• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Time to put my mouth where my paintbrush is. Apologies for the terrible pics, the phone went weird with the lighting on some of them. Once I get done with these and

CQsYKrM.jpg

These are the first minis I've painted since 5 years ago or so. There's paint errors all over, I hate Tau feet and also tried contrast paint for the first time, Apothecary white on most and Basilicanum Grey on that one gun drone. I still haven't mastered the right way to apply contrast without leaving plenty of brush strokes, which is why there's that dirty white look on most surfaces. It does look slightly better from a distance though. Once I finish them all I'll make touch-ups passes on all of them, hoping there's going to be less of those as I progress.

I need to invest in better brushes, I need sharper points and also points who remain straight, my main detail brush (AK) is nice but it curls immediately and that's why the lenses were so poorly done. I'm thinking of grabbing some red sable brushes, those seem to be ace in that regard.

I still have 4 pathfinders, 1 stealth suit and the recon drone to paint, I'll try to tackle them this coming week so I can finally field them for Kill Team...and also allow myself to buy more minis, lol.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize that this thread existed so here are my kill teams I painted in March

tumblr_pot3jv4TKA1s3ndp6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pot3jv4TKA1s3ndp6o2_1280.jpg

That was my first time painting so sorry if they look bad. I have more but I don't know if I have pictures of them right now

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't mastered the right way to apply contrast without leaving plenty of brush strokes, which is why there's that dirty white look on most surfaces.

With the little experience I've got with Contrast, I would say start by to not overcharging the brush with paint. The "one thick coat" slogan sounds great, but at the end you don't want to treat it as a wash when you apply it (although it's actually similar to a heavy pigment wash :P). Compare how the GW guy paints this Ultramarine armour with Contrast with how this guy, this guy or this other guy apply the paint. Brushes much, much less charged which gives you more control on where the paint it goes, less pooling is created, and whenever it starts to happen you can easily swipe it off.

You probably won't have results similar to those guys above, but you probably don't have their absurd brush control either. That's perfectly fine, they are pros and Tau has plenty of large flat surfaces which are a pain to paint with contrast , but with some care you will get much, much better results with those paints.

Oct 27, 2017
er

Your base rim isn't very tidy.

That's all I've got, the mini is brilliant

I know, was a fast and dirty drybrush. I'll post an update later tonight when I'm done with the mini.

Thanks for the kind words.

Edit.

I'm done with it. Not pleased with the weapon, tried to make some form of gem but it didn't turn out well. I don't think there are enough cracks to make it look like I wanted.

And I need to work on my brush control, the higlights are not as straight or neat as I would like, and I need to really stop using to much color, diluting it more with water to get a more even coat.

Front
03VJobT.jpg

Side.
l755rJlh.jpg

Back.
fCuYpAc.jpg

Last edited:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so I thought this thread had died but it turns out Era just stopped updating me when posts were made here. I've missed so many sweet looking minis!

On the subject of Warcry, I was pretty excited for it- a lot of the minis look awesome and they'd work well in DnD as well (a big criteria for me when it comes to investing in a new mini game is if I can also use the minis for DnD). But man, that starter set is just a little out of my price ranger. If it was $70-$50 less I'd probably cave and buy it.

Here's some recent minis I painted!

VZKkN4El.jpg

Mcw3EpOl.jpg

This is a Reaper Bones Black miniature that I painted MOSTLY with an airbrush. The rest was done with contrast paints. I think I wanna go back and brighten up the eyes but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

JvC9yRol.jpg

7JCWp1sl.jpg

Another Reaper Bones Black mini. I made a large order from Reaper a month or so back for DnD, and this guy was the free mini of the month. They sent me 3 of him, so this one right here was just a practice mini. Skin was painted with airbrush, the rest of him using contrast paints.

