• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
So how was regular 3D, worth it or not? Going to cinema on Monday and deciding if 2D or 3D (not reading through thread to avoid spoilers). Thanks Era!

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
So how was regular 3D, worth it or not? Going to cinema on Monday and deciding if 2D or 3D (not reading through thread to avoid spoilers). Thanks Era!

i saw both, and i think the 3d was of negligible use. i thought it made the colors a bit dimmer. i would recommend saving the money and seeing 2d.

this is not to disparage the film itself, which was awesome either way. if you really like 3d maybe it will be worth it to you. i'm ambivalent about 3d and think it's rarely additive, so take that for what it's worth.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved almost everything about this movie. Tom Cruise is a legend with these stunts he's doing. I adore the MI series, at least 3-6.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just how hot is vanessa kirby

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Saw it last night with someone who hadnt seen any MI before, which was interesting to see their reaction. We both really enjoyed it. It's definitely the first of these movies to go for such heavy laden dramatism, which made an emotional payoff Ive never gotten out of these movies, at least since MI3. However, I think the price to pay for that payoff was rewatchability. I can see this movie feeling like overly long and dragged out, especially during the Paris scenes. Still, I really liked it a lot, and it's definitely contending with GP for my favorite, and it's well over Rogue Nation.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Bit tangential, but I've never seen a Mission Impossible film and am wondering where to start. Should I just start from the first, and watch them all in order?

I worry that they won't hold up. Will probably be watching them with my girlfriend too, who loves action but has little tolerance for dated and cheesy films.

Dec 12, 2017
Bit tangential, but I've never seen a Mission Impossible film and am wondering where to start. Should I just start from the first, and watch them all in order?

I worry that they won't hold up. Will probably be watching them with my girlfriend too, who loves action but has little tolerance for dated and cheesy films.
I would start with MI3. It's story plays a huge role in Fallout

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017

Well, the only cheese one is 2 I guess, 1 was almost a non action drama thriller compqred to the recent ones.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Saw it last night with someone who hadnt seen any MI before, which was interesting to see their reaction. We both really enjoyed it. It's definitely the first of these movies to go for such heavy laden dramatism, which made an emotional payoff Ive never gotten out of these movies, at least since MI3. However, I think the price to pay for that payoff was rewatchability. I can see this movie feeling like overly long and dragged out, especially during the Paris scenes. Still, I really liked it a lot, and it's definitely contending with GP for my favorite, and it's well over Rogue Nation.
I almost fell asleep watching Isla follow Ethen through Paris yeah.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
1 is still the best IMO, its not an action movie at all but the spy stuff hasn't been topped since, and the ending train sequence is still fucking amazing.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
In the Empire podcast linked earlier in the thread, one of McQuarrie's intentions was to make the movie stand alone, due to it being aimed at a massive demographic of movie 'casuals' who don't post on forums like us nerds. So, despite being part of a franchise, you can still just watch this movie without having seen any of the others, you're not going to be confused or lost. It's actually a tough task, to avoid exposition explaining the relationship between Ethan and Julia/Ilsa, but he manages it pretty deftly.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
In the Empire podcast linked earlier in the thread, one of McQuarrie's intentions was to make the movie stand alone, due to it being aimed at a massive demographic of movie 'casuals' who don't post on forums like us nerds. So, despite being part of a franchise, you can still just watch this movie without having seen any of the others, you're not going to be confused or lost. It's actually a tough task, to avoid exposition explaining the relationship between Ethan and Julia/Ilsa, but he manages it pretty deftly.
Hm I could feel that when Luther is suddenly having a heart to heart with Ilsa. Thought it was a little out of place tbh

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Listening to part 2 of Empire's podcast, just 50 minutes with the Empire crew, and they are hilarious. Highly recommend it. Looks like part 3 with McQuarrie is going to be another long one.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to part 2 of Empire's podcast, just 50 minutes with the Empire crew, and they are hilarious. Highly recommend it. Looks like part 3 with McQuarrie is going to be another long one.
Do they talk about the bloodied barbwire shot anywhere? These podcasts are too long for my current time schedule

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Do they talk about the bloodied barbwire shot anywhere? These podcasts are too long for my current time schedule

Yeah I think McQuarrie talks about all the cut scenes in part 1. Don't remember anything specific about the barbed wire shot though. I think it just got cut because it slowed the film's momentum after Hunt got threatened with the photo of Julia, and the team race to Kashmir.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Just saw it and thought it was a bit.. boring.

