• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
3 years is the quickest turnaround for a MI movie. Tom Cruise will be 59 at the youngest in the next one, most likely 60. Could definitely see that being his last one, at least in a lead role.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
3 years is the quickest turnaround for a MI movie. Tom Cruise will be 59 at the youngest in the next one, most likely 60. Could definitely see that being his last one, at least in a lead role.

I honestly believe that Tom Cruise could be 70 years old and would still be trying to convince people he's just in hit late 40's.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Man I can't wait for Mission Impossible 9: Old Man Hunt.

Another standout sequence was the attack on the Paris police, when Hunt imagined having to gun them all down. God DAMN that sound track.

The score is phenomenal.

I can't wait to rewatch this masterpiece. It's really looking like I'll rank it alongside as Mad Max with one of my favourite movie experiences.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it, loved it, echo everything thats already been said about Fallout.

One thing though - did anyone else think Thom Crooze looked old in this? First time I've properly noticed it...
He is old.

I actually thought it added a lot of weight to the ending, where he is lying on the cliff side looking utterly exhausted. Older Cruise, who feels a lot more like the underdog, is easier to root for than the younger, cockier Cruise from the earlier Mission Impossible films.

lordg

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saw it last night, had a great time even though I didn't really understood the plot. That helicopter scene at the end reminded me of something straight out of the Uncharted series.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I just rewatched Ghost Protocol which I thought was insane and amazing when I first saw it and man Fallout really is so much better. Better character, story, stunts, cinematography, tension, music, everything.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
The tension in the movie was great and all the action had real weight to it because of it. All in all probably my favourite in the series.

Also I've probably never seen such beautifully shot and edited car chase sequences.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Was dragged into seeing this, despite only seeing MI3, which was ages ago. The night was sadly taken over by losing my phone while watching the movie, but after taking care of what I could this night regarding that, I now have gone back to thinking about the movie.

So overall despite maybe some moments not having the impact they have or whatever for me cause I didn't see most of the previous films, I had quite a blast with this. Overall it feels like a very well done film, with some really great action, and the whole part with the chase in Paris in particular was quite a joy to see through. Henry Cavill was pretty good here, and Walker's death was crazy good lol.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This movie seems to set up the final mission for Ethan in a future movie. Like, the mission will truly be impossible for him to survive and so he will sacrifice himself to save the world. It's the only way I can see this series ending. And it would be a great ending for Ethan's character.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

1:33 in

giphy.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love the whole soundtrack to this movie. I get that people think it's too similar to Zimmer's work in the Dark Knight movies but it's distinct enough that it's fine for me, and also works well in the context of the movie (which is basically "The Dark Knight Rises except not dumb")

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost Protocol is better

One reason is the way Brad Bird tells a story in each action sequence. In Fallout there are more insane stunt sequences but few match the impact of eve more low key ones from Ghost Protocol. The dangerous skydiving stunt ended up as a pretty ordinary skydiving scene

Having said that, the helicopter stuff gets your pulse racing

Vanessa Kirby as a grey zone villain character works really well

And this is still a great contrast to other cgi-heavy blockbusters of the day

But initial impression is that the movie just doesn't flow as well as Ghost Protocol

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's a fantastic movie. Not the best M:I but a fantastic action movie.
And as some have already stated, the music is exceptional.

If anyone cares I have a small review over at letterboxd

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The skydiving stunt made no sense to me. The appeal of the action scenes is that they were done in real life.. and it looks like it. The way they replaced the background, the plane jump just looked like a cgi sequence.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The action was really gonzo and weighty, they really put a lot of effort into bringing it closer and the sound. It paid off. Fantastic movie.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The skydiving stunt made no sense to me. The appeal of the action scenes is that they were done in real life.. and it looks like it. The way they replaced the background, the plane jump just looked like a cgi sequence.

