• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
You gotta be crazy to think that they're going to replace Tom Cruise soon if ever

Pretty good movie, still would have loved to see them end it with Hunt being promoted to IMF Secretary, allowing them to introduce some young brash agent next movie who fucks things up, causing him to come out of "retirement" to fix it all yet again.

well he's gonna be 60 by the next MI movie so they better have a replacement. I would hope they just pick a new team. Although it didn't go very well for Bourne Legacy or 24: Legacy. Maybe they should not use Legacy in the title?

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
If Tom Cruise stops the series should stop.

Someone mentioned a great idea of a spinoff with MI female characters like Rebecca Ferguson or Vanessa Kirby. That'd be cool, and it'd have to be better than Bourne Legacy. Tom Cruise will produce, and we can get trivial Ethan Hunt cameos with him making coffee in the IMF break room.

Oct 25, 2017
Second half of the Empire film podcast interview with McQuarrie is up. It's even longer than the first, clocking in just over three hours.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Someone mentioned a great idea of a spinoff with MI female characters like Rebecca Ferguson or Vanessa Kirby. That'd be cool, and it'd have to be better than Bourne Legacy. Tom Cruise will produce, and we can get trivial Ethan Hunt cameos with him making coffee in the IMF break room.
whynotboth.gif

Rebecca's character is fantastic. But Femme Fatale was on another level during her short scenes.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Disappointed at how far this is from anything resembling Mission Impossible. Felt like another straight forward action movie. Any twists they try to do were pretty obvious a few seconds into the gag or was just a rip off of something in a previous movie that did it better.

Action wise, it was fine but I don't want to watch Mission Impossible for action. I want spy stuff, not running around all of Paris with your face clearly visible like it is no big deal.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just got back from seeing this.

I'm just as guilty of this, but I think that Mission: Impossible seems oddly underappreciated. Not underrated or anything, just doesn't seem to get the same level of hype as most other long-running blockbusters.

For me, I think this is the most consistent high-quality action film series outside of the MCU. I can look at the run of the 6 Mission: Impossible films and feel more positively about its entirety than Jurassic Park as a franchise, Star Wars as a franchise, Lord of the Rings/Middle-Earth as a franchise (owing entirely to The Hobbit films feeling underwhelming), James Bond as a franchise, etc.

It didn't dawn on me until this film came out, reviews were great but my excitement was nowhere, then I went to see this and I was like "y'know, I think I've felt this positive about every M:I film in the past, I don't know why the fuck this isn't just one of my favorites. It just plain delivers."

Well, it's one of my favorites, I guess. As action films, these are just so polished, and their productions are just insane and loaded with crazy choreography and stunts.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I really, really enjoyed myself.
I think I have liked each M:I movie a little more than the previous one each time, and this one was truly great.

Yes, most of the twists were predictable, but the action beats are so good it doesn't really matter. It's just pure fun.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of this and this has probably already been discussed but how the hell did this not make it into the film:

jnQTHmw.jpg

What is this? I would have thought this alone would have cost so much money to film they would have had to put it in. It's the final money shot of the trailer! Or is it just a bullshot that was never intended to go into the film? What's the story here? I don't think I've ever seen what looks like such a major stunt go completely absent in a final cut of a film. It doesn't even look like it's geographically close to where the final sequence takes place. They're waaaay up in the snowy mountains. Or that it'd logically fit into the script (surely the helicopter was going to hit the trick here, and surely that'd be the end of the helicopter and Hunt would have to proceed on foot/vehicle from there).

I loved that finally there's some kind of payoff to Hunt's silly 'vacation' rock climbing adventure in MI:2. Here he finally puts it to good use when Cavill has to rely on the rope to climb up and as soon as Hunt realises that he can just rock climb his way to safety, he yanks that useless rope for all it's worth.

Some of us asked the director via Q&A session over on twitter, he explained that they had to make a hard choice in keeping some of the scenes out of the final theatrical release which included the above shot.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I have now seen Mi:Fallout thrice and all three times I was at the edge of my seat while watching it on IMAX. The way the action and drama bits are structured in Fallout so perfectly. I never felt any scene to be a drag. Best MI movie in my book. Will have to wait for the blu ray to release!

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
1 is still the best IMO, its not an action movie at all but the spy stuff hasn't been topped since, and the ending train sequence is still fucking amazing.

Yep, I rewatch it often and it's aged well (other than the tech). It's the only film that bears any resemblance to the show, it's also a huge nostalgia ride for me as I was 16 when it came out (the summer I left high school).

