• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Really cool Kharnete I've been delaying putting together a team since I've been waiting for Lizardmen but I guess that wait is over.

Thanks, I've only recently started to get into learning how to do NMM with this game. So far it's just been on some swords, but I'm digging the results.

I use this for gold and I've gotten good results on sword hilts. You've got a great grasp on the metal already, I struggle with swords.

OjEkIFW.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the Stranger Things team for Zombicide. I also picked up the D&D Stranger Things set on sale for the Demogorgon figs. Holy shit they are bad. They're more like rubber. You can squish them flat between 2 fingers. Thankfully, they took primer and paint well enough. At least they look good now.

gYrm7Qq.jpg
KLs3LbS.jpg
qCXP8Jc.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Really cool Kharnete I've been delaying putting together a team since I've been waiting for Lizardmen but I guess that wait is over.

I use this for gold and I've gotten good results on sword hilts. You've got a great grasp on the metal already, I struggle with swords.

Holy shit, thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a way to paint a eagle NMM Gold.

If you need some help with NMM I've got a few videos for you, the dudes quite entertaining as well.

I'm still painting my Krieg, I'm currently painting the standard bearer, more pleased with my blends this time around. I'm trying to paint the body armor as NMM but I want it to be black and I'm struggling haha.

SillyEskimo I love how you can paint so many minis with that amount of quality, good on you.

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Hjod those tutorials are going to come in handy. I follow Miniac on Instagram but never thought to see if he had a YouTube page, thanks.

fSKFoaI.jpg

Little bit of progress in my traitor Titan. The hood is just a dry fit test but it sadly covers a lot of detail on the head and the hood itself because of how it comes together. It's a shame but I'll paint the pieces completely the way I would with any other piece even if they're going to be concealed some.

The green should be more like seafoam green, like Sons of Horus colors. I think it could pop more if the gold was muted more too. We'll see once I get more panels on. I think the second and tertiary colors will be black and bone. Or maybe super dark grey and bone.

I'm super excited to continue working on this, but I won't have much time in the next couple weeks.

Late night thought: maybe I'll darken the trim and make it brass instead.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sad that it covers all that amazing details.

Miniacs youtube is quite good, he's a bit excentric haha. But great tutorials.

I've tried my hand on NMM gold, didn't have any of the colors I needed so I mixed my own. The gold got a tad cold but I think I got the idea of it. Will post photo when I'm done.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Miniac recently quit his job and is doing the YouTube/Patreon thing full time. Big step and I imagine quite scary!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, out of the models revealed for that new faction I'm not too into most of them, but damn that guy is just...amazing. He will almost certainly be out of my price range for buying a mini, but holy shit he looks awesome. It's basically a little diorama by itself.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
The new Mortarch and models are really cool.

I like that they're not just armored skeletons, they're like warped bone structures, like a simulacrum of what someone thinks skeletons with natural armor should look like instead of brittle frames. All the characters in that dudes retinue look really cool.

Kinda sad that it covers all that amazing details.

Miniacs youtube is quite good, he's a bit excentric haha. But great tutorials.

I've tried my hand on NMM gold, didn't have any of the colors I needed so I mixed my own. The gold got a tad cold but I think I got the idea of it. Will post photo when I'm done.

I don't have a recipe like that for warm gold but if I come across one I'll definitely share it here.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, out of the models revealed for that new faction I'm not too into most of them, but damn that guy is just...amazing. He will almost certainly be out of my price range for buying a mini, but holy shit he looks awesome. It's basically a little diorama by itself.

It's insane, but it will probably be priced just as insanly.

The new Mortarch and models are really cool.

I like that they're not just armored skeletons, they're like warped bone structures, like a simulacrum of what someone thinks skeletons with natural armor should look like instead of brittle frames. All the characters in that dudes retinue look really cool.

I don't have a recipe like that for warm gold but if I come across one I'll definitely share it here.

The bone samurai is really awesome haha.

I need to find a brown that is yellowish haha. I ordered Vallejos gold brown so I think I'll be fine.

STech

Sep 24, 2018

My wip after several years of waiting. Sorry for the photographies btw, I'll do it better the next time

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Looks good! Did you actually use a static grass applicator to get the grass to stand up like that? The shoulder pads, belt buckle, and straps look great too.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Looks good! Did you actually use a static grass applicator to get the grass to stand up like that? The shoulder pads, belt buckle, and straps look great too.

nah, I just only use glue and I put the grass there with some tweezers

God, the photo looks horrible, it's a lot better in hands.
The next must be better!

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Love them. Orcs are probably my favourite "classic" GW Blood Bowl team (although I must admit I also love their new version).

