• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
did any of you guys ever go to japan during the height of MD? it was really neat. there were kiosks/vending machines in train stations/electronics stores/music stores that would have the ranked singles of the week/month or certain albums and you'd put a re-writable minidisc into the machine and get your song for a hundred yen or so.
I went in the spring of '96, and the hot gadget was slimline cassette players not much larger than cassette tapes themselves. My class had never seen anything like them in Canada. MD was available, but it wasn't a dominant format yet from what I had seen.

(It was also the first time I'd ever seen a teenager with a cellphone, in school, which was a mild shock.)

I've always wondered how many people watch Evangelion and have no clue what Shinji is listening to music on.
My cousin had a DAT recorder, so I knew what it was. It was a mighty bold assumption that people would be listening to cassette tapes in 2014, though.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was in first generation players. So dope especially since that was also the dawn of the MP3 and america online chat rooms. I think the main draw was the quality and durability. Still a much cooler format than even CD.

Surprised that no one is posting the early generation home machines. I had a full sized MD unit. Even some of my later mini home systems had Minidisc integrated.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes dust off my old minidisc player and listen to it. I personally love the device and wish it had more traction in the west.

Bought a brand new Sony minidisc player at a flea market still in plastic box just in case my OG one ever kicks the bucket.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It was bad in some designs like the extremely thin / minimal walkmans and maybe discmans / md players as well since some of the functions were only available on the remote so if you lost it then rip
Oh, didn't remember those exclusive functions only avaliable on the remotes. Yeah, that sucks. It's been so long I've forgotten about the drawbacks. I only remember that I loved the devices and that they felt very futuristic at the time šŸ˜Š

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I never got to experience the minidisc, but I figured I'd share MrMobile's video on them:

Ow! My nostalgia. I rocked this sucker and ripped my own mixes from CD's. It could easily be a whole day project.

sony_mzr70_huge.jpg
Ah man I had the one in that YouTube video preview pic and I think later one that looked like that square silver one, but mine was black and red. Loved this format so much. And a HUGE part of that was seeing all of those amazing colorful blank MDs from Japan. No surprise this was also during my biggest weeaboo phase and importing Dreamcast games etc. I'm trying to think where I would have seen all of those MDs for sale or read about them... was Engadget around in 2000-2001?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
MD was my jam until the iPod murdered it.

But they looked amazing, were functional and the players were bad ass too.

Ahhh the good old days when Sony was the king of consumer electronics. Just their name on something was enough to get my interest back then.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I still have my Sony MD player and discs up in the loft. I loved that thing and was sad that it died out so soon.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Oh man I totally somehow printed out some little sticker labels for my MDs I even printed out the album art for the Parasite Eve techno remix album that was a great one ah damn lol

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
God, I loved my MD player. I rocked the MZ-R70 in blue hard for five years:

MZ-R70_L_01_low.jpg

MZ-R70_L_01_low.jpg

Then I got my first iPod and my MD collection got tucked away. However, a couple of years ago I scored a CD to MD deck from Craigslist, hooked it up to the stereo setup I was putting together, and proceeded to have way too much fun making new mixes and dusting off old discs.

The sad thing is that MD was the perfect successor to the cassette tape for the CD era, which seemed to be broadly understood in Japan and Europe but mostly ignored in the US. It's a damn shame - I loved the format and wish more folks could have enjoyed it during the MD heyday.

As for disc aesthetics, the first set of blanks I got, courtesy of the folks at MiniDisco, were 80 minute Sony Neiges:

s-l500.jpg

24166040350_4bcd45a8a0.jpg

I wound up with a lot of other random MDs - mostly Sony Color Collection discs that were readily available from Best Buy - but the Neige line was always my disc of choice.

For anyone who still has a MD player handy, Sony is still selling 80 minute MDs new in Japan; you can import them for around $4 each for a 5 or 10 pack after shipping.

Last edited:

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
MiniDisc was awesome, never understood why they didnt introduce a PC drive to use as a replacement for the diskette drives we had at that time..
had this little monster :-D

6301260695_8119bc5c73_b.jpg

also the Techmoan video:

Last edited:

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Ah man this makes me want to mow the lawn while listening to some tunes on my MD player

I don't even have a lawn now

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Loved the commercials and seeing them for their short time in stores.

Techmoan has a good 45 min lovetter to the format.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I loved MiniDisc! At the time, it was better quality than typical MP3 recordings and you could carry a lot more songs than a MP3 player could hold. I still want a car unit.

These Sharp players were my favorite. They were drop-in, rather than clamshell design. Those are some of the interesting designs of minidiscs I bought from minidisco.com.
jomARMX.jpg

I had a few official releases, too. I only ever found them at Circuit City, and I kick myself for not buying their entire inventory when they went out of business.
l2LyCCM.jpg

My box of discs. Some great mixes in there! I used to spend hours on my home unit, carefully editing live shows, labelling tracks, adding movie dialog and sound effects in-between songs.
kyDExsh.jpg

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i saved up for one of these stupid ass things in middle school just because it looked cool. i had it loaded with complete trash like limp bizkit and icp

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
If anyone in this thread still has a working MD player and would like to be sent a mix MD, PM me and I'll try to hook you up with a suitably awesome mix!*

* Note: Definition of "awesome" may vary wildly from your own and/or be utterly nostalgai damaged.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018
There was always something so cool and futuristic about minidisc. It really looked great and felt great to put one in.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
They're not for looking during use. It's so when I open my minidisc case and sort through them like albums that I feel a great sense of satisfaction for them. I miss my player. Still have my brother's case with discs tho.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018

Got to 14:40 of this video, it shows off the minidisc in a cool way. I always remember this when I think of Minidisc for some reason.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the format was neat and wanted an MZ-N707 pretty badly at one point, but never jumped in. I mainly wanted it as a voice recorder at the time.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Really glad to see a MD thread on Era. I made countless of them on the old forum.
I love this format and am a huge collector of all things MD.

Theres so many interesting things.. theres a video camera that record to MD and could provide video through your local network directly from the camera.

There were MD players that had photo cameras on them.

Just such an amazing format.

Tmarking is a great way to loop music too.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I worked with a guy from SE Asia who used one daily. My mp3 player was way more convenient but I still thought about buying a minidisc player every time I saw it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Nah it's fun! I don't collect MDs but I think it's awesome.
The only thing I see that's a bit overboard is floppy disks being put out lol
In both cases I think people are just buying them to own and actually using the download code to listen so whatever lol.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
A minidisc thread!!

I recorded all my acoustic demos on minidisc, I still have them all.
It's still futuristic looking in its way.

I also have both OK Computer and Kid A on minidsc.
They have cute little proportional booklets!