4DCRlkvl.jpg

WJZGC2al.jpg

So the ogre above was actually a practice for this guy! It's the White Lion from Kingdom Death Monster. I've had Kingdom Death minis for a long time now, but never had the courage to paint them since I figured I'd mess em up. Finally went ahead and painted one, while also starting my first campaign.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't seen the KD White Lion yet, I'm dissapointed by that sculpt. Your airbrush work is great however! Love that chicken.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my second Eternal. Think I'll move on to a Rockgut Troll next. I'll try blending more than doing the Games Workshop Eavy Metal style this time. I like the highlights I do but I want to get a more natural highlight next time.

ChfY7C0.jpg

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, I only now discover this thread. At some point tabletop gaming (40k Tyranids) simply lost its appeal: standing for two to three hours at a table and dice each others minis to death didn't do much for me anymore. Therefore, even if it it wasn't for time and space constraints, I'd not touch a tabletop system again. If anybody in Germany is interested, I'm looking to sell off my Tyranid collection...

However, miniature board games scratch the mini painting/playing itch nicely for me. Recently specifically Descent 2nd Ed.. It motivated me to get into mini painting again this year, after ten years of absence. Unlike with a tabletop army, there's even hope that I might get to mostly finish the set of 39 base game minis this year. Or ever. This is where I'm at now (picture overkill):

img_20190526_143256__ojjao.jpg

Goblins:
img_20190526_155938__wxk4a.jpg

img_20190526_160042__lzjgb.jpg

Barghest:
img_20190601_100918_k7zkt1.jpg

img_20190526_143114__1ukwn.jpg

Cave Spiders:
img_20190530_074841__t4ka4.jpg

img_20190530_075101__fwjc4.jpg

img_20190530_075457__11kgh.jpg

Flesh Moulders:
img_20190610_141537_kh4k95.jpg

img_20190610_141631_kp5kb0.jpg

Group shot small minions:
img_20190610_142143_kcxkh3.jpg

Merriods:
img_20190709_063647__2ek53.jpg

img_20190709_063927__1sj1l.jpg

Lady Eliza Farrow:
img_20190616_210635__6ljiu.jpg

img_20190616_210921__87j4s.jpg

img_20190616_210732__8ak8x.jpg

img_20190616_211028__sek4f.jpg

Baron Zachareth
img_20190720_153207_ke8j0x.jpg

img_20190720_153329_k1mjvl.jpg

img_20190720_153419_kkejui.jpg

img_20190720_153503__30kqo.jpg

Jane Fairwood
img_20190728_204449_k04jnd.jpg

img_20190728_204501_katj83.jpg

img_20190728_204404_k3gkwg.jpg

img_20190728_204724_k3mjf4.jpg

Last edited:

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Oooh, a painting thread. Cool! I figured Era would have one, just hadn't seen it until now.

I've been trying to paint seriously and really improve for a couple years now. Still a ways to go, but I'm steadily getting better.
Here are a couple minis from some Shadows Of Brimstone figure sets I painted. Each set had 6 figures in total and it took 3-4 hours to paint each set.
It was my first proper shot at using contrast paints too. Very happy with how much they sped up the process.
67549930_10157196545431826_5126299301797953536_o.jpg

67287924_10157196545466826_3975007153164386304_o.jpg

And I also like painting Raging Heroes figures. These were done with 'normal' paints. I'm not sure how well Contrast paints would suit these, as they are maybe a bit too detailed?
The lady with the sword took about 4 hours to paint, and the one with the blue mohawk took about 7 hours because the amount of detail on the figure was just nuts!
65387367_10157129276641826_7681581912640454656_o.jpg

62311159_10157077154466826_5273882517051539456_o.jpg

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Nice works!

