• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Did Jade always have Johnny Cage's kick or is that new?

She always had even since her introduction as a playable character in UMK3. It was her green kick move.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cross post from the other Main MK11 thread.

I find it an interesting observation that folks praise NRS for their storytelling and single player campaigns in the recent MK games, but when it comes returning cast of characters and their revenant appearance it comes across a response from people not playing those same single player modes that were apparently praised so much.

RECAP. Sindel kills a whole bunch of people in MK9, later on in the story Raiden makes a stupid deal with Quan Chi to give the souls of the dead Earthrealm defenders in exchange for his help. Raiden learns how Kahn be destroyed by merging the realms without winning Mortal Kombat.

Basically since that point in MK9 Quan Chi has made undead / revenant slaves of those characters that died. They also return in MKX as as sort of Anti-Raiden / Earthrealm faction mind controlled by Quan Chi. It isn't until Quan Chi dies that most of these characters regain their freedom despite still being undead.

And now we move on to the events of MK11 which is a direct continuation of the ending of MKX.

Not every character that was a revenant in MKX was saved and returned to their human bodies.

Oct 26, 2017
Aaaaaand she is a zoner ........ sireosly what is with NRS lately? (I know Jade had some good zoning in MK9 but here she has way more to work with)

Its like they have fear of accidentally making combo heavy characters. They give some cool moves but all of those moves have 2 priorities A) not making bounce or something that leads to a combo B) end with huge knockback so players have big distance to zone each other.

Especially comment from the Dev on stream seemed quite odd "Jade have command run for those who emo about run" like huh?

The game is more footsies focused, less crazy rushdown and long combo focused.

The comment Jade's run is to the MKX fans who are salty about MK11 being more footsies focused and no longer having a universal run.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not as complicated as your making it out to be. The individual characters retain the same base models. It's just each layer on top is just different textures (skins) and shaders to give them different appearances. It's not multiples of the same characters modeled individually entirely from scratch from the ground up.

This time the different costumes can also be given their own variation similar to that of MKX in which there is three different archetypes for the characters with unique twists (i.e Hellfire Scorpion having more fire related attacks, Ninjutsu Scorpion having his two swords for more sword related moves, etc)

Okay, how many dopplegangers can you see NRS using in the story mode without becoming a case of too many chefs in the kitchen?

Do you see them plumbing from a vast cross section of the old timeline or mainly from the first 2 MK games? Or will the dopplegangers consists mainly of all the characters from MK9 who were killed by Sindel?

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Man, for a forum that constantly claims MK9 having the better story, people certainly don't seem to remember anything about it lol

I admit, I am tired of the revanent looks. They just look really boring to me. Extremely happy to see Jade is black again and I have to give credit to NRS for continuing to the push for more diversity in their rosters. It's nice to have more than 1 or 2 black characters to choose from.

Jan 11, 2018
Do you see them plumbing from a vast cross section of the old timeline or mainly from the first 2 MK games? Or will the dopplegangers consists mainly of all the characters from MK9 who were killed by Sindel?

The latter seems more likely. If they hadn't killed off more than half the cast of the first three games in MK9, they would never have involved time travel this soon after that game. They messed up and they know it. That's my take, anyway.

Man, for a forum that constantly claims MK9 having the better story, people certainly don't seem to remember anything about it lol

It was a re-telling of a plot most of us already knew and loved, with a stupid twist at the end. I really do think the nostalgia does play a big part in why people prefer it. Apart from the literal "kill your darlings" massacre, it's also very similar to the original live action movie, which is a cult classic.

You'll find similar attitudes towards its cast, with a lot of people going on about how it had all the best MK characters in it. Most of them probably ust took a quick glance at the post MK3 characters and decided they were bad, but never bothered to actually play the games. MK9 brought back a lot of those fans.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Solid default skin despite being a revenant, and that fatality is cool as hell lol

She always had even since her introduction as a playable character in UMK3. It was her green kick move.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cross post from the other Main MK11 thread.

