• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
1 is a good film. A little toned down compared to the madness of the later movies but a good film still.

2 is pretty bad. Watch it if you like cheesy action films. But honestly its skippable.

3 is pretty rad because it has the series best villain. Definitely should watch it.

I would say skip 2 and watch the rest.
I don't know why, but I just have it in my head that MI 1 is one of those really cheesy 90's action movies. The ones that just kind of blend together because they hit all the same notes. Just not a fan of 90's film in general.

I guess I may as well just buckle down and watch them all

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I don't know why, but I just have it in my head that MI 1 is one of those really cheesy 90's action movies. The ones that just kind of blend together because they hit all the same notes. Just not a fan of 90's film in general.

It's actually a pretty good thriller with barely any action. Ethan doesn't shoot anyone in the entire film.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. 1 is a genuinely smart, well made film. Definitely worth watching.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I wonder if this was a shot made for the trailer.

I'm guessing (pulling out my ass) it's after Ethan's chopper is damaged, and he flies low to avoid Walker's gunfire, avoids the truck by pulling up at the last moment, then the chopper chase continues. Something like that. The chopper sequence is long as it is, so McQuarrie and Cruise mercilessly cut it out.

I'm constantly amazed by the pair. Cruise risks his safety to do a random stunt like hanging from a wire above the Paris club, as seen in the trailer, and they cut it out, because it fucked up the momentum, or tone, or structure, either way they care deeply about storytelling.

I'm disappointed they didn't get McQuarrie to write the Jack Reacher sequel.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
wait, the white widow is max's daughter from the first movie? i must have missed that reveal

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nooooo not true at all. MI 1 is easily one of the best in the franchise. Essential viewing. MI 2 is the only one that can be skipped.

Vince_Jo1990

Jan 12, 2018
Just came out of theater and yeah...what a (motorcycle) ride!

Overall really strong movie, but I felt it was too long and at some points a little too extreme. The double/triple "cross" in the sewers felt a little bit too surreal, but still got me (though I suspected Pegg stayed with Cavill). What I really loved about the movie was the beginning until the bathroom scene, those segments were amazing. Then the motorcycle scene, which as much as I was impressed, was a little too long and...where the fuck are the police coming from? And how the fuck did the team knew he would fall exactly there at this time. Well not impossible, but everything seems to falls too wells sometimes in the movie.

After this the movie starts to slow down, especially the ending scenes. No way the timer was 15 minutes, just impossible and that final act was...yeah impossible also. A couple of trope in action movies (like the cable accroching on everything). Though I like the "fallout", nicely done.

So after all this trip, I see that they don't have as much inspiration as the other movies, so what could be next? Talking with my father I think the final place would but in space, like Ethan trying to get into a rocket before he doesn't any no more air and then need to return to earth xD

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like Cruise ran for half of the movie. And I was convinced that when Lane and Walker took off, that was the signal for the sequel but nooooooope, it kept going on where Cruise went super saiyan and flew a helicopter like a pro despite apparently never having flown one. Overall, solid MI but felt more built around action sequences then the other way around.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw it. Thought it was good. Don't think it's the best. Was disappointed in the lack of gadgets.

Dec 12, 2017
I just saw and really liked it. Ghost Protocol is still my favorite. Fallout really lacked a big heist/infiltration scene. It was pretty great nonetheless.

On a side note, Tom Cruise has to be be GOAT action star of all time at this point. He actually flew the chopper FFS. Insanity.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I like how after Hunt ran through/up/over? St Paul's Cathedral they showed it in the distance later in the chase to show how far he had run

Since they alluded to Max I thought it would have been awesome if they had taken the Eurostar from Paris to London lol

http://i./i/pix/2009/04/25/article-1173533-04A78465000005DC-553_468x286.jpg

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty amazing movie. My wife gasped, squealed and clutched at me throughout. I rewatched the trailers and looks like there were four scenes cut: swinging on a rope inside the Paris club, a fight outside the club, the team discovering dead guards outside the Kashmir camp, and the helicopter hitting the truck (I wonder if that was truly practical; I know Cruise actually flew the helicopter, and as scarily impressive as it was, it is edited to ramp up the tension. I can't imagine everyone is cool with, "Okay, Tom, now fly the helicopter into the truck."

