• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm doing a quick and dirty OT for the game Minit, apologies if someone has requested it as I searched and couldn't find any requests.

Minit came out today and everyone should buy it of course.

Game - Minit
http://minitgame.com/

Publisher - Devolver Digital

Formats - PS4/PC/Xbox One
(Switch is BOUND to happen later so please don't beg, Nintendo only started supporting GameMaker a couple of weeks before this game's release)

USD $9.99/£7.99

Game Trailer

Soundtrack
https://jukiokallio.bandcamp.com/album/minit-ost

Era review thread
https://www.resetera.com/threads/minit-review-thread-spoiler-its-great.33685/#navigation

Opencritic
http://opencritic.com/game/5780/minit

Metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/Minit/results

Minit was created by.
Kitty Calis
Jan Willem Nijman (50% of Vlambeer)
Jukio Kallio (Music)
Dominik Johann

Premise - You find a cursed sword that kills you every 60 seconds, any items you find you keep, nothing else will reset other than your location when you die. When you will respawn back at your home base, other home bases can be unlocked as you progress.

Hope this OT can get the discussion going as this really is a special little game.

Last edited:

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How many hits kills you? It looks like one.

EDIT: Never mind, you have hearts.

Okay, so I watched a few minutes on Twitch. You die every 60 seconds, but you can change your spawn point, so the map isn't tiny like I had expected. If you die during a boss fight, you respawn at the beginning of the boss fight, not your home base. It looks to be a fairly short game. I accidentally saw the end and the final time to completion was
84 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Delabee

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You have hearts/health, which you can also find and collect which adds to your health.
You start the game with 2 hearts, 2 hits will kill you, although you will die in 60 seconds regardless.

Volo

Oct 26, 2017
I watched Game Informer's video on this game today. The core gameplay loop is alluring as well as the game's aesthetics. The game boy island aesthetic reminds me of Link's Awakening.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Mr Delabee For some reason your link to the review thread links to a random post at the end of the first page.

On topic, the gimmick reminds of Half-Minute Hero. Will wait to see if any of the YouTubers I follow do a video on it.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
Been following this for a little while, it looks super interesting and inventive! It's also developed by half of vlambeer, so I'd be crazy *not* to play it.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I remember reading about this game a while ago thinking it looked interesting, but then I completely forgot about it somehow. Will probably pick it up once I get through some of my backlog.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm roughly two hours into it. It's really good, but I'm patiently awaiting other people to finish it and upload a guide because I'm currently stumped on it.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
This game looks great. Like Zelda A Links Awakening, the best Zelda for me. And is only 10€ and published by Devolver? Going to read a few reviews/gameplay now and see...

Okay, so I watched a few minutes on Twitch. You die every 60 seconds, but you can change your spawn point, so the map isn't tiny like I had expected. If you die during a boss fight, you respawn at the beginning of the boss fight, not your home base.

Very useful info

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Just played for maybe 20 minutes. It's such a good idea, so simple, so obvious and so much fun!

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The gif from the video

MinitAnimation.png

It's the cutest thing!

It's $10. Skip the youtubers and try it for yourself. :)

Ha, yeah, I will probably get it soon. Probably should avoid spoilers then!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a guide for this online somewhere because it's starting to drive me crazy not being able to get past where I'm stuck. I swear I've searched everywhere I can.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've finished it (outside a coin) so if you post in in a spoiler, I can help you.

I'm currently trying to make my way through the factory. I can see that I need to stop two conveyor belts, I've managed to stop the one on the right (by hitting the targets on that moving belt, but I still have the other, and I've no idea where to go. An npc keeps telling me to "find the other side of the factory" or something like that.

This is the room with the conveyor belts (the top right one has stopped moving, so I'm trying to go into the top left room, but I can't get in there.

zJd2Djs.jpg

This second pic is the top left corner room, if that makes sense. I can't figure out a way to get in here.

ylLahg8.jpg

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently trying to make my way through the factory. I can see that I need to stop two conveyor belts, I've managed to stop the one on the right (by hitting the targets on that moving belt, but I still have the other, and I've no idea where to go. An npc keeps telling me to "find the other side of the factory" or something like that.

This is the room with the conveyor belts (the top right one has stopped moving, so I'm trying to go into the top left room, but I can't get in there.

zJd2Djs.jpg

This second pic is the top left corner room, if that makes sense. I can't figure out a way to get in here.

ylLahg8.jpg
You need to break the left thing by moving boxes into it

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
You can go into the left room. It's a little finicky, but you can go using the conveyor hole.
Then feed the machine the three boxes.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

zJd2Djs.jpg

ylLahg8.jpg
Oh wait, didn't notice you are on the other side... The answer is in the mines, talk to a worker he will give you a hint

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I had an early copy of the game and got stuck at a very silly moment, but otherwise it's a tremendous game. From my Steam Review:

Minit is a top-down classical adventure game with an interesting hook. You play as a creature who finds a cursed sword that causes the owner to die after sixty seconds. You are then reawoken at your most recent home keeping whatever items you found or progress you may have made. Each quest is a small puzzle in itself, and the repetition of death forces you to learn your way around this charming island.

