• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this on the weekend. It's impressive how they are able to build the tension to such a high level, even when everyone in the audience knows that they aren't going to kill off Ethan Hunt. No complaints at all. Great movie.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
I thought Rogue Nation was better, but Fallout was at the top end of recent action movies. Wish they just went R though, that bathroom fight could have been legendary. The one with Benji/Ilsa at the end was good too. Chases had too many fast cuts to be memorable. Heli scene aside of course. Plot was okay, but telegraphed. I totally thought they'd kill Ving off.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
You know I've thinking... wouldn't it have made sense for Lark and Lane to have switched places at the end? ie Lane flies away in a helicopter and Lark stays with the nukes to die.

Lane goes from a motivated mastermind seeking funding in Rogue Nation to... a suicidal guy whos happy with nuking a big lake?

Also seems weird Lane didn't die and was just captured again (same place where he started) and Lark, the guy who gets a big ass super cliche Bond villain scar, is the one who dies immediately. Lane being in Larks position, slowly getting more and more pissed off that he can't shoot Hunt until he screams would have been so satisfying to see lol

Of course, in the film Isla and Benji vs Lane finale is so perfect with all the setup of M:i RN

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Saw it yesterday

The trailer honestly made it look better than it was, but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it or think that it was good. It's not something I'd simply call great, but it's kind of in the middle between good and great if that makes sense. It didn't go as far or end up being as memorable or amazing as I had hoped and expected based on reviews. Perhaps it was overhyped though.

Some of the stunts were great, and Tom Cruise continues to blow me away. He's very likeable on screen and always fun to watch. I can't believe some of the stuff he does, especially at his age.

Some of the twists weren't too surprising though.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I took advantage of my new A-List subscription, and watched it on Dolby Atmos. I'm actually shook at how good it was. I literally have zero complaints... It was just a REALLY good action film, one of the best I've seen in years.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Ah hell, this was already replaced at the only actual-IMAX theater in the area (which is 100% The Meg after tonight). I was really hoping to catch those full frame sequences.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Saw this on the weekend. It's impressive how they are able to build the tension to such a high level, even when everyone in the audience knows that they aren't going to kill off Ethan Hunt. No complaints at all. Great movie.
Isn't this true for most movies. The lead dying rarely actually happens.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
seen it yesterday - dolby cinema - wow. amazing. and to learn that he did a lot of the stunts with a broken ankle? or sprained or some type of injury. . tom cruise is the man.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of HALO jumps in various movies/TV & games, and this one still managed to impress me significantly. Its stuck with me, even with a film as packed full of great moments as this was, and seeing the behind the scenes version of the jump and knowing it was all real was fantastic. Also gonna quote myself from the review thread:
Fallout was fantastic. Excellent cinematography, a story that made good use of past films/characters, top tier action & stunt work (as usual), and even managed to have just the right amounts of humour and emotion mixed in.

Recommend everyone see it (but make sure you've at least seen the 3rd and 5th movies before you do for the full effect).

Saw it last night, had a great time even though I didn't really understood the plot. That helicopter scene at the end reminded me of something straight out of the Uncharted series.

I was replay some Uncharted the other day and it left me feeling like I wanted to play an Mission Impossible game made by Naughty Dog. I feel like they are extremely well suited to translate a lot of what you'd get from one of the films into game form.

Last edited:

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best Mission Impossible movie as of today. I went to see it with my brother and a couple of friends and they all had a blast watching it.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty good movie, still would have loved to see them end it with Hunt being promoted to IMF Secretary, allowing them to introduce some young brash agent next movie who fucks things up, causing him to come out of "retirement" to fix it all yet again.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie, better then 4 but not 5. The action was out of the world...but the writing...

Its also the most "sequel" out of the mission impossibles instead of being standalone which is interesting.

I could not tell Ethan's ex and the assassin apart. When they cut between them in same setting I was so lost.

