• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I love building and painting terrain almost more than painting minis. It's a lot of work but it comes together so nicely in the end.

I've kind of changed my mind, it's all about my mindset. I'm painting them in a hurry so me and a friend can play Kill Team on friday so I'm in a hurry. But today I took my time picking out details, highlighting stuff and I started enjoying it again.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017

Can't believe I've completely misplaced my old Aeronautica squadrons. I'll have to completely excavate my closet and all those boxes to find what I can.

I didn't know the models would be so drastically different. Thunderbolts were already so big compared to Ork Fightas back then but I guess they're a little closer now.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The Flameon Miniature guy is also ridiculously good. Like, I just can't take my eyes off his stuff. His freehand is amazing.

WD-Watchdog-Flameon-Miniatures-10.jpg

2%2Bpng.png
dsc_0204__sized_l.jpg

ty%25C5%2582%2Bp%25C5%2582aszcza.jpg

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
As I'm still unable to get my hands on some black Contrast to finish the undead/necromancer BB team, I've decided to tackle one of the gazillions 40k units I have pending. Still a lot of work to do (clean some of those black outlines, all the cables, pedals and shit attached to the armour, details everywhere, highlight the non-white parts, my usual weathering...), but at the same time I'm trying to instruct myself on overlooking certain mistakes that would be totally/almost invisible at tabletop distance. It's hard as fuck, tho, my brain keeps rebelling to that idea.

Also, fuck outlining white panels with black, it's one of the things that frustrates me the most. I really need to find some kind of hack for that.

1GYs9kf.jpg

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
For panel lining I take care of it in the wash stage. I go:

Basecoat
Wash
Basecoat
Layer
Highlight

It requires a good bit of brush control to not undo the wash after the initial Basecoat and it can be a little slow for me. Back in the day people also suggested super fine tip markers, but for me they dry way too fast to be able to quickly fix errors.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
My problem with that method, which usually would be *the* way to go, is I just refuse to paint "white" without an airbrush when it's the main colour. I still have nightmares from when I still didn't have an airbrush and tried to paint some White Scars figures. Won't happen again :P

With my current method (outlining wherever it's needed with black ink and patience) I usually only need to clean with some "white" here and there, but both the outlining and the cleaning gets on my nerves. The former due how long it takes (for what it is) and each time I fuck it up, something dies inside me no matter how big it's the mistake. The latter, as it's really hard to get a proper tone to fix certain areas, as I try to do the base colour on a zenital way.

The super fine tip markers are great for certain things (like outlining tribal/squad marks, for instance), but on my experiences they aren't that good when it comes to the recesses between panels and underlining parts of the armour. At least on Space Marines size miniatures, and with the markers I've tried. I really need to get my hands in one of those Gundam pens.

Last edited:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Kharnete You mentioned you have black ink, I've found that a semi-diluted black ink makes for a very good substitute for the black contrast paint. At the very least, my black vallejo ink is very similar.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Diluted ink is a great idea. Unless I want really heavy weathering, I much prefer using diluted ink for painting directly into recesses as opposed to all over washes.

I've made tons of progress on this guy in the course of a single day. I think it's ready for a wash too at this point. Well except that I need to paint the payload (forest green bombs and white missiles) and and additional pass on the Celestra Grey underneath.

Oddly enough the decal sheets didn't come with a single plain Aquila. I'd like to put one on the stripe behind the wings. I may pencil one in and trace it in red.

c721yhK.jpg

PAjnydS.jpg

Can't wait to get started on the Marauders. They are twice the size and are bristling with weapons, especially the Destroyer.

Oct 27, 2017
The first Space Wolf I've painted in 20 years. I used to play the Wolfs back when I played 40k.

Also tried my hand on some NMM on the combat knife.

U69i6O8.jpg

When it comes to panel lines I've taken to a technique I figured out for the green glowing recesses in Necron rifles.

Dilute the paint with enough water to make it a wash, then dripping it in with a fine tip brush so that it fills the channel on its own due to physics, and levels off at the edges. It may take 2 or 3 applications to get the desired opacity. But when done well I generally don't have to do any clean-up past the edge of the recessed channel.

It also tends to naturally create a gradient towards the top of the channel, as the wash runs down the sides to pool at the bottom.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
At the end I decided to give a try to a different fine tip marker, and oh my, what a diference with the one I had.