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just added a LOT of minis to my need to be painted pile. My local hobby shop was having a labor day weekend sale and had the Warcry starter set for 50% off. Had to buy it at that price. It'll be my first time painting terrain, looking forward to it.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just added a LOT of minis to my need to be painted pile. My local hobby shop was having a labor day weekend sale and had the Warcry starter set for 50% off. Had to buy it at that price. It'll be my first time painting terrain, looking forward to it.
Its actually a fun game too. Warhammer tv have a painting guide for that terrain what might give you some ideas.
Also, there are assembly guides telling you what not to glue when assembling. For some reason the instructions tell you to glue certain bits in such a way that you can't make all the deployment maps in the game.

Last edited:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Its actually a fun game too. Warhammer tv have a painting guide for that terrain what might give you some ideas.
Also, there are assembly guides telling you what not to glue when assembling. For some reason the instructions tell you to glue certain bits in such a way that you can't make all the deployment maps in the game.

Weird, thanks for the heads up. Either gonna work on my Kingdom Death Phoenix today or start building some of the Warcry models.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I just got into miniature painting, mostly for board games. I've been painting Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth.

Couple of questions:
1) Any tips for taking pictures with a phone? My pictures always come out really blurry and I don't know if I'm just setting the resolution too low or zooming in too far with the camera lens. The pictures look fine on the phone but when I upload them to imgur they don't look great on the computer screen.
2) What are some good ways to deal with mold lines? Does it just depend on the miniature/plastic quality? I sometimes don't even see them until I start to paint and the ones that I do find I try to go at with my hobby knife (sometimes the blade and sometimes the back of the blade).
3) If I seal my figures with varnish, can I still go back later to do basing effects like with vallejo earth paste/gel and cork rocks or will they not stick to the base anymore?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I just got into miniature painting, mostly for board games. I've been painting Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth.

Couple of questions:
1) Any tips for taking pictures with a phone? My pictures always come out really blurry and I don't know if I'm just setting the resolution too low or zooming in too far with the camera lens. The pictures look fine on the phone but when I upload them to imgur they don't look great on the computer screen.
2) What are some good ways to deal with mold lines? Does it just depend on the miniature/plastic quality? I sometimes don't even see them until I start to paint and the ones that I do find I try to go at with my hobby knife (sometimes the blade and sometimes the back of the blade).
3) If I seal my figures with varnish, can I still go back later to do basing effects like with vallejo earth paste/gel and cork rocks or will they not stick to the base anymore?
Never use zoom. Get close to the mini then crop as needed. Games Workshop has a great article about it here.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Never use zoom. Get close to the mini then crop as needed. Games Workshop has a great article about it here.
Thanks for the advice! Some of these are OK. Might need to fix my lighting situation. It's hilarious how the camera picks up little details that I just can't see with my eyes when I'm painting. My first set of ruffians is definitely messier than the ones I've painted after. Here's to getting better!

9sHXhrO.png

kJ0xx6C.jpg

7u4w9Uh.jpg

JomrOap.png

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice! Some of these are OK. Might need to fix my lighting situation. It's hilarious how the camera picks up little details that I just can't see with my eyes when I'm painting. My first set of ruffians is definitely messier than the ones I've painted after. Here's to getting better!

It's the same for me, it always looks worse when you see your minis on a computer screen or after you've taken pictures haha.

I think your minis looks really great.

I started working on Roboute, there is a lot of gold on that mini so perfect to practice my non metalic metals.

kN6aXiQ.jpg

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same for me, it always looks worse when you see your minis on a computer screen or after you've taken pictures haha.

I think your minis looks really great.

I started working on Roboute, there is a lot of gold on that mini so perfect to practice my non metalic metals.

Your minis look great!

I find NMM to be a competition-level technique, and if that's what you're striving for, then good on you. For me, Vallejo Metal Colors are hands-down the best metallics on the market, and are going to give that true metallic look from any angle, whereas NMM is only going to look great from one or two angles.

Oct 27, 2017
Your minis look great!

I find NMM to be a competition-level technique, and if that's what you're striving for, then good on you. For me, Vallejo Metal Colors are hands-down the best metallics on the market, and are going to give that true metallic look from any angle, whereas NMM is only going to look great from one or two angles.

I don't think I'm going to use NMM on models I use to play with. Currently I don't play any 40k or Age of Sigmar, I just enjoy painting a lot. So that's why I have the time to do NMM. I do have a box of Kill Team on the way so those models will probably not get as much love as those I paint currently haha.

Dec 22, 2017
Florida
Hello everyone! Lots of great stuff in here as usual. I have been busy with painting and have a few new things to post.

Kriza Borac HMG(put him on a 30mm base since I dont play nomads and he was a bit small for the regular s5 base)
5wKe6kd.jpg

Umbra Legate with Lightsaber conversion
soWXlJK.jpg

Bahg Mari Multi Sniper
OGXbDZr.jpg

Gabriel De Fersen
V60ydMn.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Those elementals are great!

