariously I just ended up building heavy kabalite warriors because guns are just so much better in KT. I've had 3 wyches surround a thousand sons marine and just deal 0 damage despite landing something like 9 attack rolls.

Last edited:

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Have they actually said you can make warbands with regular units? All I heard is the new warbands having AoS rules or something like that.

Other than that the minis look cool, I'll give them that.
They have said you will make warbands from other factions. You will need the rulebook and a pack of cards for the faction I think if you want reference cards. I cannot WAIT to see the inevitable Slaves to Darkness armys people make coverting these warbands though. Its like an instand huge model update for them conversion wise.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
that is honestly part of the appeal to me, i saw some pics of the rule book earlier and it has a really nice pick up and play aspect to it mixed with the typical complexities. Like doing damage has been reduced to a single dice roll and then you just do weapon damage after saves.

Agreed, I decided to play druhkari wyches in KT because I hoped at least there I would be able to focus on movement, but hilariously I just ended up building heavy kabalite warriors because guns are just so much better in KT. I've had 3 wyches surround a thousand sons marine and just deal 0 damage despite landing something like 9 attack rolls.
Agreed about the shooting, which is why I was pretty happy when they talked about being able to knock people off of ledges and stuff in Warcry. AOS should translate very well to this kind of game. No place for the mighty crossbows (aka fucking quad bolters) of my sigmar army in a game like that. Its all hammers to faces.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh all the shooting is why I'm a big fan of Kill Team. That being said if they allow AoS minis (and maybe the Underworlds warbands?) to play Warcry I guess the game won't be dead on arrival. I'll say the starter box with all the terrain is impressive.

Here's hoping when the Sisters of Battle release they will get a nice box like that, with 2 armies and terrain. I would buy it at high price, lol.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017

A channel I follow did an unboxing and blind review of the contents within the Warcry box, including the rulebook.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
GMG is my favourite miniature games channel out there. He's great, and puts out a MASSIVE amount of content, goddamn.