• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised this isn't a thread yet, Mitch McConnell wrote an op-ed attacking the Trump administration for Syria.

Withdrawing U.S. forces from Syria is a grave strategic mistake. It will leave the American people and homeland less safe, embolden our enemies, and weaken important alliances. Sadly, the recently announced pullout risks repeating the Obama administration's reckless withdrawal from Iraq, which facilitated the rise of the Islamic State in the first place.
Since the 9/11 terrorist attacks, I have worked with three presidential administrations to fight radical Islamist terrorism. I have distilled three principal lessons about combating this complex threat.

[...]

Unfortunately, the administration's recent steps in Syria do not reflect these crucial lessons.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You have the power to end this, Mitch. You LITERALLY HAVE THE POWER TO END THIS.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Dude who calls himself the Grim Reaper says guy he protects made a grave mistake.

ok

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yet you did jack shit about it, Mitch. Blocking any resolution that went the Senate's way.

Spare me the bullshit

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll give a damn when he actually lets the Senate vote on it. Until then, just more empty words from a duplicitous snake.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
You have the power to end this, Mitch. You LITERALLY HAVE THE POWER TO END THIS.
source.gif

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i think they might have actually decided to end this.

but they've gotta cross the Ts and dot the Is for their base

so many unforced errors from the Trump admin, like his people are just stepping back and letting him hang himself

they thought they could tame this ridiculous orange beast and bring him to heel but uh oh spaghetti-os

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would never trust Mitch to do anything about trump. Moscow Mitch has so many conflicts that I'm sure Trump has stuff to blackmail him with.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
LOL at fucking Mitch throwing shade at Obama calling him reckless for withdrawing while himself was FOR the Iraq invasion which is really what ultimately created the power vacuum an chaos that concluded with the rise of ISIS. No self-awareness for these fools.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
This is just him trying to give an out to future Republicans because this will be low hanging fruit to attack them. Same with the other resolutions. This is "I voted no to Iraq" all over again.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Rand Paul block a resolution the other day? That dude is just a bad as the turtle

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
What's that? Is turtle actually giving a fuck about something? Wait, nope. My mistake. He's just retreating back into his shell.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
*was. As you and your neutered lot stood by and watched. Trump is their Frankenstein's monster, and they should go down with the ship.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting to speak until now when so much damage has already been done. This is impotent talk.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
"For the record, and to be absolutely clear, we thought it was wrong at the time"

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Dude literally has the power to put an end to this shit and instead does nothing. Stop being concerned and do something you complicit fuck. You could literally cross the aisle and start solving this problem this very second. Instead youre hoping your constituents give you the wiggle room to do something when theres no political blow back on you but they wont because you cultivated them to act that way.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
But Mitch won't do a thing about it because he knows that Trump will expose a lot of dirt that he has on him if Mitch turns on Trump.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Mitch didn't use Trump's name because, as we all know, Trump won't read anything that doesn't have his name in it (and pictures).

This pathetic wimp has every opportunity to say this to Trump's face, or to the Senate, or to the country, aloud.

I wonder if he even wrote it. He's doing nothing more than walking a fence, placating any voters that don't like the decision.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The ironic thing is: by sticking to a withdrawl agreement negotiated by his predecessor's administration, Obama maintained the US' international credibility by showing that the country keeps its word even as administrations come and go. By backing out of the Iran Deal and backstabbing the allies first enlisted during his predecessor's tenure, Trump defiled the country's international credibility by showing that an agreement with the US is void the moment the Oval Office switches occupants.

Despite conservatives' love of conflating these two events, they are exact opposites in terms of diplomatic spirit.

Anyway, it's rich that Mitch is now griping indirectly about Trump. He and his fellow GOP head honchos knew what Trump was from the very beginning and could have set up a front to check Trump's worst impulses. Instead, for the sake of tax cuts and judges, they kept enabling and enabling and enabling and Trump just kept pushing the boundaries because he felt he could.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If only there existed a co-equal branch of government that could provide a check against a corrupt imbalance of power.