The action was solid, but the story didn't have any surprising twists. Since they don't really use the impossible mission idea, the films don't really differentiate from other action flicks.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this last night. Not that good, a bit boring. The cinema wasn't on board either, multiple people were laughing during the finale action sequence.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
1 is still the best IMO, its not an action movie at all but the spy stuff hasn't been topped since, and the ending train sequence is still fucking amazing.

I tend to agree. I love how moody it is. That shot in the phone cell is just fantastic in that sense.

These last few films are a totally different beast. Fucking awesome, for sure. But very different.

It's really quite amazing how the finale of this one uses info from part 2.

Yeah that was great.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great film. Long film but never felt it at any time. Half a star taken off because Henry Cavill is a terrible actor, luckily it seems the director knows this and his portrayal played up to being wooden. Funny seeing Lysefjord/pulpit rock as Kashmir though as I live very close to it.

Also what's this about info from the the 2nd one in the finale?

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Great film. Long film but never felt it at any time. Half a star taken off because Henry Cavill is a terrible actor, luckily it seems the director knows this and his portrayal played up to being wooden. Funny seeing Lysefjord/pulpit rock as Kashmir though as I live very close to it.

Also what's this about info from the the 2nd one in the finale?

I believe that poster said he was referring to the free climbing homage

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
That isn't really a casuals-vs.-fans thing, though. That information was new to everybody, as we'd never gotten a real explanation for what happened between the third and fourth movies and what the current status of the marriage was.
I don't remember it fully now but a lot of it was laid out in four I thought. It was good to have even for fans, but it wasn't necessarily necessary. I think the only added info was that Julia seemed to struggle with it alot, thinking who's saving the world if you're here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like he was referencing Infinity War in that part where he pointed out other movies that required viewing earlier films. But that means he's missing the point and the fun of the MCU.
Halfway through the podcast - really interesting interview.

I don't remember it fully now but a lot of it was laid out in four I thought. It was good to have even for fans, but it wasn't necessarily necessary. I think the only added info was that Julia seemed to struggle with it alot, thinking who's saving the world if you're here.
All we learned in GP was that they had faked Julia's death. It wasn't clear exactly why, or what the status of things with Ethan was.

Deleted member 18568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have enjoyed this if it wasn't for the asshat infront of me who kept texting. Asked him nicely for 90 minutes and he didn't stop, movie literally ruined until that point.

In the last act I whispered that I would quietly break his neck if he didn't put down his phone.

All I know is, I enjoyed the last act greatly.

Now I need to see it again without a monkey in front of me who needs threatening before learning the meaning of civilization.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Other people are the worst thing about movie theatres these days.

There was a guy far away from me in Infinity War and I could still see him videotaping the whole thing and his notification volume was up all the way for texting.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Other people are the worst thing about movie theatres these days.

There was a guy far away from me in Infinity War and I could still see him videotaping the whole thing and his notification volume was up all the way for texting.
Should have told staff he was recording it. A lot of people don't know that theatres actually get paid a bonus when they catch people recording in the theatre. The staff would have been very happy you told them.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah this movie...almost made me give up on going to the cinema. Dude on my left constantly on his phone, two parents on my right decided to bring their kids, people in front constantly getting up to go to the bathroom.

Sorry Nolan and Tarantino but the cinema experience SUCKS BALLS. Nothing you say will convince me otherwise.

Going to see Ant-Man & Wasp next week, only because of some friends. Social interaction is the only reason bringing me there, not the act of seeing a movie on a big screen. My 4K TV beats the cinema experience easily. I want day one streaming available for all movies. DO IT.

Anyway, back on topic. McQuarrie says that after Rogue Nation people would keep saying they felt uneasy at Ethan flirting with Ilsa, "wasn't he married...?", so yeah the Luther/Ilsa scene wasn't just exposition but tying up the loose end that Ghost Protocol didn't tie up properly (according to Cruise himself, when talking to McQuarrie about it).

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really interesting and heartening that other people here had a potentially great movie ruined by pre-evolved apes in a crowded cinema.

