• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Tested out contrast paint for the first time a gloss varnish. I had zenithal prime (very little black mainly white and grey) and applied a couple of coats of gloss vanish.

I mixed a little bit of contrast medium into Black Templar.

The gloss varnish seems to make such a difference. No pooling on flat surfaces. When applying the paint you can see it react with the glossy surface and spread out towards the recesses.

Strongly recommend using a varnish before applying contrast.

I've tried to capture it on my phone. It looks better in person.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, LTWheels . I'll have to try that out. I've been using the contrast paints quite a bit. Also, Hjod how do you like the Redgrass wet palette? Have you used other ones before? I have the Masterson's Sta-Wet and have thought about "upgrading" to Redgrass, but the price difference is huge and I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it. If you've used other wet palettes before, what makes the Redgrass one better?

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, LTWheels . I'll have to try that out. I've been using the contrast paints quite a bit. Also, Hjod how do you like the Redgrass wet palette? Have you used other ones before? I have the Masterson's Sta-Wet and have thought about "upgrading" to Redgrass, but the price difference is huge and I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it. If you've used other wet palettes before, what makes the Redgrass one better?

I never used another wet palette other then those I made myself, so I can't really compare it to anything else. Sorry. But I do like it, I have the XL variant and I love the ammount of space to use.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017

The gloss doesn't help one of the biggest issues with contrast is that if you miss a spot and have to go back over it, it doesn't look great.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Woah I didn't know there was a thread for mini painting here! I don't play Warhammer, but I run a lot of DnD! Hope y'all don't mind some of the monsters I've painted in this Imperium.
EGXM2-iWoAEFZmp

D7BDF2cXYAIz8pC

D3vVnO5U0AAWzYX

Ds-6sClW0AAXVBn

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Don't mind at all! This thread is basically everything but 40k but also some 40k.

Good looking minis too. Is the second one a Terrasque? Been a while since I've flipped through the Monster Manual.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
ProfRenegade woah, I like the colors on that Beholder! Looks really cool. Also, most of what I post and paint here is D&D minis (or minis I've picked up to be used for D&D, even if they are originally for some other game), some people post exclusively board game minis, some post war gaming minis. I just packed up some recently painted minis for my D&D session today, but when I get home I'll have to remember to take some pictures and post em here.

Also, I did not notice that this thread is actually meant to discuss miniature games in general, haha. I always thought it was just a painting thread! I guess I just looked at the title now?

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ProfRenegade woah, I like the colors on that Beholder! Looks really cool. Also, most of what I post and paint here is D&D minis (or minis I've picked up to be used for D&D, even if they are originally for some other game), some people post exclusively board game minis, some post war gaming minis.

Thanks! I wanted to do something weird and different like a Halloween/pumpkin colour scheme, as opposed to something bland like what's on the cover of the Monster Manual or the Xanathar.
Glad to see another DnD person in here though. I don't really know much about Warhammer aside from TTS.

Griselbrand It's actually a Bulette! There's no official Bulette DnD mini (that I'm aware of anyway), so I took a Reaper Bones Burrowing Horror and just used the Bulette's colour scheme from the Monster Manual.

Last edited:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I wanted to do something weird and different like a Halloween/pumpkin colour scheme, as opposed to something bland like what's on the cover of the Monster Manual or the Xanathar.
Glad to see another DnD person in here though. I don't really know much about Warhammer aside from TTS.

Griselbrand It's actually a Bulette! There's no official Bulette DnD mini (that I'm aware of anyway), so I took a Reaper Bones Burrowing Horror and just used the Bulette's colour scheme from the Monster Manual.

An official Bulette mini just came out, actually. Part of the Nolzur's line, it's pretty cool because it's flying out of the ground!

wzk73713_1.jpg

I still like the Reaper Bulette, though. Reaper has a lot of good minis. Anyone backing their new Kickstarter?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
How many Kickstarters are they up to now, six? I'm sure once I start playing more tabletop RPG I'm going to regret missing out on tons of minis for battles.

New purchases, these Horus Heresy books make big impressions in my book case.

Pdqp5yi.jpg

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Two more Descent heroines:

Since we're currently playing the base game's all female hero cast in the shadow rune campaign, those two complete the current player group's characters. Finally we have painted characters to play with! 😄

Edit: Blatantly staged, but we need to really continue the campaign. Didn't manage to arrange a round in the last two months.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Cool!
And nice work on the bases

Thank you, I'm really pleased with the bases. Not so pleased with everything else haha. I need to cool it and get good at the basics before going off and trying all the fancy techniques there are there. My edge highlighting and I need to get a lot better at thinning my paints haha.