1XMr4eF.png

The one in the left is the one I posted above, with the panel lines made with ink and brush. The other two, with the pen on a fraction of the time and half the fuck ups to clean.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Finished my wights from the Lord of the Rings game. Following the awesome videos from Sarastro, I decided to try the glowing skull OSL effect and weathering. My weathering turned out a little bright, but the verdigris looks cool and the glowing skulls are cool. Troll is up next.

ILrTDma.jpg

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
At the end I decided to give a try to a different fine tip marker, and oh my, what a diference with the one I had.

The one in the left is the one I posted above, with the panel lines made with ink and brush. The other two, with the pen on a fraction of the time and half the fuck ups to clean.

Looks great! I think pens are under used for panel lining in miniatures. They are one of the gold standards in making mechs, specifically Gundams, for a reason. Glad to see it works so well to get your Marines looking extra crispy!

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
The Descent collection is growing... I'd eventually like to collect at least all Heroes and Monsters addons, as they bring more choice and variety into the campaigns. They're also just a cool collection of fantasy themed minis.

Visions of Dawn nearly ready for painting:
img_20190907_171442__8lj19.jpg

Guardians of Deephall
img_20190914_121734__01j9y.jpg

Stewards of Secret
img_20190914_124241__nlkgq.jpg

They're not all created equally though. Apart from a general change in modeling style towards more cartoonish (and closer to the artwork), the sculpts of later addons are much, much better executed.

I'll also have to think about reducing time for individual models. The heroes sculpts I'm not that fond of and the less standout monster sculpts will be likely candidates for some time saving... Then again, I find the trolls, ogres, blood apes and nagas all awesome and they're the large minis. 😝

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have everything available for the original Descent and all the boxed releases for 2.0. The crossover set with 1.0 is a godsend. When FF released the lieutenants and monsters for 2.0 separate, it totally pissed me off. What a blatant cash grab. It felt like micro transactions for board games and grossed me out. Most all that stuff was included with 1.0 so selling it all separately was super gross to me. Especially when I would open a $40 expansion box and there would only be like, 10 minis in the there. It was obvious stuff was left out on purpose to sell separately (especially lieutenants). I refused to back that business model. They've gone on to use it for their Star Wars games and many other releases too.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I have everything available for the original Descent and all the boxed releases for 2.0. The crossover set with 1.0 is a godsend. When FF released the lieutenants and monsters for 2.0 separate, it totally pissed me off. What a blatant cash grab. It felt like micro transactions for board games and grossed me out. Most all that stuff was included with 1.0 so selling it all separately was super gross to me. Especially when I would open a $40 expansion box and there would only be like, 10 minis in the there. It was obvious stuff was left out on purpose to sell separately (especially lieutenants). I refused to back that business model. They've gone on to use it for their Star Wars games and many other releases too.
That's one aspect. Another aspect is that the quality and execution of most sculpts from the H&M addons visually completely and utterly trounces everything from 1st edition. Having looked through the 1st edition base game minis from a friend recently, they're not even in the same ballpark anymore, especially the later H&M ones. The entry price for the 2nd edition base game was also lowered and its size thankfully reduced due to including less of an army of super low quality plastic, while the play value compared to 1st edition was increased by including a decent campaign system instead. But I'm with you on the lieutenants - selling character minis as addons to replace cardboard tokens from the game for around the price of the complete box stings. Then again, if that helped them push the price of the boxed content down, it's a win for probably the majority of customers who're not hell bend on having every character as plastic miniature. You'll only maybe see them in one or two scenarios of the campaign anyway. A pack including all lieutenant addons for the base game or the big box expansion for ~25€ and less forced attempt to up sell these situational character minis as self contained addons would've been much preferred however. But personally, even if I had the option to get the 1st edition and conversion kit cheaply now, I'd rather collect the H&M addons. I'm too mini focused and all 1st edition plastic has been made obsolete for me by much better sculpts being available. Still nice to have the option to reuse practically all 1st edition content minis without shelling out for the later released H&M packs. Updated rules from the monster/hero cards of the H&M can just be printed out, since all the details are available in the Descent wiki.

