Mizuho Securities: The PS4 came out top for hardware in November 2017 (USA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwing

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Mizuho has just sent the latest update on US/Japan console games sales to their clients, they usually use NPD numbers.

Game hardware (including SNES Classic, etc.) sales volume in the US was up 44% in November (cumulative Apr–Nov FY3/18 sales were up 38%), while software sales were up 2% (down 1%). The PS4 came out top for hardware
sales, with a likely large impact from Black Friday sales. The Xbox One, which launched the new high-spec X console, came in second. Both consoles saw roughly 40% growth YoY.

The Switch saw a large increase in sales volume in comparison to October, but we still sense that trends are slowing down. We do not explicitly forecast monthly sales volumes in each region, but we have the impression that US sales volume for the Switch in November was within expectations. Nintendo's hardware sales tend to see strong trends in December thanks to seasonal demand, and thus we believe that sales will grow MoM in December.
As for software, Call of Duty: WWII (Activision Blizzard) came out top in the US (PS4 came top on a SKU basis; xbox One second), while Super Mario Odyssey came in second (Switch exclusive, Nintendo)

There are no specific numbers in the update but the included figure seem to show PS4:Switch at about 2:1 and Xbox One was marginally (maybe 10%) less than PS4
My source is a report from Mizuho Securities Equity Research, they send monthly update on US/Japan console game sales to their clients . Sorry I wouldn't be able to upload the actual report so you'll have take my words for it..just want to shed some light in the prediction thread :)
PS4 around 1.4-1.6 million......damn

Edit: all credit goes to Magicpork

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think PS4 would win. Deal was good but limited quantities and XBX launching. Wowza. Beast, etc. RIP Vita.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The Switch saw a large increase in sales volume in comparison to October, but we still sense that trends are slowing down.
So they think that Switch sales overall, without counting in christmas sales will slow down over the next few month or am I reading this wrong?

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at PS4 winning. I was sure Xbox had it in the bag. Maybe there was a lot of BF stock for the PS4. Wonder how much they could have sold if they could have met demand.

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 on top while there was new hardware from the competition is impressive.
That $199 PS4 was sold out so quick.

Oct 25, 2017
So they think that Switch sales overall, without counting in christmas sales will slow down over the next few month or am I reading this wrong?
I think it's talking about software sales, which seems reasonable to surmise at the moment simply because there's no big launches on the immediate horizon. The Direct might well affect this prediction depending on what sort of dates appear in it.

Oct 27, 2017
Both consoles saw roughly 40% growth YoY

If true this is excellent. Last november was pretty close if I remember well, something like what, 1,1 million for PS4 vs 1 million Xbox One ?

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i dunno if i trust this report....they seem to be suggesting that Sony's BF stock was enough to offset XB1S, XB1X and Switch at the same time. very dubious proposition there

gonna wait for npd official

ZiT

Oct 27, 2017
When MS doesn't say anything about BF/Nov performance, you can kinda guess that PS4 will gonna to win Nov NPD.

Oct 29, 2017
That makes more sense but I thought there were multiple reports that the Switch was the best selling item on Black Friday?

Oct 25, 2017
So not official official obviously, but switch came in third for sure at least which is a bit surprising.

Ps4 and xbox could be a toss up with only 10% difference.

Oct 28, 2017
I thought XB1 would be first because of 1X. That $200 PS4 must of sold a ton. There also was Call of Duty and Star Wars PS4's though.

I thought Switch had stock going into the holiday? Or are sales that low because of no deals maybe?

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox outlook is not good tbh. early in the year people were claiming S sales slowdown was in anticipation of Scorpio, now X released and had Zero effect on PS4 momentum.

what amazed me is how PS4 managed to absorb X and Switch launches and show growth YoY.

This is talking about NPD, looking at it from WW perspective is even more impressive for PS4 and tragic for Xbox and Switch.

Oct 28, 2017
People thinking a 499$ console would top sales against another which was 199$ are concern trolling, no other explanation possible

Status
Not open for further replies.