• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Below is a link to the actual Nintendo Q&A session in case you would rather make your own opinion as opposed to choke on OP's skewed interpretation, which in turn is based on IGN's click-bait-friendly skewed hot take.

Miyamoto never says Nintendo's services are up to par with the rest of the industry. Rather, he is saying they have been investigating VR, online services, cloud computing, etc. from the get-go but don't announce anything unless it's cost effective from a business standpoint.

A more appropriate interpretation of Miyamoto's comments: Their online services suck, but it's not as if they are purposefully ignoring the issues. Basically, it's a business decision, which I and many others disagree with, but Nintendo is not oblivious or delusional.

What is their idea of cost-effective? Like, they have the money to make the online infrastructure better, they're essentially admitting that they're too stingy to even put in the slightest effort to make it better.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS had a little app to send cute messages to friends...... They are devolving.... Nintendo's cluelessness with online stems from the top.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was wild to me. The original Xbox in 2002(!) had better online networking than this. I'd rather just call people than follow that image

For real. You could at least set yourself up with a buddy list and a headset on the original.

Nintendo is lucky that I even have this service based on 2 things:

1) I want to play Smash online

2) $20 for a year of online service is a drop in the bucket.

That's about it. Also Splatoon 2 and now Mario Maker 2. But Splatoon 2 isn't any different from when it was free to play online, so...

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
At the end of the day this is still the same company with this gem:

www.eurogamer.net

The Secret Developers: Wii U - the inside story

A third-party developer talks about the challenges of working with Nintendo and its latest console.
This is probably more of a cultural thing. Kind of like that story where a young developer showed a western game to their boss and they said it was crap, cheap or something.

They probably do have people using those systems but they pretend not to because they consider themselves superior.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
These Nintendo people just live in a bubble. It's absurd. They're AT LEAST 5 years behind their competitors.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What's frustrating about this, minus a manual sign off and sign in on (multiple) different systems, the WiiU online was nearly perfect. Build in voice chat, both with and without headset, webcam (even if it was a separate app), friend messages, game joining (though it was kind of hidden away in the friend list) and more. We got absolutely non of that back, literally nothing...

And Virtual Console! And Netflix!

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's clear to me that none of you read the article because he clearly states that it's easy to see how people one would say that they are behind because they don't know what is going on until they announce it because they don't announce their plans until they are sure things, but then he says that he doesn't think they have fallen behind (because he knows what is in the works).

Do I believe they have stuff in the works for their online service? 100% yes
Do I believe it will "catch them up"? Not fully, no, but I do think they have something in store that will do a lot.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
People really need to read the article or better the actual Q&A part. The OP's title is misleading. This question was never about their online services (NSO) and them feeling they have not fallen behind.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean he can think whatever he wants but that doesn't mean he isn't delusional. Nintendo is so far behind in the online space it's pathetic.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
What's frustrating about this, minus a manual sign off and sign in on (multiple) different systems, the WiiU online was nearly perfect. Build in voice chat, both with and without headset, webcam (even if it was a separate app), friend messages, game joining (though it was kind of hidden away in the friend list) and more. We got absolutely non of that back, literally nothing...

Maybe Nintendo thought that was the reason why the WiiU wasn't successful - too much online functionality!

/s

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
If that's truly how he feels then he hasn't got any idea of what gamers expect from online.

Partly why I stopped buying Nintendo consoles.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
They're delusional. Absolutely delusional. Here's what the grades look like for Nintendo this generation so far:

Games: A
Online network performance: F
Online network features: F
System/OS features: F
BC / Virtual Console : F

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting that man to retire for so many years, but it never happens. Why won't he ever leave?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Both this thread and the article appear to be clickbait, no? This is the actual question asked:

There is an impression that Nintendo has been a little slow to join large global trends like the mobile business and releasing games that use VR. The current global discussion now is of the entrance of major corporations into cloud computing and streaming games, as well as alliances between rivals in the arena of cloud gaming. What are Nintendo's thoughts on these trends, and how do you plan to respond? Also, how does Nintendo plan to respond to the change in communications standards from 4G to 5G?

That question has nothing to do with online services on their consoles. His answer:

We have not fallen behind with either VR or network services. We worked on them from the very beginning, and have been experimenting with them in a variety of ways. In that time, we have objectively evaluated whether they actually allow our consumers to have an enjoyable play experience, and whether we can operate them at an appropriate cost. Because we don't publicize this until we release a product, it may look like we're falling behind. In regards to VR, we think that we have created a product that is easy for our consumers to use in the recently released Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit. Nintendo consumers encompass a wide range of ages, including young children, so we will continue to create and announce products that can be enjoyed by anyone.

I think that cloud gaming will become more widespread in the future, but I have no doubt that there will continue to be games that are fun because they are running locally and not on the cloud. We believe it is important to continue to use these diverse technical environments to make unique entertainment that could only have been made by Nintendo. The number of people coming into contact with digital devices is increasing more dramatically than ever before. For example, Super Mario Run has surpassed 300 million downloads. The fact that we've reached such a market means that opportunities for us are greatly expanding, so we would like to work on more and more unique projects.

It looks like Miyamoto just lumped in cloud computing, streaming and mobile advances into the catch-all "network services" in that answer.

So basically he is not saying what this thread title claims he is.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Nintendo being buddy buddy with MS results in Xbox Live rubbing off on Switch online because this is saaad.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Its really something when Wii U's online features were better and now we're paying for the switch services. I'm basically paying to play NES games.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
1496323071196-nin.jpeg
HAHAHAHA.

Dear Miyamoto.

2002 called. OG Xbox says hello.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Both this thread and the article appear to be clickbait, no?

I get pedantic about the definition of clickbait mostly so I can respond to threads like these by saying
god I wish it were clickbait. then maybe people would actually read the linked article

I do wish Splatoon 2 had, like, actual servers for multiplayer though.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can one of you mods actually make adjustments to the title because it's being construed in the wrong wat. He was asked about mobile and VR. At the end they only ask about 4G to 5G.

Q4
There is an impression that Nintendo has been a little slow to join large global trends like the mobile business and releasing games that use VR. The current global discussion now is of the entrance of major corporations into cloud computing and streaming games, as well as alliances between rivals in the arena of cloud gaming. What are Nintendo's thoughts on these trends, and how do you plan to respond? Also, how does Nintendo plan to respond to the change in communications standards from 4G to 5G?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I get pedantic about the definition of clickbait mostly so I can respond to threads like these by saying
god I wish it were clickbait. then maybe people would actually read the linked article

I do wish Splatoon 2 had, like, actual servers for multiplayer though.

The article itself is very misleading too. It doesn't even quote the actual question asked.

But yeah I wish this was clickbait cause then maybe people would actually click it and look into this story and realize it's badly misinterpreted.

...did 95% of people actually read the question Miyamoto asked?

I'd wager 99% did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.