Idk. about the pricing of the Heroes and Monster packs everywhere else, but here you can get them all for 25€-30€ per pack. That's not cheap for game minis and there are nine of these addons to collect (none are necessary for the game), but it's by no means expensive either. Very comparable to buying a bunch of minis from the Reaper Bones range (at ~3€ / mini and 10 larger and smaller minis on the very low end you're also at ~30€ buying Reaper bones). It may just be too expensive to justify for people who're looking to add playable content rather than being mini enthusiasts. They are better off buying the boxed addons. Which, even without the H&M mini range, offer plenty of content as it is and imo hit a rather affordable sweet spot of game content and decent enough minis. We're not talking about Games Workshop here after all. 😅

Last edited:

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I've become obsessed with looking at Armies on Parade entries.
That really appeals to me, making a diorama with a unique/themed army, and my mind is bristling with ideas.
If only I had the time and space to actually do it!

Oct 27, 2017
The work on Roboute Guilliman continues.

tpX57sL.jpg

I have some new lamps coming, and I bought a led bulb that manages 6500k. Can't wait for them to get here since the lamp I use now is really not suited for painting minis.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
The work on Roboute Guilliman continues.

tpX57sL.jpg

I have some new lamps coming, and I bought a led bulb that manages 6500k. Can't wait for them to get here since the lamp I use now is really not suited for painting minis.

Nice work with the NMM.

I use a 5000k bulb because it's the more closest to the sun's light colour, 6500k seems to look too blue for me. Try to combine them in order to get the better light.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice work with the NMM.

I use a 5000k bulb because it's the more closest to the sun's light colour, 6500k seems to look too blue for me. Try to combine them in order to get the better light.

Thank you! 😁

The overhead lamp is going to be 6500k, and the bulb is a "smart bulb" so I can change the color temperature 😁. Will try 5000k, thanks for the tip!

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's important to match the color temperature of the sun of whatever system your Space Marines are in according to the lore. (This has probably been said by somebody somewhere).

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

Since restarting mini painting this year, I got two Philips 12.5W (~100W equivalent, 1521 lumen) 6500k LED light bulps in two desk lamps.

These. Things. ARE. FUCKING. GREAT.

You don't realize how much strain it is on the eyes to paint with less optimal lightning and how much your color perception is off if you paint with bloody incandescent light bulps, until you've painted using those cold/neutral white LEDs. Even worse, ten years ago when I was at a friend's painting Warhammer minis, they barely had anything but a ceiling light. Two very bright, very color neutral desk lights right on your mini make a world of difference. Not to your painting abilities, but to your painting comfort. Still, actually SEEING what you're doing is a definite advantage in mini painting.

The photos of the Descent H&M addons above were taking using my mobile phone and with those two desk lamps.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Since restarting mini painting this year, I got two Philips 12.5W (~100W equivalent, 1521 lumen) 6500k LED light bulps in two desk lamps.

These. Things. ARE. FUCKING. GREAT.

You don't realize how much strain it is on the eyes to paint with less optimal lightning and how much your color perception is off if you paint with bloody incandescent light bulps, until you've painted using those cold/neutral white LEDs. Even worse, ten years ago when I was at a friend's painting Warhammer minis, they barely had anything but a ceiling light. Two very bright, very color neutral desk lights right on your mini make a world of difference. Not to your painting abilities, but to your painting comfort. Still, actually SEEING what you're doing is a definite advantage in mini painting.

The photos of the Descent H&M addons above were taking using my mobile phone and with those two desk lamps.

That sounds great. I can't wait to get rid of my desktop lamp from Ikea, the light is a really warm yellow, I lean in and my big head shades the mini haha. And it's not good for my eyes.

Back when I started, when I was much younger we always painted under the lights in the roof. How innocent we were haha 😁

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds great. I can't wait to get rid of my desktop lamp from Ikea, the light is a really warm yellow, I lean in and my big head shades the mini haha. And it's not good for my eyes.

Back when I started, when I was much younger we always painted under the lights in the roof. How innocent we were haha 😁
So you have a lamp with build in LEDs? The second Lamp I bought even is an Ikea lamp. 😝 But it's got an exchangable standard E27 light bulp, which is great.

Edit: "ARÖD". Not too expensive, nicely adjustable, exchangeable light bulp and therefore reusable for multiple purposes.

ARÖD said:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So you have a lamp with build in LEDs? The second Lamp I bought even is an Ikea lamp. 😝 But it's got an exchangable standard E27 light bulp, which is great.

