• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He looked done AF last year. $5 million isn't a ton, but probably more than I'd be willing to take on a flyer like Grandson. Wonder if someone will sign Andre Ethier.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The Jays will just keep prolonging the inevitable to keep millenials in the seats and buying overpriced beer, until it stops being cool again. This team's not going to compete until management starts caring about anything other than attendance and penny pinching.

Oct 25, 2017
The Jays will just keep prolonging the inevitable to keep millenials in the seats and buying overpriced beer, until it stops being cool again. This team's not going to compete until management starts caring about anything other than attendance and penny pinching.

What would you do if you were Ross Atkins?

Hopefully Bichette and Vlad Jr live up to expectations and get here quick

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
Man the Yankees upgrade from Headley to Shaw and from Holliday to Stanton this off-season was a huge success holy shit.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If the Yankees get themselves a decent manager, they're gonna wind up being a force to be reckoned with.
I wish I could deny this statement but I can't.
and I can't even hope for anything from their rivals because the red sox are the only team that can compete in their division and I don't want them to win either... so I guess I will just have to hope for a quick sweep in the playoffs for the yankees :P

Oct 25, 2017
I would've traded all of my roster assets (Donaldson, Stroman, Sanchez, Martin) for assets and started a rebuild. It'd be better in the long run than limping a non-competitive team onto the field each year and postponing the eventual.

But you want Sanchez and/or Stroman around when when Vladdy and Bichette are here, doubt you get anything for Martin and they can still trade Donaldson at the deadline

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Josh Harrison is requesting a trade now, and I don't blame him. It's a damn shame seeing our incompetent miser owner and GM completely fuck up a promising team these last few years. We're pretty much doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Our GM can't decide if he wants to contend or rebuild, so he's trying to do both at the same time - which has been the process for these past two seasons. That simply doesn't work. And now he completely whiffed two of our only opportunities to get promising young prospects for the future to re-open a window down the line.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry HarSon, you, Silver and Duane were fun reads over the past few years, here and the old place.

Never fun to enter a rebuild phase, who knows I might be joining you after this season.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry HarSon, you, Silver and Duane were fun reads over the past few years, here and the old place.

Never fun to enter a rebuild phase, who knows I might be joining you after this season.
Rebuilding has been more fun then watching a team try to compete and fail horribly.

I will see how i feel after the prospects either pan out or bust lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Rebuilding is fine if you have a FO that has a plan. I'd rather watch that then overpriced FO sucking on a daily basis.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'd like the Braves to sign Ichiro for the hell of it.

AzulJay

Dec 25, 2017
The luxury tax penalties are fucking over free agents. The megastars will make their money but everyone else will get screwed

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I'm 99% sure the player threatening to sit out is Arrietta. The whole tone of that sounds like him wanting to be a savior ala Roger Clemens a few years back. Saving his velocity for midseason but still getting paid.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Passan saying some dark, foreboding things about the future of the league from a free agency/team control perspective right now.

The league is in serious talks to remove arbitration years or reduce the # of team control years down to a limit where players hit fee agency before their perceived "decline" years.

Which would fucking destroy small market or low budget teams (so RIP Mets).

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Jeter trying to kill the sculpture!

papSS2s.gif

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
But you want Sanchez and/or Stroman around when when Vladdy and Bichette are here, doubt you get anything for Martin and they can still trade Donaldson at the deadline
This would be my most likely scenario. As usual, Jays are doing spare parts again this off season. They got burned by signing a FA too early last year so now they're waiting to see what leftovers there are to dumpster dive.

Jays are never going to go full rebuild. They can fill the seats by just pretending to try to be contenders.
No matter how crappy the team, just let Sportsnet hard sell the Jays and the fans will show up.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

I guess I can see why he would hold out for more. Red Sox not going to bid more if they are the only suitor.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Passan saying some dark, foreboding things about the future of the league from a free agency/team control perspective right now.

The league is in serious talks to remove arbitration years or reduce the # of team control years down to a limit where players hit fee agency before their perceived "decline" years.

Which would fucking destroy small market or low budget teams (so RIP Mets).

Telling you, they should have mandated a salary floor if they were gonna do a salary cap or onerous luxury tax just to hurt Yankees/Dodgers/etc in the name of alleged parity.

Now all these FAs are getting their legs cut out from under them, and teams are only going to get more intelligent as to how to manipulate the salary/contract rules at player expense.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Telling you, they should have mandated a salary floor if they were gonna do a salary cap or onerous luxury tax just to hurt Yankees/Dodgers/etc in the name of alleged parity.

