• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
cleaningservicer6smb.png
025gyral.gif

On June 16, 2017, an Illinois citizen filed in the US via the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) a trademark application, US Serial Number 87493505, for "Call of DooDee" under Goods and Services for Dog waste removal services. An express abandonment for the application was received in the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) of the USPTO on October 24, 2017, however the application was published for opposition on October 31, 2017. On November 20, 2017,

First 30 Day Request for Extension of Time to Oppose

Pursuant to 37 C.F.R. Section 2.102, Activision Publishing, Inc., 3100 Ocean Park Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405, UNITED STATES, a corporation organized under the laws of DELAWARE , respectfully requests that it be granted a 30-day extension of time to file a notice of opposition against the above-identified mark . The time within which to file a notice of opposition is set to expire on 11/30/2017. Activision Publishing, Inc. respectfully requests that the time period within which to file an opposition be extended until 12/30/2017. Respectfully submitted, /Neil Yang/ 11/20/2017
Neil Yang
Activision Legal Department
3100 Ocean Park Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405
UNITED STATES
Source: http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=87493505&pty=EXT&eno=1

The Request for Extension of Time to Oppose was granted and Activision has until the end of the year to file a formal opposition should the status of the mark remain unchanged (in a way that would "hurt" Activision anyhow). Considering the applicant has previously tried to abandon the application I find it difficult to see this maturing into some greater case between Activision and this Illinois citizen. But it would be interesting to read Activision's statement of the reasons for their belief that they would be damaged by the registration of the opposed mark.

Activision has 23 trademarks, some inactive, related to Call of Duty in the US. None of those are filed under Goods & Services for Dog waste removal services or similar. While I do not know the nature of this Call of DooDee business I would assume it is a local small enterprise with a staff headcount of less than or equal to ten. With a logo that greatly differs from that of the Call of Duty game series and work that does not cause confusion (see Likelihood of Confusion) among consumers, I do not think it is in the realm of impossibility for both businesses to coexist under their own respective names without too much trouble. Activision's legal department may not agree. Regardless, there you have it. I'll update this story should any greater developments happen.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same Call of Duty series that used the Humvee trademark without permission, yeah?

While I do not know the nature of this Call of DooDee business I would assume it is a local small enterprise with a staff headcount of less than or equal to ten.
If that were the case I dunno why you would even bother trying to register the trademark, lol. It's an unnecessary expense when you can just claim an "unregistered trademark" to your business name/logo and put a ™ next to it all day. So, either this dogshit service is expanding into a large regional business and they want to be covered, or the owner is just a little vain and fine with wasting $300.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Change it to 'Call to Doodoo'. Problem solved.

I find it ironic however, them defending the trademark that is about literally shit. Like, you just can't make this shit up.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Activision dealing with real problems here /s

So petty...

PS: Rösti, are you Swiss? I like to eat some Rösti myself ;-)

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I guess they've found a name for their patented microtransaction matchmaking...