• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I have finally acquired a mister with a 128mb ram board. Is there an idiots guide to getting the neo geo core up and running?
Yes

Prepare your sdcard with the sdcard utility (it's on the github)
Get « mister_updater_script » and run it
Copy your neogeo.zip (for the bios) in the correct directory

You can put your game roms wherever you want.

The updater script will put you up to date on the latest version of every core and create the files structures

There's also a few unofficial scripts that will pull everything for every system from archive.org but well... this isn't really legal now, is it?

Phylyps

Oct 29, 2017
Amsterdam
Yes

Prepare your sdcard with the sdcard utility (it's on the github)
Get « mister_updater_script » and run it
Copy your neogeo.zip (for the bios) in the correct directory

You can put your game roms wherever you want.

The updater script will put you up to date on the latest version of every core and create the files structures

There's also a few unofficial scripts that will pull everything for every system from archive.org but well... this isn't really legal now, is it?

Thanks!

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
I have finally got my MiSTer assembled and set-up and man it is amazing.
It really feels like the end of a 10 year journey with messing with CRTs and PVMs, trying to get 240p, from retroarch on a wii to groovymame.
All the console cores I have tried so far feel and look and sound amazing.

With the vertical arcade cores I'm having sync issues. 2/3rd of the screen looks fine but the right 1/3rd looks al distorted and warped. Is this my monitor or is there a way to adjust this in the MiSTer?

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
^
Yeah, woah:

PSXfXYs.gif

My only question is what that install button does you see on Tetris. If that actually pulls a rom for you, then I would assume this will never be officially supported.

Is this what the menu looks like or is it custom?

Having no clue about any of this, what do I need for this to build it? I'd just be using it mainly for arcade games, using controllers and HDMI.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this what the menu looks like or is it custom?

Having no clue about any of this, what do I need for this to build it? I'd just be using it mainly for arcade games, using controllers and HDMI.
If you're talking about getting a mister set up, all you really need is a DE-10 nano board from Amazon and an SD ram module from a seller (I like misteraddons, who posts here). If you get the 128mb ram you'll be set for just about everything current and most likely future. Also a micro SD card for games. The wiki in the OP will provide the rest.

There are addon boards for extra USB boards and analog ports, but not necessary to get things up and running. There is even a cheap adapter that will work for converting HDMI to analog now if you are so inclined.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
It really feels like the end of a 10 year journey with messing with CRTs and PVMs, trying to get 240p, from retroarch on a wii to groovymame.

With the vertical arcade cores I'm having sync issues. 2/3rd of the screen looks fine but the right 1/3rd looks al distorted and warped. Is this my monitor or is there a way to adjust this in the MiSTer?
I solved the problem by putting composite sync on H in the ini. I had V sync and H sync combined which is something you should not do.
Now everything looks perfect!

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

I was having this issue when my INI file was in the wrong folder so my composite sync settings weren't working. Make sure your INI file is in the root directory and enable composite sync by entering value "1".

DRULYBXA

Oct 25, 2017
Would appreciate some help please! I'm building a setup without the full io board.

I have the noctua 5v fan (which I'm mounting onto a blank io board) but have no idea where to plug it in?

It's got a three pin plug and I think I need to use the adapter to convert to two pins....

Thanks!

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to do a lot to get it all configured and set up to my liking, but from the start, I'm amazed.

edit:
It's unfortunate that my benq 32" 4K monitor can't rotate to portrait mode with the stand it comes with. :(

Last edited:

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Would appreciate some help please! I'm building a setup without the full io board.

I have the noctua 5v fan (which I'm mounting onto a blank io board) but have no idea where to plug it in?

It's got a three pin plug and I think I need to use the adapter to convert to two pins....

Thanks!

I'll be doing the same. I think you need two female Dupont ends (5v/GND) to directly connect to the GPIO so might need to cut and add these? maybe the 3pin to 2pin adapter will fit?

From the smokemonster vid

Or two male duponts ends to tap the Arduino headers (Links to 5v/GND pins for GPIO)

1FW0EDi.png

You could also fill in the fan connector on the IO and use a 3pin to 2pin adapter that comes with some Noctua fans but I'm not sure how much of the IO board needs to be populated for that to work. Looks a lot neater though.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
OH MY FUCKING GOD

For reference:
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Captain Commando
Carrier Air Wing
Chiki Chiki Boys
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts/Dai Makai-Mura
Final Fight
Forgotten Worlds
Knights of the Round
Mega Man Power Baddle
Mercs
Pang! 3
Saturday Night Slam Masters
STREET FIGHTER 2 (and all it's derivatives like Champion Edition etc.)
Strider
Dynasty Wars
King of Dragons
Punishers
UN Squadron
Warriors of Fate
Willow

I suspect this will get more eyes on the MISTer than even Neo-Geo did.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
OH MY FUCKING GOD

For reference:
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Captain Commando
Carrier Air Wing
Chiki Chiki Boys
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts/Dai Makai-Mura
Final Fight
Forgotten Worlds
Knights of the Round
Mega Man Power Baddle
Mercs
Pang! 3
Saturday Night Slam Masters
STREET FIGHTER 2 (and all it's derivatives like Champion Edition etc.)
Strider
Dynasty Wars
King of Dragons
Punishers
UN Squadron
Warriors of Fate
Willow

I suspect this will get more eyes on the MISTer than even Neo-Geo did.