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine if Ethan didn't get the key on time and in that shot with him on the mountainside, there's a large mushroom cloud explosion? I pictured it in my head and thought that would have been an amazing ending. Think Avengers but better

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine if Ethan didn't get the key on time and in that shot with him on the mountainside, there's a large mushroom cloud explosion? I pictured it in my head and thought that would have been an amazing ending. Think Avengers but better
In the end you had to know they would never lol. But if they somehow did it? Oh my...that'd go down in movie history I think
It worked in Avengers because Thanos is someone whose struggle you've been following throughout the movie, almost played like a protagonist's. Lane is just a crazy villain dude. Audience members are not going to walk out thinking "Oh my gosh! I can't believe Solomon Lane won!!!" as if that's like a memorable moment that a memorable character earns.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liked this but felt like they went overboard with plot twists and the helicopter scene. Theater was laughing after the choppers crashed because it kept getting more and more ridiculous lol
Did I get right that the CIA lady was hiring white widow whose plan was to kill dozens of innocent cops ? Seems pretty dark.

I would have liked if Hunt in the end said "yeah there was like a minute remaining on the countdown when I took the key out", would have been a good way to make fun of the "1s left on the bomb" trope.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
It worked in Avengers because Thanos is someone whose struggle you've been following throughout the movie, almost played like a protagonist's. Lane is just a crazy villain dude. Audience members are not going to walk out thinking "Oh my gosh! I can't believe Solomon Lane won!!!" as if that's like a memorable moment that a memorable character earns.

And lets not act like Thanos has 'won' in any shape or form. Sequels to Spider-Man Homecoming and Black Panther were already announced so it's not like we were never going to see those characters again. That's why the Avenger ending kinda fell flat for me.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Liked this but felt like they went overboard with plot twists and the helicopter scene. Theater was laughing after the choppers crashed because it kept getting more and more ridiculous lol
Did I get right that the CIA lady was hiring white widow whose plan was to kill dozens of innocent cops ? Seems pretty dark.

You mean at the end when she gave white widow the 'commission' for sending lane to MI6?

Well, her main job is as an arms broker while being a CIA informant. If they cared about guns killing innocents.....

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Empire's podcast with McQuarrie is available on soundcloud now. Part 1 is 3 hours long.

3. Hours.

Edit: this is so good, so much trivia and wisdom!

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I know jack shit about the Mission Impossible franchise (like the TV series and classic stuff and whatnot) but some parts of the soundtrack sounded like the first mission of that dreadful N64 game, the one in the snow and shit.

Tell me I'm not insane.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Empire's podcast with McQuarrie is available on soundcloud now. Part 1 is 3 hours long.

3. Hours.

Edit: this is so good, so much trivia and wisdom!

Thanks for the recommendation. I listened to McQuarrie's interview with Sean Fennesey which was great, so I'll definitely be giving this a listen.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know jack shit about the Mission Impossible franchise (like the TV series and classic stuff and whatnot) but some parts of the soundtrack sounded like the first mission of that dreadful N64 game, the one in the snow and shit.

Tell me I'm not insane.
I played this but that was 20y ago so I don't know lol

2:25 here ?

Can't really remember

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Max's daughter being a thing in this movie was so fucking magnificent and unexpected. As soon as I heard her name drop max I was like "that Max????".

Then low and behold, her acting and mannerisms were so similar to her mother. Amazing casting choice and a really nice touch of tying in the franchise roots to the present

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation. I listened to McQuarrie's interview with Sean Fennesey which was great, so I'll definitely be giving this a listen.

I'm an hour into it, and this is essential listening. McQuarrie addresses everything mentioned in this thread and more. Dude is such a smart director.

Edit: podcast confirms that when Ethan flies into the clouds, he ends up in the action scene involving the truck, but test audiences said the whole chopper sequence was too long, so it got cut.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

latest

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this movie. Probably my new favorite M:I film.

