• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Dangen Entertainment and Bombservice officially announced two projects today, one being a port of Momodora: RutM coming to Switch, as well as a new game Minoria for PC and Switch.

http://dangenentertainment.com/games/minoria
https://store.steampowered.com/app/940910/Minoria/

Press release for Minoria:
Ink and blood stain the streets of Ramezia. Witches must burn and sinners must be purged. Venture forth as Sister Semilla to purify heretics in Minoria, an action-platformer by Bombservice, creators of Momodora.

Minoria is the latest and most ambitious game from Bombservice, and a spiritual sequel to the Momodora series, from the same studio. Fans of Momodora will find familiar aspects in the design and gameplay elements, as they master the ins-and-outs of parries, dodges, and a variety of different spells. The presentation has evolved to an HD format, with aesthetics mixing 2D hand-painted backgrounds and cel-shaded characters.

Story
The story takes place during the fourth Witch War. It is a time of fanatical religious fervor. On the one hand, by the Sacred Office, a powerful organization leading an Inquisition against heresy, in order to purge the sinners who threaten humanity. And on the other hand, those labeled "witches", responsible for conducting a mysterious ceremony that contradicts the rules of the Church.

Set forth with Sisters Semilla and Fran, missionaries in the Church's service, on their journey to thwart the witches' ceremony and protect the common-folk from heresy that endangers the status quo.

Key Features
・A powerful fantasy story inspired by the history of medieval Europe
・A unique visual aesthetic combining hand-painted 2D art with cel-shading
・Fluid controls encouraging careful engagement and patient play
・Offensive combat enabling players to crush enemies with a mix of swordplay and spells
・Defensive options including dodge-rolls and parries
・A leveling system that helps players adjust their character to their desired difficulty

minoria_screenshot_base4.png
minoria_screenshot_base01.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant! Been meaning to play Momodora forever now. As good an excuse as any.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
New art style looks like it's psuedo-2D with 3D characters? Characters look ever so slightly off, but I assume they'll be able to nail the look with with time.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Really liked Momodora and this new project seems right up my alley, very excited for it.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, now I have to wonder if they scrapped the 3D game entirely. I know there was some backlash about the change, but I also remember reading that they changed it to a different IP, which is what I assumed Minoria was going to be when I saw the topic title. Then again I don't think the source on the IP change was official, though it'd be a shame if they just scrapped the 3D game altogether.

OP
OP
Dascu

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, now I have to wonder if they scrapped the 3D game entirely. I know there was some backlash about the change, but I also remember reading that they changed it to a different IP, which is what I assumed Minoria was going to be when I saw the topic title. Then again I don't think the source on the IP change was official, though it'd be a shame if they just scrapped the 3D game altogether.
Yes and no. Minoria is side-scrolling 3D. It sort of originated from the 3D Momodora V project, but grew into its own thing by now.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
2.5D, huh... That's disappointing. Momodora has some of the best pixel art this generation; it's not an exaggeration to say that I bought it almost entirely because of the beautiful aesthetic. Finding a great game underneath the great art was just the icing on the cake, really.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Momodora IV is my favourite Metroidvania in the past 5 years (and it was a great time for the genre), so everyone get that.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Momodora is freaking great. Already know it but will probably buy again on Switch!
The other one looks kinda cheap tbh...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they converted the gameplay of the 3D prototype to a 2D game. I'd be lying if I said the new game looks better

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Day 1 Switch after Momodora 4 rocked my world with how good it was.

Hopefully people will start to wish for that 3D project now that it ain't happening anymore ;) it looked really cool. But more side scroller stuff is fine too given how talented the team is

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So the backgrounds are hand-painted and all characters and enemies are cel-shaded 3d models?

Momodora IV was a special game. I can enjoy a massive and overreaching metroidvania as well, but there is something immensely satisfying about a succinct take on the genre, like Momodora, that cuts down on the repetition and presents unique graphics, music, and challenges at every turn throughout the journey.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Neat! I typically prefer HD over pixel art but in this case I think I liked the pixel art better though... not feeling the characters right now.
Still, I'm sure the game will be great. Momodora was a wonderful little game.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Looks like they converted the gameplay of the 3D prototype to a 2D game. I'd be lying if I said the new game looks better

I was really disappointed when the devs chose to scrap this because people on the internet are man-children.
Honestly I think consumers need to remember devs are people and not a factory that produces 10 iterations of the exact same game you really like.
I hope the team continues to experiment with their games how they want in the future and not worry about twitter randos having a meltdown over early footage of their next project.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
If I want to play this series, how can I start?
Reverie under the Moonlight is the best in the series, it's the only one on any consoles, and it doesn't assume you've played the others. Easily the best place to start IMO. The earlier games are smaller, simpler, and rougher (and not metroidvanias), but Momodora III at least is a good time if you're into old-fashioned platformers. III is $2 on Steam or itch.io (which gives the developer a bigger cut and gives you a Steam key anyway), and the first two games are free on itch.io.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
So the backgrounds are hand-painted and all characters and enemies are cel-shaded 3d models?

Momodora IV was a special game. I can enjoy a massive and overreaching metroidvania as well, but there is something immensely satisfying about a succinct take on the genre, like Momodora, that cuts down on the repetition and presents unique graphics, music, and challenges at every turn throughout the journey.
Momodora IV is a perfect example of a "scratch the itch" kind of game that doesn't overstay its welcome. I think Switch owners will really dig it.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reverie Under the Moonlight is a fantastic game. The pacing, the FEEL. There isn't a better way to put it, but the artstyle and playerfeedback from jumping to the melee is extremely satisfying. It's a LITTLE metroidvania, with a dark souls edge. It's amazing.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Day one. Loved Momodora on PC. My only complain is the rolling for evade.... I prefer a more cooler animation like Hollow Knight, Bloodborne ...

OP
OP
Dascu

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Release date announced: 27 August on Steam/PC. I assume Switch version will be announced and released later.