I disagree, even with the CGI background you can't really get that same visceral intensity by doing everything else CGI. The initial jump out of the plane was he coolest shit ever, I don't remember any movie in recent memory that did that.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
McQuarrie's already been asked to return.
"[Fallout editor] Eddie Hamilton, every day in the editing room was like, 'Come on, man, it's obviously a trilogy you're coming back, you have to finish it, you didn't kill Lane,' and I was like, 'It's somebody else's problem.' Tom has asked, the studio has asked, and I was like, 'You know maybe I've got an idea for…' and then the reviews came out and I was like, 'Get outta here. Just stop.' I felt so bad for the director of Mission 6 and I feel even worse of the director of 7. I'd rather have leprosy than be in the position of the person having to confront the pressure of the hyperbole of this movie on their first day of shooting the film. It's too much to confront. I'd need a long nap before I could contemplate it."
Really hope he does.

http://collider.com/mission-impossible-7-christopher-mcquarrie

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought it added a lot of weight to the ending, where he is lying on the cliff side looking utterly exhausted.

Yeah, and it plays into some running themes of the series. Ethan gives up everything to keep doing these missions, but he's not really working on what happens when he's too old to do this shit. Needs to train up a new IMF agent. It's an easy plot point for a future film. Ethan can work on trust issues (as in, trusting someone else to save the day), and it can work in the idea of "when do people like him get to just live?"

Oct 25, 2017
one thing I hope they do for the next movie is that they need to start showing more of the greater IMF organizarion again, because as of this movie it feels like the only operational agents are Luther Benji and Ethan, which is the real issue I had with losing Renner's character for this movie.

They do a great job of pushing that even though he's still doing all this incredible shit, Ethan looks miserable throughout the entire movie. It's the most I've felt for Ethan Hunt as a character in a while.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Protocol is better

One reason is the way Brad Bird tells a story in each action sequence. In Fallout there are more insane stunt sequences but few match the impact of eve more low key ones from Ghost Protocol. The dangerous skydiving stunt ended up as a pretty ordinary skydiving scene

Having said that, the helicopter stuff gets your pulse racing

Vanessa Kirby as a grey zone villain character works really well

And this is still a great contrast to other cgi-heavy blockbusters of the day

But initial impression is that the movie just doesn't flow as well as Ghost Protocol

I disagree, I found a lot of the action in Ghost Protocol hokey. I much prefer MacQuarrie's work, they have such an intensity without ever losing focus.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Its interesting to me, I saw it on Saturday.

While I thought it was a good movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it; I really thought 4 and 5 were better. Yet, they made less $$ and there was less buzz about those two. Its interesting to me I thought Rogue Nation was incredible.

The call backs in Fallout were exceptional.

Anyways, top to bottom this might be the best set of movies ever made. I mean I Love them all in their own way. I watched 3 over the weekend, and man that one has a special place in my heart. Tom acted his ass off in that one. The casting was as good as it will ever get.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Its interesting to me, I saw it on Saturday.

While I thought it was a good movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it; I really thought 4 and 5 were better. Yet, they made less $$ and there was less buzz about those two. Its interesting to me I thought Rogue Nation was incredible.

Yeah, for some reason, I came away thinking Rogue Nation was still the better movie, despite the action and stunts being better in Fallout. I think part of it can be attributed to this having less team moments.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, for some reason, I came away thinking Rogue Nation was still the better movie, despite the action and stunts being better in Fallout. I think part of it can be attributed to this having less team moments.

Yeah Maybe, it was just interesting to me. I thought the set pieces where better too but that is not to take away from Fallout, as that was a fun experience.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout was definitely a stronger film to me than Rogue Nation. I think I enjoyed Ghost Protocol more than Rogue Nation as well, but Rogue Nation is still 3rd best in the franchise.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who the actor was that turned down the role of Walker/Lark that wouldn't even meet with MacQuarrie.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We wasted so much of Cruise's peak with the large 4-5 year gaps. MI 7 better be out no later than 2021.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I wonder who the actor was that turned down the role of Walker/Lark that wouldn't even meet with MacQuarrie.

