• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So theoretically (I'm not saying this is going to happen, I'm just trying to anchor myself with what seems like it could be a systemic solution that doesn't require the intervention of the feds right now) the mayor and/or local city powers could fire the Chief of Police and appoint a new chief sympathetic to routing out the union and beginning a total rebuild of the force?

In theory they could, but it would result a total shit show. The PBA is an extremely powerful union

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how bad things need to get before city powers look at the current shit show and make a calculation

You're looking at this too simplistically though. It's not just a cut the head off situation, there's far too many tendrils who see the PBA as an ok thing and it would need a far sweeping reform. Even if the city was behind and found a police chief behind it, you still have to contend with the hundreds and thousands of employed police who stand for their "blue line" shit and will do everything possible to push back.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

This was a damn good speech

It is, and must be listened to. After the four murderous fucks who started all this shit get the book thrown at them and get murder charges too.

Until then, the protestors are getting shit done and moving the needle, so keep it up and keep doing so until the murderers get the charges against them.

Killer Mike states an excellent longterm plan that can and will lead to the necessary changes. But for now short term action is required.

Oct 25, 2017
So theoretically (I'm not saying this is going to happen, I'm just trying to anchor myself with what seems like it could be a systemic solution that doesn't require the intervention of the feds right now) the mayor and/or local city powers could fire the Chief of Police and appoint a new chief sympathetic to routing out the union and beginning a total rebuild of the force?

Yeah, that probably won't work. How is the non union police chief going to hire police? As terribly trained as they are, anyone willing to cross the picket line will be on a whole different level of unprepared.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Managed to get some rest at least which is a miracle. Probably going to try to head down again for cleaning and neighborhood super (groceries, etc ) in a bit. Been getting flyers in several groups about 930 to 1pm as the clean up time, assuming we can even get to the areas most affected. Although there's definitely no shortage of stuff to help with even just based on eBay I saw last night...

Edit: if anyone is around the area and wanting to help, basically bring a broom/shove and maybe gloves and bags too ( although people were giving it extras as well the last few days). Anywhere works, although I imagine the guard might be blocking off some areas one again today already. Lake St definitely is the main road containing damage so anywhere asking that..

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The kids geared up is killing me. Please tell me this is just a psycho parent and not anyone in charge pulling this shit.

On another note, all twitter videos on this site will not play anymore. You have to go directly to the Twitter post. Issue with anyone else?

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
if you have told 20 year old me back in 2000 that that the world, the US was gonna be like what's today I'd be in disbelief, I really am at loss of words. Fight the power but please please please don't play in to those fckers hands.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017

Is Trump eluding to the protesters not being actual protesters? I wonder with the recent suspicions/outings of cops pretending to be protesters and causing riots, if Trump sees an opportunity to make it appear that the Democrats are behind this civil unrest (looting/rioting)? Would not surprise me if he tried that.

Oct 25, 2017
There's some shady happenings.
I was just going through his threads. I'm pretty sure this has been posted, but it shouldn't be missed.

Police pretending to be protesters instead of actually protesting. For anybody who still hasn't figured it out, this is why all cops are bastards. They don't want anything to improve for the people. They're not trying to infiltrate some kind of organized crime syndicate. They're undermining a civil rights movement. They're bigots, they're terrorists, they're garbage, and they deserve no respect.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be disappointed if Trumps caravan isn't bombarded with rotten fruit and eggs every time he goes out from now on.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Anger don't mean shit if you don't channel it into something that moves people forward. An uprising ain't going to get qualified immunity overturned, voting and organizing to overwhelm the fascists on the court will.
Everyone knows why we're here. And I literally mean everyone in the world; memorials for George Floyd and marches against the police are happening all over. The clarity of why this is happening is literally not in contention. We know exactly what we want. But it doesn't mean shit if the powers that be don't pay attention first. They certainly don't pay attention when we're peaceful.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
There's some shady happenings.
I was just going through his threads. I'm pretty sure this has been posted, but it shouldn't be missed.

I love how the undercover just try to casually roll up the window when their bitch asses get busted out. Fucking horse shit. This video needs to be spread all over. This is how they start shit then blame protesters

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Hey no problem. Out of interest were you going to criticise the riots? Not trying a gotcha, just genuinely curious if you have an alternate take on what's going on.

I'm just kind of at the point where I support them up until last night - especially burning down the police station - but I'm concerned about them continuing. At the same time I also recognize that I'm just a white dude who can't experience the pain that the black community is going through. There's also a bit of a disconnect for me with what's going on in Atlanta vs the understandable response in Minnesota. The African American Democratic mayor of Atlanta begging the destruction to stop makes it hard for me to see why it should go on.

But I'm very uncertain with these thoughts so I actually wanted people to tell me why I shouldn't have those doubts.

I think I really want to sit down and read closely the reply from EdibleKnife. I totally get where they are coming from.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anger don't mean shit if you don't channel it into something that moves people forward. An uprising ain't going to get qualified immunity overturned, voting and organizing to overwhelm the fascists on the court will.
Minnesota has a Democrat governor ,Minneapolis has a Democrat mayor ,Democrats City council. Voted Democrat in 2016 and 2018 vote Democrat this year and yet black people are still fucked over. Don't keep on telling people to keep on voting while the same old shit continues to happen

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
I thought it was pretty clear.....those who who perfected the art of manipulating underprivileged classes against their own interests via religion and race, those who turned the security apparatus of US into guardian dogs of elites, those who would happily watch the world burn if they are not at the top.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knows why we're here. And I literally mean everyone in the world; memorials for George Floyd and marches against the police are happening all over. The clarity of why this is happening is literally not in contention. We know exactly what we want. But it doesn't mean shit if the powers that be don't pay attention first. They certainly don't pay attention when we're peaceful.

The uprising is the slap in the face, but it ain't the whole fight. Where do we go in a week or two when the dust settles? How do organizers spin this into something more than righteous anger and rebellion against a system that wasn't built to uplift PoC, and often works against their very existence?

An army without marching orders is just a target

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just kind of at the point where I support them up until last night - especially burning down the police station - but I'm concerned about them continuing. At the same time I also recognize that I'm just a white dude who can't experience the pain that the black community is going through. There's also a bit of a disconnect for me with what's going on in Atlanta vs the understandable response in Minnesota. The African American Democratic mayor of Atlanta begging the destruction to stop makes it hard for me to see why it should go on.

But I'm very uncertain with these thoughts so I actually wanted people to tell me why I shouldn't have those doubts.

If anything, civil unrest and the destruction of buildings may be the only effective way of creating change. People are watching. Peaceful protests, unfortunately, are not as effective because even then, cops will attack peaceful protestors. There needs to be systemic changes. Buildings, things destroyed, they can be rebuilt. This is a window of opportunity to a better world for everyone.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly expected Killer Mike to say something far far worse. He's still hugging the badge a bit too hard but he has to understand all the meet me in the middle shit doesn't really work.

The game is rigged and they don't respond to graciousness.

You can't meet anyone in the middle when those on the other side don't even recognize you as a human being.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came here to comment on this. I've seen so many similar threads/reports of instigation that it's hard to dismiss this as uncoordinated.
t.co

Far-Right Extremists Are Hoping to Turn the George Floyd Protests Into a New Civil War

Armed extremists are showing up to protests and urging a “boogaloo” — code for civil war — online.

We need to be careful here. Rightous anger and a need for justice can easily be turned into and used for others agendas.

Be safe and keep fighting. But be cautious of who is doing what and why.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

Is Trump eluding to the protesters not being actual protesters? I wonder with the recent suspicions/outings of cops pretending to be protesters and causing riots, if Trump sees an opportunity to make it appear that the Democrats are behind this civil unrest (looting/rioting)? Would not surprise me if he tried that.

He's stirring up his hordes of conspiracy theorists with insinuation. It's what he does.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly expected Killer Mike to say something far far worse. He's still hugging the badge a bit too hard but he has to understand all the meet me in the middle shit doesn't really work.