Nice work! I have to echo the comment on the bases, they're great, unique yet clearly being the same biome.

Also I thought I was following you already on IG, it is done now.

Thanks 😁. I did the bases with another project in mind, I'm going to do some sort of base where I can store this Kill Team so that base will have the same sort of biome and magnitized slots so I can transport them and display them.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Thank you, I'm really pleased with the bases. Not so pleased with everything else haha. I need to cool it and get good at the basics before going off and trying all the fancy techniques there are there. My edge highlighting and I need to get a lot better at thinning my paints haha.

That's it, first improve the basics with the lighting and shadowing, and above everything, how to use the paints (different paint techniques).

But this is going pretty well 👍👍

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the dp but I need your help. I'm not sold on the paint scheme of this mini, I don't like the pants being khaki, so I'm thinking of painting the pants and shirt black instead. Or do anyone have any good suggestions? 😁

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Second from the right and the armored Gor are my favorite of the set. I get the criticisms of them looking a little generic but I still think they're good sculpts.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with dark brown personally. Too much blue next to the blue glow might take away from the effect.

Not a bad idea either, I went with dark grey blue, I'll post it when it's based and done. Thanks for the suggestions :).

The new Necromunda terrain would be perfect for Kill Team lol. But I have so much terrain to paint since I bought some containers, barrels and stuff so I have my work cut out for me.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that Zone Mortalis terrain will be sold separately at some point. Would indeed make a perfect KT table.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I've been painting Zombicide: Invader / Dark Side stuff recently.
I'm still pretty amateur, and was also trying to get a LOT of stuff painted as quickly as possible because I wanted to start playing it, so I dont think I spent more than 2 hours on a single figure, which is why they look like they do.
Also my excuse for the bases being as low-effort as they are is that you snap coloured rings onto them so you know which one they are. This scratches off the paint quite quickly. I've already had to re-touch Green Team once, after 9 or 10 games.

Anyway:

The main heroes from Invader. Painted with a mix of Contrast paints and normal paints. The free-hand flags were a bit beyond my skill level, hence why they look a bit crap.
pic5041129.jpg

Green Team, from Dark Side. Painted with mostly regular paints.
pic5041126.jpg

The Orphans Gang. Painted mostly with Contrast paints and a heavy Nulin Oil dump to get the black lines. I really like how these turned out. They are probably the best of the 3 sets.
pic5041127.jpg

Last edited:

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
This Infinity Defiance Kickstarter is making me reconsider my need for food this month. Damn, these look good
Yea, I just saw that go up too.
Dungeon Crawler games with cool minis populate Kickstarter by the dozens though, and I'm not sure what makes this one so special. I'll have to give the rules a read when I have some time, and try to figure out if it's something that would actually hit the table, or just sit on a shelf forever (as these sorts of games often do).

My Street Masters: Aftershock pledge got delivered a few days ago. That's gonna keep me busy painting for a good while.

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I just saw that go up too.
Dungeon Crawler games with cool minis populate Kickstarter by the dozens though, and I'm not sure what makes this one so special. I'll have to give the rules a read when I have some time, and try to figure out if it's something that would actually hit the table, or just sit on a shelf forever (as these sorts of games often do).

My Street Masters: Aftershock pledge got delivered a few days ago. That's gonna keep me busy painting for a good while.

I think it is just grabbing me because I love the aesthetic of Infinity, but I haven't had the time to get into the Skirmish game. The models are playable in the regular game, which is a plus. I suppose I should find out what really makes it different from a game like Imperial Assault.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Do y'all have recommendations for good dungeon crawl miniature games? I'm into Infinity but as a dungeon crawler it doesn't interest me much. I'm mainly looking for a game with a solid ruleset because I want an excuse to build some modular dungeon tiles. I don't have any particular specifics in mind except that I'd like it to be in the fantasy genre.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Griselbrand I haven't actually played it myself, but I think Gloomhaven is the big dungeon crawl game right now. Don't think it actually comes with too many miniatures, though. You could look at the Warhammer Silvertower game, or the 40k dungeon crawl (I think it's called Dark Fortress?). Those will certainly come with many miniatures, and of good quality. Zombicide Black Plague/Green Horde is pretty fun, but it's also a pretty light dungeon crawl. Descent 2nd edition I've never played, but if it's like Imperial Assault it should be pretty fun.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I'll look into Gloomhaven, thanks Boat Times

I should have mentioned it at first but I'm OK with miniature agnostic games. Silver Tower doesn't interest me much and I'm actually trying to get rid of my copy of Blackstone Fortress. Descent is something I'm going to check out too.