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Just goosebumps when music builds up at 2:00 and reaches the crescendo at around 2:45. It plays when Ethan is debriefed about the Apostles. God the soundtrack is so perfectly crafted to fit across each scene/encounter.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stop thinking about this movie, but I don't want to see it again in any form besides IMAX.

It's formula, but it's like the best version of things you've seen before.

God the villains were pricks. Not only are we blow up these areas, we're gonna frame you for it AND we're gonna put your ex wife there. That wasn't even necessary. Lane tried to play it cool when they talked, but he HATED that motherfucker.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
i agree that the movies could use some more espionage—the de palma had the most of that, i think—but i also won't turn my nose up at such a wonderfully made action movie.

the series should NOT stop if cruise stops. it should go to bed for ten years then come out swinging again. it is a genre unto itself that should continue: the team heist action movie. the series should continue to be about deftly executed practical stunt work, and led by a performer as passionate as cruise about this.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny having conversations about these movies with casual viewers. I was talking to a co-worker yesterday about this movie and how crazy the stunts are and Cruise actually does them. He had seen Rogue Nation, so I said you know that plane scene at the beginning, yeah he was actually strapped to the outside of that plane. He had no idea.

I don't think the average view really understands what an achievement some of these scenes are from a movie making standpoint. People just assume everything is a green screen trick.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny having conversations about these movies with casual viewers. I was talking to a co-worker yesterday about this movie and how crazy the stunts are and Cruise actually does them. He had seen Rogue Nation, so I said you know that plane scene at the beginning, yeah he was actually strapped to the outside of that plane. He had no idea.

I don't think the average view really understands what an achievement some of these scenes are from a movie making standpoint. People just assume everything is a green screen trick.

Sad truth, many I spoke to (casual movie going audience) were oblivious to the fact that 99% of what we see in Fallout is real stunt and a real stunt performed by the lead actor himself Tom Cruise. A couple of the folks at the theater refused to believe after watching the movie that what they saw wasn't CGI, WTF!

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be a separate thread for the amazing soundtrack that was created for Fallout, by Lorne Balfe!

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Blu-ray has a ton of behind-the-scenes on all the stunts. Also there needs to be an Academy Award for stunts and Tom Cruise and the crew need to win.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

That's partly the filmmakers' fault for doing things like replace the sky during the HALO jump which, despite being maybe the most impressive logistical and spectacular stunt in the series, immediately sends artifice sirens off in your head. He's also wearing a mask, which he's just wearing cos, ya know, you have to wear a mask when jumping out of a plane, but it nonetheless makes it far easier to face replace.

Likewise, I'm not really sure why it was necessary to have Cruise fully operate the helicopter besides humouring his own mad desires based on what actually went on screen. As far as I can tell, you could pop Cruise in a model cockpit and rig it below an actual aircraft piloted by professionals for the interiors, and then just have a professional pilot the helicopter for exteriors and no one would be the wiser. To really sell the reality that Cruise is actually doing it, you'd want to have a shot that begins inside the cockpit with Cruise, then without cutting, the camera falls or flies out of the helicopter to reveal a crazy exterior stunt the helicopter pulls off.

I'm not saying the action wasn't extremely impressive or that it wasn't beneficial to be doing the stunts for real, because it was, but there are times during the film where I was thinking "they're not even really taking advantage of the fact Cruise is actually doing this shit".

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's partly the filmmakers' fault for doing things like replace the sky during the HALO jump which, despite being maybe the most impressive logistical and spectacular stunt in the series, immediately sends artifice sirens off in your head. He's also wearing a mask, which he's just wearing cos, ya know, you have to wear a mask when jumping out of a plane, but it nonetheless makes it far easier to face replace.
I agree the sky replacement creating a sense of fakery, but that did add a major element of danger to the scene, and the lightning strike moment created an opportunity for them to stitch the various parts together. (It was filmed in 3 parts).

FYI. You only have to wear a mask (with oxygen) if you're jumping from a high altitude.

Likewise, I'm not really sure why it was necessary to have Cruise fully operate the helicopter besides humouring his own mad desires based on what actually went on screen. As far as I can tell, you could pop Cruise in a model cockpit and rig it below an actual aircraft piloted by professionals for the interiors, and then just have a professional pilot the helicopter for exteriors and no one would be the wiser. To really sell the reality that Cruise is actually doing it, you'd want to have a shot that begins inside the cockpit with Cruise, then without cutting, the camera falls or flies out of the helicopter to reveal a crazy exterior stunt the helicopter pulls off.

