• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I have a bunch of Underworlds warbands to paint, but it's been so crappy outside that I haven't been able to get them primed.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
New stuff for Warcry and AoS!

BloodandGlory-Nov02-Agroid8sdfed.jpg

BloodandGlory-Nov02-Spirhinx2wsd.jpg

BloodandGlory-Nov02-Warriors3sdg.jpg

BloodandGlory-Nov02-Knights9sdcvx.jpg

BloodandGlory-Nov02-Lord9sfde.jpg

BloodandGlory-Nov02-BattleTome3sfxc.jpg

Last edited:

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
God, I love Age of Sigmar minis. I wish there were people in the area that actually played.

Where do y'all go online to get your miniatures? Any favorite places to pick up used models? So far reddit's miniswap is the best I've found. Batertown feels a bit overwhelming, but I don't know that this is a fair assessment.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Lazy Sunday, painted up the Untamed Beast leader. Skin, bone and metals are normal paints. Everything else is contrast. Contrast is great for the little non main details. Especially for leather.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Making a start on Street Masters: Aftershock (which includes everything from the base game too). It's gonna be a lot to get through, so as usual for me every piece will be done fairly quickly.
Project X was the first one that really called to me to be painted first.
pic5041125.jpg

Edit: I think I've fixed the image now, thanks Boat Times for pointing that out.

Last edited:

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Slaves to darkenss will totally be my next AoS army. Goes well with my stormcast and I bet I will be able to use some of my Khorne stuff I have already.

Oct 27, 2017
It is a very fun game! I play all the GW stuff, but when I get a big table most of the time its AOS. Kill Team happens at home more, then Warcry.

They've just opened a hobby store in my town amd they were going to play some GW games there so I might join in, since I only have one friend to play Kill Team with me haha. So hopefully there will be some games at the store.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
They've just opened a hobby store in my town amd they were going to play some GW games there so I might join in, since I only have one friend to play Kill Team with me haha. So hopefully there will be some games at the store.
If you can find a non-competitive AOS player with a good attitude prepare for a great time. The game is a little less rulesy than 40k (or Killteam really,) and I find that it creates really fun moments. Also without the tons and tons of shooting in 40k, you generally get to move around and slug it out. If you can find someone to play a meeting engagement those are very fun, as they combine some of the troop splitting and late deployment from Warcry into a small fast playing AOS game. Had a great time last time I played one.

Oct 27, 2017
If you can find a non-competitive AOS player with a good attitude prepare for a great time. The game is a little less rulesy than 40k (or Killteam really,) and I find that it creates really fun moments. Also without the tons and tons of shooting in 40k, you generally get to move around and slug it out. If you can find someone to play a meeting engagement those are very fun, as they combine some of the troop splitting and late deployment from Warcry into a small fast playing AOS game. Had a great time last time I played one.

Sounds really fun, Kill Team is fun but as ypu say it's very very heavy on the rules.

Hopefully they get a good community going there and I can join in 😁.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
toy_brain There ya go, images are showing up now. Nice job!

As for GW games, I really wanna get into AoS but I don't think I've got the money for it. Plus my local hobby place plays on Monday nights and I work those so couldn't meet up there anyhow. I also have Shadespire and Warcry and would like to play those (I occasionally play Shadespire with some friends, but I've never played Warcry despite owning the starter box.)

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I'm continuing to work through my Street Masters figures. Its going to take a while.
Each figure takes roughly half an hour to contrast-paint, then a few more minutes to add some base texture, paint the base, inkwash it and do any dry-brushing thats needed. Most of the 6 figures I've done so far have taken just under an hour.

Here is the current progress. A couple of them are obviously still being worked on.

I quite like that I can knock a serviceable figure out in under an hour. It means it's something I can fit in most evenings, and hopefully get a few cranked out this weekend.
pic5048364.jpg

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Been awhile since I've actually posted something that I've painted in here. I have been painting, just for whatever reason keep forgetting to take pictures and then I bring em to a buddies house and they tend to get left there since that's where I do most of my gaming. Anyway, here's Gorm from Kingdom Death:

(Hopefully that works, haven't posted Instagram here before) Gorm was pretty quick, I actually used Plaguebearer Flesh contrast paint via an airbrush to get his base coat down. Came out a really nasty looking dirty green color, which works perfectly for Gorm since in game it is a disgusting baby monster thing that constantly pukes on you.

