• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
So was Not Lark specifically chosen by Walker to convince Ethan that that was Lark or was he literally just some guy that happened to be able to 2v1 them?
Walker explains his whole plan to Angela Basset when he's trying to convince her that Ethan is Lark, except, of course, he claims that this is what he thinks Ethan is doing. The guy in the bathroom was paid to pose as Lark, with Walker planning to kill him and thus make it look like there was no more Lark.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Walker explains his whole plan to Angela Basset when he's trying to convince her that Ethan is Lark, except, of course, he claims that this is what he thinks Ethan is doing. The guy in the bathroom was paid to pose as Lark, with Walker planning to kill him and thus make it look like there was no more Lark.
Should have hired someone a tad less formidable. It was like the subway fight in Fast and Furious 6 with Han and Tyrese. :)

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
just saw it, yeh it's really the tom cruise stunt show, i still prefered rogue nation over this, but it's insane how much he's risking for a film here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
One of the other things that makes Mission Impossible really work, besides each movie more or less being good enough in the writing and story department, is that they give it 3-5 years in between each one. That gives you enough time to enjoy them, rewatch as needed, have your friends get into it, get on netflix/TV/etc so everyone can go back and catch up, and enough time that you eagerly anticipate the next one. Fast and the Furious was doing that as well, up until next year when they are going to start doing spin offs.

Star Wars could definitely learn from it, putting out a new movie every year may work for MCU and maybe Harry Potter but fairly small-universe, specific character movies need 3-4 years in between each one.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the most low effort OP's I think I've ever seen on this site.
Really?

The image isn't even a link to anything which might have made it just a wee bit more informational. Should be bannable to make an OT so inadequate, tbqh.

Anyways, I've always enjoyed the Mission Impossible movies and from the few sites/reviews I've glanced at people are ranking it close to or at the top. I'm excited to watch this. Now I'm going to dip out of the god awful made thread for fear of being spoiled but Radec should be ashamed of himself for such a low effort for such a great franchise.

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
You should be ashamed of yourself for giving so much of a shit about an opening post on a forum lmao

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was great. Tom getting old ;___;

You should be ashamed of yourself for giving so much of a shit about an opening post on a forum lmao
Right???

Like dude, no one gives a shit, and the thread will continue despite your godawful self-important attention seeking attitude. If you care that much PM a mod and they'll probably chuckle too.

Edit: he confused Bronson, I'm rolling lmao

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Really?

The image isn't even a link to anything which might have made it just a wee bit more informational. Should be bannable to make an OT so inadequate, tbqh.

What, why?

It's a movie OT, you could say 'hey throw the trailer in the OP', sure, but that's about it, we all know why we're here

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Really?

Anyways, I've always enjoyed the Mission Impossible movies and from the few sites/reviews I've glanced at people are ranking it close to or at the top. I'm excited to watch this. Now I'm going to dip out of the god awful made thread for fear of being spoiled but Radec should be ashamed of himself for such a low effort for such a great franchise.
Lol. I never looked at the first page but that is rough. At least it says the Meta Critic and Rotten Tomato scores.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely enjoyed the film, just got out of a full showing. The typical mission impossible formula, but like the best comfortable foods it always satisfies.

Cavill was great, the fighting was visceral the stunts incredible and I felt in the edge of my seat several times. This or number 4 are my favs.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What, why?

It's a movie OT, you could say 'hey throw the trailer in the OP', sure, but that's about it, we all know why we're here
Dude, it's essentially a movie poster on a message board. Is it honestly too much to ask that an opening post at least have a little more information than I would get sitting at a bus stop? There isn't even an opening date. I really don't think it's too much to ask.

Can you please tell us if they clicked that report button on OP. Lmao
Come on I'm not that petty.

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think one of the strong points of this film is that it does a good job of showing the answer to that question "what is it that makes Ethan Hunt so special compared to all of the other spies?" It's that he finds losses unacceptable, even if it's just one life, and it's why he's able to take on impossible missions.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this.

Movie is objectively great but I leave the theater really disappointed.

Let me explain.

1) Walker
"oh wow the guy that had a dark side was in fact the evil traitor all along"

Walker was one the coolest, funniest, and most awesome character in the entire franchise. He also offered something this franchise has lacked for a long time, moral ambiguity.

They threw all of that away to turn him into some forgettable generic Douche McEvil.

The original dynamic between Tom and Henry was so good. I couldn't wait to see two ideologies confront each other, especially on the same side.