I just finished another Zombicide hero. He's my 99th one!

bd1zmOi.jpg

This was my first time painting a tartan and I learned a lot.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work, SillyEskimo ! I have a "highlands minotaur" mini that I've been putting off painting cus I'm scared of the tartan. I should probably just go for it. Maybe pick up one extra mini from bones or something to practice on first.

Also like those elementals, Burny ! Especially the pink one, cool choice.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome. I don't think I have the patience to try something like that.

It really wasn't that bad. I'm doing a Highlander homage character next and I will paint another tartan. That one is smaller than the one above so should paint up much faster, but even the one above wasn't bad at all. I still kept him in the same time frame as any other hero I have painted. I'm actually curious if the larger tartan will weirdly be easier to paint than a smaller one because of how much easier it may be to map out the pattern?

I watched a handful of tutorials and quickly realized that no two people paint tartans the same way. After my third tutorial, it was getting more confusing than helpful lol. I went ahead and did it the way I had planned it in my head prior to watching anyone else's method. My thought process was like a little of each other tutorial I watched. I think color selection is probably the most important part. The yellowish part on mine is a bit too much, but the cartoonish look really makes him pop so I don't think I'll attempt to knock that color down at all. I'll just chalk it up to lessons learned.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Warcry box set should be here sunday! Wife got it as a surprise! I can teach it to my son as its easier than learning the bigger games (and faster to play.)

Also I apparently have everything I need to play Flesh Eaters in it too! This was all just me trying to start a terrain collection so big ups to the wife for doing the damn thing.

Now I just hope they release more stat cards for the other Stormcast Chambers. Over 1500 pts of stormcast in my household and none of them are ranger boys. We all hammers and spellcasters.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
It really wasn't that bad. I'm doing a Highlander homage character next and I will paint another tartan. That one is smaller than the one above so should paint up much faster, but even the one above wasn't bad at all. I still kept him in the same time frame as any other hero I have painted. I'm actually curious if the larger tartan will weirdly be easier to paint than a smaller one because of how much easier it may be to map out the pattern?

I watched a handful of tutorials and quickly realized that no two people paint tartans the same way. After my third tutorial, it was getting more confusing than helpful lol. I went ahead and did it the way I had planned it in my head prior to watching anyone else's method. My thought process was like a little of each other tutorial I watched. I think color selection is probably the most important part. The yellowish part on mine is a bit too much, but the cartoonish look really makes him pop so I don't think I'll attempt to knock that color down at all. I'll just chalk it up to lessons learned.

Hey, looking at your painting you are clearly able to handle pretty small detail areas and your highlights are all really well placed. I would start experimenting with thin glazes and stuff. That tartan for instance is painted super accurate, but if you did the pattern with multiple glazes between it would make it all blend really smoothly.

That said its adding a ton of painting time. This is more me complimenting your brushwork than trying to give you a tip!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of tartans, here is one I painted last year. Can't believe I'm sharing stuff from last year, but haven't painted much. :(

edit. ugh such a bad photo too now that I see it on a bigger screen

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, looking at your painting you are clearly able to handle pretty small detail areas and your highlights are all really well placed. I would start experimenting with thin glazes and stuff. That tartan for instance is painted super accurate, but if you did the pattern with multiple glazes between it would make it all blend really smoothly.

That said its adding a ton of painting time. This is more me complimenting your brushwork than trying to give you a tip!

Quality vs results is super interesting in this hobby. Sure I could spend significantly more time on these for better results, but this project is huge! I've been working on painting Zombicide Black Plague for 1.5 years now and that includes close to 600 miniatures. It's a really weird balance of trying to get good results but not spending an inordinate amounts of time on any one thing. Plus I have to keep a nice consistency from first mini at the start of the project to the last mini at the end. I like these little learning experiences along the way, of which there are many. One day I want to take all these little lessons learned and put them towards a miniature where I can really take my time and see what I could accomplish when my goal isn't strictly progress on a larger project. But then again, I have a happy little niche for myself right now knocking out Zombicide stuff. I still have all of Invader and of course Zombicide 2.0 will be launching on Kickstarter soon! Honestly, I love the feeling of painting HUGE projects like this at a descent standard. It is extremely rewarding seeing everything come together and completing tiny "projects within projects". There is always something to look forward to and always something pushing me forward during a huge project. At the end of the day I'm just happy with my results and where I am within my niche.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Accepting a lower quality for a higher speed is something I need to learn. Sure, there are techniques I don't even consider to use on regular figures due their difficulty/time needed, but my brain can't accept anything less than a "very good" effort for anything I paint. Being slow as hell doesn't help on that either, as the difference between an alright and a good paintjob won't be so different on time. At least there are ways to cheat both, time and quality, and I abuse them each chance I have. Hello airbrush.

