• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wouldn't describe 1st as a logjam. We have Luke Voit, who you still have to consider an unknown quantity, and that's kinda it. I actually could see a fit for Cano (plays 2nd while Didi is out; moves to 1st and/or DH depending on Voit when Didi comes back; lefty bat) but the M's would have to pay down a lot of that money.

Bird is still on the roster. Andujar may have to move there at some point if he can't improve defensively at 3B. Sanchez could be moved there eventually if he continues to struggle behind the plate. I'm not saying we have a logjam at this very moment, but if you trade for Cano then you're stuck with him for 5 years at his age 36-41 seasons. I much prefer maintaining roster flexibility. Even if the Ms throw in $30m, we'd still be paying $90m to a 36 yr old aging veteran and former PED user. I'd much rather take half of that and sign a Marwin Gonzalez who's younger, more versatile, and can play all over the diamond.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the Cards to sign Brantley as their big off-season bat.

This ownership better be doing something big this off-season.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
You McCannt stand it.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.png

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I like the Donaldson signing a lot. Relatively low-risk deal for one year that could allow Atlanta to get a draft pick as well. My gut feeling is that he'll bounce back in 2019.

Albies
Acuña
Freeman
Donaldson

That's one hell of a potential top-half of the lineup

As for the McCann signing..........while I absolutely loved him for what he did for the Braves during his first run, I don't really see him adding much value to the team from an on-field perspective this time around. Considering all of the rumors regarding guys like Realmuto and Grandal, ending up with McCann is pretty disappointing.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

How did I not see this until now

lmao

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
is there a good reason to think that McCann isn't more of a back up catcher/pitch hitter signing?
he seems like a great back up candidate with potential to be your main if all your other deals fall through.
Him and Flowers will be used in a L/R platoon. McCann is a lefty so he may get more at bats facing rhp. They may just go with a every other day platoon like the Braves had with Suzuki and Flowers. We'll see. But Flowers is probably the better player at this point. Would have preferred the Braves to have brought back Suzuki but whatever.

The only good thing that may come of this signing may be the return of McCann's Cans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comments/a0ppvk/so_since_mccann_is_back_i_guess_the_cans_will_be/

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or, how about we just pay Machado the $10M more. Or just sign Donaldson for $1M less with no commitment.

OR JUST STOP TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AND HOPING THIS TIME IT ALL WORKS OUT

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the Mets give up Thor for Cano.
The minute the Padres said no on Tatis I knew we'd sell him for absolutely nothing. The ONLY way this deal is worth it is if we get Cano for $12M annually and somehow, someway, pry Haniger from them. But I can't in a million years see us getting Haniger without eating an inordinate amount of that contract.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017

Per major league sources, here are the basic parameters of what the teams are discussing: Cano would go to the Mets, and Seattle would pay approximately $10 million annually of the $120 million owed to Cano over the next five years. That would take Cano's annual salary down to about $14 million.

The Mets are also trying to get Seattle to take on a burdensome contract like Jay Bruce's, and obtain a player like Edwin Diaz or Mitch Haniger.

If this all seems too good to be true for the Mets, it might be.
This doesn't sound realistic

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Haniger and Diaz are actual good players with real value. The Mariners could probably maximize that value in separate deals rather than including them with the Cano salary dump, unless they are getting some insane godfather offer.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Haniger and Diaz are actual good players with real value. The Mariners could probably maximize that value in separate deals rather than including them with the Cano salary dump, unless they are getting some insane godfather offer.
Yeah there is no reason for the M's to use their best assets to dump bad contracts rather than just eating the money. If you move Diaz, Haniger, and Segura in addition to the Paxton trade you have instantly replenished your farm system.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

The question is how badly they want to get rid of Cano's contract. No team out there is taking that contract in its entirety. And if the Ms are not willing to eat any of the money, then their only option is to include young, controllable assets in the deal to offset the financial albatross that is Cano's contract.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The question is how badly they want to get rid of Cano's contract. No team out there is taking that contract in its entirety. And if the Ms are not willing to eat any of the money, then their only option is to include young, controllable assets in the deal to offset the financial albatross that is Cano's contract.

Cano is still a good player. He's old, and declining, but if they subsidize enough of it (as the rumor above suggests) they can probably find a taker.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Cano is still a good player. He's old, and declining, but if they subsidize enough of it (as the rumor above suggests) they can probably find a taker.

"enough of it" is the key phrase. Sure, they might throw in a couple bucks, but if they're not including anything else of value in the deal, the other team is going to want a significant subsidy. Cano was still a good player last year, but generally when players in their mid-30s decline, the drop is usually very quick. Also, now that he's off PEDs, how's that going to impact him physically moving forward from age 36-41? These are things I would be worried about if he's coming to my team.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
"enough of it" is the key phrase. Sure, they might throw in a couple bucks, but if they're not including anything else of value in the deal, the other team is going to want a significant subsidy. Cano was still a good player last year, but generally when players in their mid-30s decline, the drop is usually very quick. Also, now that he's off PEDs, how's that going to impact him physically moving forward from age 36-41? These are things I would be worried about if he's coming to my team.

He'll take an off year and pep right up, also saving the team $. Win win!

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing from a buddy that the Cano/Diaz deal is a 3-2 (don't know other pieces) and done by the end of the week. So Bruce + probably Anthony Kay and another piece.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picking up Cano would be so quintessentially Met that I want it to happen just so I know there is still something in the world working as it should.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great deal for the Mets if they can pull this off. Ms have little to no leverage in this situation. They desperately want Cano's contract off the books and everyone knows it. Plus Cano has a no-trade.
It's not a top-10 guy, it's our best prospect. If the deal gets done it's going to be Bruce, Dom (as a toss in) and Gimenez. Maybe sell them on Dunn or Perterson's upside. But Gimenez is a ++ defensive shortstop with a good bat profile (and walks). For Diaz and Cano.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
It's not a top-10 guy, it's our best prospect. If the deal gets done it's going to be Bruce, Dom (as a toss in) and Gimenez. Maybe sell them on Dunn or Perterson's upside. But Gimenez is a ++ defensive shortstop with a good bat profile (and walks). For Diaz and Cano.
That's still a really good deal for the Mets especially if the Mariners are kicking in some money. Diaz is worth much more than a mid-50's overall prospect. If this is actually on the table, Cashman needs to jump in with a counteroffer.
And there it is:

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mariners are not that dumb. And the Mets are not that smart.
...are they not that dumb? I think people are underestimating how fucked the Mariners are.

They need to tear it down and rebuild but they can't even start the rebuild because they owe a bunch of bad players a ton of money and they threw full no-trades at a bunch of them: Segura, Leake, Cano and Hernandez all have 8 digit salaries and no trade clauses, and that doesn't even count having to pay Kyle Seager just as much to be awful. The Mariners owe $116,000,000 in 2019 to those players (plus Dee Gordon) who aren't good and most of whom have literal negative trade value. The only player on their team who has a positive value and is making money is Segura. The Mariners also have a comically bad farm system and because none of their veterans are worth anything, they have no real way to reload.

They're actually worse off than the Giants (another team similarly built by throwing money at 2013 All-Stars), who at the very least don't actually have to pay Pablo Sandoval. The Mariners are going to get fucked in almost any deal because they're even more fucked if they keep those salaries around.

AgentChris

Oct 26, 2017
Mets should do that trade but give them a SP prospect instead of the few position player prospects we have.

Getting rid of Jay Bruce would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.