Charm is absolutely the word for it. Despite the fact that this game runs at 480x270 and has two colors (black and white), it oozes charm. Every part of the world has been hand crafted with purpose, the characters you meet feel full despite only having 1-3 lines of dialogue, and the animation is fluid and adorable. This game is filled with unadulterated love. One example is an achievement that involves giving your beloved pet an item from the other side of the island. This tiny bit of affection is hinted at through a small portrait in the basement, which inspired me to even take a shot at making this happen for that sweet pooch. I was rewarded with something useful and a Steam achievement.

My time to completion for the main story of the game was about 2 hours. Every questline was sufficiently challenging and the only time I got stuck was on something very simple that just needed a moment of reorientation to figure out. I'm now going through the endgame to try and find every bit and bob in this sweet world.

If you're in the market for a brief and satisfying adventure game, Minit is absolutely for you. The greatest praise I can heap on this game is how much it reminded me of the feeling of accomplishment I'd get while playing The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening as a child, but on a frequent basis as I figured out each little challenge. Minit's worth more than a minute of your time.​

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Misleading game name. It took 93 times longer than I expected to beat. It's a lot of fun figuring out the puzzles and I anticipate finding all the secrets.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
that's the thing, it won't let me. I enter the left room using the conveyor belt and I get stuck, no matter how hard I press left he wont go any further to let me in
Just go a little up and down, believe me, I had trouble at first. Also, you can also go from the mines, on the second screen take the upper right exit, and you will arrive to where you need to be.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Just go a little up and down, believe me, I had trouble at first. Also, you can also go from the mines, on the second screen take the upper right exit, and you will arrive to where you need to be.

The upper right section gets me stuck in this water as you can see here.
EbqAbV6.jpg

Sorry if I'm coming across a bit needy here, but I'm frustrated I can't seem to get in this room :(. I tried wiggling up and down on that conveyor belt like the other person suggested, but that hasn't helped either.

Edit: ha it was actually you, not another person

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome - sounds incredibly stupid of me to say it given the nature of the game, but I wasn't expecting it to be so short! Accidentally finished it in 70 minutes, started again straight away and I am now absolutely stuck as to what I need to do.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
The upper right section gets me stuck in this water as you can see here.
EbqAbV6.jpg

Sorry if I'm coming across a bit needy here, but I'm frustrated I can't seem to get in this room :(. I tried wiggling up and down on that conveyor belt like the other person suggested, but that hasn't helped either.

Edit: ha it was actually you, not another person
Wait, you still don't have the flippers? Go to the hotel and find all the guests. They're all close.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you still don't have the flippers? Go to the hotel and find all the guests. They're all close.

The last guest I need to get is hanging out with the bandits. Do you know which bandits he's referring to? I've killed the ones to the left of the hotel and the ones north that emerge from the bushes.

Oh my god this whole time I've been accidentally killing him.

I AM SO STUPID

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
The last guest I need to get is hanging out with the bandits. Do you know which bandits he's referring to? I've killed the ones to the left of the hotel and the ones north that emerge from the bushes.

Oh my god this whole time I've been accidentally killing him.

I AM SO STUPID
LOL
Going by what you're telling me, you've already solved the puzzle lol

Slaylock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is starting to look like a highly classified CIA document. Redactions everywhere.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks pretty sweet and I dig the premise. The price point is just a little too high for the amount of content for me, but I am definitely adding it to my wish list.

Oct 31, 2017
In case anyone is wondering about the end of the game,

There is a Second Run mode that changes up the game. You get the Broken Sword, which has 40 seconds instead of 60, and the crabs are more spread out. It is HARD to get the coffee.

This game is excellent.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A couple of questions (don't tell me the solutions, just if I'm on the right track):

Do you need an item for the north room in the hidden ruins or am I just not understanding the puzzle? I have the ghost for hints and it still doesn't help.

Is there any point to the explorer on the crook of that poisoned river? There's clearly part of the mine I haven't been to yet and I wonder if the entrance is around there, but I keep just dying.

Oct 31, 2017
More endgame spoilers:

Second Run

is actually the devil.

40 seconds is actually not enough to get to the boat and make it to the safehouse on the island, which means you need the running shoes---which now cost NINE coins---to get the hub house.

FUCK this game.

OP
OP
Mr Delabee

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just finished the game, my end game stats.

158 Runs
66% Collected
137:02.87 (2 hours: 17 mins: 02.87 seconds)

Loved every moment of it, there are some things I've noticed and can't get to, so may try and 100% before I attempted NG+.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Quoting myself from the other thread:

"Put some more time into the game and I'm still having a blast with it. The amount of things I have been able to accomplish with only 60 second chunks is awesome."

Oct 31, 2017
Beat

Second Run with 71%

in two hours. It's strongly implied

that there is a third mode in the Second Run records room (once you finally get 9 coins and the shoes to get on the boat!), but it didn't unlock upon beating Second Run, so I wonder if it is tied to 100%ing a file.

If you are on the fence because of the game's length, please don't be. There is plenty of content here.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
This game is really fucking ingenious. I love the mechanic. I'm only playing about 5-6 "rounds" per play session but it's really enjoyable and a great indie game.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit. Guess I am buying this game. Outta nowhere, but looks awesome, and it's a no-brainer at $10.

TylerH

Oct 28, 2017
Salt Lake City
I'll ditto needing help with the
north room puzzle of the secret temple.
I've wasted enough time on it, I'd love if someone can just tell me what to do or provide a good hint. Thanks!