I was wondering about that too. He said he wrote the part for him, whoever it was. Made sense to me as soon as he said that, Cavill was very good but I can imagine other actors doing more with the part.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Saw it for the second time tonight with some friends and the PG-13 rating is just such a major letdown for me. I really wish the series would just take the leap to R, sequences like the bathroom fight and the final fight with Benji would really benefit from more visual carnage.

Oh and damn, Cavill is really just the worst. This is easily the best in the series but Cavill gives his best shot at dragging down every scene he appears in. I would probably consider this a 9-ish/10 when I tone out Cavill but as the film stands with its very sanitary violence and Henry dragging down every sequence he shows up in, its an 8 for me.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the movie opening weekend. Loved it. Then I watched all the making of footage I could find on YouTube and that made me want to see it again this past weekend. Seeing a movie twice in the theaters is something I've only done a few times ever.

Today I came across the Empire Film podcast with the director. Currently planning on seeing it a third time this coming weekend. This time, for what I expect will be my last viewing in a theater, I'm thinking of going jumbo iMax. Anyone got any impressions to share? I've never seen a feature film in iMax. :)

Saw it for the second time tonight with some friends and the PG-13 rating is just such a major letdown for me. I really wish the series would just take the leap to R, sequences like the bathroom fight and the final fight with Benji would really benefit from more visual carnage.

Oh and damn, Cavill is really just the worst. This is easily the best in the series but Cavill gives his best shot at dragging down every scene he appears in. I would probably consider this a 9-ish/10 when I tone out Cavill but as the film stands with its very sanitary violence and Henry dragging down every sequence he shows up in, its an 8 for me.
I guess I'm lucky that I've literally never once been watching a PG-13 movie and thought "you know what would make this movie better? More graphic violence".

I really liked Cavill. He's a buttoned up agent type, but I thought he did enough to carry his role well.

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
In the future I could see Ethan Hunt taking over the Jon Voight-from-MI1 role (minus the, uh, betrayal and all that). An older sort of team coordinator. He's still the team leader and deeply involved in the missions but leaves the more physical acts to a newer batch of recruits who he's been training and whom the franchise could be handed off to when Cruise finally really has to call it quits.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the franchise being handed off after Cruise. I really feel like these movies have been defined by Cruise's dedication to them. Especially the stunts mostly being real.

At this point I feel like anyone else doing these movies and not doing the stunts is going to feel so wrong. The bar has been set, and I seriously doubt anyone else can match it. I think Cruise has one, and maybe two more of these movies in him, and they should just wrap it up at that point. These movies will be the legacy of the second half of his career, and a testament to just how dedicated he was to his craft.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017

In my opinion the MI franchise benefits from not being overly violent. The movies got infinitely better when they introduced more light and comedic elements to balance out the action (Simon Pegg for instance) and I think they've struck a good balance. Don't really know what more gore would bring to the table.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, when Ethan is all "okay how the fuck does this thing work" in the helicopter I felt like that was actually Cruise trying to remember how to operate the damn thing.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn what a movie. I think that's my favourite one, but I'll have to rewatch the whole series again just to be sure (it's a hard job... :P). I think that's the best cinematic experience I've had since Fury Road. The leadup to the giant, never-ending action sequence in Paris, where Lane's being loaded into the convoy and they Hans Zimmer the shit out of the classic Mission Impossible theme to just build and build and build the tension was so incredibly good. I feel like the cinematographer needs a medal for the way there's always something important either melting into the shadows or slipping into view in one corner of the frame or another.

I also wonder if Tom Cruise turning 270 degrees left to make a right hander in the later part of the chase is a cheeky little reference to this moment in that other car chase through Paris:

Special shoutout to Fake John Lark, who must be the canonical strongest human in the Mission Impossible universe for straight up beating Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill in full on just-wrapped-Superman-and-barely-fits-in-a-suit beast mode :P

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I watched 4 and 5 to prep for 6 and maybe seeing it IMAX was a factor, but this was definitely the best out of the 3. That Paris motorcycle chase is already a classic scene, brilliant. Cruise is nuts and now we all know why Cavill never worked as Supes, he's just way too good at playing the bad guy.

