• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Thanks a lot! I'll definitely have to remove the weapon from the other mini though, since it's right in front of the chest (I managed with the black, but I won't be able to paint the gold details that way). I'm also a bit worried about the base, mostly because of the half raised feet. At worst it will look like some dust stuck to their boots ;)

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, painting the weapon separately (or any bits that would make the main body hard to reach) becomes a habit fairly quickly, you'll see. I didn't want to do it at first because "ain't nobody got time for that" but now I do it automatically. I guess the next step for me will be to take advantage of this and start magnetizing them, but that's neither here nor there. That model you posted looks very smooth, keep going!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Well, there they are:
00fOdmZ.jpg

I think they came out pretty well, all things considered. There's a couple of spots I could go back and touch up a bit, but I'll probably leave them as is for now.

Truth to be told, they came out a lot better than I expected them to. The Gold detailing, while not easy, was probably the part I enjoyed the most, maybe because it felt a bit more "precise" than the other base paints. The base was also quite fun, the end result of that texture is pretty cool, especially with the shade.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's super smooth, man!

Update : I (co-)won Best Base at the competition.

I will likely go with another Sister of Battle for the summer edition, but one of the new ones this time. I'm also thinking of planning an Armies on Parade setup since the club will try to have an official one organised.

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
sackboy97 Nice job! Those are legit way better than my first minis! What are you planning on painting next?
Thanks! I have literally no idea. Thankfully a nearby comic book shop has quite a few options available, so I'll have a look and decide on what to get next. They also have Citadel paints, which is nice since I only have the six from the kit.
I should probably read some lore on the series, just out of curiosity.

Congrats Bombless!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'll definitely have a look, thanks for the link!

By the way, I was thinking of getting some kind of acrylic display case; what size would you guys is reasonable? I don't think I'll get any large unit or vehicle any time soon, so I mostly wanted to make sure that regular minis would fit (accounting for some being larger than others, some being raised and stuff like that).

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I could use some thoughts and advice regarding a paint scheme.

Is there a way to get milkish white skin that you can see through in places? I would like to put some wounds first and then the white.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I would paint the white skin, add the bruises, and then use a however many glazes of the same skin tone it takes over the bruising. You may want to check youtube for this though.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Not only my local comic book shop has a decent amount of kits/paints (as it's an official retailer), I have just discovered that there's an official Warhammer shop nearby. I'll have to visit soon.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I would paint the white skin, add the bruises, and then use a however many glazes of the same skin tone it takes over the bruising. You may want to check youtube for this though.
Thank you. I have been looking through YouTube but no luck so far.

I'm thinking that I will want to use a semi gloss finish in order to get a wet skin look.

My hill giants from Reaper will be arriving today. I'll snap pictures of the painting progress. Oh, the white isn't for the Reaper miniatures. Lol

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Not only my local comic book shop has a decent amount of kits/paints (as it's an official retailer), I have just discovered that there's an official Warhammer shop nearby. I'll have to visit soon.
Sorry for double post.

You're in for a treat. The first time I went to a Games Workshop store I was overwhelmed.

Careful of your wallet. It might cry from the purchases. Have fun though.

Dec 1, 2017
Looking to start getting into painting more miniatures for my different board games (currently assembling KDM minis). I've gone through the Reaper learn to paint kits, now looking to get some more paints and better brushes and whatever else I need. Do the Citadel layer, base, etc. kits have good ranges of colors, or does someone have a list of 30-40 colors that should be a solid start?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Looking to start getting into painting more miniatures for my different board games (currently assembling KDM minis). I've gone through the Reaper learn to paint kits, now looking to get some more paints and better brushes and whatever else I need. Do the Citadel layer, base, etc. kits have good ranges of colors, or does someone have a list of 30-40 colors that should be a solid start?

