• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I can't stop listening to these ever since i saw the movie on Imax last evening

Oh my god yes, the score for this movie was soooooo good.

Loved the movie so much, the build up and music right before the car chase was straight chills. Serious Dark Knight vibes.
The stunts are all incredible. McQuarrie just gets these movies. The London rooftop chase, there is one longer take that pans around Cruise when he is running, keeping Cruise in the left part of the frame. As the music swelled I seriously teared up. This is what I want out of an action/mission impossible movie, and he delivered on every facet.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
37931468_10156507025229798_7866300329963290624_n.jpg

Pretty much all I need to say about how amazing the movie was.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like Rogue Nation all that much, but McQuarrie directed the fuck out of this. Ghost Protocol is still my favorite, with Fallout a very close second. Also, I was really surprised at how good the music was and, I don't know if this is because I was high when I watched, but I was amazed at how good all the scenes in the mountains looked. Everything was much brighter and clearer (I also watched in an AMC Dolby theater, so that might've had something to do with it, too).

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved it. Up there with Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation as my favorites.

Fun watching it with a good crowd too. Walker eating that hook provided the biggest reaction of the movie

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so Tom Cruise was underwater that whole time for that scene in Rogue Nation? Looking at BTS vids it seems like it. Why does it look so fake?

Kind of like the HALO jump in this - if I didn't see him doing it for real later, I would have thought it switched to CG or effects for the oxygen switch part. Looked fake in the theater. But maybe that's because I'm used to it being fake? An opposite uncanny valley?

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Tom Cruise was underwater that whole time for that scene in Rogue Nation? Looking at BTS vids it seems like it. Why does it look so fake?

Kind of like the HALO jump in this - if I didn't see him doing it for real later, I would have thought it switched to CG or effects for the oxygen switch part. Looked fake in the theater. But maybe that's because I'm used to it being fake? An opposite uncanny valley?

Lol, we have been trained to assume CGI until proven real.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god yes, the score for this movie was soooooo good.

Loved the movie so much, the build up and music right before the car chase was straight chills. Serious Dark Knight vibes.
The stunts are all incredible. McQuarrie just gets these movies. The London rooftop chase, there is one longer take that pans around Cruise when he is running, keeping Cruise in the left part of the frame. As the music swelled I seriously teared up. This is what I want out of an action/mission impossible movie, and he delivered on every facet.

The rooftop sprint and on run he does on the ground, lord the movie was so good!

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing movie. Up there as one of the best action movies ever. Never a dull moment in a 2hr30min movie. Cruise is a crazy motherfucker and i love it.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017

I think part of the reason why some of you think it's CGI and not an actual practical stunt, is they end up adding cgi elements to fit the narrative. In Fallout the cgi elements were the clouds and the lightning. I was just blown away watching the halo jump, as it was revealed way back that he did it himself :)

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think part of the reason why some of you think it's CGI and not an actual practical stunt, is they end up adding cgi elements to fit the narrative. In Fallout the cgi elements were the clouds and the lightning. I was just blown away watching the halo jump, as it was revealed way back that he did it himself :)
The reason people think it's CGI is because nobody is crazy to jump out of a plane for a movie scene in this day and age... unless you are motherfvcking Tom Cruise the man the legend.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was Lark. He wanted great suffering to bring great peace.

They said this like 5 times throughout the movie, how did you not catch this lol

It was unclear to me whether the manifesto read at the beginning of the film was from Lark, the Syndicate, or if they both just happened to have the same philosophy and were teaming up as a common interest.

What is the Syndicate's goal or purpose?