I find it an interesting observation that folks praise NRS for their storytelling and single player campaigns in the recent MK games, but when it comes returning cast of characters and their revenant appearance it comes across a response from people not playing those same single player modes that were apparently praised so much.

RECAP. Sindel kills a whole bunch of people in MK9, later on in the story Raiden makes a stupid deal with Quan Chi to give the souls of the dead Earthrealm defenders in exchange for his help. Raiden learns how Kahn be destroyed by merging the realms without winning Mortal Kombat.

Basically since that point in MK9 Quan Chi has made undead / revenant slaves of those characters that died. They also return in MKX as as sort of Anti-Raiden / Earthrealm faction mind controlled by Quan Chi. It isn't until Quan Chi dies that most of these characters regain their freedom despite still being undead.

And now we move on to the events of MK11 which is a direct continuation of the ending of MKX.

Not every character that was a revenant in MKX was saved and returned to their human bodies.

To be fair that game came out 8 years ago.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge fan of the redesign. MK9 was too over the top but now they look more and more like normal earthrealm ninjas.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Someone should really just post this refresher in the OP.

The problem with this scene is that, for a Mortal Kombat series, some of those deaths look really not so deadly. OK, Smoke had his neck broken, Jade had her liver teared out, and Jax has a heel stucked in his throat - those were clear. However, Kabal is simply stomped on, Striker is punched in the nose, and Cyber Sub-Zero is just punched away. Compared to what happens during battles, or what the characters could survive in the story thus far (Jax had his arms ripped off ffs), those things looked rather survivable.

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with this scene is that, for a Mortal Kombat series, some of those deaths look really not so deadly. OK, Smoke had his neck broken, Jade had her liver teared out, and Jax has a heel stucked in his throat - those were clear. However, Kabal is simply stomped on, Striker is punched in the nose, and Cyber Sub-Zero is just punched away. Compared to what happens during battles, or what the characters could survive in the story thus far (Jax had his arms ripped off ffs), those things looked rather survivable.

She did crushing blows on Kabal, Stryker and CSZ. You just didn't see the x-ray effects.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not even that much of an MK fan...but I will buy because of their fucking amazing character designs.

Jade looks dope af

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
That game aged so bad lol

Honestly, even as I huge Mortal Kombat fan, I was never able to get into MK9 almost purely based on the visuals and aesthetic. It still had much of that PS2 era stink and
I found it incredibly ugly to look at.

Leaves me scratching my head and people asking for an HD remaster. I'm like...are you sure? Lol NRS have come a long way

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty sure the blue/green scorpion posted in this thread is a fake photoshop using injustice 2 menus and that gif of green subzero is a photoshop. You can't fully customize colours, they offer 4 palette swaps and nothing is as drastic as making scorpion/sub look like reptile or scorpion look like sub.
Have you seen the above video

The color diversity with the costumes more flexible than you may believe. The different color variations such as Green Sub-Zero are definitely not photoshops.

Jan 11, 2018
Thats pretty much all the females in MK9. Mileena literally had a bandage costume that barely covered anything as a hidden unlockable costume

Such lazy character/costume design too. Even the classic costumes look more elaborate. Both Kitana and Mileena still show some skin in MKX, but they're actually wearing something that took some effort to design. I think this is one of my favourite things about the outfits in MK11 so far. It looks like they put in a lot of work to create them (and whoever is going to cosplay in these will surely have to do the same).

Both of these outfits are super cool:

9f4092bd40b99da2ac38c7b09a73fb98.jpg

sQW6Xg9.jpg

... and then you look at the lazy shit she wore in MK9:

A3icvBR.jpg

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Have you seen the above video

The color diversity with the costumes more flexible than you may believe. The different color variations such as Green Sub-Zero are definitely not photoshops.

The scorpion ones are fake. Every costume has 4 palette swaps in that video as I mentioned. But you are right, the sub isn't a photoshop. I was confused because the ice wasn't blue in the gif, but it appears the colour of the ice changes with the costume.