Nah CPS1 will be rather easy, all the groundwork was laid already with CPS0

And CPS2 is just a slightly more powerfull CPS1 board, it only took long to « emulate » because of the encryption. It should come rather soon once CPs1 is done

Which leads me to, I need to find a crt monitor because I really don't like the lcd look

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
CPS2 is where the real shit is at. But, CPS1 is a good start.
Oh, I know, but:

Because some arcade platforms built upon existing ones for newer titles, it makes sense for core devs to do the same. Which is why we've seen CPS0 (Ghosts n Goblins etc.), then CPS1 and eventually CPS2, because they all use base hardware that's expanded. I was hoping for the same for whatever MrX-8B does in going from System 1/2 to System 16, but they don't seem to share much in the way of architecture :(

Oh I know, it's just great to see it actually kick off. Like you said, should mean that within the space of 12 months (or perhaps even 6) we'll have seen both Neo-Geo and CPS2 come to MISTer. That will be huge (and crazy).

I'm hoping that we might see implementations of the later Midway/Williams platforms (Smash TV, NARC, Mortal Kombat/NBA JAm etc.) but I know they're pretty complex so I'm not expecting them.

Last edited:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think they are. Does that mean it's less likely? Can a 32-bit CPU be implemented in FPGA or are they too big/complicated?
There's nothing bad about 32-bitness itself, though it implies double the CPU processing. However, the designs themselves started getting relatively complex (at least in theory) around the same time, so you're not exactly wrong. SuperH was specifically designed to be simple, and early MIPS was relatively predictable, though, so they're not pie in the sky picks - more like dreams of blue moon.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing bad about 32-bitness itself, though it implies double the CPU processing. However, the designs themselves started getting relatively complex (at least in theory) around the same time, so you're not exactly wrong. SuperH was specifically designed to be simple, and early MIPS was relatively predictable, though, so they're not pie in the sky picks - more like dreams of blue moon.
Ah. So I guess it's down to the chip itself and whether someone's willing to go to the effort to either decap this chip and/or track down relevant documentation for it (if such info is available). Best I can tell, its the TMS34010 and is the first dedicated GPU ever made.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching for a while and noticed Amazon was selling the DE10 with no/little markup so I'm biting. Might be more of a longer term thing while I track down the additional HW but looking forward to it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. So I guess it's down to the chip itself and whether someone's willing to go to the effort to either decap this chip and/or track down relevant documentation for it (if such info is available). Best I can tell, its the TMS34010 and is the first dedicated GPU ever made.
By « gpu » do you mean 3d graphics processor? Because gpus (graphical processor units) have existed since the Commodore Vic20

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Im surprised no progress has been made on the pc engine cd front. After the Sega CD I thought we'd get some movement or update,dying for some Rondo and Lords of Thunder.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Srg320 has released some updates to the Genesis and SNES cores.

If he's working on PC Engine CD like everyone suspects, it will likely just show up out of the blue one day.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
MCR3 Monoboard core released:

Nothing new with this that looks like it leads to anything new, but it does give us Rampage!

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got my DE10 Nano in today, but can't really do much until RAM comes back into stock. I'm tempted to just go ahead and grab a 32Meg stick, but I know that would be a waste when I'm looking for the 128. I guess I'll try booting up and fooling around with some of the cores that don't require more ram.

Anyone heard anything about RAM coming back in stock?

mattyhochs

May 9, 2018
Got my DE10 Nano in today, but can't really do much until RAM comes back into stock. I'm tempted to just go ahead and grab a 32Meg stick, but I know that would be a waste when I'm looking for the 128. I guess I'll try booting up and fooling around with some of the cores that don't require more ram.

I'd wait for the 128MB. There are many cores that work without SDRAM (Genesis, TG16, most Arcade cores, etc.). Here's a list of all cores that require it, so just use the ones not listed: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/SDRAM-Requirement-by-cores

Also, Legacy Pixels is a not very well known MiSTer parts supplier, so I'd hit them up to see what their ETA is. I've bought from them and had no issues.

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019

But anticipation is the best part of MiSTer :) On a serious note, I'll soon have surplus SDRAM but am behind with shipping by a good amount so it will take time to get through those orders. I'm hoping to not have any more shortages of supply from here on out :)

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But anticipation is the best part of MiSTer :) On a serious note, I'll soon have surplus SDRAM but am behind with shipping by a good amount so it will take time to get through those orders. I'm hoping to not have any more shortages of supply from here on out :)

Oh that's good to hear. I figured the shortage would have to end at some point, but wasn't sure when that might happen.

What's the current guess-timated lead time if I were to order right now?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in that mountain of orders is me. I have zero free time now and amazon botched my DE-10 order so I can wait patiently.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'm looking to put together my own 128 sdram board. The problem is, it looks as if I have to put in a minimum of 5 of for the bare board. Anyone know of a good place to order just the one board I need? It's either that or i potentially make 4 more sets and try to sell them off.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'm looking to put together my own 128 sdram board. The problem is, it looks as if I have to put in a minimum of 5 of for the bare board. Anyone know of a good place to order just the one board I need? It's either that or i potentially make 4 more sets and try to sell them off.
I think a couple manufacturers will sell you one, but it's the same cost as five.

Do you already have the components?

Legacy Pixels sells DIY kits. You could try asking if they will sell just the board, but I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper than buying the minimum five quantity from the manufacturer.