• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get why you would extend Hicks. There's not going to be a spot for him in the outfield after Ellsbury returns in April.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I like Hicks and $10m AAV is good value, but 7 years seem too long to me. I would've preferred 4 years with a year or two of vesting options.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Not a terrible deal but seems like an unnecessary deal. Won't make or break a team like the Yankees but if Hicks falls off in his 30s that's just dead weight.

RC0101

Oct 27, 2017
Dodgers back in on Harper! Come on Friedman get it done asap... I'll be at Spring Training in two days!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Doyers need to sign Harper already. We got rid of Puig to open up a spot for him so pull the trigger. Stop minding the luxury tax like you're some broke small-market team like the Cubs.

The Dodgers are probably not going to ever give anyone an 8-10 year contract. I don't think it's even a luxury tax thing, it's just their front office philosophy.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
I like Hicks and $10m AAV is good value, but 7 years seem too long to me. I would've preferred 4 years with a year or two of vesting options.
The 7th year is a club option, so it's really just a 6 year 60ish million dollar deal. Unless Hicks falls off a cliff this year he was easily going to beat that in free agency.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
From the LA Times story on Long Beach waving its behind seductively at the Angels:

The city has not determined whether a ballpark would be feasible on the site or the best use for it, let alone whether taxpayers would contribute to a construction cost that could exceed $700 million and could approach $1 billion.

These strike me as minor snags they may want to look into first.

Oct 30, 2017
My Cubs predictions:
Punished Kris Bryant finishes top 3 in MVP
Yu makes 28+ starts and has a sub 2.80 ERA
Stropy has 20 saves
Nico Hoerner either gets called up midseason or gets traded for a RP
More stupid Ricketts shenanigans
The Cubs TV Network gets screwed up somehow.

nnex

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, are we doing spicy hot predictions?

Jamo has a 5 WAR season.
Jung-ho hits 25+ bombs.
The Pirates finish in 3rd place or better.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
The local word here near Philly is that Bryce is essentially being offered the top money he wants (330 million-ish for 10 years) but theres hangups as Boras wants an opt out in the contract for Bryce after 3 years and the Phillies do not want to give it.

However, I think the Phillies should still go for it. If he stays, he stays. But if he doesn't, that's fine- even if you only have 3 years with now 26 year old Harper in his prime, it is a good period of time to get to work and try to win. But if he leaves after three years, it might sting a tiny bit, but then you are free of the contract- probably for a good chunk of time when the money won't be worth what he is providing. and you got even more leeway to possibly go get Mike Trout in 2 years.

If he "overplays" the contract and wants more money, then let someone else pay it for decline years, and take your money gained and bring in more talent, but chances are with the stupid money'll he'll get, there probably won't be any overplay and he'll be foolish to test the market again (since they won't be offering up then what he is being offered now), and he'll stay and still be a high end player for the Phillies a long time. Either way, you have control of a top player during his most prime years.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cards need to extend Goldschmidt fast.
Why would Goldschmidt sign an extension with a team he hasn't actually played for yet? What if the Cardinals don't end up being as Jesusy as he hoped? What if they don't go after Scooter Gennett, the most Cardinals-sounding player to have ever not played for the Cardinals?

Last edited:

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
harper wants badly to be on the cubs and they just refuse to take him
We don't really know if Harper has/had a single preferred destination in mind save for anywhere but Philly apparently. The Dodgers, Yankees, and Cubs have all been reported as his desired landing spot at varying points over the years.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't really know if Harper has/had a single preferred destination in mind save for anywhere but Philly apparently. The Dodgers, Yankees, and Cubs have all been reported as his desired landing spot at varying points over the years.

i mean yeah nobody knows for sure, but he's been obsessed with the cubs for years. him and his wife are literally best friends with bryant and his wife. he has posted stuff about chicago/wrigley field/the cubs countless times over the years. the wives have made posts on social media about him playing for the cubs. his dog is named Wrigley, ffs. for all we know he could have wanted to sign with any specific team, but there has never been speculation about him and another team that's come close to all the smoke surrounding him and the cubs.

as for philly, everything points to him not wanting to play there. it's pretty clear that they have been the most aggressive. if he wanted to be there for non-money reasons, he'd have signed there by now.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The local word here near Philly is that Bryce is essentially being offered the top money he wants (330 million-ish for 10 years) but theres hangups as Boras wants an opt out in the contract for Bryce after 3 years and the Phillies do not want to give it.

However, I think the Phillies should still go for it. If he stays, he stays. But if he doesn't, that's fine- even if you only have 3 years with now 26 year old Harper in his prime, it is a good period of time to get to work and try to win. But if he leaves after three years, it might sting a tiny bit, but then you are free of the contract- probably for a good chunk of time when the money won't be worth what he is providing. and you got even more leeway to possibly go get Mike Trout in 2 years.

If he "overplays" the contract and wants more money, then let someone else pay it for decline years, and take your money gained and bring in more talent, but chances are with the stupid money'll he'll get, there probably won't be any overplay and he'll be foolish to test the market again (since they won't be offering up then what he is being offered now), and he'll stay and still be a high end player for the Phillies a long time. Either way, you have control of a top player during his most prime years.

The reason the Phillies might be hung up on the opt out is that it is never good for the team. If Harper is good enough to want to opt out, he's probably not a contract you want to be free of in the first place. I don't think there is a chance in hell anybody is signing Harper w/o an opt out

Arrenado's extension is pretty interesting. Wonder if this changes some minds in NY and LA regarding Harper.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Arrenado's extension is pretty interesting. Wonder if this changes some minds in NY and LA regarding Harper.
The Yankees reported interest in Arenado was always just a shiny object to distract the fanbase while ownership cheaped out on Machado. It does seem like it might have had an effect on the Dodgers however.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
The reason the Phillies might be hung up on the opt out is that it is never good for the team. If Harper is good enough to want to opt out, he's probably not a contract you want to be free of in the first place. I don't think there is a chance in hell anybody is signing Harper w/o an opt out

Yeah, I understand why its not a popular notion, and why people get pissed about it, but I think thinks its what your going to have to do to get this caliber of player, and you still do it if that's what it takes.

The literal worse case scenario is basically Harper has three of the most amazing seasons a player could have in baseball- that's what it would take for him be able to say he outplayed the contract where he's getting over 30 million a year. The Phillies would obviously have benefited immensely from that and probably had some great seasons themselves if that's the case. Harper would probably be nuts to leave if things went that well. But if he wanted to walk, and the Phillies didn't want to offer new contract/pay more, then let him go and save on having to pay that high sum of money for 7 more years as he goes into his 30s (decline years). And if he simply is just OK, and far from earning salary, and he wants to leave- then you are pretty much like "LOL, Ok, bye!".

And actually, I'm wrong, that's not the worse scenario- that would probably be you sign him and he pretty much is just mediocre/sucks because...reasons. (injury or whatever other hangups, sometimes shit happens)- and your stuck paying him for all these years because no one else is going to take on that salary and he's going to stick around like glue and take the money.

But bottom line- I'd much rather take three years of great baseball from Harper, than none. You certainly hope for 10, but I'll take three if that's all you wind up getting.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

mr-met-ambulance-hospital.jpg

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Fernando Tatis Jr. hype machine is ramping up a lot. MLB Network and all the Twitter reporters are like salivating over the dude at this point lol

Then again, look at the dude:

93hZgpn.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.