• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
8i89mQ6.gif

8i89mQ6.gif

Same OT, new home.

Dates:
  • Free agency: As of 9 a.m. ET the day after the World Series ends, all eligible players will become free agents. There is then a five-day period where teams can submit qualifying offers. Once that five-day window has passed and most players who were tendered qualifying offers reject them, free agency is truly free.
  • General manager meetings: The front offices will get together Nov. 13-16 in Orlando. Expect to hear about pace of play, extended netting and many other housekeeping type matters.
  • Winter meetings: Dec. 10-14, the annual Winter Meetings take place in Orlando. Sometimes it's a hot bed of player movement and others it's over-hyped, but we definitely need to pay attention.
Free Agents:
  • The pitchers: There's Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta in terms of frontline starters. Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb figure to hit big paydays as well. Some others: Andrew Cashner, CC Sabathia, Jaime Garcia, Jeremy Hellickson and John Lackey (if he doesn't elect retirement).
  • The closers: There's one big-name closer to hit free agency and it's Wade Davis. Fernando Rodney and Matt Belisle are also going to be available. Some setup names: Addison Reed, Pat Neshek, Luke Gregerson, Jake McGee, Tony Watson and Juan Nicasio.
  • The Royals: Former Royals are on the block as well, with Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain likely to cash in pretty big.
  • The big bats: Other bats available will be J.D. Martinez, Jay Bruce , Carlos Santana, Zack Cozart, Todd Frazier and Neil Walker. There's some depth here, too, especially among players toward the end of their career, such as Curtis Granderson, Matt Holliday, J.J. Hardy, Carlos Beltran and Jose Bautista. Jon Jay, Carlos Gomez, Carlos Gonzalez, Eduardo Nunez, Eric Sogard, Howie Kendrick, Logan Morrison, Alex Avila, Jonathan Lucroy and several others could be impact players as well.
  • Options: The Pirates have a $14.5 million club option on Andrew McCutchen and if they don't pick it up, he'll be a free agent. He's really the only big name where there's a question. Players like Chris Sale, Madison Bumgarner, Greg Holland and Craig Kimbrel have club options that will undoubtedly be picked up while many others (Hardy and Bautista, to name two) are obviously not going to be exercised. The Indians won't be getting Michael Brantley's $12 million option, in all likelihood, so we can probably add him to the list of free agents.
  • Opt-out: Opt-outs
    Back in late August, my colleague Mike Axisa took a great look at some of the interesting opt-out clause decisions looming. We could be adding the likes of Johnny Cueto, Masahiro Tanaka and Justin Upton to the free agent class.

Last edited:

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As odd as it seems, this is the most excited I've been about an offseason since after the 2012 season. Tigers finished last in the league but we've got some pieces to trade (I expect Kinsler to be gone, maybe Greene, Iglesias and Mahtook), the Rule 5 Draft and maybe a cheap veteran signing. Mostly looking forward to the Draft next year.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I'm guessing it's going to be Rob Thompson. FO likes him and A-Rod said the players love him.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
anyone need some used draft picks and international talent? the Braves will hold a giveaway after the World Series.

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the world are the Yankees thinking? Joe G is an amazing manager - I wonder if it had to do with $$
I still remember how good he made the Marlins

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see that we got the offseason thread going.

This place will be crazy once Ohtani mania starts.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
If they lost in the first round, would it still have been shocking?

I guess, it wouldn't be as shocking, but he still should get credit and I think it would still be a bit shocking.
After all, Yankees were/are in the process of rebuilding and many people going into the season didn't expect their season to turn out this way.
So, I think, with how much of a positive the season was, getting to the postseason in general, they would keep him as the manager.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I am legit shook at Girardi not coming back. Its such a stark contrast to the Rays who will keep Kevin Cash forever even though he sucks.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the white sox will be quiet as expected, or if they will be involved in some 3 team trades, trading out some of their pitching talent for some hitting talent.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Ian O'Connor

"Joe Girardi's relationship with his players, though not entirely broken, was not what his bosses hoped it would be."

Jon Heyman

there has been tension between girardi/front office this year.

And that's why he was let go.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Mike Francesa giving everybody the "I knew he was gone in May" snippets.

francesa.png
Jorja Roddy will be outtah job fer like 90 sekinds

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ian O'Connor

"Joe Girardi's relationship with his players, though not entirely broken, was not what his bosses hoped it would be."

Jon Heyman

there has been tension between girardi/front office this year.

And that's why he was let go.

I wonder who picks him up, as I can't imagine no one will want him.

wonder if any of the teams that recently announced a manager are sad they did so already lol.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That Chapman Instagram thing sure didn't help, I imagine.

edit: Also since this is a new place/fresh start I mostly post in NFL-GAF and maybe posted in MLB-GAF like twice ever but figure this is a good time to get more involved here. I think some people already gauged I'm Yankees already anyway.

Sorithin

Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland
Indians better re-sign Santana. I would much rather re-sign him than pick up Brantley's option and pay him to be constantly injured and/or worthless.

Declining Brantley's option could also let us keep Bruce as well.

KennyLoggins

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the white sox will be quiet as expected, or if they will be involved in some 3 team trades, trading out some of their pitching talent for some hitting talent.

I would expect those moves next offseason at the earliest. I think the White Sox will just sign some flip candidates for next year and ride it out.

Maybe they'll find someone to buy extremely high on Avi Garcia. Abreu will stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.