6 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 1 >>>>>>> 2

How many of these do you think Cruise has left in him? I can't possibly see him doing more than 1 or 2 before he hangs it up.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
anyone else think of indiana jones a lot during this?

emphasis on improvisation + "making this up as i go along" + ethan waving the martial arts guy in the bathroom to get a rest

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Finished the 3 hour Empire podcast with Chris McQuarrie at work today, essential listening! Some bits I can remember:

- McQuarrie has a couple hilarious anecdotes about Ving Rhames. I didn't know that Luther was originally going to die in MI:1 and he complained to Cruise about it, essentially saying "why does the brother always have to die?" It's thanks to Cruise that he survived, and has been in every subsequent sequel.

They briefly considered killing him off in this movie. Then McQuarrie floated the idea to Renner, he'd only need a couple days away from the Avengers to shoot a death scene, but Renner was like "nah" lol. Ultimately, Alec Baldwin's death was his own idea, he told McQuarrie he wanted to die in this movie saving Ethan.

The funniest moment while talking about Ving, is when McQuarrie describes Baldwin's death in the movie, and how Ving was telling McQuarrie how Luther barely interacted with Hunley and couldn't give a shit. Meanwhile Baldwin is lying on the ground, quipping how if they're ever in a scene where Ving plays a character that's dying, Baldwin's gonna look at his watch in boredom, lol.

- McQuarrie had a tense moment with Rebecca Furguson while directing the scene where she's looking at Ethan meeting Julia in Kashmir. She couldn't get what McQuarrie was asking of her, leading to rising frustration. His description of his conversation with her is really fascinating. Ultimately it kinda boiled down to her worrying that he was making her character out to be a 'girl', and he promised her he would never write Ilsa as if he was writing a girl or a man.

- This podcast is McQuarrie's first official explanation of the whole Henry Cavill moustache debacle. The podcast is pretty humorous throughout but he gets pretty serious during this segment, because he genuinely tried to help Warner Brothers out, but the circumstances couldn't allow it.

- Sean Harris hated the idea of being in a blockbuster franchise and was pissed off they didn't kill his character in Rogue Nation, lol. The way McQuarrie talks about it is hilarious.

- Lots of excellent points by McQuarrie on the story choices they made, and justifications on plot points or why things were cut out of the movie.

- Bit of banter about Cavill reloading his arms, very funny stuff. McQuarrie said he watched reaction videos of the trailer, and people are just watching the action scenes with no comment, but when Henry 'reloads' his arms they go wild, which bemused him. "Tom almost killed himself flying a chopper but you're going wild at Henry cocking his arms!?"

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Also worth noting- Cavill wasn't the original choice. Walker was going to be a much different role with a different actor lined up. That actor bailed because he was worried he would "look like a fool", so McQuarrie thought of Cavill because of his performance in UNCLE.

Only about an hour in, but great listen.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

emphasis on improvisation + "making this up as i go along" + ethan waving the martial arts guy in the bathroom to get a rest
My brother was saying how it was the best Uncharted movie we're ever going to get. That last helicopter sequence, with them tumbling off the cliff and getting wedged in the crack, was practically a proper live action Uncharted set-piece done with a massive budget

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Also worth noting- Cavill wasn't the original choice. Walker was going to be a much different role with a different actor lined up. That actor bailed because he was worried he would "look like a fool", so McQuarrie thought of Cavill because of his performance in UNCLE.

Only about an hour in, but great listen.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I'm curious who that was, I laughed at McQuarrie thanking him for bailing. "Henry and I thank you!"

I posted a FilmFour interview somewhere in this thread, where McQuarrie says that he's making a movie aimed at international audiences and so he constructed the story and characters in a way that's easy to understand despite how complex it can get, and Cruise is great at emoting without dialogue. This all reminds me of Indiana Jones too, a character who became an icon because of how easy it was to relate to him, Harrison Ford's silent acting in the middle of action scenes is legendary.