Hell, even with the Blood Bowl team I'm currently painting using *only* Contrast paints I'm not noticing a big time saving. Sure, I'm not using them GW style ofovercharge the brush and wash the miniature/area, but a more regular application for extra control/better results, but I don't know, I expected a bit more :P

At least it served to discover some fantastic paints on that range. Blood Angels Red, Iyanden Yellow, Snakebite Leather and a couple more are *outstanding* as a regular colours. I still need to get a black pot to try it (and finish the goddamn team scheme).

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I think the second you put a painted mini in a group with other painted minis (especially if you've altered colors or composition slightly) a lot of the detail (including mistakes and lack of time-consuming techniques) disappears anyway. I don't really know if that is what "tabletop standard" means, but I think it's more fair to say "among a group of similar minis standard."

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Quality vs results is super interesting in this hobby. Sure I could spend significantly more time on these for better results, but this project is huge! I've been working on painting Zombicide Black Plague for 1.5 years now and that includes close to 600 miniatures. It's a really weird balance of trying to get good results but not spending an inordinate amounts of time on any one thing. Plus I have to keep a nice consistency from first mini at the start of the project to the last mini at the end. I like these little learning experiences along the way, of which there are many. One day I want to take all these little lessons learned and put them towards a miniature where I can really take my time and see what I could accomplish when my goal isn't strictly progress on a larger project. But then again, I have a happy little niche for myself right now knocking out Zombicide stuff. I still have all of Invader and of course Zombicide 2.0 will be launching on Kickstarter soon! Honestly, I love the feeling of painting HUGE projects like this at a descent standard. It is extremely rewarding seeing everything come together and completing tiny "projects within projects". There is always something to look forward to and always something pushing me forward during a huge project. At the end of the day I'm just happy with my results and where I am within my niche.

I totally get it, I am batch painting 1500 points of Stormcast right now and I am sure I will have to make concessions. I get them all to a certain quality then slowly do the details on all of them over a long period of time. My guess would be that the whole army will take a few months. I get how even a few months for an army is quite a bit.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I think the second you put a painted mini in a group with other painted minis (especially if you've altered colors or composition slightly) a lot of the detail (including mistakes and lack of time-consuming techniques) disappears anyway. I don't really know if that is what "tabletop standard" means, but I think it's more fair to say "among a group of similar minis standard."
That is absolutely what tabeltop standard means. I have a hard time stopping there, but I love playing any army that hits that standard. Always look good on the table.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, Matttimeo , Boat Times ! :3

Resetera can embed Instagram now? These are the last minis I painted before the ten year painting hiatus that ended this year.

I hear you. It's a problem for me, because I almost compulsively feel the need to paint minis not perfectly, but at least to a pretty high and clean level. Especially for unique miniatures. I guess I cannot stand the thought that the mini is just painted "good enough" or "tabletop standard", if I only get to paint a single one. It's much less of an issue, when it's just from a group of minis. It took conscious effort to not overspend with the above set of Runebound 2nd Ed. heroes ten years ago (~3h-4h / mini), but for the Descent 2nd Ed. heroes and larger monsters, I really, really want to see how good looking I can get them, without outright trying to paint in a kind of "competition mode".

This painting mode unfortunately takes a lot of time I don't necessarily have or can take for it. About 8h for the Jane Fairwood hero model, ~10h for the larger monsters. Also the painting roadmap is layed out with some substantial projects. I'd like to finish the Descent base game this year, but there are three heroes and monsters addons in the pipeline. Another 12 heroes and about as many monsters as in the base game. Sometime next year or the year after, Altar Quest from Blacklist Games and Trudvang Legends from CMON will arrive.

At least I get a ton of enjoyment out of slowly progressing with these minis. Sometimes more than from playing the actual games... 😝

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
For a time I preferred skirmish games because I could put more work into single miniatures instead of applying the same amount of effort to hordes and such. Painting so many Chainrasps for my Nighthaunt certainly showed me that a moderately well painted horde can really come together on the table when they're all bunched up. It's why I've started standing up and looking at my recent miniatures from a farther perspective because the flaws aren't as evident compared to when you're up close and painting details.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
There can be only one!

m7xVNSc.jpg
I got tartans down now.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Lord help me I bought a Tesseract Vault to use in the final Apoc level game of our narrative campaign.

STech

Sep 24, 2018

Finally, I've ended one miniature after several years, I'm back!

The photos, at least, are better this time

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
There can be only one!

m7xVNSc.jpg
I got tartans down now.

Man you're a legend. That display you shared some time back just be getting real crowded now. That's a gorgeous tartan, are you using references from real clan patterns?

Painting terrain sucks. It's no fun at all haha.

I love building and painting terrain almost more than painting minis. It's a lot of work but it comes together so nicely in the end.

Finally, I've ended one miniature after several years, I'm back!

The photos, at least, are better this time

That looks so damned good with great lighting, wow. Great work.