It almost seemed like a series finale with tying up loose ends not needing to be tied up and so on, but they're clearly planning to continue so...?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't believe the Halo jump sequence if I didn't see B-Roll of the camera guy, the BTS camera guy, and Cruise all jumping off at the same time with the camera literally 2-3 feet away from Cruise

The only thing that made me think this wasn't a wrap-up is that LANE IS STILL ALIVE

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Lane in the side bike while Hunt drives the motorcycle

Side bike detaches, Lane starts wallriding

Oct 26, 2017
Having watched all the movies so recently I'm gonna say right now that this is my favorite. Could change but that's how I see it now. One didn't age amazingly well for me, 2 was fun but ridiculous at the same time. 3 wasn't as amazing as I first found it years ago, 4 good and 5 great. I'm impressed that they manage to keep them so entertaining.

Oh and none of this is CG. So Tom kinda was really hanging from a chopper? Also, does that guy age? In fact he looked older in Rogue Nation than here, how?

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saw this two days ago. It's been a while since I've had this much fun in the theater. Absolutely fantastic movie!

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's been asked and answered, but why would White Widow's people help Ethan get Lane from the police? I thought she was just a broker, and it would be Ethan's problem to get Lane and deliver him to London or whatever.

One thing I love is how quiet and emotionless Lane is during the car chase. It's like he knows how good Ethan is and just let's him do his thing. Then once it's all done he starts talking.

Spinx

Oct 27, 2017
Making this a sequel made it better. Bike through Paris had my butt clenched. 4 and 5 had weak final acts for me. This one was great.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this. The start was a bit ridiculous with the amount of set up and exposition, almost to the point of parody.. but once it got going all the action and chase sequences were just bad ass.

Tom cruise really is a machine. I still need to watch behind the scenes stuff. I know he did a tonne of his own stunts but I don't know specifics.

Cavil never really worked for me as the villain. idk if it was the acting or his writing bit ah well.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh and none of this is CG. So Tom kinda was really hanging from a chopper? Also, does that guy age? In fact he looked older in Rogue Nation than here, how?
Yes, he really climbed that rope as it took off, climbed up just as you saw it, and fell down just as you saw it. The only CG used was to edit out the safety rope attached to him. He also trained for 18 months to learn how to pilot the chopper and he flew every bit you see of him in the cockpit, including the narrow canyons and trailing the other chopper very close at times. No trainer or co-pilot there to help, etc. Cavil was also really in the other chopper, hanging out the door throughout those scenes.

There are elements of CG used occasionally throughout the film. For example, the skydive is real, but the storm was added via CG. They of course did the sky dive in perfect weather at dusk. Took them over 100 jumps to film that scene though. Lots of practice runs and it was done in 3 parts. For example, from the moment Cruise looks out over the storm and walks back to say "we gotta rethink this", to the moment where the lightning strikes, was all done in one take.

The entire skydiving scene was filmed over 5 weeks, as they only had a 3 minute window each day to get the scene at the right time of day. So they practiced all day and got their one opportunity to film it each night at dusk.

You can watch how they did it here. There are also lots more behind the scenes bits on YouTube if you search for them, showing how they did each stunt. I honestly think the average person has no idea just how impressive these stunts are. They probably just think they're watching really good CG.

https://youtu.be/zS9c7JTICh4

Loved it when Ethan called Walker "prick "

Yup. Apparently Cruise added that himself.

There is a movie podcast called "Empire Film" and they did an epic 3 hour interview with the director. I listened to the whole thing and highly recommend it if you love this movie and want to know more about how it was made.

Tom cruise really is a machine. I still need to watch behind the scenes stuff. I know he did a tonne of his own stunts but I don't know specifics.
There is lots on YouTube if you search for it. Tons of making of vids showing how they did most of the crazy stuff.

Here is a quick video that briefly touches on the major stunts, but there is far more in depth stuff available if you want to see how fearless Tom Cruise truly is.

https://youtu.be/Z_aCOQi5tm4

Last edited:

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Amazing movie overall.

