• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017

back-to-the-future-2-movie-clip-screenshot-sports-almanac_large.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely like the deal for the Mets if it is as reported...

Cano, Diaz, and $60M to Mets
Kelenic, Dunn, Bautista, Bruce, and Swarzak with Mariners taking on all of the Bruce/Swarzak salary obligations

...for multiple reasons. No matter how you feel about Cano after the PED use at $12M per he is a plus at least for 2-3 years and at that salary the last 2-3 years won't be that big of a problem. Diaz gives them a legit top 3-5 closer in the game. Something a lot of folks aren't mentioning when analyzing this deal...no one was taking the Bruce and Swarzak money off the Mets hands, no one. The negative is of course losing Kelenic who projects to be a very good player but no one knows that will happen for sure and that's a few years away anyways when the Mets pitching window will be closed further.

That said, the Mets need to do a lot more this offseason to get back in the discussion of realistically contending. If this is their big and only gets then it was clearly a dumb move.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not when you're getting 4 years control of an elite reliever. You have to give up something.
Edit:

If this is true, I actually like this deal for the Mets.

If this is the deal, fuck the mariners. Attaching your best trade piece to shed salary, and you're still sending back a shit ton of money and only getting back two actual pieces?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the deal, fuck the mariners. Attaching your best trade piece to shed salary, and you're still sending back a shit ton of money and only getting back two actual pieces?

The Mariners were doomed the moment Cano signed that deal. At least with this trade the multimillion dollar band aid can be ripped off.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Mariners were doomed the moment Cano signed that deal. At least with this trade the multimillion dollar band aid can be ripped off.

Yes, that's true. But my problem is that shouldn't have to severely hamper the return you would get for a top closer who hasn't even reached arbitration yet.

My thinking is, if you're eating half of Cano's deal, you shouldn't need Diaz to move him at all. Cano's deal will turn into an albatross, but right now he's still a really good player.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not when you're getting 4 years control of an elite reliever. You have to give up something.
Edit:

If this is true, I actually like this deal for the Mets.

It's apparently $60 million when you include Bruce and Swarziak's contracts, so it's actually 23m. So still probably a bad deal for the Mets.

Relievers rarely last long as dominant forces.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely like the deal for the Mets if it is as reported...

Cano, Diaz, and $60M to Mets
Kelenic, Dunn, Bautista, Bruce, and Swarzak with Mariners taking on all of the Bruce/Swarzak salary obligations

...for multiple reasons. No matter how you feel about Cano after the PED use at $12M per he is a plus at least for 2-3 years and at that salary the last 2-3 years won't be that big of a problem. Diaz gives them a legit top 3-5 closer in the game. Something a lot of folks aren't mentioning when analyzing this deal...no one was taking the Bruce and Swarzak money off the Mets hands, no one. The negative is of course losing Kelenic who projects to be a very good player but no one knows that will happen for sure and that's a few years away anyways when the Mets pitching window will be closed further.

That said, the Mets need to do a lot more this offseason to get back in the discussion of realistically contending. If this is their big and only gets then it was clearly a dumb move.

I agree with everything you said

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If it is possible that all sides can lose a trade, this would be the trade to prove it.

You can probably find more egregious examples than this where all players in the deal don't amount to anything. For this deal, I think at the minimum Cano gives the Mets one good year and Edwin Diaz continues to be one of the top closers in the league for the next few years.

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny part of all this is Jeff McNeil could have a higher WAR than Cano next year if allowed to play every day.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
You non-tendered the wrong guy, Mets...

I mean with Alonso coming up you really don't have a place for him, but...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

I can't be to upset about this trade, it's not like he is a bad reliever, but good hitting catchers are pretty rare and with a bit more development Omar might have been worth more.
but with the drug using catcher the white sox have now and one of their top prospects being a catcher I guess it makes sense to trade one for a reliever.

wouldn't be surprised if Omar ended up better than collins though.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a little subdued considering this...