Mainly I just want to build some dungeon tiles but I wanted a rule system to go with them. I've been in a terrain building mood lately:

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I'll look into Gloomhaven, thanks Boat Times

I should have mentioned it at first but I'm OK with miniature agnostic games. Silver Tower doesn't interest me much and I'm actually trying to get rid of my copy of Blackstone Fortress. Descent is something I'm going to check out too.

Mainly I just want to build some dungeon tiles but I wanted a rule system to go with them. I've been in a terrain building mood lately:

Wow, really awesome.

Which material is the red one?
And how big is your house to keep this?, I mean, I'm having ser problems to find space for just the miniatures...

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
STech they're both insulation foam boards, the white one is the cheap stuff and the pink is the slightly more expensive but still cheap material. I needed more height which is why they're stacked and glued this way. I use the pink board when I want really precise cuts that I can do with a sharp knife but this was all cut using my hot wire table cutter.

I have a small apartment, about 700 square feet. I actually don't know where I'm going to store it but it'll probably go in my bedroom closet since I have some room in there still. That space between the kitchen and the living room has just enough room for a 6' x 4' table.

I don't have any room to display my minis except for one display case. It's all mainly in boxes or in my painting area.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
Do y'all have recommendations for good dungeon crawl miniature games? I'm into Infinity but as a dungeon crawler it doesn't interest me much. I'm mainly looking for a game with a solid ruleset because I want an excuse to build some modular dungeon tiles. I don't have any particular specifics in mind except that I'd like it to be in the fantasy genre.
There are some great co-op dnd board games. Wrath of Ashardalon is one of them. And castle ravenloft. I love em

STech

Sep 24, 2018
STech they're both insulation foam boards, the white one is the cheap stuff and the pink is the slightly more expensive but still cheap material. I needed more height which is why they're stacked and glued this way. I use the pink board when I want really precise cuts that I can do with a sharp knife but this was all cut using my hot wire table cutter.

I have a small apartment, about 700 square feet. I actually don't know where I'm going to store it but it'll probably go in my bedroom closet since I have some room in there still. That space between the kitchen and the living room has just enough room for a 6' x 4' table.

I don't have any room to display my minis except for one display case. It's all mainly in boxes or in my painting area.

I don't have any idea how imperial system works but, based in an internet conversion, 700 square feet is like >200 m2.
Small apartment?. This would be huge for Europe.

I guess I know what is the pink board.

Please, more pics as the projec goes on.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
My Descent painting backlog has officially passed an unhealthy size. 😂

Shadows of Nerekhall
img_20191102_170447_16qkxo.jpg

Manor of Ravens
img_20191110_095518_1f9jj8.jpg

Mists of Bilehall and Chains that Rust
img_20191110_100231_1gzk3t.jpg

Oath of the Outcast
img_20191102_171154_1h6kq1.jpg

Crown of Destiny
img_20191102_171649_1hyj4j.jpg

Crusade of the Forgotten
img_20191102_120424_140jog.jpg

Gardians of Deephall
img_20190914_121734__dwknc.jpg

Visions of Dawn
img_20190907_171442__7hj7v.jpg

Bonds of the Wild
img_20191102_173547_1yvkl8.jpg

Treaty of Champions
img_20191102_173118_11akhy.jpg

Stewards of Secret
img_20190914_124241__smjec.jpg

Shards of Everdark
img_20191102_173948_17dkci.jpg

Lieutenants: Skarn (Manor of Ravens), Valyndra (Lair of the Wyrm) and Bol'Goreth (Trollfens)
img_20191102_174504_1zokh4.jpg

Shadows of Nerekhall lieutenants: Tristayne Olliven, Rylan Olliven, Gargan Mirklace and Verminous
img_20191102_171843_13zkut.jpg

Mists of Bilehall and The Chains that Rust lieutenants: Kyndrithul, Zarihell and Ardus Ix'Erebus
img_20191102_172121_1nwkd4.jpg

Labyrinth of Ruin lieuteneants: Serena (hero/lieutenant), Ariad, Queen Ariad, Raythen (lieutenant/hero)
img_20191110_094309_1n9j11.jpg

But there's a bunch of great minis in there and once they're painted *cough* the set will look terrific.

Last edited: