• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised to see Ben Hanson get the first interview with Mediatonic on Youtube considering how huge this game is. Can try to callout a few facts as I hear them, but the timestamps are super detailed if you are looking for a specific tidbit.

00:00:00 - Intro
00:00:45 - Mediatonic's reaction to Fall Guys' success
00:04:30 - Mediatonic's studio history
00:07:40 - Fall Guys' development history
00:11:00 - Making Fall Guys levels and adding more
00:14:40 - Planned updates for Fall Guys
00:15:20 - Mediatonic's thoughts on a level editor
00:16:35 - The history of Hex-A-Gone
00:18:40 - The competitive Fall Guys community
00:20:40 - Thoughts on a ranked mode
00:21:45 - Crossplay and squad modes
00:22:40 - Rocket League inspirations and the studio's future
00:25:30 - KFC, Cyberpunk, and brand collaborations
00:27:45 - The secrets to Fall Guys' success
00:30:00 - The impact of PS Plus
00:32:40 - Lessons for other developers
00:35:00 - Free-to-play future?
00:35:50 - Twitch integration
00:36:35 - Has Epic or Microsoft tried to buy the studio?
00:37:45 - Fall Guys lore
00:38:45 - Why there isn't an announcer

A big thing we are looking into is cross play for example. Again Fall Guys is about bringing people together to play wholesome games and it makes sense that cross play is part of that.

Last edited:

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So nothing about splitscreen on PS4?
This looks like something my wife and I could enjoy and I got it from PS+ anyway.

OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
So nothing about splitscreen on PS4?
This looks like something my wife and I could enjoy and I got it from PS+ anyway.

As far as I can tell no. That seems like a big point to address, and for me personally the tail tagging seems super wonky. Not sure if either come up in this interview.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anything about letting us have actual names on PC instead of Fall Guy #xxxx?

Oct 27, 2017
Good to confirm that crossplay is something they're serious about. I remember seeing them mention it in their Discord channel I think too.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can tell no. That seems like a big point to address, and for me personally the tail tagging seems super wonky. Not sure if either come up in this interview.

I've not watched the interview, but Joe talked about tail grabbing on Reddit:

Ouch, yeah this is super rough and not at all the experience we want. We're looking into it but it's not a simple fix. Latency means that players can be in different positions on different clients, so making it 'easier' to grab tails risks making the grab distance for players grabbing you even worse than it currently is. That said, I'm not an engineer and so can't speak to the complexities of this issue. All I can say is that we know it's a bit busted and are going to do our best to fix it!

Links to various other comments from MediaTonic employees are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/FallGuysGame/comments/i8b87i/patch_1_megathread_aug_12_2020/

OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I've not watched the interview, but Joe talked about tail grabbing on Reddit:
Yeah I figured that was the case. I think I am more forgiving of other players grabbing my tail from what appears to be a distance, but when I am mashing the grab button right next to another player and nothing happens that is where things get really frustrating.

Actually that reddit post is a great resource. I think the patch notes might address your problem Flandy

Please give an option to turn off crossplay on PS4. I don't want potential PC hackers in my lobbies.
I've heard of hackers already on PC, as a PS4 player I'm a bit apprehensive about cross playing there
Really pathetic that people do that for this game.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome interview! Just got finished listening through. Can't wait for what the future has in store for this game & studio. Been loving all of the MinnMax content.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Joe Walsh made this game? Shitttt that's all you needed to say. Big fan of the James Gang not so much the Eagles

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
I've heard of hackers already on PC, as a PS4 player I'm a bit apprehensive about cross playing there

Thankfully, they're addressing the issue.

"We are working as quickly as we can to address this issue in the game," Mediatonic told GameSpot via email. "Cheating and other hacks to boost performance take away from the enjoyment of everyone and we are actively working to address this now."

www.gamespot.com

Fall Guys Cheaters Can't Hide Anymore

Players have used hacks to skip obstacles and annoy others.

Regardless, the option to opt out of crossplay definitely needs to be there.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Thankfully, they're addressing the issue.

Like I said before in an other thread, as if.
Have they found the magical solution to hackers while all the other AAA devs are still searching? I doubt.
They should work on their horrible servers and the constant server lag/delay first. If they can't even get this right, which is the bread and butter of this game! Than they specially won't be able to fix this.