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/robins...haul-noah-syndergaard-could-be-next/301303028

...I hope to keep Thor and obviously deGrom, like Conforto and Nimmo too but I'm excited to see considerable roster turnover or at minimum some more impactful players brought in through signings (particularly another or two top tier bullpen arms and in some fashion an offensive improvement).
We'll give you the best catching prospect in baseball and a shiny, barely used Kirby Yates for Thor

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You non-tendered the wrong guy, Mets...

I mean with Alonso coming up you really don't have a place for him, but...

Still a great player to have on the bench.

So, if this deal goes through... This would be the starting lineup by the summer:

1B: Alonso
2B: Cano
3B: McNeil
SS: Rosario
C: Who the fuck cares
OF: Cespedes
OF: Nimmo
OF: Conforto

SP: deGrom, Thor, Wheeler, Matz, Vargas
Pen: Diaz, Lugo, Gsellman, ????

Eh. You can contend with that team. If they make the moves they need to make (BP, C) then they have an outside shot of being any good *if* everyone plays like they should. I've been a Mets fan for far too long, I know that's not going to happen. They're probably a .500 team as presently constituted, *not* worth giving up their two top prospects IMO.

dmncnby2k20

Oct 25, 2017
Cano to the Mets?? Shieet.

Billy Hamilton to be non-tendered. Wouldn't mind the Mets taking a look at that possible addition.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he could have even just learned to take a pitch he's such a valuable player. But even with his defense he's such a butcher at the plate.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Funny part of all this is Jeff McNeil could have a higher WAR than Cano next year if allowed to play every day.

McNeil didn't flash as much power as he did in the minors last season, but man the guy played good fucking ball for his club and he's become an after thought. He was banged up early in his minor league career, still not sure how he'll develop, but he showed a good glove and was good on the bases. Really looked like a ++ version of Daniel Murphy.

When this deal gets done it will question my fandom. Until these broke boys no longer own the team we're going nowhere. Sandy made his fair share of bad moves, but when you factor in who he was working for the man was a fucking magician. This team is perpetually fucked with the brokepons.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The White Sox are still waiting for their pieces to come up and thrive
They are targeting 2020 in general but they also have a ton of payroll this year and could buy some of what they are missing. They are expected to be serious players for Harper or machado given they are young enough to be s cornerstone.

They have some pieces in place already. If there was a clear good team in the division then it wouldn't make sense to rush it. But if there isn't just getting the team to decent night be enough to make the play offs

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They are targeting 2020 in general but they also have a ton of payroll this year and could buy some of what they are missing. They are expected to be serious players for Harper or machado given they are young enough to be s cornerstone.

They have some pieces in place already. If there was a clear good team in the division then it wouldn't make sense to rush it. But if there isn't just getting the team to decent night be enough to make the play offs

I don't see the W.Sox giving one player 300M. They've always been frugal and I would be shocked as hell if this happens.

They aren't even close for one player putting them over the hump. They would still need pitching and a bunch of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see no point in trying to make the playoffs this year when they can still tank and develop everyone with no expectations for another year. Would obviously be nice to have a Harper or Machado locked up but there's no immediate reason to, when they can keep a loaded farm for a little bit longer.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the W.Sox giving one player 300M. They've always been frugal and I would be shocked as hell if this happens.

They aren't even close for one player putting them over the hump. They would still need pitching and a bunch of it.
they at one point had the highest paid player in albert bell.
and in general the owner is getting up there in years and is known to really want to win it again before he dies.

it's not super likely, but it's far from a 0% chance that they sign harper or Machado.

and of course it wouldn't just be one player.

in fact they have so much payroll room right now they could sign Machado, Harper and still have money to fill in some other places as they are assumed to have up to 80 mil per season to play with right now.

Yeah, I see no point in trying to make the playoffs this year when they can still tank and develop everyone with no expectations for another year. Would obviously be nice to have a Harper or Machado locked up but there's no immediate reason to, when they can keep a loaded farm for a little bit longer.

as i said before the owner isn't getting any younger.
plus being in first place/making the playoffs would help ticket sales quite a bit.

White sox fans only really show up when there is a winning product on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.