Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
fstbD7c.jpg

MiSTeR is an open source reproduction/emulation project designed around the FPGA equipped Terasic DE10-nano. It is still early days, but there are already a ton of awesome cores for things like the NES, Genesis, Turbografx16, MSX, and plenty of arcade games.

The main components you will need is the Terasic DE10-Nano and an SDRAM board (links below). There is also an IO board that gives analogue outs, and a USB board that attaches to the bottom of the system. If you don't have the USB board, you'll need a micro USB hub to plug in your keyboard and controllers. The IO boards usually come with a heatsink and fan. If you don't buy one, it is suggested that you have a fan mount 3D printed as you can't attach a fan directly to the main board.

There are also 3D printable cases to be found in the main github. You have a couple of different choices between a really tiny one that requires the vertical RAM:

Or the full sized (still damn small) that can hold the horizontal shaped RAM. Here is mine:

Going to have the top and bottom redone in better quality eventually, but it'll keep it safe for now.

Useful links:

MiSTeR main github/wiki
Where to buy expansion boards (like the needed SDRAM)
Terasic DE10 Nano
SmokeMonster's Twitter (just a good guy to follow for news)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some clips of MiSTeR in action:

Genesis:

PC Engine/TurboGrafx16

Game Gear:

Super Nintendo:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I've been intrigued by FPGA since the Digital Foundary videos talked about the Analogue stuff. Seems really difficult to set up but Im watching this thread for sure.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I almost put one of these together about a year-ish ago, but then I started watching videos of some of the cores in action, and many of the ones I cared about didn't seem to be in a state where I could enjoy playing on them. I'm sure things have progressed since then.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike Analogue this is a hobbyist project. Do not go in expecting the quality you would receive from a commercial product. Some of the available cores will be more polished than others.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been intrigued by FPGA since the Digital Foundary videos talked about the Analogue stuff. Seems really difficult to set up but Im watching this thread for sure.

It really isn't difficult. You get the DE10 nano and the ram, slam 'em together, put your sd card into your PC and format it and load it with the firmware and cores and you're good to go.

I almost put one of these together about a year-ish ago, but then I started watching videos of some of the cores in action, and many of the ones I cared about didn't seem to be in a state where I could enjoy playing on them. I'm sure things have progressed since then.

Things have been progressing like crazy the last month apparently. I'd check back in. They have added color palettes and disk system to the NES, though I don't think it's on the main github yet. Apparently the Genesis has improved a lot as well.

Unlike Analogue this is a hobbyist project. Do not go in expecting the quality you would receive from a commercial product. Some of the available cores will be more polished than others.

It is still early days. There is absolutely no reason this can't surpass Analogues products in the coming months or years. Analogues products aren't perfect, but they are what they are now because they have moved on to future products and it isn't open source so no one else can move in and improve things. Still waiting on those redone scanlines Kevtris promised...

Shit, there are better emulators than the NES and SNES classic out there, and those are fucking Nintendo products. Willing to bet the PS classic will be no different.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing difficult about them, it's just to be considered a hobby and a new ground to learn from :)

I love them, my playground has 48cpu xeon2 cores coupled to 48fpga cores, it's the sweetest thing on earth for what it's meant to do. Perhaps i could have better performances out of GPUs, but i just love fpgas.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It is still early days. There is absolutely no reason this can't surpass Analogues products in the coming months or years. Analogues products aren't perfect, but they are what they are now because they have moved on to future products and it isn't open source so no one else can move in and improve things. Still waiting on those redone scanlines Kevtris promised...

Shit, there are better emulators than the NES and SNES classic out there, and those are fucking Nintendo products. Willing to bet the PS classic will be no different.

There's also no reason to believe many of the cores will ever approach the quality of kevtris's work. He dismounts the real chips from the systems and then black box reverse engineers them so that his cores are simultaneously outputting bit for bit the same output as the original chips. That level of accuracy is a very high bar that very few will meet.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's also no reason to believe many of the cores will ever approach the quality of kevtris's work. He dismounts the real chips from the systems and then black box reverse engineers them so that his cores are simultaneously outputting bit for bit the same output as the original chips. That level of accuracy is a very high bar that very few will meet.

I certainly don't think many of them will. But, the major players that will get the most attention, I believe in. Kevtris is obviously a genius who has done amazing work. There is no reason to believe he is the only one capable of achieving what he has, though. Especially with the speed at which this has all progressed.

And again, for all his meticulous work and Analogues claims of perfection, the Super NT still isn't perfect. And nobody else can come in and try to make it better.