We watched in IMAX 3D (no other option) and this movie looked very blurry though, could there have been a mistake in the projection at my theatre or is that impossible? I have no clue about the technical aspects, but me and my friends all thought the movie looked very blurry and grainy. If only we didn't have to watch this in 3D, there's only 1 IMAX theatre in the entire country, so we don't have a lot of choice if we want to watch in this format. I wonder if other people experienced this or if this was a fuckup at the theatre.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn what a movie. I think that's my favourite one, but I'll have to rewatch the whole series again just to be sure (it's a hard job... :P). I think that's the best cinematic experience I've had since Fury Road. The leadup to the giant, never-ending action sequence in Paris, where Lane's being loaded into the convoy and they Hans Zimmer the shit out of the classic Mission Impossible theme to just build and build and build the tension was so incredibly good. I feel like the cinematographer needs a medal for the way there's always something important either melting into the shadows or slipping into view in one corner of the frame or another.

I also wonder if Tom Cruise turning 270 degrees left to make a right hander in the later part of the chase is a cheeky little reference to this moment in that other car chase through Paris:

Special shoutout to Fake John Lark, who must be the canonical strongest human in the Mission Impossible universe for straight up beating Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill in full on just-wrapped-Superman-and-barely-fits-in-a-suit beast mode :P

Upon watching that again, the frequent cuts just takes away how good that chase really is. It's still one of the best, but ugh, I don't know man.

Oct 27, 2017

The Paris sequence was a homage to C'etait in rendez-vous, by Claude Lelouch: https://vimeo.com/215828641

Source: http://www.lepoint.fr/pop-culture/c...ission-impossible-31-07-2018-2240369_2923.php

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Another great entry in the franchise. Near the top, but I'd have to see it again to be sure. There were a bunch of great, quick little shots throughout, my favorite being when Lane was underwater in the armored car and the water came at him in a wall as it was submerging because it was rolling. Just a quick scene but very cool.

Saw it in 4DX. I had a lot of fun but the 3D looked like shit. It made the picture look like VHS-quality. Leave 3D to James Cameron
I noticed this, too. We only went to a 3D showing because it's the only one that fit our schedules, but I imagine 2D being just as good - if not better - than 3D. Too blurry and stutter-y in 3D. For my money the only good implementations of 3D I've seen in theaters are Avatar and Dredd.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this a couple days ago and really really liked it.

I've been re-watching the other movies as a sort of lead-up/after sex cigarette and forgot how much I liked them. I hadn't seen the 1st or 2nd MI's in.. years and years.. and while the TECH feels incredibly dated (The internet is usenet!), the action and spy stuff was still cool. MI:2 was a BIT too John Woo for my 2018 tastes, but I remember really liking it when I was 20. MI:3 was solid and I liked the new team member additions. Cruise is just great throughout, he's really one of my favorite actors, to the point where I'll see anything he's in and just expect to like it (and am almost never disappointed).

Need to re-watch Ghost Protocol again next, as it's been a few years.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Saw it in 4DX. I had a lot of fun but the 3D looked like shit. It made the picture look like VHS-quality. Leave 3D to James Cameron

Another great entry in the franchise. Near the top, but I'd have to see it again to be sure. There were a bunch of great, quick little shots throughout, my favorite being when Lane was underwater in the armored car and the water came at him in a wall as it was submerging because it was rolling. Just a quick scene but very cool.

I noticed this, too. We only went to a 3D showing because it's the only one that fit our schedules, but I imagine 2D being just as good - if not better - than 3D. Too blurry and stutter-y in 3D. For my money the only good implementations of 3D I've seen in theaters are Avatar and Dredd.

Oh ok so more people had this experience. It was so bad at our viewing that we thought it was somehow a theatre fuckup. I would've loved to see this in 2D IMAX instead.