• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dancingcactus

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if it's intentional but the bathroom scene is a call out to the one in True Lies and the motorcycle chase reminds me of T2 chase (the framing of Cruise on the motorcycle) through the canal, both directed by Cameron.

I have to say the trailers have given away too much of the action pieces in the movie though.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it's intentional but the bathroom scene is a call out to the one in True Lies and the motorcycle chase reminds me of T2 chase (the framing of Cruise on the motorcycle) through the canal, both directed by Cameron.

I have to say the trailers have given away too much of the action pieces in the movie though.
The bathroom scene, maybe. The motorcycle chase has almost nothing in common with the T2 canal chase.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did this dude work under Zimmer? lol
source.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_Balfe#Discography

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Was rewatching the trailer and there's like a bunch of stuff that's not in the movie.

Like Ilsa walking toward a truck with dead body in Kashmir, or Ethan entering a bunker in Kashmir, or Ethan swinging over the night club, or the helicopter almost hitting a truck

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Could you imagine if Cruise made a movie with a late 90s Cameron?
Yeah. On day 2 Cruise would try to tell Cameron how to direct, Cameron would tell him to fuck off, he'll try to get Cameron fired, Cameron will refuse to work with him, production will be shut down, and some other director will step in to listen to Cruise dictate the movie he wants to be in.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah. On day 2 Cruise would try to tell Cameron how to direct, Cameron would tell him to fuck off, he'll try to get Cameron fired, Cameron will refuse to work with him, production will be shut down, and some other director will step in to listen to Cruise dictate the movie he wants to be in.

I want to see this behind the scenes movie.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Saw it yesterday. The action in this movie was fantastic, between that baller bathroom fight (Was anyone else rooting for Not Lark? He manhandled both of them) that sick car chase (that 360 pan of the cops closing in was so slick), a really clever foot chase, and an incredibly energetic helicopter chase (I hope they pull out some of those tricks they used for the Top Gun sequel). Like RN and GP, I doubt I'm going to remember the details of the plot, but in terms of pure technical spectacle the MI franchise remains strong as ever.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Cavil is an absolute unit.

The interrogation scene when they decide not to hand Ethan in was incredible too.

I love how MI films feel convoluted but they're not all that hard to parse if you're keeping up.

When the IMF director had the two guns I laughed. That was the perfect setup.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Cavil is an absolute unit.

The interrogation scene when they decide not to hand Ethan in was incredible too.

I love how MI films feel convoluted but they're not all that hard to parse if you're keeping up.

When the IMF director had the two guns I laughed. That was the perfect setup.

I was really sad to see Baldwin go, just when it seemed like he was a natural part of the unit.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Favourite insult of the movie:

Ethan: "Prick!"

When the guy ran out of ammo and went "SHIT" in the helicopter I laughed. He knew it was time to take Ethan on one on one and he was gonna lose.

"Why won't you just DIE?"

Man he's ETHAN HUNT that's why.

I was really sad to see Baldwin go, just when it seemed like he was a natural part of the unit.

Yeah especially after his speech in the beginning about why Ethan is a good agent for not getting lost and letting the ends justify the means.

Man the scene with the lady police officer really sold it. The "I'm so sorry" choked me up a bit.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Movie was incredible, some of those action scenes gave me serious anxiety. Was reading an interview that said Tom Cruise finished watching Fallout at the premiere and turned to Christopher and said "We can do better on the next one"....CANT WAIT

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like some kind of bizarre joke that they introduced Alec Baldwin only to kill him like 45 minutes later. What was the point in even hiring him?

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
Can there be a future for this series without Tom Cruise? Who would follow in his footsteps? Would it be Renner?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was in the last one as well, which I think makes him the longest-running IMF Secretary.
Huh. The audeince reacted like he was unexpected, and he kept saying stuff like "I think I'm going to like this job" or "Now I see why you guys like this so much" which leaves the impression he was a new addition.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Can there be a future for this series without Tom Cruise? Who would follow in his footsteps? Would it be Renner?
No one would follow in his footsteps. The only reason Mission Impossible ever existed as a film series is because Tom Cruise really liked the concept and wanted to use it to build a stunt franchise around himself. He is the main producer and lead star, he is the one who picks directors and writers, he is the one who decides to keep making them.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
No one would follow in his footsteps. The only reason Mission Impossible ever existed as a film series is because Tom Cruise really liked the concept and wanted to use it to build a stunt franchise around himself. He is the main producer and lead star, he is the one who picks directors and writers, he is the one who decides to keep making them.
Well yeah, but I don't believe for a second though that when Cruise is done mission impossible is done

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
He was in the last one as well, which I think makes him the longest-running IMF Secretary.