The second he reveals he's evil it's like they tried their hardest to fit every single "villain trope" they could think of. I'm not kidding :

- gets outsmarted by the heroes twice in a row
- kills a familiar tertiary character cause can't kill any main or secondary ones
- threatens the hero's girlfriend
- comes up with a shitty plan involving bombs that can't be defused***
- Is literally unable to do anything he wants, whether it's punch, shoot, aim
- gets half disfigured randomly to show he's really evil
- hangs on a cliff with the hero in dramatic fashion
- dies after one movie

2) The villain's plan

The whole "HAHAHAHAHAHA OUR BOMBS ARE UNSTOPPABLE* !!!!
*unless you get the detonator"

Just no. Nobody forced them to write the story like that, come up with something more interesting than this.
The whole two bombs thing felt so unnecessary and at this point you can tell they have no idea what to do with the team so they just add this kind of stuff to divide the screentime.

3) The final fight

I have to assume this was shot after Tom broke his leg and they couldn't get as physical as they wanted.

but we went from one of the absolute top 5 best fight sequence of all time in the bathroom, to a terrible sloppy "fight".

That was literally the only thing to look forward to after Walker was turned into a generic villain, seeing Cruise and Cavill beat the shit out of each other, and that did NOT deliver.

4) The lack of adventure

So because of the relentless pacing, the characters rarely have time to breathe (and no dropping exposition, to the audience or other characters, isn't the same), get used to the new settings etc... Something Ghost Protocol and the first MI did really well.
I feel like it hurts the movie a little, but that's a minor nitpick.

So all that left me really a bit sour.

But holy shit the first half is an all time high.

Visually has some mind blowing stuff. Henry stole the show before they ruined him. I was already imagining sequels with him =( ...

Cruise runs were amazing.

It's a great flick, I'm just a bit disappointed, probably too high expectations. But really just disappointed they ruined Henry permanently. :(

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Dude, it's essentially a movie poster on a message board. Is it honestly too much to ask that an opening post at least have a little more information than I would get sitting at a bus stop? There isn't even an opening date. I really don't think it's too much to ask.

I'm not banning someone for that

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta love the American bond series and could easily see Dwayne the Rock Johnson staring in the next Mission Impossible if Cruise decides to move on.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not banning someone for that
Yea, I know. It was an over the top joke. I figured that would obvious as people post shit like that all the time.

edit - it's still a shitty op. not expecting bruceleeroy MGS quality here but a date and maybe a link to a trailer and review or two would be cool.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, he says the shots are in the movie but I'm so glad they didn't do that, they kept it one whole sequence that doesn't cut away and it makes the scene so impressive.

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest complaint with the movie was Cavil. His delivery with a lot of the lines felt flat as if he was just reading it off the script. Very noticeable to me in any scene with him and Cruise.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The third act was insane. Great movie. Loved it.

Wonder how many more of these Cruise has in him.
How old is he? If next one gonna take 4 or so years to make I don't think the one after it is viable for him as much as he's crazy there's a limit to how much you can push your body doing shit like this

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Just came out from the theater, this is the best Uncharted movie we'll ever gonna get and my new favourite Mission Impossible movie by far. Also one of the best action movies ever, pure entertainment.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How old is he? If next one gonna take 4 or so years to make I don't think the one after it is viable for him as much as he's crazy there's a limit to how much you can push your body doing shit like this

Dude is 56. I agree that he only reasonably has one more left. So it'll likely be two or three before he stops.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Really good flick. Thought it was too obvious Lark was Walker but didn't really hurt the film. MI is all about double crosses and latex masks after all. Hope Boyle and Bond bring their A game but I doubt it.

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. Some of the dialogue and acting was rough. I'll chalk it up to bad writing as I know the actors can all act. It reminds me of the SW prequels. But man, the casting was excellent and action scenes, especially the chase scenes were top notch. That's elite level camera work right there. I highly enjoyed it. They keep delivering great MI movies so I imagine the franchise will be around for a very long time.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really good flick. Thought it was too obvious Lark was Walker but didn't really hurt the film. MI is all about double crosses and latex masks after all. Hope Boyle and Bond bring their A game but I doubt it.

Pretty sure it was supposed to be obvious to the audience from the point he handed over the phone. It created tension in every scene with him because the question was when he'd make his move.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the last Mission Impossible was more Bond than most of the recent Bond films. I really loved it. The fact that this one was all about Solomon Lane again, made it feel more like tying up loose ends from the last one rather than a new movie. Also, the locations were boring, and I've seen a million motorcycle and helicopter chases so I wasn't wowed.
Disagree. The motorcycle chase was the highlight of the film for me because of just how well it was staged and blocked.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Best chases since Fury Road easily (and action in general). I think I prefer the helicopter chase to the motorcycle chase by a hair maybe, but both were white-knucklers. The sense of speed and near misses was insane.

The setting was great too, a great use of vertical lines from beautiful architecture to give the film a claustrophobic yet elegant atmosphere. The amber color palette, and cinematography in general, is easily the best in the series since the first one.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the set pieces were superb

But I also enjoyed the scene when he saves the French policewoman, something about the combination of the four efficient shots and the compassion of it - works for me