The game is rigged and they don't respond to graciousness.

I didn't see his speech as a "meet in the middle," he basically just asked people not to burn down their own homes and that we need to mobilize political action to effect change.

It's a nice sentiment, but November is a long ways away. Right now, riots are how we can be heard and effect change. We can rebuild later.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

For the bolded, black people aren't a hive mind, and democratic leadership is often wrong about all sorts of things. This is the kind of position you would expect any mayor to take. If they took the opposite position they would be completely crucified.

Secondly, you are seeing large scale revolutions bubbling up across the country. When people protest peacefully, the world doesn't listen anymore. Hell it took a couple days for the MSM to even cover the chaos in Minneapolis properly. We were all seeing some pretty historic stuff on live streams long before the news was even talking about any of it. When people started looting and burning down buildings though, the entire world started talking about it. This is a literal war, peaceful protest has gotten us nowhere, the Rodney King verdict was almost 30 years ago. How much longer are we supposed to wait? Should we peacefully protest for another 30 years?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
If anything, civil unrest and the destruction of buildings may be the only effective way of creating change. People are watching. Peaceful protests, unfortunately, are not as effective because even then, cops will attack peaceful protestors. There needs to be systemic changes. Buildings, things destroyed, they can be rebuilt. This is a window of opportunity to a better world for everyone.

Yes it's probably that simple and I totally get that. My only remaining question is how does it end? Will it fizzle out or be met with another tragedy?

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota has a Democrat governor ,Minneapolis has a Democrat mayor ,Democrats City council. Voted Democrat in 2016 and 2018 vote Democrat this year and yet black people are still fucked over. Don't keep on telling people to keep on voting while the same old shit continues to happen

So you don't believe in Representative Democracy, you just want to vent?

How boring and counterproductive. In fact it's a lazy excuse to sidestep the hard work of organizing and relies on underwear gnome logic that shit will just magically get better after the last cop cruiser is torched.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah fair enough. I appreciate that you have a different viewpoint and want clarification rather than outright decrying the violence.

I think you have to realise that black people have had decades of oppression and seen literally hundreds if not thousands of police brutality cases go unpunished and this is the straw that broke the camel's back. They tried protesting peacefully but they got mocked see Colin Kaepernick. It's time for folks to show that the treatment of black folks in America has gone too far and they are expressing their right to equality.

I'm saying thss as a white guy from Scotland but fuck me they should be rioting. I can't imagine what it feels like for everyone around you, all your friends and family to constantly get kicked and taunted by folks just because they have the privilege of being born with fair skin.

Burning down buildings that are only bricks and mortar is not the same as taking away the lives of a loved one. They can rebuild their police station but all the folks that have been killed by America's number 1 gang aren't coming back.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long this keeps up and how far it will go. It's moved beyond just getting justice for George Floyd, that was just the catalyst.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Where do we go in a week or two when the dust settles?
This is not going to stop in a week or two.

How do organizers spin this into something more than righteous anger and rebellion against a system that wasn't built to uplift PoC, and often works against their very existence?
Organizers are the ones who are simultaneously doing the political work on the side; drawing up terms and demands, talking to the powers that be, and contributing to/running progressive campaigns.

Stop thinking black people aren't doing anything else but breaking stuff.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Walz and Frey. They just don't get it.

What is this focus on saying the protests and riots are from people who don't live in the twin cities of Minnesota? Who gives a shit. You saw protests all around the country. This is a crisis that knows no borders. All of this is such bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017

How boring and counterproductive. In fact it's a lazy excuse to sidestep the hard work of organizing and relies on underwear gnome logic that shit will just magically get better after the last cop cruiser is torched.

Their point is a state that is "blue" is still not good enough. Systematic shit still exists and simply voting blue aint mean shit.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bro I'm black. my grandfather couldn't vote until he was like 40 even though he had the right to vote when he was born. why would I believe in the system in which I'm dealing with the same problems my grandfather dealt with when he was a my age almost a hundred years ago today?