Lol true

It's funny that they're 6 movies in and they're just now trying to build a true multi-movie evolving narrative. Yeah yeah Benji and Luther were around, but I'm talking about recurring plot points and conflicts that extend beyond stopping one-time bad guys.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
It feels like some kind of bizarre joke that they introduced Alec Baldwin only to kill him like 45 minutes later. What was the point in even hiring him?

He had a fairly big role in Rogue Nation though. I assume he wanted out of the franchise what with his other commitments and Basset was cool taking over.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite action movies ever and my favorite MI to date. I'm a sucker for these action/spy films and this hit all the right points for me. Although, one day, I would love to see a 007/MI crossover. That would be amazing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could absolutely continue Mission Impossible without Tom Cruise. They would slowly re-tool it to work with an ensemble cast that has broad international appeal, instead of "Here's a Tom Cruise movie with 15 minutes of some character actors from the previous film".

MI could work as a sort of Fast & Furious series centered around practical stunts and spy intrigue. I suspect that Tom Cruise will probably not want to go that direction though.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
I could possibly see Cruise being some kind of IMF head or something when he finally is too old to do all the crazy shit he puts himself through, that way he stays in the universe

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
When Cruise gets too old to carry on with the franchise I'd like to see it retired. This is his franchise, through and through and I don't much care about seeing it continue without him.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
I noticed there's quite a bit of scenes that didn't make it into the movie from the trailers, like Cruise swinging in the palace and those dead russian troops at the outpost

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Renner's time to shine.

Now that I think of it, Renner didn't really do much in MI5 outside of the scene with the Prime Minister - which was pretty much just talking in a room.

Rogue Nation mostly had Renner as comedic relief alongside Luther.

Here they ditched Renner and upped the Luther content. Preferable.

Nice set of interviews.

I like that McQuarrie realizes the appeal of switching the director each outing. But I can't complain about how returning for Fallout given out great it turned out. Wouldn't be against him returning for MI7.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. The audeince reacted like he was unexpected, and he kept saying stuff like "I think I'm going to like this job" or "Now I see why you guys like this so much" which leaves the impression he was a new addition.

He was new in the last one. This was probably his first time in the field.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Lol true

It's funny that they're 6 movies in and they're just now trying to build a true multi-movie evolving narrative. Yeah yeah Benji and Luther were around, but I'm talking about recurring plot points and conflicts that extend beyond stopping one-time bad guys.

Personally I hope they curtail that.

What imo makes M:I work and relatively special is its episodic style... even this one was pushing serialization too much

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. It was my first MI movie. Really enjoyed it, that was one action ass action movie. I could follow the character relationships well despite not seeing the previous ones.

It's hard to believe that Tom did all of those stunts. That helicopter scene was insane if it was all practical effects.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it yesterday. The action in this movie was fantastic, between that baller bathroom fight (Was anyone else rooting for Not Lark? He manhandled both of them) that sick car chase (that 360 pan of the cops closing in was so slick), a really clever foot chase, and an incredibly energetic helicopter chase (I hope they pull out some of those tricks they used for the Top Gun sequel). Like RN and GP, I doubt I'm going to remember the details of the plot, but in terms of pure technical spectacle the MI franchise remains strong as ever.
I was, reminded me of Riggs and Murtaugh getting their butts handed to them by Jet Li in Lethal Weapon 4. Hated they have to be saved by a gun.

Oct 25, 2017
So was Not Lark specifically chosen by Walker to convince Ethan that that was Lark or was he literally just some guy that happened to be able to 2v1 them?

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saw it at an advanced screen yesterday and it was fucking amazing (although not "the best action movie of all time", this hyperbole BS really has to stop).

I wanna go see it again.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it at an advanced screen yesterday and it was fucking amazing (although not "the best action movie of all time", this hyperbole BS really has to stop).

I wanna go see it again.
It is, without hyperbole, in my top 5 action films of all time :P

I've seen it twice already, and have tix to go again on Tuesday.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017