• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
I think a couple manufacturers will sell you one, but it's the same cost as five.

Do you already have the components?

Legacy Pixels sells DIY kits. You could try asking if they will sell just the board, but I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper than buying the minimum five quantity from the manufacturer.
I have the capacitors ready to go, just need the board and alliance chips. I'll take a look at legacy pixels though. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
And they have save states as well. That's my main issue with the MISTer.
I don't have so much time anymore to play until the next check point.

You'll probably be aware that savestates are available in the GBA core already, so I would think it is more a question of time and effort than limitations before the SNES core has them too.

I don't see HD Mode 7 coming to MiSTer, and I would think that widescreen would be pretty far down the list.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Took quite a while with backorder delays and shipping, but received my MiSTer stuff from Retroshop yesterday! Won't have time to put it all together until Tuesday, but I can at least give a positive review of the store for those looking for a less busy alternative to MisterAddons.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget about the 40 pin connector, which is mainly available on AliExpress :)
Ya know, as I'm adding all the parts to the cart and considered all the different shipping costs and wait times and doing the actual work and testing....I think I might just place an order with you instead mister add on lol

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta give a shoutout four just how awesome, welcoming and friendly this community is. We all help and build off each other!

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
We're all in this together. MiSTer is the culmination of my childhood dreams. I wish I could contribute more on the development front (for now, I shoehorned the WiFi setup script and have been working on and off on a GUI settings menu), but I'm honored to be a part.

Also, I finally have items in stock, just don't order a case if you don't want to wait a month. Chinese New Year is cramping the PCB cases in a major way. I am behind on shipping but I'll be catching up soon enough.

Cheers!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got my board setup, just the DE10 and no memory yet so only messing around with the Genesis. I was a little confused at first how things were running but I think what was happening was the core defaulting to 50hz. Other than that, my retrobit saturn controller is working great and the power switch+extension cord keeps things tidy. I'd like to see if I can setup some hotkeys so I can ditch the keyboard most of the time but otherwise super happy.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Got my board setup, just the DE10 and no memory yet so only messing around with the Genesis. I was a little confused at first how things were running but I think what was happening was the core defaulting to 50hz. Other than that, my retrobit saturn controller is working great and the power switch+extension cord keeps things tidy. I'd like to see if I can setup some hotkeys so I can ditch the keyboard most of the time but otherwise super happy.

There you go

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks.

Last little thing, setting up for square pixels and smooth scrolling. I have a 1080p display and the "fill screen" option isn't too pretty at times. Also background scrolling in Streets of Rage for instance is pretty flickery/jittery. I see lots of references to a Mister.ini with settings that look similar to what I would want, but when I go looking for this file on my board it isn't there. Has this file moved locations or am I completely off base?

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
Thanks.

Last little thing, setting up for square pixels and smooth scrolling. I have a 1080p display and the "fill screen" option isn't too pretty at times. Also background scrolling in Streets of Rage for instance is pretty flickery/jittery. I see lots of references to a Mister.ini with settings that look similar to what I would want, but when I go looking for this file on my board it isn't there. Has this file moved locations or am I completely off base?
It's called "MiSTer_example.ini" and you remove the "_example". Before you go full integer scale, the one of the filters, like Gaussian_sharp_05 and see if that smooths things out for you. You can also choose 1/2 or 1/4 steps for scaling. 720p is best if you want scanlines, but it really depends on your display. I play on a CRT so I don't have to worry about these decisions :)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's called "MiSTer_example.ini" and you remove the "_example". Before you go full integer scale, the one of the filters, like Gaussian_sharp_05 and see if that smooths things out for you. You can also choose 1/2 or 1/4 steps for scaling. 720p is best if you want scanlines, but it really depends on your display. I play on a CRT so I don't have to worry about these decisions :)
Yeah I saw that there and couldn't find any references to it in the docs, so I wasn't sure what to do with it. Looks like it used to be in fat\config. There are a lot of setup tutorial videos out there that are a year old or older :P

Anyway, I changed vscale_mode to 1 and video_mode to 8 (along with _ntsc) and the result is my scrolling is smooth but my pixels still aren't square. Image is close to 4x it seems, maybe a bit taller. I'll keep messing with it, maybe it is just a genesis/md core issue.