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this film. Ironically the most unbelievable part is Cavill being able to write a manifesto.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah I was disappointed that the HALO jump had CGI lightning and cloudy skies, and obviously they had to CGI the Paris landscape. It would have been amazing enough without any CGI though, as the BTS stuff shows.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was disappointed that the HALO jump had CGI lightning and cloudy skies, and obviously they had to CGI the Paris landscape. It would have been amazing enough without any CGI though, as the BTS stuff shows.
I have no issues with needing cg but it's so cheaply done in the jump that it takes away from the actual jump with all the motion blur and the clouds. It's still a great scene but less would've been more in that scene

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyable movie, but I have a feeling that just like Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol, all I will remember in a week is the signature stunt piece.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn I adored this movie. I thought they did a good job of pulling out of the spiral once Walker got stung. Like every person in that basement had a double-cross secret plan... But once they got that out of their system, the plot was blissfully straightforward through the end.

I loved the confidence of the extended action scene of just Tom Cruise running. So lofi compared to the rest, but still thrilling.

Only thing I didn't love was nuMax. Woulda been nice to have some sexy older lady intrigue again.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love how they used Michelle Monaghan in the movie as well. Every scene with her and Cruise was just fantastic. Her immediate joy at seeing him to immediately turning to dread when she sees Benji and Luther as well and realized they didn't expect to see her there was great. Then the ending with Cruise apologizing, of all things, for ruining her life?

I really think the emotional stakes in this one make it the best in the series for me.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
wow that was great!

everything down to the music was pitch perfect

so glad the built on the other movies and really give the crew more moments.

i didn't think they'd smartly evolve his relationship with his ex wife but they nailed it.
also, i would love an Ilsa solo movie.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait wait, I assumed the whole underwater shit was CGI in rogue nation, god damn.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how they used Michelle Monaghan in the movie as well. Every scene with her and Cruise was just fantastic. Her immediate joy at seeing him to immediately turning to dread when she sees Benji and Luther as well and realized they didn't expect to see her there was great. Then the ending with Cruise apologizing, of all things, for ruining her life?

I really think the emotional stakes in this one make it the best in the series for me.

Yeah. Her being there was a bit contrived but it was definitely worth it.

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
I saw this today and in terms of just pure action, it's the best action film I've seen since Mad Max: Fury Road. Superb cinematography (dat one-shot HALO jump) and beautifully edited, lots of wide shots where you can see clearly what's in the frame. I loved the bike/car chase in Paris, that was brilliantly intense to watch. Hell, all of the action sequences were tense as fuck, lol. Definitely the best in the series.

Also need that 4K Blu-Ray now pls

The Cruise Missile never lets up.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I don't think I've seen any of the MI films after MI2 but I liked this. The stuff with the helicopters started going into the realms of fantasy when they were both still standing after the crashes which took me out of the film a little but the rest was good.

Oct 25, 2017
Right so... the whole smallpox operation was just to lure her to Kashmir? Or else... they chose ground zero based on where she'd be?
They released smallpox in the area, then gave her foundation money to work in the area but with the catch that it had to be her unit doing the work. That's how they got her there.

Like posted above, the endgame was twofold: to get revenge on Ethan and to poison the water of 1/3 of the earth's population

Mimosa97

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this today and in terms of just pure action, it's the best action film I've seen since Mad Max: Fury Road. Superb cinematography (dat one-shot HALO jump) and beautifully edited, lots of wide shots where you can see clearly what's in the frame. I loved the bike/car chase in Paris, that was brilliantly intense to watch. Hell, all of the action sequences were tense as fuck, lol. Definitely the best in the series.

Also need that 4K Blu-Ray now pls

The Cruise Missile never lets up.

My thought exactly. We've been fed trash cookie cutter blockbuster after trash cookie blockbuster for years now and Mission Impossible is the first blockbuster I've thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish since Mad Max. Great cinematography. Every action scene was perfectly designed and Cruise is a monster (too bad he's a loony)

I'm glad I went to watch it in Imax. Usually I can't sit for 2 hours without twitching in my seat and checking the time every 10 minutes but time flew by and I didn't even realize I had been sitting there for 2 hours and 30 minutes when the movie ended.