Contrast paints work better when there's tons of detail on the mini since it allows the paint to flow into every recess. On wide flat surfaces it just stays there amd pools. But you do need to be careful that it doesn't run over other details, yes.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
So you can still use contrast paints on wide open areas, you just have to make sure you thin them down-either with the contrast medium or something else. When you do that, they don't work as a "contrast" paint any longer and instead are just like a glaze. But if you like the color and want to use your contrast paint, that's what you should do when using them on a flat surface.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm painting a Rockgut troll, and man I chose the wrong color scheme for it, the darkest it get's is a medium dark grey and from there it gets brighter with various grays and whites. I'm not liking the look of it at all haha. So I think I might try to get another color in there since it looks awful just being white. White as a color is kind of hard to layer in any highlights in haha.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
For those interested in Warcry, the datacards for the Stormcast Vanguard leaked and hot damn, they look interesting! I might actually try to build a warband of these.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm painting a Rockgut troll, and man I chose the wrong color scheme for it, the darkest it get's is a medium dark grey and from there it gets brighter with various grays and whites. I'm not liking the look of it at all haha. So I think I might try to get another color in there since it looks awful just being white. White as a color is kind of hard to layer in any highlights in haha.

You can try darkening all the colors on it as a whole by using a dark wash, or some darker colored glazes. Or just paint some darker colors over top and then go back and brighten them up.

Also, I was excited about Warcry but the starter set is just too much money for me right now. I hope it's still available when I've got more hobby funds. The models look really cool.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I was excited about Warcry but the starter set is just too much money for me right now. I hope it's still available when I've got more hobby funds. The models look really cool.
Just pick the book up and battleplan cards and you're set, the terrain you can just make up yourself (or use terrain you already have!) and order the warbands you like when they release (should be one every 2 to 3 weeks).

Oct 27, 2017
I need some ideas, I have no clue on what color I'll use for my Rockguts "rocks". It has to fit with the green color somehow.

When I'm talking about rocks, I'm talking about the ones on it's elbows and back.

6pIzk8F.jpg

Last edited:

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Not a bad idea, I need to learn how to paint rocks that are not the usual grey haha.
To start out, you can use grey and then mix in any colors you want. In this case red would be perfect, since red contrasts well with the green skin tone. Opposite sides of the color wheel and such...

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back to painting after a way too long break. Stuff got into way.

I'll try to paint something every day here on now, gotta practice plus it is fun and relaxing.

Good thing is that my paints and stuff seems to be in reasonable order, despite less than ideal storage and lack of use. Vallejo Greens still suck though, i keep wondering if i got a bad batch or if it is a general issue? No matter, a Citadel green layer i got will do for now.
Might need brush soap or whatever it is called. Unfortunately i have issues figuring what's it is called in Finnish, googling gets me results about people using turpentine to clean their brushes... I suppose i need to ask in a local gaming store.

Thought a camo would be difficult to paint but nah, it doesn't seem to be as long as the paint works.

I probably need to work on my posture and how i hold the brush though, my fingers hurt...

Painting BattleTech minis in case someone wonders. Might take pics once i'm done, if i remember.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Went back to the Descent hero mini to improve the face a bit. Which was hard, because it's so tiny, I'm reaching the limit with what I can do with bare eyes. Or my brush control for that matter.

img_20190804_130307__nqjsa.jpg

Aaaand I started on one of the game's two elementals. First time trying to really paint a largeer fire effect.

img_20190804_182434__77k6w.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't painted anything in around 8 years or so, but some old friends and I have started meeting at a tabletop games club every month or so for board/skirmish games (it's about all we've got time for), and we all agreed that each trying to paint something each month would be a good rule to have. I've wanted to paint my Space Hulk minis for a decade now, and so thought I'd give the contrast paints a go. Really impressed with the bone (skeleton horde) and the black (black Templar) with just one coat, the latter in particular comes up as almost like a chalky, charcoal effect that looks nice. Wasn't too impressed with the purple (carroburg something). The consistency felt off no matter how much I played with the medium, leaving pink on the raised areas and all the pigment pooled in the recesses. Went with two coats in the end. Anyway, after blacking out the claws and picking out a few details like Terminator helmets and tongues, I got 20 done in two hours (over the course of a day, leaving it to dry for half an hour between coats).