Paints are a bit subjective but most people tend to have a variety of paints from various different lines. A lot of people swear by the Vallejo and P3 paints. Army Painter brand is also well liked for certain tones. I get that you're really looking to get a single kit (at least to start) but if you've got the time and a decent hobby shop near by I'd say head on into the shop and hand pick various colors from various brands so you can get the feel for different types and start your set off with a good variety of tones.

it's also worth noting that the Citadel paint-pot style has had complaints about the paint drying out over time due to the way the tops work but I don't know if it's a really bad problem or a case of people's paint drying out over years.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I was wondering myself about the different brands of paints. Vallejo and Army Painter seem to be cheaper and we'll regarded, though I think I may stick with Citadel for the time being, as my local shop doesn't have other paints (since it's not an "hobby shop" per se).

On the same subject, do these hobby paints have anything specific that makes them different than regular "painting" paint? A while back I got some regular acrylics but I have had pretty awful results when using them with Gunpla (with no primer admittedly, but I also had no primer with the minis).

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
Pigment size and density is the main thing that's different. It'll make your life much easier if you stick with hobby paints, especially as you are starting out. Vallejo probably has the largest selection of colors across their range, and they are a solid paint in general. Army Painter is what I got a large number of, and I still haven't gotten down how to properly get them to mix. They are fine paints, I just find them runny. I'm pretty sure that is on me, though.

You can get by with a pretty small paint selection. Check out Midwinter Minis, as they do speed paints of lots of miniatures to a pretty solid standard using only 8 colors. Learning to mix your own colors early is probably a very good thing. I still have a silly anxiety about matching colors that probably wouldn't be there if I just started off mixing right off the bat.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Hobby paints have a smaller pigment size and are usually thinner, which makes them easier to work with for minis and achieves a better looking result with less effort. The only paint that isn't necessarily better by being a Hobby version would be rattle can primers but you're still best off researching the brands/styles first.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
If I had to choose, Vallejo is the most complete brand, has a good price and the bottle is not that hideous thing from Citadel.

Plus, the finish is more matt than others (with Model Colour).

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Scale 75 has a great range of colors and drys very matte. However they have a different consistency with the medium they use and so take some time getting used to from what I've read.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Thanks for all the info. I'll keep an eye out for a shop that sells Vallejo paints, so that I can try them out.

I have been looking for something to get next. The T'au Empire looks quite interesting; on the other hand, I was looking at other paint sets, either the Nighthaunt or the Stormcast Eternals (or both actually); I don't like the Deathguard that much so I'm excluding it for the moment.
One has the following colours:
  • Retributor Armour
  • Abaddon Black
  • Kantor Blue
  • Reikland Fleshshade
  • Rhinox Hide
  • Rakarth Flesh

While the other has:
  • Celestra Grey
  • Incubi Darkness
  • Leadbelcher
  • Rhinox Hide
  • Nighthaunt Gloom
  • Reikland Fleshshade

If I get only one of the two, I'd have at most a "double" Abaddon Black, which doesn't sound too bad, since it seems to be a nice base for nearly anything else. There would be a bit more overlap if I were to buy both.
Would you guys say that one or the other plus the ones I already have would make a decent "base" of colours? The alternative would be to choose some specific colours to get with the T'au.

The ones I own already are:
  • Agrax Earthshade
  • Armageddon Dust
  • Balthasar Gold
  • Macragge Blue
  • Abaddon Black
  • Bugman's Glow

I hope all my questions aren't too annoying!

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Because the second set has Leadbelcher, I'd say go with that one.

I've bought my paints one by one over the years so I don't buy sets anymore, but I have been looking at the Vallejo sets if I ever decide to start my collection all over.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Does putting a ball bearing in the Vallejo or Army painter bottles help with the mixing? I saw a set that comes with them from Army painter.

I've used airsoft gun pellets for the same thing. They're way cheaper but also not nearly as large or heavy so they might not be as good but I think they helped.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
sackboy97 may I suggest a different approach? Because those paint sets seldom have that good discounts anyway, you could just pick what you think you will need for your next project and not end up with duplicates.

Let's say you want to go with Tau. You probably want to start with colour A for the armour, colour B for the weapons and colour C for the skin. Now, you could also try painting highlights on your 2nd patch of minis, so pick two each. For example if you want red armour, pick a dark red and a lighter one for highlights. GW does this easy for us by labeling their paints "base" and "layer". Pick a "base" one for the main colour and "layer" one for highlights.

