• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Encourage you to read the entire thread as it outlines an exploitative work environment, but pretty insane that the controversial news article, which cited sources, on Amy Hennig's Firing and Neil Druckmann's hostile takeover were actually "forced gossip" and not the author's intent. They didn't even stick up for Dyer when the reporting came under fire from Sony and Naughty Dog.

EDIT:
Both Steve Butts and Tal Blevins are no longer at IGN and work at a consulting firm.

This is also not just about bad reporting: Thread on original complaints of abuse at IGN

Mitch Dyer worked at IGN between 2012-2016, his opinion is working conditions are much better there now.
"Progress has been made as they rooted out the rot inside. Change is possible."

Neil Druckmann's and Bruce Straley's response:

Tal and Steve were also behind the article claiming The Last Guardian was cancelled, without consulting their News Team.

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
gaming media being clickbait gossip trash

not surprised

gotta get that engagement

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.
These 2 were the epitome of what people view scumbag gaming journalism as, clicks and nothing else.
I'm glad they're gone and ign can be legitimized.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Oh wow this is big, the sexual harassment and abuse thread is shocking in of itself for all the obvious and depressing reasons and now this.

Game industry is being rocked to its core.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Here is the original article, along with the fabricated lie:

unknown.png

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/uncharted-ps4-writer-amy-hennig-leaves-naughty-dog

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The "Amy was forced out by Neil and Bruce" rumor was pretty much already debunked in Schreier's book, which had a great chapter on the development of Uncharted 4, but it's really great to hear Mitch bring up the truth about this article. He didn't have to, and he did anyway. I've had my fair share of criticism of him in the past, but I do think he's a good dude

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Wow, this is funny (not really) because up to this day, I read claims of people telling that ND went to shit because Neil forced Amy out and instated his 'SJW propaganda'.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Always knew gaming journalism was immature, but this is beyond the limit. Making up forced gossip for clicks. This is horrible.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, people attributed for years that it was Amys fault for leaving because she was hostile or something, even taking her failed SW games as "Proof" that it had to be because of that.

Fuck that man. I hope things get cleansed out with this wave of reaveals. Bring everything to light.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap at the Amy Henning story being fake/gossip and it being published, despite knowing otherwise. There was a lot of bad blood pushed over to ND, Neil and Sony over that and it was completely fake. And yet, IGN thought it would be good to publish that for relationship with Sony?! How??

Good god, IGN.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always remembered Mitch as the "The human eye cant tell the difference between 720p and 1080p beyond 50 inches" guy, but now I will remember him as a brave human being for exposing this shit.

Good job, Mitch.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
How about instead of vilifying IGN, we focus of the Level 74 company where those turds work now?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Look at the incentives of internet economies--drive engagement. That's the whole business model.

Don't' be surprised bad actors take advantage of those incentives.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Remember all the cringey "Druckmannnnnnnn" posts people would make in jest? Always hated that shit.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
The "Amy was forced out by Neil and Bruce" rumor was pretty much already debunked in Schreier's book, which had a great chapter on the development of Uncharted 4, but it's really great to hear Mitch bring up the truth about this article. He didn't have to, and he did anyway. I've had my fair share of criticism of him in the past, but I do think he's a good dude
That never stopped people from bringing it up, especially now as many pieces of shit are using whatever bits and pieces they find to attack Niel. These people don't care for a second if it's true or false of course.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Holy shit! I feel sorry for Neil and Bruce. I would have been livid if I were in their shoes. Neil still gets shit on for this to this day.

That never stopped people from bringing it up, especially now as many pieces of shit are using whatever bits and pieces they find to attack Niel. These people don't care for a second if it's true or false of course.

This. He gets hate even now.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Look at the incentives of internet economies--drive engagement. That's the whole business model.

Don't' be surprised bad actors take advantage of those incentives.
It's pathetic that the road often taken is create as much sensationalism as you can to get clicks, rather than creative a competitive advantage by generating high-quality content. It makes it difficult to parse through which sources are worthwhile and which ones are worthless.