• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I talk to Mr. Miyamoto regularly about 'the next Zelda game,' and one time, he asked me if I could come up with a game that features Super Mario Maker-like gameplay, but for Zelda," Aonuma said. "We talked about how a game like this for Zelda would have dungeons, but it's generally quite difficult to devise the logic needed to solve them."
"So we gave some thought into a more approachable style of play where you have to think about how to arrange parts that already have a solution to create a single dungeon, instead of allowing players to create complex arrangements like in Super Mario Maker 2, and that's how we created the Chamber Dungeons for this game," he explained.
"Given that the Chamber Dungeons feature is based on using rooms that already have a solution, we went looking for examples from existing titles, and found that the dungeons in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening would be the most suitable, because each room is usually the size of a single screen, and seen from a top-down view this makes their layout easy to understand," he said, noting that "a critical part of the Chamber Dungeon gameplay is understanding the original dungeons before arranging your own."

Aonuma also talks about why they kept Link's 8-way movement instead of analog movement:
"Link, the playable character in the original, moved according to digital input in eight directions: up, down, left, right and diagonals, and the entire game was designed around that style of movement. If we were to completely replace that with analog input to allow free movement in all directions, we'd also need to redesign the gameplay itself, and the way the game feels and responds would be entirely different," he said. "So, taking into account that it's now possible to move seamlessly around the map, what we did is keep the original movement in eight directions and made some adjustments to the game overall to make sure the feel and response don't differ too much from the original."

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it does sound like something miyamoto would ask for, lol

i hope one day they do an actual full zelda blown dungeon maker tho. i can even imagine it having a cool story mode.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
About the digital movement, I really don't mind. My main beef is that it doesn't even allow you to use the dpad, even though it's digital movement. It's insane.

But yeah, the chamber dungeon is pretty much a nothing feature, unfortunately.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The dungeon maker ever since its announcemrnt really feels like almost a test for trying out a zelda maker

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Maybe he will ask him to try harder next time

EasyGranularDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't the game yet but ever since the announcement, i wasn't feeling it, it just seems so bland and... too easy

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Zelda lends itself well to the "Maker" formula as well as Mario does, so I kind of get the struggle. What we got may not be what people (or even Miyamoto) wanted, but it's approachable and easy to use.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they don't just leave it at that. This was a test run. Now expand on it please.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Zelda lends itself well to the "Maker" formula as well as Mario does, so I kind of get the struggle. What we got may not be what people (or even Miyamoto) wanted, but it's approachable and easy to use.
maybe it won't work as its own separate game, but it can definitely work as a separate mode in the next top down zelda. how hard can it be? just let people design interconnected rooms with doors and cheats and enemies and puzzle elements, and this time let them share their designs with codes.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I think full fledge Zelda maker would definitely work well, even if it might not be as aproachable as Mario maker.

Oct 26, 2017
If you go by the average Quality of Mario Maker Levels, they made the right decision to dumb it down to this level. The skills needed to make a good or passable dungeon are miles beyond what it takes to create a Basic working Mario Level. Zelda or Metroid Maker would be Hell to sift through the crap.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
it does sound like something miyamoto would ask for, lol

i hope one day they do an actual full zelda blown dungeon maker tho. i can even imagine it having a cool story mode.

Yeah this is my dream as well. You could have so many awesome puzzles and enemies if they build a robust enough toolset. I really hope that Dreams has some great, fanmade Zelda-style games.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I haven't tried the Chamber Dungeons yet but I heard they were lackluster.
I would really like an actual Zelda maker game similar to the NES prototype they made for BotW.

I think there's a lot of potential you can make with something like that.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not bump several month old threads with non-news.

Status
Not open for further replies.