Yeah, it's like a round lamp with a strip of LED in it. It's not very ajustable or tall. And I'm 6'2" so I have to lean to get the mini under the light haha. And I sit at the kitchen table when I paint haha, we're moving in to our house next year so I have to suffer for a couple of months more. But my SO promised me a hobby room so I can build something really nice then haha. Luckily she paints as well (not minis) so it was easier to convince her haha.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Finecast being finecast, I decided to order some Thunderfire Cannons from Kromlech, along with conversion bits for the Techmarine. I think it worked out pretty well.

WPj5JVc.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to because my personal account is an odd mix of stuff and there isn't much overlap. Share it here and I'll gladly follow, I'd definitely be excited to see more of your killer NMM.

I feel the same, it would seem weird with all the personal stuff and minis haha.

Aww thanks, will post it here later, just need a good name haha.

I got another account so if anyone wants to follow me it's here.

Last edited:

STech

Sep 24, 2018

Another miniature for my blood bowl team. This is a black orc, but I thought it looks a lot cooler painted with light colours and makes it contrast more.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Nice minis STech! Are these old GW metal models?

Also managed to finish one Descent hero today. It's at least good for playing, but I'm struggling with poorly defined details on these models.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Nice minis STech! Are these old GW metal models?

Also managed to finish one Descent hero today. It's at least good for playing, but I'm struggling with poorly defined details on these models.

Yeah, I'm running into the same thing with the heroes in Lord of the Rings. Part of it is I'm still not very good, but a lot of these Fantasy Flight board game minis just don't have a lot of detail and I don't have the skill to paint-fix the sculpts.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm running into the same thing with the heroes in Lord of the Rings. Part of it is I'm still not very good, but a lot of these Fantasy Flight board game minis just don't have a lot of detail and I don't have the skill to paint-fix the sculpts.

JiME? If so, surprised to hear this about JiME. It's one of their newer games, isn't? The Later Heroes and Monster addons minis from Descent are a very far cry from the original and earlier addon minis at least. And while I don't liek the cartoony character style of JiME minis for the source material, they seemed ok on photos and in Sorastros's painting videos?

Slight face improvements:

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I've now primed my Tesseract Vault.

Gotta finish painting it by Oct 10 help HELP!!!!!

I need to learn airbrush precision I think so i can get nice glow lines...

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
JiME? If so, surprised to hear this about JiME. It's one of their newer games, isn't? The Later Heroes and Monster addons minis from Descent are a very far cry from the original and earlier addon minis at least. And while I don't liek the cartoony character style of JiME minis for the source material, they seemed ok on photos and in Sorastros's painting videos?

Slight face improvements:

They're ok sculpts. Some better than others. They just lack the details of some of the higher quality wargaming minis which has made it harder for me to find highlight points.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's a common mistake to not shade enough and focus only in the highlights, plus the photos tend to brighten the mini...

Keep up the clean painting. This is very important!

Yeah I didn't shade it enough and the photo removed almost all the shading I did, just as you say haha. And to be honest the photo doesn't really do it justice since I increased the light when I took the photo.

The "blends" and shading are a bit more obvious here perhaps.

r8nbzsc.jpg

But on to the next with, will shade more this time.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up my LotR: Journeys in Middle Earth minis (haven't painted the characters we aren't using or the first "boss" expansion yet). I didn't wait long enough for the varnish to dry when I took the pictures so they're still a little wet/glossy compared to their matte finish now. Considering these were the first miniatures I've ever done, I'm pretty happy with them. The Sorastro videos were a major help, but damn does he paint fast. I might pick up a wet palette since my colors kept drying out before I could make it to the highlight step.

I'll only post a few pictures of minis I didn't already post here but you can check out the rest of the album if you care to.

HAke71u.jpg

AaA61O8.jpg

jgCMTNI.jpg

EBtYI2l.jpg

3mCImhD.jpg

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, better this time.
I'm really bad with the photos too, minis would look a lot better if I know how to solve this things... hehehe

Oct 27, 2017
I might pick up a wet palette since my colors kept drying out before I could make it to the highlight step.

I use a Redgrass Games wet pallete and man, it's a life saver. It's quite easy to do your own, just look on youtube. There are loads of videos, try to make your own and see if you like it before buying one :).

Yeah, better this time.
I'm really bad with the photos too, minis would look a lot better if I know how to solve this things... hehehe

I hate taking pictures haha, it's either to dark or too bright haha.