• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cornbread white guy who loves Jesus? He'll fit right in on the Cardinals.

If only Scooter Gennett was available, they could acquire him and become Peak Cardinals.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Bittersweet to see Goldy leave the Dbacks. He was the face of the franchise, and a fan favorite. It needed to be done though in order to lower the payroll and get some players into the farm system. From what I've heard, Kelly and Weaver are really good prospects.

Oct 27, 2017
Bittersweet to see Goldy leave the Dbacks. He was the face of the franchise, and a fan favorite. It needed to be done though in order to lower the payroll and get some players into the farm system. From what I've heard, Kelly and Weaver are really good prospects.

Weaver had a solid stretch in like July and August of 2017, but has been terrible since. Maybe he can turn it around, but his stuff is garbage. He's basically just a fastball changeup pitcher right now, and his fastball has no movement. He seems to be dedicated to getting better, so maybe something will click, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Kelly could be good, but he has a long way to go with his bat, even by catcher standards. Don't know much about the other guy.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Pretty fair trade. Glad to see the Cards trade off depth pieces for a more impact player. Lineup looks solid, now fix the bullpen.

Weaver had a solid stretch in like July and August of 2017, but has been terrible since. Maybe he can turn it around, but his stuff is garbage. He's basically just a fastball changeup pitcher right now, and his fastball has no movement. He seems to be dedicated to getting better, so maybe something will click, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
He was also great at the start of last season. We'll see if he can adjust to the league adjusting to him.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had the thought of Matt Carpenter playing all season at 3B. Going to be like watching a butcher work.

oL6JmlJ.gif

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Wish the Rays beat that deal. Cards swapped a bunch of guys they had no plans for into Goldy

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cardinals beat writer Goold on local radio: Goldschmidt is the player the Cardinals have coveted for the past few years. Tried to work a trade at the deadline last season, but the asking price was too high. FO will not move on Harper, instead they are possibly looking at Brantley if they can get a suitor for Fowler. Also feels they will spend bigger on the bullpen now that they have the Goldschmidt deal done.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Cardinals beat writer Goold on local radio: Goldschmidt is the player the Cardinals have coveted for the past few years. Tried to work a trade at the deadline last season, but the asking price was too high. FO will not move on Harper, instead they are possibly looking at Brantley if they can get a suitor for Fowler. Also feels they will spend bigger on the bullpen now that they have the Goldschmidt deal done.
Disappointing but not surprising. I wonder if that means the FO is confident they'll be able to extend Goldschmidt.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is what the Cards have on the books as far as longer term contracts:

Fowler
Wong
DeJong
Carlos Martinez

Fowler is the most expensive, but after 2020, this team will have almost nothing on the books. Which makes me think the big reason they went for Goldschmidt is because if this team treads water like they've done the past few years, then I think the ownership will flush away and start over.

Regardless, our 3 and 4 hole hitters are one year away from FA. They are going to need to spend big to keep both Goldschmidt and Ozuna.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017

It always pisses me off when a team goes "yeah, this guy that's been top 3 at their position for the last 5 years would be a perfect fit for our team" like they're saying something mind blowing that no one else has ever thought of before. He's arguably been the top first baseman for that time period.

If they were patting themselves on their backs any harder, they would probably dislocate their arms. Don't mind me, I'm just salty.

JoseDFrog

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good deal for Evo and he should be worth at least that much if his arm doesn't fall off for a third time.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Hal deserves everything coming his way if he cheaps out in comparison to John Henry again

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
The irony is that people will continue to bich and moan that the Yankees are buying championships.
I mean, everyone except for people super plugged into baseball believe the Yankees are currently buying championships and will until the end of time because most baseball fans are old, white, and kinda dumb. There is neither valor nor reward in not living up to that idea so you might as well go ahead and buy real championships like the Red Sox have done as opposed to new yachts for George's offspring.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY

Sherman and Passan are saying it's increasingly likely that Kluber or Bauer get moved.

Last edited:

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, everyone except for people super plugged into baseball believe the Yankees are currently buying championships and will until the end of time because most baseball fans are old, white, and kinda dumb. There is neither valor nor reward in not living up to that idea so you might as well go ahead and buy real championships like the Red Sox have done as opposed to new yachts for George's offspring.

I think even baseball fans who are plugged in still have that mindset in many instances. Besides here I also frequent sports and MLB-specific message boards and many so-called diehard baseball fans that aren't Yankees fans still bash the Yankees for being the evil empire and buying championships. Most of them must know that the Yankees haven't had the highest payroll in years now, but they choose to live in denial because it's fun to hate on the Yankees.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Posted?

Could The End be near for The Shift? I'm told support is building for that idea. So what would happen if there were no more shifts? More singles..Fewer LH hitters hitting .182..But would it be worth it? I broke down numbers & surveyed coaches & execs!

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what's the point of arizona even trading goldy if that's all you're going to get? i know it's essentially a one year rental, but the cardinals got him for scraps.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's the point of arizona even trading goldy if that's all you're going to get? i know it's essentially a one year rental, but the cardinals got him for scraps.

I think what hurt his value the most is he's a year away from FA. People also seem a little torn on the trade, but Weaver has a high ceiling and Kelly just needs to play. He's going to be a great catcher, but he was just blocked behind Yadi.

If both of those players stay regulars, then I think its a good trade. Especially in a year from now if Goldschmidt doesn't take an extension and goes elsewhere.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
R.I.P. Luis Valbuena :'(

Seems like there's a tragic death from an accident every offseason now...

Status
Not open for further replies.