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
Yeah I saw that there and couldn't find any references to it in the docs, so I wasn't sure what to do with it. Looks like it used to be in fat\config. There are a lot of setup tutorial videos out there that are a year old or older :P

Anyway, I changed vscale_mode to 1 and video_mode to 8 (along with _ntsc) and the result is my scrolling is smooth but my pixels still aren't square. Image is close to 4x it seems, maybe a bit taller. I'll keep messing with it, maybe it is just a genesis/md core issue.
You'll want to check other cores as well. Genesis has aspect ratio settings in the OSD menu because different games output in different resolutions. Use 240p test suite patterns in Genesis and SNES for a sanity check. The video shouldn't fill the full height of the screen with your current settings.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing it to my MegaSG on the same display, it looks like the mister is producing a mix of 4x4 and 3x4 pixels, in comparison to the MegaSG always putting out 4x4. The dithered lights in the bar in SoR2 is a good test case. The overall height of the image is correct but the width is a bit too short.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the scaling set to native (or similar option) on your TV?
I'll take a look, but this is on a 1080p monitor. No changes in settings were made on this interface between swapping out the mister and mega sg. I can also take a look at the TurboGrafx core, I have that one up and running too, just limited to what I can try out without any sdram.

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
Comparing it to my MegaSG on the same display, it looks like the mister is producing a mix of 4x4 and 3x4 pixels, in comparison to the MegaSG always putting out 4x4. The dithered lights in the bar in SoR2 is a good test case. The overall height of the image is correct but the width is a bit too short.
Please try using the aspect ratio toggles within the core. There's original, and corrected. Original should output 4:3, and corrected should output square pixels, making some games wider depending on their resolution.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone give me the low down on this gamma correction setting on the SNES? Is that something I should look into or is it fine by default? I don't see any files to load into it by default and I know nothing about it.

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
Can anyone give me the low down on this gamma correction setting on the SNES? Is that something I should look into or is it fine by default? I don't see any files to load into it by default and I know nothing about it.
Sure! They should get downloaded with an update but, if not, create a folder in the root (/gamma) and download the filters repo from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Filters_MiSTer/tree/master/releases
When you open a core, open the menu and navigate to the right menu. From there, you should see a gamma option. The idea is to apply a non-linear brightness curve to more closely resemble the appearance of the games on CRT.

OP
OP
Hero_of_the_Day

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure! They should get downloaded with an update but, if not, create a folder in the root (/gamma) and download the filters repo from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Filters_MiSTer/tree/master/releases
When you open a core, open the menu and navigate to the right menu. From there, you should see a gamma option. The idea is to apply a non-linear brightness curve to more closely resemble the appearance of the games on CRT.

Thanks. Updater wasn't working, so had to do it manual. Checking them out now.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone wondering about how long back-ordered 128MB ram roughly takes to ship from MisterFPGA.co.uk mine has taken 11 days. Still waiting on adhesive for my heatsink to arrive and need to get some screws+dampeners for fixing the fan to the IO plate.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a kit from Retroshop and it just came with a ton of stuff. Is there any guide for assembly with typical components?

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
I ordered a kit from Retroshop and it just came with a ton of stuff. Is there any guide for assembly with typical components?
I don't have a PCB case video, yet, but I have other assembly videos for reference. I'm not able to help with his cases because they're slightly different than mine. Otherwise, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijOe8Yaf_k0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstukrQpv-8. You may have to figure out any missing bits that these videos don't cover.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I think I got everything together, but no light on my USB hub. The little prong connection to power makes me very nervous, I'm surprised they went that route. Gonna have to disassemble everything and try again. :(

*edit* Duh! Thank goodness I realized that the lights only go on if something is plugged in. Plugged in a keyboard and got a light. Now it seems like at least all the hardware is responding correctly - lights, fan, etc. Will plug it into the TV and try setup tomorrow. :)

Thanks for your response misteraddons, and for all the ambassadorship you do in this thread. Makes me feel guilty for ordering from Retroshop instead of you, but I was impatient!

Last edited:

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
I think I got everything together, but no light on my USB hub. The little prong connection to power makes me very nervous, I'm surprised they went that route. Gonna have to disassemble everything and try again. :(

*edit* Duh! Thank goodness I realized that the lights only go on if something is plugged in. Plugged in a keyboard and got a light. Now it seems like at least all the hardware is responding correctly - lights, fan, etc. Will plug it into the TV and try setup tomorrow. :)

Thanks for your response misteraddons, and for all the ambassadorship you do in this thread. Makes me feel guilty for ordering from Retroshop instead of you, but I was impatient!
Nonsense, Ricardo is great. MiSTer is awesome and I'm happy to help where I can :)

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Don't feel guilty, not only is Ricardo an amazing that'S been in the retro community for over 15 years but he will go to great lenght to help you out if you ever ask him questions about his products or anything MSX, Amiga, CPC or MiSTer related

So is it possible to operate and own one of these things using a Mac OS or nah?
I mean it's only the first line of the setup guide on the github wiki : How to set up your card, linux and MacOS use a script

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
So I booted up the mister last night for the first time and everything worked out ok. The snes core was the first one I fired up and was able to map a usb snes controller and everything worked just fine. However, I wanted to map a retrobit 8-button genesis controller to use with the genesis core, but it prompted me with the same snes controller mapping. Is there anyway to map the retrobit correctly and seperately?