Now all these FAs are getting their legs cut out from under them, and teams are only going to get more intelligent as to how to manipulate the salary/contract rules at player expense.
The solution is to pay young players more to decrease the disparity between pre and post-FA money to incentivize FA spending and discourage tanking. But that's gonna be a process.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
For small market teams, having control of a player when their cost is reasonable is their only hope to compete. Paying young players more is just another step towards an open market for a player's entire career. I'm sure the PA would love that. So would rich teams.

UFAs no longer having a windfall is really balancing their true worth. Especially aging power hitters where over and over again it's been proven that big UFA contracts are a big gamble. If they really are elite, they'll get their monster contract. If they are not, then they get paid what they're worth. Just because they make it to UFA doesn't need to mean they always deserve a ridiculous contract.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For small market teams, having control of a player when their cost is reasonable is their only hope to compete. Paying young players more is just another step towards an open market for a player's entire career. I'm sure the PA would love that. So would rich teams.

UFAs no longer having a windfall is really balancing their true worth. Especially aging power hitters where over and over again it's been proven that big UFA contracts are a big gamble. If they really are elite, they'll get their monster contract. If they are not, then they get paid what they're worth. Just because they make it to UFA doesn't need to mean they always deserve a ridiculous contract.
The PA doesn't have any leverage and most of the "players not getting enough" is just rich team fans wanting to be able to sign everyone at the same time. A disproportionate amount of those revenues are flowing to teams like the Yankees and Dodgers anyways.

The reason players aren't getting signed isn't a nefarious pact; it's that free agent deals are historically terrible and every free agent makes a bloated salary guaranteed salary despite the fact almost nobody ever delivers anywhere near contract value near the end of the contract. JD Martinez is like the poster child for overpriced and overvalued free agents. Dude can't play defense and is the type of hitter who just falls apart and gives you 2.0 WAR.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

eh. I think teams are smarter now, at least the ones doing advanced analytics. You dont pay a guy just to pay a guy. Its base don need and production. As Parch said how many times are these big power hitters going to get a big contract when they are on the decline? You couldnt convince me that the Angels think that Pujols deal is good.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017

Cards' future looks pretty good though lol. Excited to see how Reyes/Weaver/Flaherty/et al pan out. Maybe they'll actually throw big money at Donaldson since
Harper/Machado to the Cards isn't happening

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Marlins have told the Braves that all Yelich discussion begins and ends with Acuna.

nope.
They want a package of prospects, and it always starts with a team's top prospect. Asking price is ridiculously high.
Teams might have to take a lesser outfield from UFA but there's usually plenty to chose from. It's better than sacrificing their future for Yelich.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
They want a package of prospects, and it always starts with a team's top prospect. Asking price is ridiculously high.
Teams might have to take a lesser outfield from UFA but there's usually plenty to chose from. It's better than sacrificing their future for Yelich.

Well, the "end with" suggests they wont accept anything less. I understand the ask, but they aren't gonna get him.

The Braves have more than enough top-shelf pitching prospects though to make a Yelich deal that's good for the Marlins. Marlins just need to move past wanting Acuna.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Really like that deal for the Jays. Now if they could find any team in baseball to take tulos contract (remember the days when the Rockies were dumb to dump that deal lol)

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Not bad I suppose. Leone was a pretty decent reliever. Grichuk has some upside but I don't see him being a regular. Unless there's another add he'll get plenty of ABs because the other options are not any better.
This is not the elite outfielder people were hoping for, but the Jays will work hard trying to convince fans it was. Another mediocre Jays offseason when they've got the cash to do more.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really like that deal for the Jays. Now if they could find any team in baseball to take tulos contract (remember the days when the Rockies were dumb to dump that deal lol)

No one is taking that contract. Expect Tulo to remain a Jay.

Not bad I suppose. Leone was a pretty decent reliever. Grichuk has some upside but I don't see him being a regular. Unless there's another add he'll get plenty of ABs because the other options are not any better.
This is not the elite outfielder people were hoping for, but the Jays will work hard trying to convince fans it was. Another mediocre Jays offseason when they've got the cash to do more.

Who would you like the Jays to sign?
Cain?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't know the name, but it sounds like it's a pretty good trade for the Jays.

Also Sportsnet posted a story with the details of Roy Halladay's autopsy. He wasn't drunk, and it wasn't deemed to be the result of intoxication. Since that was the case, they shouldn't have posted about it and left it alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.