I am literally playing my Super NT right now, with Link to the Past paused as I type this. I love the thing. But, there is absolutely no reason to believe Kevtris is the only person who can achieve this. To go further, there is no reason to believe others can't even do better. It is actually rather hard to imagine that no one will do better in the long term if this is where his work were to end. You are essentially betting on the horse who has quit the race to stay in the lead since it currently seems no Super NT updates are coming.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This could honestly, one day, be a panacea to a lot of preservation issues we have with older hardware. Once serious work gets done in the x86 space and I can run a full ms dos environment on it, I might jump in. I've currently got a 20 year old laptop setup, but it's already pretty plagued with hardware issues that will only get worse.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't think many of them will. But, the major players that will get the most attention, I believe in. Kevtris is obviously a genius who has done amazing work. There is no reason to believe he is the only one capable of achieving what he has, though. Especially with the speed at which this has all progressed.

And again, for all his meticulous work and Analogues claims of perfection, the Super NT still isn't perfect. And nobody else can come in and try to make it better.

I am literally playing my Super NT right now, with Link to the Past paused as I type this. I love the thing. But, there is absolutely no reason to believe Kevtris is the only person who can achieve this. To go further, there is no reason to believe others can't even do better. It is actually rather hard to imagine that no one will do better in the long term if this is where his work were to end. You are essentially betting on the horse who has quit the race to stay in the lead since it currently seems no Super NT updates are coming.

Kevtris's big issue is time. He maintains a full time job and still spends nearly every other waking moment on projects for Analogue. The SNT isn't perfect because he was told to move along to the next project. He doesn't forget about old projects. Just the other day he was talking about the Intellivision core being ported to the NT Mini as soon as he gets some free time. He's said he's actually already corrected most if not all of the outstanding SNT issues. We aren't likely to get that firmware update until Analogue releases the DAC though. I'd imagine that whatever scanline and scaling improvements he's made for the Mega SG will also make their way over to the SNT at that time.

As for being open source, kev has solidly ruled that out, but he documents his work and passes on a lot of his research to the community. See the stories around the SNT launch about his collaborations with Byuu.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse

I don't know, I woudln't be so sure. I've bought the MiST years ago, contributors come and go but the quality of cores just stagnates. There were improvements sure, but most of them never reached the quality I expected. One of the reason in my opinion is that there are not that many professional VHDL programmers out there. A lot less than software developpers anyway, and the fact is that most of the contributors are beginners that can get 90% of the job done, but lack the knowledge and experience to finish it.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
FPGAs will 100% be the solution going forward for emulating (really: reproducing) old hardware architectures. Each one is going to be a pain in the ass to get right, but once they're right...

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, yesterday was a crazy day between the cycle accurate 68000 and SNES appearing.

The SNES core is just crazy because nobody knew it was coming, just a random person/people threw it up on Github. As of last night, nobody had even figured out who it is. Just plopped it out there like it was no big deal. Hopefully it gets ported to the Mister relatively quickly. An all in one NES, SNES, and Genesis is really all I want. Everything else is just a bonus to me.

I think the biggest problem I have right now is that everything seems so scattered. I feel like I essentially have to keep up with SmokeMonster for news. 'Cause like the newest NES core with Firebrand's color pallette and disk system shit isn't in the official github. I literally found it through SM's twitter, and it's just a direct download, so I don't know where else to watch for updates. He has said the person working on it's name (Rysha or something?). But, I don't know who that is and googling it got me nowhere. It is hard to get a sense of who is working on what and when something new releases. Just follow SmokeMonster and keep checking the atari age forum. Which, man, that forum isn't the best. It is always super slow to load for me.

I don't know, I woudln't be so sure. I've bought the MiST years ago, contributors come and go but the quality of cores just stagnates. There were improvements sure, but most of them never reached the quality I expected. One of the reason in my opinion is that there are not that many professional VHDL programmers out there. A lot less than software developpers anyway, and the fact is that most of the contributors are beginners that can get 90% of the job done, but lack the knowledge and experience to finish it.

The exciting thing right now is all the attention this is getting. Crazy that one dude did some videos on it, and suddenly the ram stock people thought would last for months was gone in an instant and no place can keep inventory. It is fair to worry about what will happen in some months when the new-thing heat dissipates. We'll see. I like SmokeMonsters attitude of; this is still super early days, and what is being built here is for the future even beyond the current MiSTer project. It's all interesting to me to watch as an outsider who understands just about nothing about the actual tech and programming shit. That's why I jumped in a couple of weeks ago. I just like playing around with it all and watching things progress.

EDIT: A video of the SNES core just went online showing it running SDD1 chipped games. Man, I hope this comes to MiSTer quick. I will probably unload my super nt and sd2snes when it gets good enough to make me happy.