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
So I booted up the mister last night for the first time and everything worked out ok. The snes core was the first one I fired up and was able to map a usb snes controller and everything worked just fine. However, I wanted to map a retrobit 8-button genesis controller to use with the genesis core, but it prompted me with the same snes controller mapping. Is there anyway to map the retrobit correctly and seperately?
It sounds like you're mapping in the main menu, which you must do first. There's been a change in mapping over the last few months that infers core button mapping from a virtual SNES pad. In any case, map in the menu first, and then you can override the button mapping from within the Genesis core. Let me know if you get stuck :)

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like you're mapping in the main menu, which you must do first. There's been a change in mapping over the last few months that infers core button mapping from a virtual SNES pad. In any case, map in the menu first, and then you can override the button mapping from within the Genesis core. Let me know if you get stuck :)
Gotcha. Yea, I mapped the snes controller first at the main menu so I could access the mister menu via controller. I completely forgot that you can then map to each individual core after the fact. I'll fiddle again with it later tonight and see what happens. Also, I know that the genesis core asks for .gen for US region, but all of mine are in the .md format. Will that have any affect in performance in terms of NTSC vs PAL televisions(i'm in the the US). Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for the quick reply!

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
Gotcha. Yea, I mapped the snes controller first at the main menu so I could access the mister menu via controller. I completely forgot that you can then map to each individual core after the fact. I'll fiddle again with it later tonight and see what happens. Also, I know that the genesis core asks for .gen for US region, but all of mine are in the .md format. Will that have any affect in performance in terms of NTSC vs PAL televisions(i'm in the the US). Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for the quick reply!
You can set primary region to USA/EU/JPN/AUTO. In auto, when loading .md games, I believe it defaults to EU. You can load any .gen, .bin, .md game though. You'll be fine on NTSC :)

DRULYBXA

Oct 25, 2017
Just received the Raphnet 'classic controller to usb' adaptor.

Works great with the SNES and NES classic console pads.

Tested Punchout on NES and it feels on point with no lag (at least that I can detect).

Highly recommended!

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Just received the Raphnet 'classic controller to usb' adaptor.

Works great with the SNES and NES classic console pads.

Tested Punchout on NES and it feels on point with no lag (at least that I can detect).

Highly recommended!

yeah I got a pair of those recently and they're great. I don't Notice any additional lag compared to standard USB controllers.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

Mine is set to 1ms. Not sure if it would make a difference since the polling rate for the adapter is 1ms. I think it takes 2ms for conversion and the adapter has 1ms usb polling for 3ms total lag. I don't know how any of these things work so I don't want to spread misinformation.

I'd like to set up a high speed camera and do some testing with an LED light on different controllers setups with different settings on a CRT

Edit** the USB polling is 1ms but the adapter controller polling rate is set at 5ms by default. It can be reduced to 2ms using some app. You'll want to reduce that as well. I wonder if the Wii controller and nunchuck can be used for light gun games. The adapter seems very flexible

Last edited:

misteraddons

Jan 30, 2019
Mine is set to 1ms. Not sure if it would make a difference since the polling rate for the adapter is 1ms. I think it takes 2ms for conversion and the adapter has 1ms usb polling for 3ms total lag. I don't know how any of these things work so I don't want to spread misinformation.

I'd like to set up a high speed camera and do some testing with an LED light on different controllers setups with different settings on a CRT

Edit** the USB polling is 1ms but the adapter controller polling rate is set at 5ms by default. It can be reduced to 2ms using some app. You'll want to reduce that as well. I wonder if the Wii controller and nunchuck can be used for light gun games. The adapter seems very flexible

The total input latency is the sum of the time it takes the ARM processor to poll the USB device (Raphnet in your case) + the time it takes the Raphnet to poll the controller. In many cases, the controller may be polled before the ARM polls the Raphnet, adding zero latency.

On top of this, most systems only polled inputs once per frame, so it forms a probability distribution function. The faster the controller, the higher % probability that any given button press registers within the current frame.

Original systems obviously didn't have the USB interface, so the system latched the controller directly and read in the inputs, resulting in ~100% on time inputs.

The bottom line is that if you don't notice any latency, it's good enough. No need to chase the dragon :)

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the verge of buying a Mister setup.
The platform seems great.

Any European buyers here?
Can you share how did you get your build? Did you buy whole, or parts?

In regards to the platform, has any developer pinpointed a specific game's platform that could be out of reach for the Mister?
CPS2? CPS3? Maybe Cave's CV1000?