I'm not saying the action wasn't extremely impressive or that it wasn't beneficial to be doing the stunts for real, because it was, but there are times during the film where I was thinking "they're not even really taking advantage of the fact Cruise is actually doing this shit".
I don't think the kind of camera shot you're talking about is really possible.

I think the cameras they had of Cruise piloting the chopper were awesome and even great CGI would have never looked perfectly real, like they do.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I agree the sky replacement creating a sense of fakery, but that did add a major element of danger to the scene, and the lightning strike moment created an opportunity for them to stitch the various parts together. (It was filmed in 3 parts).

There are other ways of adding elements of danger to the scene, and considering the situation the characters are in, I can't imagine it'd be too difficult brainstorming some. Even just playing around more with Hunt's/Walker's oxygen valve more would probably do the trick. If you're committed to practical stunts and real, raw spectacle, there's gotta be something else before "replace the entire sky with a lightning storm" which just seems counter to the whole philosophy. I mean adding a CG storm, or any number of CG elements to the climax would add a major element of danger to the scene too, but they're committed to practicality so they're not gonna use it. Kind of strange they opted to do so here.

FYI. You only have to wear a mask (with oxygen) if you're jumping from a high altitude.

Yeah I mention that in my post. I understand why both Cruise (as an actor) and Hunt (as a character) have to be wearing the mask - I don't really fault the film for it. I'm just saying it doesn't help the case that this needed to be done for real and it needed to be Cruise there because the mask makes it a lot easier to face-replace.

I don't think the kind of camera shot you're talking about is really possible.

It might not be. Again, I'm not necessarily saying "they should have done this." I'm saying that what they have done doesn't seem to fully necessitate Cruise doing all this shit for real, which is why it's easy to understand the average viewer watching the film and not immediately recognising the difference between this and a normal stunt-double-based stunt-work.

I think the cameras they had of Cruise piloting the chopper were awesome and even great CGI would have never looked perfectly real, like they do.

Yeah but I'm not calling for them to use CG. I'm saying they probably could have done Cruise piloting the helicopter all practically using stunt-doubles and rigs instead and the general audience would probably be none the wiser. Is the end result more seamless and more spectacular? Probably, but I don't think it's the biggest jump in the world. I mean it seems like you've gotta read up on Cruise's antics before seeing the film to actually understand how crazy what he was doing was, at which point we're kind of getting away from the original reason he's supposed to be doing this stuff in the first place.

Last edited:

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I think being aware of the reality of a lot of the stunts greatly aided my rewatch of the entire series and Fallout. You can feel every single time Hunt takes punishment, knowing Cruise probably was feeling that for real. It makes shit that much more tense, feeling like someone COULD ACTUALLY DIE even though you know it won't happen. It's awesome.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back, maybe one of my favorite action movies ever.

It's formula, but it's like the best version of things you've seen before.

And it's because of this. Nothing we haven't seen before, but the execution is absolutely phenomenal. Jaw on the floor at just about every stunt sequence, and knowing how much of it is real makes it feel all the more intense.

So good. Cruise Missile is the GOAT. Can't beli they left the take with him braking his foot in the final cut.

Last edited:

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got back, maybe one of my favorite action movies ever.

And it's because of this. Nothing we haven't seen before, but the execution is absolutely phenomenal. Jaw on the floor at just about every stunt sequence, and knowing how much of it is real makes it feel all the more intense and real.

So good. Cruise Missile is the GOAT. Can't beli they left the take with him braking his foot in the final cut.

The left it in because it was the only take. ;)

But lucky for them Cruise is a boss and finished it well enough to use it.

imb0rden

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it for the second time last night. All the action scene hold up, especially the helicopter fight at the end. There's really no substitution for actually filming in the helicopter with cruise flying it. The light and shadows rotating as he twists the helicopter give it a sense of realism that I don't think any lighting rig could come close to perfecting.

With all the awesome action scenes, I found that the second time my favorite moment was character based. It's the moment after Lark tells Hunt he'll kill Jules if he sees Hunt again, and gets away in the helicopter. Lark waves sarcastically at Hunt, and all he can do is watch as potentially his worst fears are coming to pass. The combo of the score, and the helicopter shot rotating around Cruise on top of that building was a real "Shit just got real" moment.

