• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Of course from every other gaming period too, please excuse my clumsy attempt at working that ERA into the title. A glorious thread that overly deserves its comeback, we've all had these sprites in our early gaming years that we always misinterpreted and only found out later what they're supposed to look like. This is the place to post them.

the_legend_of_zelda___a_link_to_the_past___agahnim_by_the_blue_pirate-d64ynpx.jpg

Obligatory famous example is that weird Agahnim sprite, but who's to blame when it looks pretty much nothing like the official artwork?

But here's my personal take from my childhood. Back at the time, Secret of Mana was THE Super NES Game for me (it still is, lol). But I misinterpreted quite some sprites, with the most glorious misinterpretation of mine probably being Jema:

juekc9.jpg

Apparently, re-using the same color due to palette restrictions was not a concept that I was aware of back then (I was 5-ish, tbf). So when his armor and his hair used the same tone, in my mind they were combined somehow. I found out quickly how I was wrong, because there's an official artwork in the manual, and I was very confused about it. I knew how he was supposed to be seen from that point on, but to this day, I have a hard time seeing a beard in his sprite. It's still some kind of facial mask/gas mask.

Another hilarious example: Watts.

2pqtiwy.jpg

I never saw that face underneath the skull. Never! His beard was part of his attire, too, and the eyes I somehow completely ignored. For me, his entire head was simply hidden under the skull. By now, I see the "real" thing, but I can also see it the way I originally saw it. There are others in that game, too. What about you people?

Ickerday

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man this is hilarious, too bad I wasn't born in the 8/16 eras.
PSX games were capable of this too though.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I can't recall any off the top of my head besides Agahnim. I totally saw it that way, too.

IIRC, Mario's mustache was added to the "Jumpman" sprite in Donkey Kong to help communicate visually that his nose was a nose, since it otherwise looked like he had a really long face. So that's a case of this problem being recognized and solved before it became an issue.

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another Secret of Mana one: Sage Luka
7V4lvRE.jpg

For a while, I thought her face was a big, ugly nose; her chin was her mouth, and her chest was her chin.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
9zK9cgQ.gif
zfeVEpy.gif

I'm not so sure that's supposed to be Agahnim's face. In official art, he has cloth over his mouth, so it's probably supposed to be that.

aJAxXnO.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gifmaker

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another Secret of Mana one: Sage Luka
7V4lvRE.jpg

For a while, I thought her face was a big, ugly nose; her chin was her mouth, and her chest was her chin.
It took me about a minute to see it how you described it, but then I literally burst out laughing. Looking at her that way really makes her look ridiculous. That's a hilarious example!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Emperor%20Gestahl%20(Front).gif

Have the smallest of image! This Emperor Gestahl from Final Fantasy VI, i always thought his sprite looked like some dog with long ear. Funny enough, a few patches ago in FFXIV they released a minion of a dog called gestahl, so i guess it was a common mistake back then!

f1f5ccb0.jpg

The minion in question in XIV.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
That's awesome. I know there are plenty of sprites I've made out in unintended ways over the years. Love how you (TC) were able to illustrate it like that.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So, no one's gonna post the Pokey sprite from Earthbound?

OP
OP
Gifmaker

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, I've got another one. I swear, Secret of Mana is a treasure trove for this kind of thing. Great sprite artwork, but often a bit on the abstract side for my young, easily impressed mind back then.

I give to you the Mantis Ant. It was so much more interesting in my head back then:

o86neq.jpg

onion

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought the cities below fzero on the SNES were just holes in the road showing exposed power cables (sorry on iPhone so no pics)

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Have the smallest of image! This Emperor Gestahl from Final Fantasy VI, i always thought his sprite looked like some dog with long ear. Funny enough, a few patches ago in FFXIV they released a minion of a dog called gestahl, so i guess it was a common mistake back then!

f1f5ccb0.jpg

LOL I always saw Gestahl as a dog too

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh I love threads like this

latest

I always saw his arm as a grinning mouth. Doesn't help that every larger bullet enemy actually does have a mouth, and in Mario 64 he also has a mouth. I don't think I realised it was an arm until the DS remake

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Okay, I've got another one. I swear, Secret of Mana is a treasure trove for this kind of thing. Great sprite artwork, but often a bit on the abstract side for my young, easily impressed mind back then.

I give to you the Mantis Ant. It was so much more interesting in my head back then:

o86neq.jpg
This is actually much cooler than the official design.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Mega_Man_X_Enemy_Vile_armor.png

Vile, Mega Man X. I used to think the cannon was his face and he had a long mechanical snout thing. I'm not sure how I arrived at that conclusion, but some of his sprites sort of support it

TAxWrmD.gif

See the yellow part of his shoulder/helmet? I used to see that as his eye, with a sort of maniacal look and his mouth sort of open, and his arm cannon was like a snout/nose thing. I was REALLY young when I played this game for the first time, so my perception of it was weird. His actual design (Boba Fett but purple) is cooler, but the way I saw him back then was way more intimidating and monstrous

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Agahnim is such an awful sprite. He'll always be a green-haired doofus to me.

I also saw Shadow as a googles-wearing man, despite his menu character art lol.

I guess the lesson here is to not give 16-bit sprites overdesigned ornaments on their foreheads.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
some of you have really weird imagination!

i don't think i ever mis-seen a sprite... but i'd be happy to be proved otherwise in this thread, hope to see some good shit!

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017

f1f5ccb0.jpg

I dare say this is what the large majority saw.

Also agree with Shadow's goggles, and these guys are humanoid moles in robots:

9-ffvi_028.png

GarrettB

Oct 27, 2017

latest

I always saw his arm as a grinning mouth. Doesn't help that every larger bullet enemy actually does have a mouth, and in Mario 64 he also has a mouth. I don't think I realised it was an arm until the DS remake
Oh wow, I've never noticed this. I feel dumb that I didn't put it together like you.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

latest

I still view it as a mouth unless I catch myself, honestly. One thing I'm glad NSMB did was make it so they wiggle slightly as they fly, giving the arms a bit of perspective.