• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The Mariners really shouldn't package Cano in any deal. That rumored return is not the best.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If true, Ms win the trade IMO. Kelenic and McNeil are legit. Dunn is a decent prospect.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Heyman @JonHeyman

Mets deal for Cano and Diaz is close. Different combinations discussed but most recent one has Bruce and Swarzak going to Seattle to offset some money. Some combo of Kelenic, Dunn and McNeil in that one go to Seattle. @Ken_Rosenthal
on it

Terrible fucking deal.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Between this Cano trade and potentially trading away Syndergaard, I don't understand what the Mets are doing.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this Cano trade and potentially trading away Syndergaard, I don't understand what the Mets are doing.
I mean, if it weren't for the Syndergaard stuff, I would assume this is just a Giants-esque attempt at competing by finding the best available player from the 2013 All-Star roster.

I just don't get why you'd trade Syndergaard though. They're not gonna get a better replacement.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it weren't for the Syndergaard stuff, I would assume this is just a Giants-esque attempt at competing by finding the best available player from the 2013 All-Star roster.

I just don't get why you'd trade Syndergaard though. They're not gonna get a better replacement.
in the rotation they won't, but they might be able to upgrade other areas, and they might not have faith his arm stays attached to his body so they might be trying to sell high.
but alas, I might also be giving them far to much credit given how the other trade looks >.<:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't figure out why so many sportswriters keep acting like this is some gutsy all-in move. Taking on any part of Cano's contract does not sound smart to me.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rosenthal with the tmz-esque scoops

Fire up the fake twitter meme generator because I'm using this all offseason long:

[Rosenthal] From someone who attended _______ 's recent wedding: "His younger brother gave a best-man speech and at the end took out a ________ and put it on, which elicited a great applause, and said they all hoped that he and _______ would be ___________."

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunn is a nothing prospect, tops out at what Diaz is now so I'm not concerned losing him. Losing Kelenic? When we're about to trade Thor for more prospects? It's profoundly stupid, he's easily the Mets highest upside prospect. At this point I'm just thankful these idiots got a deal done without losing McNeil (for now). If they traded Kelenic AND him I'd lose my god damn mind. The skills are for real, it wasn't a fluke SSS, his skillset translates. Keep him and fucking start him.
in the rotation they won't, but they might be able to upgrade other areas, and they might not have faith his arm stays attached to his body so they might be trying to sell high.
but alas, I might also be giving them far to much credit given how the other trade looks >.<:
Thor when healthy is an 8 win pitcher. You're not finding a replacement for that in the field barring a miracle.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Dunn is a nothing prospect, tops out at what Diaz is now so I'm not concerned losing him. Losing Kelenic? When we're about to trade Thor for more prospects? It's profoundly stupid, he's easily the Mets highest upside prospect. At this point I'm just thankful these idiots got a deal done without losing McNeil (for now). If they traded Kelenic AND him I'd lose my god damn mind. The skills are for real, it wasn't a fluke SSS, his skillset translates. Keep him and fucking start him.

I'm still hoping the Thor trade is more media wetdream BS, but I'm totally ok with the Cano trade as stands -- especially if money is coming back. With Cano and Diaz, we add two pieces we lacked sorely in 2018 (high BA / OBP guy plus a rock solid BP guy) and while losing Kelenic SUCKS, he's 19 and we've all seen what can happen with prospects. Keeping McNeill is a huge win for us.

IF they keep Syndergaard and add a catcher and another 2 BP guys, we will compete in 2019.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't taking Cano suppose to ensure the Mets don't give up too much? That's the whole point of a salary dump?

Fucking Mets.

JoseDFrog

Oct 27, 2017
Now we can trade Ells for Cano, while the Mets eat all of Cano's salary. It's the most Mets move I can think of.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Isn't taking Cano suppose to ensure the Mets don't give up too much? That's the whole point of a salary dump?

Fucking Mets.
Not when you're getting 4 years control of an elite reliever. You have to give up something.
Edit:

If this is true, I actually like this deal for the Mets.

Last edited:

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a very good deal for the Mets (if it stands like this)

Very good? Nah.

It went from shit to slightly more palatable shit.