Last edited:

johnhandy

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for this thread. Re-reading the wiki page and watching a few videos makes a whole lot more sense now. Sounds like the only extra bits beyond the board is an SDRAM expansion board, and an USB OTG cable+hub or OTG hub.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Smokemonster's videos on this and have come very close to pulling the trigger.

If you're a bit of a tinkerer, this is a much better option than an RPi or the Analogue consoles.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this thread. Re-reading the wiki page and watching a few videos makes a whole lot more sense now. Sounds like the only extra bits beyond the board is an SDRAM expansion board, and an USB OTG cable+hub or OTG hub.

I'm gonna redo the OP at some point. Kind of been waiting for some big news to hit, and to come up with a better idea of what I want this thread to actually be, and to simplify my ramblings.

But, yeah, all you absolutely need is the DE-10 Nano, SDRam, and a USB hub (or the USB daughter board). The I/O board is mostly for analogue output. It has some buttons, but I don't really understand their point and haven't found an explanation online of what they actually do (I haven't really looked either). the left one seems to reset it, not sure what the other two buttons do. They do suggest a fan and heatsink, so if you don't have an I/O board, you'll want to track down a fan and have someone 3D print a fan mount.

I've been watching Smokemonster's videos on this and have come very close to pulling the trigger.

If you're a bit of a tinkerer, this is a much better option than an RPi or the Analogue consoles.

I have had a Pi and a retrotink for component out for forever and never really done much with it. This feels so much better already to me. The input lag on the Pi fucking killed it for me.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting more and more tempted to get this.

Question though: My current CRT setup is SCART-based, I see there's a VGA output daughterboard, and a VGA-RGB SCART cable.

Can you control scaling at a per-core level, or is everything on VGA scaled to 640x480, or is scaling a global option you have to keep twiddling with as you switch cores?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
FPGAs will 100% be the solution going forward for emulating (really: reproducing) old hardware architectures. Each one is going to be a pain in the ass to get right, but once they're right...

Why not 'time warp' setups where they send your inputs back a few states and fast forward? In other words, raw power?

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Why not 'time warp' setups where they send your inputs back a few states and fast forward? In other words, raw power?

That doesn't fix the issue of software emulation requiring shortcuts to run acceptably, just input lag.

FPGA implementations can be fast and accurate and low-lag. Software emulators usually have to pick 2.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I fully understand, so know that I'm asking this out of legitimate curiosity. What's the benefit of using this over something like Raspberry Pi? Or is this something completely different?

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
This is a solution for input lag more than it is for accuracy, AFAIK

If emulators represent the software side of emulation, FPGAs represent the hardware side. You can do super-accurate software emulation, but usually you don't want to -- you need so much more processing more to do it.

There's also an issue with the "raw power" approach once we start talking about newer architectures than just, say, SNES. What raw power? Moore's Law is dead. We have, right now, most of the raw power we'll have in 2040. Software emulation being both perfect and fast for a lot of these things isn't just hard, it's impossible.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I fully understand, so know that I'm asking this out of legitimate curiosity. What's the benefit of using this over something like Raspberry Pi? Or is this something completely different?

Raspberry pi uses software to emulate, and thus even though it emulates the console some parts of it won't be cycle (timing) perfect, and these imperfections cause problems with input lag, frame rendering etc so that the emulation is not 100% the same as the original hardware. E.g the zx spectrum computer is software emulated but graphics demos on it which rely heavily on cpu timings don't run perfectly on them and yet the spectrum next (fgpa) mimics the hardware cycles of the original computer perfectly and so the demos run perfectly. It's the same with games, the snes mini may look like it's perfect but it's not and frame rendering and input timings might be slightly out.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I work as an FPGA developer and these things are really cool. And perfect use of the things FPGA:s are great for. It is usually the other way around though. You develop a processor or integrated circuit on an FPGA and then when you are satisfied you turn it into an ASIC for better performance and lower cost.
But for emulating old hardware is is great since they run so low frequencies. They do not work in the same speeds as regular CPU:s but the insane amount of data they can handle is awesome.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't fix the issue of software emulation requiring shortcuts to run acceptably, just input lag.

FPGA implementations can be fast and accurate and low-lag. Software emulators usually have to pick 2.

This is a solution for input lag more than it is for accuracy, AFAIK

If emulators represent the software side of emulation, FPGAs represent the hardware side. You can do super-accurate software emulation, but usually you don't want to -- you need so much more processing more to do it.

There's also an issue with the "raw power" approach once we start talking about newer architectures than just, say, SNES. What raw power? Moore's Law is dead. We have, right now, most of the raw power we'll have in 2040. Software emulation being both perfect and fast for a lot of these things isn't just hard, it's impossible.