Oct 28, 2017
This movie had me on the edge of my seat. What a thrilling experience. It had a human punch that the other movies lacked for me, too. Really enjoyed it.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Fuuuuuccck....just saw this today, can't believe how great it was. I can't understand how this franchise can keep delivering films this good

Best film I have seen all year, re-using some of the cast from the last film made it even better and Cavill was solid as the villain.

The main thing I take from it is that each sequel doesn't have to be an escalation, you don't have to keep giving bigger threats or crazy stunts, just make a damn good film

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
ooh fallout is coming back to DOBLY atmos on friday. Made a reservation to go see it smack dab in the middle of the theatre. I really wanted to see this again and in dobly but was sad they were playing crazy rich asians and mile 22 instead of this, thought i missed out.

Thank you A-List!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been preparing for this movie by watching all 5 MI movies, I've only seen one or two around and been meaning to check them all out eventually. Did well: this series is a blast. 2 and 3 are not that amazing overall, but 1, 4 and 5 were just godlike, even if the CGI and the setpieces from the first one didn't age too well. Coming into this one I've heard great things, and I must say that all my expectations were met. Still a great cast, I also love how they addressed and closed multiple storylines (bringing Julia back for example), while keeping material for sequels (the Apostles thing is probably sticking around). Some impressive setpieces and action sequences, lot of great moments and nice humor too. This could be the best movie of the entire series in many ways, and that's saying something, easily one of the finest action movies I ever witnessed too. This one's definitely worth rewatching, and I'm definitely in for as many movies as they want to make.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
Ilsa Faust being left handed greatly appealed to me as a lefty. I hadn't noticed it from the previous movie nor this one until she was firing at Hunt from the bridge.

Lefties represent.

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this tonight - so glad I saw it in a cinema before it finishes its run.

The surround sound direction added so much to the movie. It will definitely lose something on my home set up.

Also, the film was just great from start to finish.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
First rewatch since theaters

A lot of noticeable foreshadowing regarding Walker as Lark

- Hunt in the plane demonstrating the mask plan with Walker's face as "Lark"
- Hunt pointing out how Walker has been killing all the Syndicate agents who could Identity Lark
- The glance shared between Walker and the proxy Lark just before the bathroom fight

All leading to the first big hint that something's amiss when the movie shows us that the proxy's phone is busted, but later Walker gives his handler the phone he says belonged to "Lark"

===

Much easier to follow the big double-cross marathon in the tunnels when you know the entire sequence is another fake-out like the opening scene with the scientist

===

I think I cooled a bit on the movie. The first half is absolutely fantastic: the opening fake-out, the momentum of the plot and Hunt's gambits, all the set-pieces - the sky-dive, the bathroom fight, the meeting, the extended three-part Paris car chase - are top-tier action cinema.

Afterwards, besides Julia's presence upping the stakes and the Uncharted-esque crashing helicopter moment, the action feels less exciting. The tunnel shootout is confusingly shot. The foot chase is kind of repetitive and its humorous moments clash somewhat with the pressure of the pursuit. And the helicopter sequence is really hard to follow geography-wise unless Walker is shooting at Hunt or they're tailing each other. (Hunt climbing onto the chopper is excellent though)

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I saw this in IMAX over the summer and absolutely loved it. Last night I was bored so I used a VUDU coupon to rent the UHD version

Everyone talks about the action sequences, but the whole movie is just beautifully filmed. They did a wonderful job avoiding the use of handheld shaky cam, and allowed all their scenes to breathe which I think is going to make this film age extremely well. A small example of this is the scene where Cruise does that awesome power slide w/ the BMW to get down the stairs, then he books it down the narrow street w/ the bike chasing him a few seconds later, and rather than follow the bike the camera just lingers while they both speed off, before cutting to the next sequence. And I keep thinking how all those little pieces help make these scenes so much more memorable. Going without music for that part was a great choice also.

I'm definitely going to pick up the Blu Ray for this. I suspect it will find a place on my rewatch rotation fairly quickly.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it again (on Bluray, had to buy this one) last night and yep, its easily the best MI film. Literally my only complaint about the whole film is some dodgy CG with the helicopter crash stuff leading up to the Lark fight. Could have done without that.

Otherwise? I'd take 5 more MI films with the Cruise/McQuarrie combo.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have to bump because I finally saw it last night.

Fantastic movie! And another I enjoyed more than any BP nominees this year.

I thought it nailed just about everything. One heart pumping sequence after another.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Rogue Nation just fine, but McQuarrie's level up from that movie to this one is just unbelievable.