Jun 5, 2020
Disappointed he doesn't seem too keen on the idea of a more competitive Fall Guys experience.

Why not appeal to both kinds of players?

Oct 30, 2017
With a massive PS4 user base, cross play is low priority for me right now.

Split screen, more polish to the netcode and gameplay, and more content is king for me right now.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Being on PS Plus was instrumental to the success of the game according to this. I don't know, it would be interesting to see how it would have performed without being on it

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Yeah I figured that was the case. I think I am more forgiving of other players grabbing my tail from what appears to be a distance, but when I am mashing the grab button right next to another player and nothing happens that is where things get really frustrating.

I think that's a latency issue pretty frequently, it's something my friends and I have noticed too. They'll be right next to us and then suddenly they're far away. Or someone took our tails when it's been a couple seconds since they were nearby.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is a wonderful interview and has alleviated some of my worries about the future direction of this game. They seem to have a good grasp of what makes their game enjoyable.

Squads, Playlists and Map mods will add a huge amount of replayability and should help expand their playerbase horizontally.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly a possible twitch integration with viewers being able to maybe control some aspect of some obstacles or cheer on like game show audience? The potential here is unlimited.

Also, I concur with Joe Walsh about not going free-to-play. Why are everybody asking for this game to become free-to-play? The price of this game is cheaper than your usual AAA games. There are less incentive for micro transactions from what I can see so far with its season progression. I prefer this far more than free-to-play but with massive micro transaction incentives.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Great game and solid interview from what I've watched so far. Nice to see him straight up saying they "wanted to do the Rocket League thing" with launching on PS+. Launching an indie multiplayer game with the marketing and built-in ownership of Plus (or GWG/Gamepass now) is absolutely the way to go and it blows my mind that it's taken 5 years for another developer to push for that.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This would be the first game I would buy on Stadia, just to get a few rounds in on break at work & lunch.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The smartest twitch integration would be private lobbies that could be filled with stream viewers. It would be like a more interactive version of marble race which is big on twitch.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if they are already getting costume ideas similar to Fortnite, I know some NHL teams are already begging for a skin in Fallguys.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
That was an awesome interview! Sounds like Mediatonic has a good head on their shoulders and I hope they can keep up with the momentum of Fall Guys. It brought my gaming crew back together after we all kinda fell of Destiny, so I'm grateful!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they are already getting costume ideas similar to Fortnite, I know some NHL teams are already begging for a skin in Fallguys.
They would be able to fund the game for years with this alone.
HTB1yMwmEWSWBuNjSsrbq6y0mVXaw.jpg_350x350.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Great game and solid interview from what I've watched so far. Nice to see him straight up saying they "wanted to do the Rocket League thing" with launching on PS+. Launching an indie multiplayer game with the marketing and built-in ownership of Plus (or GWG/Gamepass now) is absolutely the way to go and it blows my mind that it's taken 5 years for another developer to push for that.
It depends on how much Sony pays the developer for it - maybe the Fall Guys devs were fine with the amount, but other developers were not. Sony needs to pay a lot for the possibly huge amount of sales lost from making the game free for a month.

The PS4 was also quite young when Rocket League came out, so there were plenty of customers who couldn't get Rocket League when it was free.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have got this if it wasn't on PSN and I've already thrown about $20 at it so my kid can get skins and shit. Seems they made a smart play with the PSN release.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy had a hand in creating Tequila Sunrise, Hotel California, Take It Easy, Desperado, Witchy Woman.....AND now he's made Fall Guys? What a career.

Nov 28, 2017
Regardless, the option to opt out * of crossplay definitely needs to be there.

Opt-in*, needs to be there.

Console playerbase shouldn't be forced to play with platforms other than consoles, ON ANY GAME, spammed the rhetoric " iT'S oPtIoNaL!!!111! yOu cAn oPt oUt!!!!11!", and split their player pool into 95:5, with the 5% of the players going to the options and manually turning crossplay off and left to play between only that 5%, made into a tiny minority ON THEIR OWN PLATFORM.

"Optional" isn't it? Then they will "opt-in", if they feel like they need that "option".

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
That was refreshing how open the developer was there. So many of those questions you'd normally not get an answer to or get some weird pre-thought out response to but no, he seemed really open to just talking about the process, warts and all.