• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man has soccer, Mario has karting. Many franchises, to varying degrees of success, have had spin-offs that either change the genre of game-play, or focus on side characters. As I understand it, the Persona franchise started as a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off, so in addition to getting more out of an existing fanbase, we've seen that they really have the opportunity to create an all new one as well.

Sometimes, it seems so obvious that there should be a spin-off of a certain franchise, but it just simply doesn't exist. This thread is for those pitches that we've seen time and time again, and haven't come to fruition.

I'll keep this OP focused on one franchise with many options for spin-offs, and supplement the thread with other stuff after I've seen what other people are thinking.

Halo - Microsof't's self proclaimed Star Wars. Or, it could be. In terms of toys, comics, books, etc, sure, Halo feels very Star Wars esque in it's expansiveness in multimedia, ironically, everywhere except games. That's not to say there aren't any spin-offs. There's a decent amount. 2 RTS games, 2 Mobile games, an expansion-pack turned spin-off, and a prequel on the scale of the numbered entries. Yet, this still feels shallow to me.

How is there not a horror Halo game? Between the Flood-themed Halo Wars 2 expansion, and a fake leak that gained some traction - It's clear that there's a demand, if not expectation for something like this. Maybe post-Infinite, we'll start to see more output from the Halo brand again after they find their footing, but it's long overdue in my eyes.

leak-halo.jpg
hw2_header_atn_dlc-fcaeac1d1b5549949918a4fa2bcaa6cc.png

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we had gotten a Halo RPG set between Halo 3 and 4. You could be an ONI agent or something.

Last edited:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm actually shook that there isn't a proper current-gen iteration of a Marvel-only fighting game in the same vein as Injustice (that's NOT like the Imperfects).
Kirby Crystal Shards sequel? How are they not going to take advantage of one of the best Kirby game mechanic of all time and expand on it?!

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Toad-esque game but you play as Nabbit and it's a stealth game.

Not my idea, stole it from someone on Era I think.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
A spin-off with a Street Fighter character would have been nice. We got Cannon Spike, but does anyone remember that?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
While not a missed opportunity for a franchise specifically (because Darkstalkers is beyond dead), I'm surprised that Capcom doesn't do more with Morrigan than throw her in as an obligatory crossover character. She's wildly popular in a way that Darkstalkers never was, but she's only allowed to show up in ______ vs Capcom and Teppen.

Street Fighter's no stranger to supernatural stuff. Throw her in there! Make her a costume in MHW! Give her her own game! Do something other than crossover games and expensive figures for perverts.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I told myself from 10 years ago that there's still no Sheik action game, I'd be so fucking disappointed.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
It's just crazy that we never received a full stand alone spinoff game of raising Chao. There were several opportunities throughout the past decade to do so such as the DS boom and the pre-gatcha boom mobile market.

not very long running, but how is there still no splatoon rhythm game?
Splatoon is ripe for a lot of various genre spinoffs such as a full platformer, tactical RPG, rhythm like you mentioned, etc. I guess it's still "too fresh"(no pun intended) for Nintendo?

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how Capcom hasn't made Mercenaries spinoff from Resident Evil besides the 1 halfassed attempt on 3DS.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon is ripe for a lot of various genre spinoffs such as a full platformer, tactical RPG, rhythm like you mentioned, etc. I guess it's still "too fresh"(no pun intended) for Nintendo?
with splatoon 3 surely being a switch 2 title, i'd be shocked if they let the series go that long without a new title. i think the chances of a spin off on switch are very high.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Building on Digimon Card Battle and Pokemon Pinball.

Both are fantastic games never were loved but that notion was never picked up

Oct 25, 2017
A Final Fantasy character action game. Preferably starring Tifa and developed by Platinum.

A dedicated Mercs and/or Raid Resident Evil for consoles.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Not long running but I've been interested with the ideas of seeing a Rocket League spinoff. I've likened it before to having a game like Mario Kart or Trackmania, but what I really want is a game with a platforming basis.

While I'm cheating on the thread, I was just a few minutes ago thinking it's weird that Final Fantasy doesn't have more media spinoffs like manga and anime in the worlds of various games. I think they did some of this in the 90s? And I know there's like a light novel or something in FFXverse.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Doom guy + chainsaw + character action game.

Call it Doom: Rip and Tear

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of federation force, just think of a more main line-ish federation spinoff that is halo reach like.

Or a ridley character action game.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that they never made a standalone Resident Evil Mercenaries game for PC/consoles, just that one on 3DS. Even if it just included/remixed/expanded the stuff from prior games.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Snap and Mario Paint on Wii U, a new Mario Tennis and Mario Golf on Wii. Those not happening will always be baffling to me.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio's Captain Falcon action RPG/racing game.

Fully 3D Kirby

A narrative focused Overwatch game in literally any genre. Could be a visual novel or a sprite-based RPG, just something.

Assassin's Creed: Ivalice (this makes people mad every time I suggest it but I still contest it could be really good and fitting)

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that PC game: Evil Genius?

Where you build up a base that is constantly being infiltrated by spys or secret agents to take you out?

Well, take that formula and apply it to fucking anything.

Metroid for instance. You're now a space pirate, you have a planet to carve a lair out of. You even have some indigenous life to weaponize. And you have various bounty hunters coming at you to vanquish.

Or imagine a reverse of Mario Maker. Where you play as Bowser, and you have a budget to build a level with to try to stop Mario as long as possible. (The Story mode we should have gotten)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Spinoff with Lady from DMC.
Gun-Fu up the ass, customization and mix of horror.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell isn't RGG Studio making a Yakuza bancho spinoff with young Kiryu-Majima-Nishiki in high school?

That shit would sell like hot cakes.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
I've been waiting for a third person action adventure ODST game since halo chronicles and legends. Like a cinematic ghost recon style ODST spin off