And here is the Phoenix, also from Kingdom Death:

This guy took a lot more work. Several layers of different purples and blues, and then highlighted with some very light pinks for all the feathers. His skin tone I actually used a really fun new (for me) skin color from Reaper paints- Olive skin. The mini is so big it was hard taking pictures of him, so I don't really think those pics do it justice but they were the best I could get. He was also horrible to actually put together, I think it took me two and a half hours? Most of those little hands had to be glued onto specific parts of him individually. It was a nightmare. I probably could have put more work into the little hands, but this guy was on my desk for so long I just had to stop at some point and I called it there. I do wanna go back to his base (and Gorms) and touch them up, thinking something with realistic water effects that I haven't done before.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'll never be anything close to a pro painter. It's been a struggle to even finish a fig because I'll stop halfway when I think it looks like crap or I think I have a better idea. So I'm telling myself that I'm gonna paint Doom 2016, and I'm not gonna touch any other set of figs until I finish Doom. Nothing fancy tenchique-wise, just focusing on clean lines and bold colors.

Imp

Possessed Soldier

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Hot damn, some really great stuff on this page. I definitely want to know more about that Street Masters game.

Doober that's some fine work. I know precisely what you mean about working on a model and then stopping halfway. But I've learned over the years, and it's recently been confirmed to me by some amazing painters on YouTube, you often just gotta tough it out because sometimes a model will be unimpressive at first but really come together as more paint is applied.

This is my latest WIP. And in true tradition to my own painting habits I've instead started painting a Carnosaur instead of finishing this guy.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
WIP on the master Ettin.

img_20191112_004113-jsjwi.jpeg

The realization is very cliché, but AFAIK there is no black character in the entirety of Descent's artwork. The Ettins are the best models in the base game to practice any kind of skin and just so happen to be these tribal kind of characters. Edit: first ever attempt to paint black skin. There are some groups of human(-like) characters in my Descent backlog and I'll try to vary the skin colors a bit more for these. For readability, I'll stick closely to the artwork color of unique characters like heroes.

Last edited:

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Doober, those figures look pretty damn good to me.

I sometimes think the internet can be as big a barrier as it is a help when it comes to this sort of thing, because you end up comparing yourself to everyone out there, and inevitably some of those people will be stupidly good.
It's important to remember that they are not your competition. Your competition is grey plastic. As long as your figure looks better than grey plastic (and yours sure do), then people will be grateful of the effort you put in when playing the game.

Well that's what I tell myself anyway, because I'm probably the lowest on the skill-rung out of everyone in this thread :p

Speaking of which, my Street Masters painting continues....
pic5052401.jpg

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I'll never be anything close to a pro painter. It's been a struggle to even finish a fig because I'll stop halfway when I think it looks like crap or I think I have a better idea. So I'm telling myself that I'm gonna paint Doom 2016, and I'm not gonna touch any other set of figs until I finish Doom. Nothing fancy tenchique-wise, just focusing on clean lines and bold colors.

Imp

Possessed Soldier

Those look great. I really like the flesh work you did on the soldier. Keep it up.

Where did you get the Doom figures? That seems like a nice change of pace.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Those look great. I really like the flesh work you did on the soldier. Keep it up.

Where did you get the Doom figures? That seems like a nice change of pace.

It's a board game that came out right around the time the new game did. The figs for it are top notch: lots of detail and clean molding.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently painting Starship Samurai boardgame and these models suck. I've been spoiled by the Lord of the Rings minis I've painted (which weren't even THAT amazing) and the GW Underworld figs.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

Intrigued what they're going to do with it. Rank and file system? More of a free-form "skirmish" system? AoS miniature scale? After they made such a big deal of killing the old background, they now make a big deal of bringing it back. I love many of GW's minis, but both tabletop war gaming in general and specifically GW's everlasting super war lore grew old on me. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Still, I'd hope they're not going back to a rank and file system. Minis at AoS' scale with round bases leave a lot more room for nice sculpts.

Both Ettins WIP. Second one is also starting to come along.

img_20191116_100044-ywjen.jpeg

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've recently been trying to get back into this. My problem from the beginning is learning to live with flaws and moving on to the next thing. As usual I've taken a picture and see the flaws but ... I gotta move on 😂

Last edited:

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently been trying to get back into this. My problem from the beginning is learning to live with flaws and moving on to the next thing. As usual I've taken a picture and see the flaws but ... I gotta move on 😂
This is true. Acknowledge the flaw but don't hang on it, go onto the next. Otherwise you lose momentum and stop. Just keep painting!

