• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Person of Cultural Merit is an official Japanese honor awarded to people who have made outstanding cultural contributions. Miyamoto is the first game developer to receive this award. As he points out himself, it's great to see games receive this kind of recognition.

Thanks to Cheesemeister for translating.

Comment from Yuji Naka:

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, regarding pop culture for the rest of the world, Miyamoto is probably among the 5 most influential Japanese artists ever, if not more. His characters have become basically immortal.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_ozr0xft70X1vdwpfpo1_640.png

I don't know why it's split in two.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I mean, regarding pop culture for the rest of the world, Miyamoto is probably among the 5 most influential Japanese artists ever, if not more. His characters have become basically immortal.
In terms of influential artists of the last century, it's gotta be just Kurosawa (it's pretty damn hard to top Kurosawa's influence period) and maybe Miyazaki above him, right?

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats and well deserved! There's a reason why he's an icon - his humble responses just drive home how great a guy he is 👍🏽

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Its incredibleit took so long for his home country, and somewhere were the industry is so important when Spain and France recognised this years before with their own awards.

Im glad that it finally happened though, hopefui more to come for other devs theres.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after Miyamoto, who would you guys say is the second Japanese game developer who deserves this award?

edit: Yuji Horii, maybe?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
He was always a person of cultural merit to me! That's nice though. Makes sense that he would be the first to get it.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dude deserves it, he is a legend, even if he got a bit crusty with some of his latest gameplay decisions.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Mario is apparently being used as sort of a mascot for the 2020 Olympics, so it's only fair to have this kind of recognition.

Mar 18, 2019
In terms of influential artists of the last century, it's gotta be just Kurosawa (it's pretty damn hard to top Kurosawa's influence period) and maybe Miyazaki above him, right?
My picks for most influential Japanese artists of the last century:

Anime - Hayao Miyazaki

Architecture - Minoru Yamasaki

Film - Akira Kurosawa

Games - Shigeru Miyamoto

Literature - Haruki Murakami

Manga - Osamu Tezuka

Music - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Honorable mention - Rumiko Takahashi

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
after Miyamoto, who would you guys say is the second Japanese game developer who deserves this award?

Yes, he is known as "Mr. Video Games" in Japan. I'm actually a little surprised Miyamoto was selected before him considering all the talk I hear about Horii being more of a household name

Mar 18, 2019

My picks for top 5 most influential Japanese game designers:

1. Shigeru Miyamoto (Nintendo)

2. Tomohiro Nishikado (Taito)

3. Yu Suzuki (Sega)

4. Yuji Horii (Enix)

5. Hideo Kojima (Konami)

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Shigesato Itoi
Hideo Kojima
Masahiro Sakurai

honestly I can think of a lot of Devs that could deserve the 2nd and beyond spots, and all for slightly different reasons

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Miyamoto was not only a positive force on his own works, but also on the works of those around him.

I'm very happy to see him acknowledged.