Caveat: This of course hinges on what other moves are made this offseason... If this is the big splash the organization is going to make this year then it's still shit. If Thor isn't traded it's still a 500 team at best right now, assuming Cano can perform anything like he has over the last few years, and if Cespedes is healthy.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Very good? Nah.

It went from shit to slightly more palatable shit.

Caveat: This of course hinges on what other moves are made this offseason... If this is the big splash the organization is going to make this year then it's still shit. If Thor isn't traded it's still a 500 team at best right now, assuming Cano can perform anything like he has over the last few years, and if Cespedes is healthy.

You get back one of the best hitters in baseball that has at least 2 years of solid ~.300 baseball plus one of the best relievers in baseball for the next 4 years at an insanely reasonable contract. You're giving up Bruce and Swarzak. Kelenic hurts but you have to give up something of value to get back Diaz.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You get back one of the best hitters in baseball that has at least 2 years of solid ~.300 baseball plus one of the best relievers in baseball for the next 4 years at an insanely reasonable contract. You're giving up Bruce and Swarzak. Kelenic hurts but you have to give up something of value to get back Diaz.

Cano is fresh off a suspension for PEDs and he'll be playing here until after 40. Can't say I have a lot of faith in him.

I don't really care about Dunn all that much, but Kelenic looked like a stud. My issue is very few relievers are consistently great... Shit, hardly any of them are (Miller?) so I am always hesitant about giving up too much or giving them a contract for longer than 3 years.

The money makes it more palatable only if the Mets are going to make more moves this offseason. I think this is going to go straight into the Wilponzi's pockets, but I guess time will tell.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Cano is fresh off a suspension for PEDs and he'll be playing here until after 40. Can't say I have a lot of faith in him.

I don't really care about Dunn all that much, but Kelenic looked like a stud. My issue is very few relievers are consistently great... Shit, hardly any of them are (Miller?) so I am always hesitant about giving up too much or giving them a contract for longer than 3 years.

The money makes it more palatable only if the Mets are going to make more moves this offseason. I think this is going to go straight into the Wilponzi's pockets, but I guess time will tell.

Cano hit .317 after suspension. He'll be okay for the next few years. And yes I agree about Kelenic but I do think Diaz is an absolute stud.

Al for more moves, I agree...this cannot be the only move, but it's a really good first step.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Cano might have up 6war if he wasn't suspended. He still really good and you're getting him at only a $12 million aav (if true).

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Cano might have up 6war if he wasn't suspended. He still really good and you're getting him at only a $12 million aav (if true).

Mets fans better hope this turns out better than Roberto Alomar. Alomar was a 7.3 WAR player in his last year with Cleveland at age 33. The Mets traded for him and he never had a WAR higher than 0.6 the rest of his career.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

For the first season or two maybe, but he's at the age where you have to start expecting serious decline unless he's a total outlier. It's not like you can just project him to be a 6 WAR player at 33/34/35.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For the first season or two maybe, but he's at the age where you have to start expecting serious decline unless he's a total outlier. It's not like you can just project him to be a 6 WAR player at 33/34/35.

Yep, see my Robby Alomar example. And he was younger and better than Cano when the Mets traded for him. Then he just completely fell off the cliff one year after he was 4th in the MVP voting. Also, now that Cano is supposedly off PEDs, we don't know if that will have any negative impact on him physically moving forward.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Mets getting the better part of the deal in terms of talent. Really depends on how Cano will age. That money is going to hamstring them in a few years me thinks though.

The Mariners will waste that extra money anyway so the Mets will win by default. And well, trading high drafted players shortly after the draft is always worrying. I can see why Swanson was traded, still hopes he learns how to hit though.

Still think the Mariners shouldn't have bundled the two players together because I have no faith in them spending that money wisely. Should just go for pure talent and by the time those players are ready Cano will be off the books.
It's not like you can just project him to be a 6 WAR player at 33/34/35.
Cano just turned 36 in October. So Mets on the hook for age 36-40. I'd say he has a year and a half of full Cano like production in him.

Last edited:

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Of course not. Projections have him putting up 10 war over the next 5 years, but at an aav of $12 million, he's worth that.

Status
Not open for further replies.