Also picking up one really light grey or "off-white" is a good tool to have. You can use it for mixing lighter variations of your paints.

Many hobbyists have their own favourite paints and they often come from various different makers. For example I adore GW reds. They make painting red, which is sometimes labeled as one of those "difficult" colours, fun and quite easy. Then again, my go-to white is Vallejo Model Air White Grey, which is magic white bliss in a tiny bottle (and while an airbrush paint, can be absolutely be used with a brush).

Food for thought.

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
sackboy97 may I suggest a different approach? Because those paint sets seldom have that good discounts anyway, you could just pick what you think you will need for your next project and not end up with duplicates.

Let's say you want to go with Tau. You probably want to start with colour A for the armour, colour B for the weapons and colour C for the skin. Now, you could also try painting highlights on your 2nd patch of minis, so pick two each. For example if you want red armour, pick a dark red and a lighter one for highlights. GW does this easy for us by labeling their paints "base" and "layer". Pick a "base" one for the main colour and "layer" one for highlights.

Also picking up one really light grey or "off-white" is a good tool to have. You can use it for mixing lighter variations of your paints.

Many hobbyists have their own favourite paints and they often come from various different makers. For example I adore GW reds. They make painting red, which is sometimes labeled as one of those "difficult" colours, fun and quite easy. Then again, my go-to white is Vallejo Model Air White Grey, which is magic white bliss in a tiny bottle (and while an airbrush paint, can be absolutely be used with a brush).

Food for thought.
Yeah, I did say that I could either get one of those or get a T'au set and some colours. One benefit of the paint sets is that they're a pretty good price, considering they come with 6 colours and 3 minis, but of course you can't choose.
I'll have to take a look at how to do highlighting, but it's definitely something I'd like to try, since the result is quite nice.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I did say that I could either get one of those or get a T'au set and some colours. One benefit of the paint sets is that they're a pretty good price, considering they come with 6 colours and 3 minis, but of course you can't choose.
I'll have to take a look at how to do highlighting, but it's definitely something I'd like to try, since the result is quite nice.

Oh, you are right. Those sets with the minis are not bad value honestly. I was running with dated information.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Oh, you are right. Those sets with the minis are not bad value honestly. I was running with dated information.
No problem. And really, I may end up getting a paint set now (since it's cheap) and a T'au set plus paints later on. Which will probably be next month, let's be honest, I won't be able to resist that long. Especially if I visit the Warhammer shop.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Those "Start Collecting" sets are great value, it seems. The T'au one contains a 60€ and 40€ kit, as well as an additional Ethereal, for 80€.

Also, is there an easy way to know the size of the various minis? Seeing the prices, I would imagine some are a bigger than others, but I'm not quite sure since there's no size (I can find) on the Games Workshop shop pages. Or maybe they're just more detailed and cost more because of that?

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Those "Start Collecting" sets are great value, it seems. The T'au one contains a 60€ and 40€ kit, as well as an additional Ethereal, for 80€.

Also, is there an easy way to know the size of the various minis? Seeing the prices, I would imagine some are a bigger than others, but I'm not quite sure since there's no size (I can find) on the Games Workshop shop pages. Or maybe they're just more detailed and cost more because of that?

Yeah, those can have some good deals in them.

The size is a tricky one to grasp from the marketing pictures online. If you see the boxes in physical form, they usually have pictures of the minis 1:1 for easy reference.

And for the pricing..well...there are some "rules" GW seems to follow:

- if it is big, it is more expensive
-if it is very detailed, it is more expensive
- if it is new, it is more expensive
- if a collector will most likely buy just one copy of the kit, it is more expensive

So an older kit of some basic infantry is on the cheaper side, whereas a new special named character with a scenic base is on the expensive side.

and so on...