White Widow stole the show when she was on screen. I'm like ninety-nine percent positive she voiced the spider queen in Act 3 of Diablo III.

Tom Cruise and Simon Pegg have such good chemistry together, love it anytime they're shooting the shit together.

Henry Cavill unfortunately brings the movie down overall. The guy just has the charisma of a large couch. He's great with physical presence but every time he opens his mouth it kind of just takes me out of the movie.

Ethan Hutn

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
Yup. Apparently Cruise added that himself.

There is a movie podcast called "Empire Film" and they did an epic 3 hour interview with the director. I listened to the whole thing and highly recommend it if you love this movie and want to know more about how it was made.
Cheers dude. Never checked out podcasts before but found 3 related to this.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Finally seen this today.

Absolutely superb. I came in expecting a decent/solid action movie - but got an amazing ride.

Genuinely one of my favourite films. Maybe I was just having a good day - I was in a great cinema with a big reclining seat but... wow, just fantastic.

So visceral and enjoyable. It does all the simple things so well, that most action films actually mess up. The shots were excellent (no quick cutting), great audio, tension excellent, and they just capture that teenage-like imagination with the set pieces.

Loved it.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, let's forget all the slow mo doves, slow mo hair flips with gong sound effects, slow mo backflips (with doves and gongs) to disarm a goon, slow mo motorcycle duels...

I'm a fan of this franchise but let's not fellate it until we forget Mission Impossible 2 exists.

Actually, now that I think of it, Fallout echoes a couple of bits from M:I2. Overuse or magical masks: check. Decisive fist fight in exotic location following a drawn out vehicle chase: check. Wonder what else.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Contrary to what seems like a majority of Henry Cavill hate I'm seeing here, I actually really liked him for giving the franchise the bond-esque villain performance that the MI series never had until now. The towering physical presence, that right amount of high handed dickishness, constantly headbutted with Ethan throughout the movie, and that incredible finale sequence. He even gets a bond-style mutilation at the end! Who knows if someone else could've done better, but Cavill did make Walker the most memorable main antagonist in MI for me since Philip Seymour Hoffman's character.

I thought it was a waste to kill him off in one movie, and I actually kind of hopes he survives in a ridiculous manner to come back in the next movie for revenge, multilation and all.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Saw this last night because my friend is a big Henry Cavill fan. Thought it was a fun little action movie. The story was pretty basic, but I felt like it went on forever. By the time we got the twist with who Lark really was, I felt like I had been the theatre for a long while.

Also, I haven't seen a MI film since the 3rd one so I was pretty lost on who all the returning characters were. Felt like there a bunch of things set up in other films that were paid off here. Managed to stick with it though.

Overall, it was a solid popcorn flick, but I mean, I know what I'm getting into when I go into a theatre for the 5th or 6th entry in a franchise. Some cool action scenes with he Mi theme music playing behind it was all I really wanted & I got that.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this the other day.

Overall, it was entertaining and had some great action sequences. Terrible story though. Liked the last movie more than this one.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saw it a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it although Rogue Nation. And 3 are still my favourites.

There's too much about the action that's just annoying me now though.

These epic city sequences although impressive feel lifeless. Major set pieces that feel empty due to no civilians or city life whatsoever. All I think about is Tom cruise being charming to city officials so he can have a lovely backdrop.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just got out of this and this has probably already been discussed but how the hell did this not make it into the film:

jnQTHmw.jpg

What is this? I would have thought this alone would have cost so much money to film they would have had to put it in. It's the final money shot of the trailer! Or is it just a bullshot that was never intended to go into the film? What's the story here? I don't think I've ever seen what looks like such a major stunt go completely absent in a final cut of a film. It doesn't even look like it's geographically close to where the final sequence takes place. They're waaaay up in the snowy mountains. Or that it'd logically fit into the script (surely the helicopter was going to hit the trick here, and surely that'd be the end of the helicopter and Hunt would have to proceed on foot/vehicle from there).