Also those Iron Golems look great!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those Golems look really cool! You're gonna be very critical of your own painting, at least I know I am. And all my friends are critical of their own. And depending on what you want out of painting minis, it's usually best to move on. But if you are just painting for the joy of painting and there is no worry about getting them to a game table, you can always go back and touch something up and take plenty of time with it.

Also Burny those Ettins are really cool looking! You do highlights so well, so smooth. I really like the skin tones on both of them.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Finished up a pinky demon from Doom 2016. So far I've just been basecoating and dipping these in Army Painter quickshade and they're turning out pretty well for mook figs. Just gotta knock the shine off of them with a matte varnish.

20191116-191952.jpg

20191116-192054.jpg

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Bought my first resin minis (some Nurgle preacher type guys) and I've been building them and cleaning them up.
There's some thin resin between some piping on the models, and I tried to remove it with my scalpel and broke one of the pipes off. Now I'm scared to attempt to remove the rest! Any tips on how to get rid of it safely?

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
If I ever do bother cleaning flash (I'm usually too lazy, but I sometimes do if its excessive or its a Raging Heroes mini that I specifically bought just to try and paint up well) I'll use a modelling knife, and its just a question of whether I use the sharp side to hack off really big or awkward bits of flash, or the blunt side to scrape excess plastic 'ridges' from more accessible areas.
I can't really offer any better advice than to make sure the blade you are using is really sharp, and to go very very slowly when cutting chunks off from hard-to-reach areas.
Oh, and I guess you could get yourself a set of small metal files. I bought a set of 6 Draper 140mm Needle Files for some super-specific stuff I was trying out a while back. Might work.

As for my painting progress. Street Masters has been put to one side for a bit, as its a massive project. I have a game called 'Theosis' that I've been meaning to get done. It has 12 human characters, 5 beasts and 2 really big pieces to paint. I rushed the beasts (I'm not a fan of painting nondescript monsters, so they look so garbage I'm not even going to post them), but spent a bit more time on the humans. There are 6 male and 6 female. I got all the blokes done first.
pic5061098.jpg

Also this arrived in the post. I really want to get started on it, but lord knows where its going to fit into my painting queue!
pic5061318.jpg

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
toy_brain That's interesting that you aren't fond of painting monsters. I find myself preferring painting monsters over human characters. My friend is the opposite for the most part, which is how we kind of split our Kingdom Death game. I paint most of the creatures and monsters, whereas he paints most of the survivors.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I was subscribed to Miniac for a long time but never actually sat down to watch his videos. He's very good, I've really enjoyed his content.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoy Miniac for his knowledge and technical discussion. Even if the vast majority of his content is waaaaay above my ability in terms of execution.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
The most recent tip that I took from one of his videos that has helped tremendously was about brush sizes. He says that you don't always need a tiny brush but what you could try instead is a big brush with a sharp point. I've switched to doing that and I've started to feel more confident with my highlights and feathering technique because there is a bigger reservoir of paint in the brush.

His series interviewing high level painters at Crystal Brush was very good too.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

Well, time for me to finally contribute to this thread. I got my dates wrong and I actually have 2 more weeks to go, so it's relieving.

I will start working on designing the base now. I want a staircase made of cork, maybe leading up to a pulpit, with the sister at the top, or something of a pedestal. I'll be doing it on a 60mm base so I have enough space to raise her enough for the pins to stick in the cork.

All in all it's the first time I try to paint nicely and I'm loving it, I just don't have enough time to work on her as much as I'd want. Also I didn't like the result much until I painted her helmet front plate. That really tied everything together well, I'm in love now.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm looking into getting a paint bottle holder. I have primarily drip bottles from Reaper and some Vallejo paints.

What do ya'll use or recommend?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I use the broken token modular paint racks. I like being able to see all of my colors at once and you can get citadel sized ones. I have a middle and angled for Vallejo and an angled one for my citadel shades.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
For a compact and easily storeable solution, I use these paint caddies. I've got three of them, as I've got hundreds of paints in dropper bottles.

Oh I have kind of like suit case thing for dropper bottles but I want something to be placed on the table.

I use the broken token modular paint racks. I like being able to see all of my colors at once and you can get citadel sized ones. I have a middle and angled for Vallejo and an angled one for my citadel shades.
Oh this works. I wonder if they have a bigger rack.