So you're saying when people develop cycle-accurate Saturn or N64 cores or whatever, that'll obviously be better to do in FPGA. Will FPGA scale with complexity & cost to that extent too? I seriously don't know about how the tech is developing.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying when people develop cycle-accurate Saturn or N64 cores or whatever, that'll obviously be better to do in FPGA. Will FPGA scale with complexity & cost to that extent too? I seriously don't know about how the tech is developing.
IMO, yes -- but it's worth noting that until someone actually does it, it's definitely debatable. :)

FWIW: the FPGA used in the Super Nt is the Altera Cyclone V, which seems to be a 28nm process.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW: the FPGA used in the Super Nt is the Altera Cyclone V, which seems to be a 28nm process.

I believe the MiSTer is a Cyclone V also, but a more powerful one. I asked SmokeMonster how much more power it was. I was told the Super had 49,000 logic elements vs 110,000 on the MiSTer. I don't know what logic elements are but that number is way bigger.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got a 3D case made for mine:

dqi9o3g.jpg

Happy with the color scheme, but defintely going to have the top and bottom reprinted with a higher quality material. First time having a 3D print done. Didn't realize PLA would turn out so rough looking.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Order a mister and some slim sdram and heatsink from the Atari forums. Can't wait for christmas - it's a present to myself.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize you can't save on the Genesis core yet. That sucks. It seems to run the majority of things great already, but that is a pretty huge missing feature.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I really love my SuperNT, but an all-in-one solution like this sounds fantastic.
Honestly, if it could do Neo Geo accurately I might just have to make the jump.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SNES just got its first official release. Looks like it works pretty damn well, but no special chips so far. Apparently the main guy who developed the core doesn't even have a MiSTeR setup yet, and won't for about a month. But, awesome to finally have an official release.

Also, work has begun on PC Engine/TurboGrafx CD support. Which is apparently extra interesting because:

This is important not only for PC Engine CD, but also Sega CD, Jaguar CD, Playstation, and other disc-based systems, because portions of the code to stream CD data will be similar across platforms.

That is the kind of stuff that intrigues me about this whole thing. I still don't understand shit about FPGA, but the way it all works together is interesting.

Supposedly people are working on Atari Jaguar and PlayStation also. But, no links for anything official. I assume something as advanced as PlayStation will still be a long ways away, especially from being great quality.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
MY mister arrived today, so looking forward to using it once the sdram arrives. Still have an io board and USB board to source :(

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I went to check out the SNES core, and I can't get the USB hub to work. I have heard the micro USB input on the main board is really fragile, but it looks totally fine. I don't know if it's my external hub, or if the board is damaged. Gonna suck if I have to buy a whole new main board for $130. Will defintely be buying a USB daughter board now.

So this is what Jeff Gerstmann was talking about. Looks rad.

Yeah. He mentioned it like a month or so ago too, which is where I first heard about it.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What is the arcade support like and how does it work in a practical sense?

For example, would you need one board for Galaga and another for Street Fighter?

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
What is the arcade support like and how does it work in a practical sense?

For example, would you need one board for Galaga and another for Street Fighter?

Only certain games are compatible so far, and you load the core you want from a menu. This is for 8 and 16 bit console and computer hardware emulation. E.g the amiga 1200, genesis and snes.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only certain games are compatible so far, and you load the core you want from a menu. This is for 8 and 16 bit console and computer hardware emulation. E.g the amiga 1200, genesis and snes.

SmokeMonster at least seems to think it will actually top out around Saturn and PlayStation. Apparently someone is working on a PSX core now. I asked him how this compares power-wise to the Super NT and was told the Super had 49,000 logic elements vs 110,000 on the MiSTer. That means absolutely nothing to me, other than to say that that second number is much bigger than the first.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for my aio daughter board

Canada Post beeing on strike is holding it since it left Portugal 17 days ago

Mostly in for the Amiga and ST cores (I love those systems to death)

I made the mistake of purchasing the DE0-Nano first :/

Lesson learned

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I am fucking bummed that I can't get my USB to work suddenly. Like I said, the board looks fine, but I don't have any other micro hub to test with it. I have handle this thing pretty gently, so that's crazy if the micro port is seriously that fragile. I would consider the USB daughter board mandatory if that turns out to be the case.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still waiting for my aio daughter board

Canada Post beeing on strike is holding it since it left Portugal 17 days ago

Mostly in for the Amiga and ST cores (I love those systems to death)

I made the mistake of purchasing the DE0-Nano first :/

Lesson learned

If you don't mind me asking, whom did you order the io board from, was the VGA present? I'm looking for an IO board at the moment, have a slim SDRAM already on its way.

Any shop in Europe selling these?

Ordered mine from digikey (https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/t/terasic-tech/de10-nano) arrived in two days to the UK. Sdram via the Atari forums.