Actually, now that I think of it, Fallout echoes a couple of bits from M:I2. Overuse or magical masks: check. Decisive fist fight in exotic location following a drawn out vehicle chase: check. Wonder what else.

I loved that finally there's some kind of payoff to Hunt's silly 'vacation' rock climbing adventure in MI:2. Here he finally puts it to good use when Cavill has to rely on the rope to climb up and as soon as Hunt realises that he can just rock climb his way to safety, he yanks that useless rope for all it's worth.

Last edited:

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Just watched this last night and holy shit this blew my balls off!

What an amazing movie, best action movie I have seen in forever. The music, sound, action, locations, and the nonstop pace are all I wanted and this was the best MI by far because of it.

Others have mentioned it but it was like Nolan Batman + Mission Impossible in the best possible way, sort of like how Skyfall took notes from TDK. Even the music is very similar.

Just a little confused about the story. Is the plot basically that even though the Apostles have the 3 nukes, they trick IMF, CIA, and Hunt into thinking Lark is going to buy them from the Apostles through the White Widow? When in reality Lark = Walker = Apostles and the whole Paris meeting was just to get Ethan labeled/framed as Lark? So to be cruel to him not only would he be charged as a terrorist, watch the world burn, his ex-wife die, and know that he was the one who freed Lane? Cause otherwise, it doesn't make any sense, why would the Apostles need Ethan for anything? They had the nukes and could have broken Lane out themselves or through the Widow and her brothers.

Also something I picked up, while the movie has beautiful ppl in it (Cruise, Cavill, and all the females in the cast) they avoided the need for sex. I found the women to be gorgeous and dripping with sex appeal but found it refreshing that they aren't just there for Cruise or Henry to sex up.

Movie had it all. I can't wait to see it again!

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Just got out of this and this has probably already been discussed but how the hell did this not make it into the film:

jnQTHmw.jpg

What is this? I would have thought this alone would have cost so much money to film they would have had to put it in. It's the final money shot of the trailer! Or is it just a bullshot that was never intended to go into the film? What's the story here? I don't think I've ever seen what looks like such a major stunt go completely absent in a final cut of a film. It doesn't even look like it's geographically close to where the final sequence takes place. They're waaaay up in the snowy mountains. Or that it'd logically fit into the script (surely the helicopter was going to hit the trick here, and surely that'd be the end of the helicopter and Hunt would have to proceed on foot/vehicle from there).

I loved that finally there's some kind of payoff to Hunt's silly 'vacation' rock climbing adventure in MI:2. Here he finally puts it to good use when Cavill has to rely on the rope to climb up and as soon as Hunt realises that he can just rock climb his way to safety, he yanks that useless rope for all it's worth.

It's mentioned in the Empire Film podcast. When Ethan flies down into the clouds, he ends up in that action sequence involving the truck. They cut it because the whole helicopter sequence was too long, and ultimately Cruise didn't mind cutting it out because (I'm going by dodgy memory) in that particular shot Cruise is not flying a chopper for real but is in a prop.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's mentioned in the Empire Film podcast. When Ethan flies down into the clouds, he ends up in that action sequence involving the truck. They cut it because the whole helicopter sequence was too long, and ultimately Cruise didn't mind cutting it out because (I'm going by dodgy memory) in that particular shot Cruise is not flying a chopper for real but is in a prop.

Ah interesting, thanks. As unfair as it sounds, I thought that sequence could have actually benefited from some more variety. Once Hunt was in the helicopter until the helicopters crashed I found the staging of it to be pretty vanilla even if it's impressive from a logistical perspective. I could have done with this piece in there instead of one of the many swoops, dodge, mis-fires in the mountains.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to a podcast with McQuarrie and... Lark wasn't meant to be a hint about John Lark being a red herring, "a lark". I just assumed it was a wink and nudge, but he just reused the name from a totally different story he had written.