Episode IX be the last film I see in theatres.

Oct 25, 2017
I never have these problems in the theaters. At worst someone flashes their phone screen every 30 mins, which is forgivable if a little annoying.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this tonight and it was great. Henry Cavill is so damn sexy with that facial hair! I did think that some of the scenes week super unrealistic but I don't go to see summer blockbusters for realism. It's the first MI movie I have seen since part 2 years ago and it made me want to watch the ones I missed.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched all the Mission Impossible movies for the first time this week, concluding with Fallout tonight. Fallout was by far the best, the action setpieces and tension were amazing. It reminded me a lot of the Nolan Batman movies. It's nuts that Cruise can keep putting out these movies that somehow get better and better.

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean why would I sully a great movie experience with a random bunch of apes being insufferable? It's madness to pay money and spend three hours for that harassment ever again.

65" oled and Atmos at home. Yeah, last Public cinema experience for me, ever.

Unless I'm in a flagship Tokyo cinema for work. Premieres there are pretty civilized.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it a couple of nights ago, it was an amazing experience.

That bathroom fight, damn! Also the complete mindfuck where Simon Pegg was wearing the mask in the chair got me so good.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I mean why would I sully a great movie experience with a random bunch of apes being insufferable? It's madness to pay money and spend three hours for that harassment ever again.

65" oled and Atmos at home. Yeah, last Public cinema experience for me, ever.

Unless I'm in a flagship Tokyo cinema for work. Premieres there are pretty civilized.
Yeah, and I usually seem to get beside the loudest people in the theatre, chewing a huge bag of popcorn nonstop in the loudest way possible over the movie, or some other food. Thankfully, my Mission Impossible viewing was mercifully free of any distractions but it's something I always dread going to the theatre.

No OLED or Atmos but I've also got a 65" 4K and the quality is seriously better than the digital IMAX. Faces in long shots in the IMAX can be a pixelated mess. Dolby Cinema sounds great, but we don't have it in Canada. Our premium format, AVX, usually looks blurry and dim with the 3D glasses. I never would have thought I'd say this a few years ago, I'd love to watch new movies on my TV instead of going out. I'd even be more likely to watch lower tier movies like Tomb Raider if that was the case. I still go to the theatre because I can't wait for these movies, but I'm always thinking this would look better on my HDR TV.

There's obvious reasons why Day 1 streaming wouldn't work out though. Companies can't judge how many people are watching a movie. It's far easier to make a pristine bootleg. It stops the whole double dip market of paying for movie theatre tickets and then months later buying it for home.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Listening to the soundtrack all week on spotify, I decided to see what else Lorne has composed, and turned out he did the soundtrack for Assassin's Creed Revelations! That's always been my favourite soundtrack of the franchise, good old Lorne.

Also, I discovered a Mission Impossible Fallout remix album, check it out it's got some cool tracks.

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and I usually seem to get beside the loudest people in the theatre, chewing a huge bag of popcorn nonstop in the loudest way possible over the movie, or some other food. Thankfully, my Mission Impossible viewing was mercifully free of any distractions but it's something I always dread going to the theatre.

No OLED or Atmos but I've also got a 65" 4K and the quality is seriously better than the digital IMAX. Faces in long shots in the IMAX can be a pixelated mess. Dolby Cinema sounds great, but we don't have it in Canada. Our premium format, AVX, usually looks blurry and dim with the 3D glasses. I never would have thought I'd say this a few years ago, I'd love to watch new movies on my TV instead of going out. I'd even be more likely to watch lower tier movies like Tomb Raider if that was the case. I still go to the theatre because I can't wait for these movies, but I'm always thinking this would look better on my HDR TV.

There's obvious reasons why Day 1 streaming wouldn't work out though. Companies can't judge how many people are watching a movie. It's far easier to make a pristine bootleg. It stops the whole double dip market of paying for movie theatre tickets and then months later buying it for home.

Curious how much you'd pay for a 4K HD home cinema launch?

I'd pay $20 to avoid nauseous public.

Movie distributors will need to provide a viable home option soon, or they'll continue to lose an entire wealthy generation of moviegoers who pay $200/week for family. Last time for real.

We won't accept me-me-me millenial douchechildren who can't put down their phones.