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of different paint ranges. As has been said, they all work to varying degrees and are all good. I myself can't STAND Army Painter yet as you can see others easily recommended them in this thread. I'd suggest just going with whatever is easily available for you. My collection has several paints from many different brands and I'd have to say right now I prefer Reaper paints and Vallejo. But I still often go to my GW paints, I use my Scale 75 and Warcolours (a greek brand).

clockworkinyou As for a starting set, the only "set" I bought were the two Reaper Learn to Paint. And I think between the two they came with a nice base collection of paints, but they were missing like a purple and an orange. So just go out there and find some colors you are missing and buy em from whatever hobby store is selling them near you. If you don't have an actual local hobby/gaming store, I believe Hobby Lobby sells Vallejo paints which work very nicely.

sackboy97 If you have a Warhammer store near you, I'd really suggest going to them and asking these questions. The one "near" me (I say near because it's an hour away so I rarely go there) has very helpful and knowledgeable employees. They should be able to guide you towards which paints to get, help you decide which army you'd like most etc. Now keep in mind, they ARE going to try to sell you things. They'll try to upsell you overly expensive brushes and other tools that you probably don't need, and could most definitely get cheaper elsewhere. But their advice on their actual models and paints should be listened to. Also I believe their learn to paint kits are an OK value, but not quite as good as they seem at first because they come with mini pots of paint instead of full size ones. I could be wrong about this, though.

And hey, here's a Reaper miniature I painted recently! He had so many tiny eyes and teeth everywhere, it actually took me awhile to paint him because I'd keep getting hand cramps while trying to paint say all of his eyes at once, or all of his teeth. I'm thinking about making his body glossy to have a creepy disgusting wet look.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
sackboy97 If you have a Warhammer store near you, I'd really suggest going to them and asking these questions. The one "near" me (I say near because it's an hour away so I rarely go there) has very helpful and knowledgeable employees. They should be able to guide you towards which paints to get, help you decide which army you'd like most etc. Now keep in mind, they ARE going to try to sell you things. They'll try to upsell you overly expensive brushes and other tools that you probably don't need, and could most definitely get cheaper elsewhere. But their advice on their actual models and paints should be listened to. Also I believe their learn to paint kits are an OK value, but not quite as good as they seem at first because they come with mini pots of paint instead of full size ones. I could be wrong about this, though.
Yeah, I plan on going there soon, though I probably won't be buying anything quite yet. I'm good on tools so there's no risk of that, thankfully. These newer paint sets I'm talking about have regular size pots of paint as far as I can tell (though they are smaller than other brands, but that goes for the ones outside the sets as well).

That looks great, by the way.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Depression and anxiety have really been kicking my ass and I haven't painted in months, and my painting room was turned into a junk room. I really want to get back into the hobby as I was really enjoying it, and I feel I was making good progress in the 6 months I was painting so I've just cleaned out my room and it's no longer the junk room, and has been restored to its former glory. Not sure if I'm ready to jump back in yet but it's a start.

Before I quit I commissioned an awesome Bloodborne Hunter mini from Etsy, I'd love to paint it up one day. I also bought a squad of Ultramarines and all the paints needed for them (like 10 shades of blue lol) and I've never touched them, they're just sitting there. There's an easy £500 sitting on my desk just gathering dust and I really don't like that.

Well, there they are:
00fOdmZ.jpg

I've had these in my drawer for months and months, they're such cool models for the price.

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I went to scope out the Warhammer shop and managed to escape with only a set and three paints. It could have been a lot worse, I recon.

I got the T'au Pathfinder Team and one gray, one white and a red. This will hopefully last me for a bit.
Seeing those single minis going for 20-30€ was a bit scary, however cool they may look.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I went to scope out the Warhammer shop and managed to escape with only a set and three paints. It could have been a lot worse, I recon.

I got the T'au Pathfinder Team and one gray, one white and a red. This will hopefully last me for a bit.
Seeing those single minis going for 20-30€ was a bit scary, however cool they may look.

Cool! I recon you can make a sweet kill team out of that box if you feel tipping your toes into the miniature wargaming side of the hobby.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

Great choice, the T'au pathfinder box is amazing. And yes, it makes for a great killteam!