iNABJn.jpeg

8aNh0B.jpeg

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't painted anything in around 8 years or so, but some old friends and I have started meeting at a tabletop games club every month or so for board/skirmish games (it's about all we've got time for), and we all agreed that each trying to paint something each month would be a good rule to have. I've wanted to paint my Space Hulk minis for a decade now, and so thought I'd give the contrast paints a go. Really impressed with the bone (skeleton horde) and the black (black Templar) with just one coat, the latter in particular comes up as almost like a chalky, charcoal effect that looks nice. Wasn't too impressed with the purple (carroburg something). The consistency felt off no matter how much I played with the medium, leaving pink on the raised areas and all the pigment pooled in the recesses. Went with two coats in the end. Anyway, after blacking out the claws and picking out a few details like Terminator helmets and tongues, I got 20 done in two hours (over the course of a day, leaving it to dry for half an hour between coats).

First off, nice job and it's cool that you're getting back into painting! Nice goal to have with friends, as well. Secondly, is the paint called Carroburg Crimson? If so, that is actually not a contrast paint and it's a shade, which is why it's reacting differently. I believe the purple colors for Contrast are Magos Purple, Volupus Pink and Shyish Purple.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
First off, nice job and it's cool that you're getting back into painting! Nice goal to have with friends, as well. Secondly, is the paint called Carroburg Crimson? If so, that is actually not a contrast paint and it's a shade, which is why it's reacting differently. I believe the purple colors for Contrast are Magos Purple, Volupus Pink and Shyish Purple.
Ah, that's a great help and explains a lot, thanks! I picked up a set that had some shades, bases and contrasts in it as it saved a few quid and somehow didn't notice despite the paint pots being different sizes, doh! Clearly Magos Purple is the one I should have picked up, it's in the name!

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Been taking a break from the GW stuff to bash out some Bolt Actions guys using online Contrast and shades (aside from leadbelcher)

Here's the US stuff i've done so far, now im figuring out how to do the German uniform

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are brush-on primers easy to use? And do they smell as bad as spray primers? I mean, i did spraying on balcony but now i can't keep the damn door open for hours and it is just tad too hot in here...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not a bad idea, I need to learn how to paint rocks that are not the usual grey haha.
Sandstone might look nice, a nice earthy yellow.

If the way you've highlighted the green skin with is with a cooler tone (it looks it) go with soft browns to warm yellow. Otherwise, go cool (go with a pale yellow highlighted with bone).

Oct 27, 2017
Sandstone might look nice, a nice earthy yellow.

If the way you've highlighted the green skin with is with a cooler tone (it looks it) go with soft browns to warm yellow. Otherwise, go cool (go with a pale yellow highlighted with bone).

I just finished with the back of the troll, so the rock is next, I think the gem is going to be purple so I think a soft brown is a good look.

Back of the Troll, kind of hard to get a good picture.

And I decided to do another pass on the green, the last highlight is to bright.

ojqOwHm.jpg

wM8G6Dv.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just finished with the back of the troll, so the rock is next, I think the gem is going to be purple so I think a soft brown is a good look.

Back of the Troll, kind of hard to get a good picture.

ojqOwHm.jpg

wM8G6Dv.jpg
Oh that's really sweet, the warm red/orange contrasts well with the green, nicely done!

Tymerend

Oct 30, 2017
Kansas City
Cool minis. What kind of game is Rum & Bones?

It's a pirate themed MOBA, essentially. Each player has a ship(s), a crew and a few heros with special powers that you use by getting coins from killing the basic crew. You destroy the other teams ship features (mast, deck guns etc...), maybe fight the nasty kraken that shows up and be the first to get ten victory points to win.

I enjoy the personality of the characters, the minis are all fun, and the game is enjoyable enough. Found most of it on sale or clearance since CMON is allergic to supporting their games for more than a couple of months.