• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing the Dodgers FO they are probably clearing all this space so that they can sign AJ Pollack for 3 years/$60 million

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Reds are dumb as hell. Sending a legit prospect (I like Downs a lot) to take expiring bad money to help the Dodgers get under the Luxury tax.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I am shook. I understand the reasoning but we gave up so much value for so little. Farmer too? Really? Why would you give up a capable MLB catcher when you're already losing your starter? This is unbelievable.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I am shook. I understand the reasoning but we gave up so much value for so little. Farmer too? Really? This is unbelievable.

Wood and Puig are decent but about to get really expensive. Farmer is a JAG. Kemp is pure filler. It's a salary dump that frees up salary and roster spots. The two main assets (Puig and Wood) are guys that probably aren't a part of the long term plans.

It's potentially a good move depending on what they do with this flexibility.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wood and Puig are decent but about to get really expensive. Farmer is a JAG. Kemp is pure filler. It's a salary dump that frees up salary and roster spots. The two main assets (Puig and Wood) are guys that probably aren't a part of the long term plans.

It's potentially a good move depending on what they do with this flexibility.
The reasoning is clear (40-man slots and money), but we're taking on $28m from Bailey and only freeing up what, maybe $40m in salary after arb/new contracts? It's not a significant gain for what's being given up. Wood was expendable but Puig is a major loss. Farmer is a really useful piece and was cheap too.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What in the world are the Reds doing?
spending 12 mil and sending 2 unranked but decent prospects in order to decently improve their rotation and have matt kemp and Yasiel Puig on their team, which may not even still be on their team at the start of the season?

I don't know how good the outfielders the reds already have were. But there is still months left to the off season where they could trade one or both of the outfielders they just got for something else?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The reasoning is clear (40-man slots and money), but we're taking on $28m from Bailey and only freeing up what, maybe $40m in salary after arb/new contracts? It's not a significant gain for what's being given up. Wood was expendable but Puig is a major loss. Farmer is a really useful piece and was cheap too.

It's something like $17 million in savings in tax money (Bailey was only like $18 million in this regard for some reason, whereas Kemp counted $20 million and Puig/Wood combined were probably going to make like $20 million in arbitration.

I get the Puig loss being rough, but he was a good not great player who is still wildly inconsistent and was likely not going to be a part of the team beyond this season anyway. Essentially getting 2 okay to good prospects for him and dumping a bunch of money is potentially a great move for La, depending on what they do next. They now have the space to conceivably sigh Harper, and a couple more prospects to throw at a possible Kluber or Realmuto trade.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
At least I won't be seeing all the baseball racists crying about Puig flipping his bat into the upper deck while clutching their pearls yelling about playing the right way.

Win!

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
A couple of top prospects are probably more valuable than Yasiel Puig and Alex Wood if you are looking for a front line starter.
Y'all the only one negative about this. The Reds get two comp picks because of this deal. Our farm system is loaded so losing Downs doesn't kill us. Also the Reds would have a huge amount of money to use to possibly resign a couple of them.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Bracketing the question of return value, why are the Reds trading prospects for rentals? You do that when you are in win now mode, not in the middle of a rebuild.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think the two prospects were more to turn the bailey 28 mil of uselessness into something useful.

This is true too. I guess it comes down to how the league views Puig. I thought it was crazy when people thought he could be a center piece in a Kluber type deal. He's a good player who still has a lot of warts he hasn't really improved upon in years, and he's going to want a huge contract in a year.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Theoretically, what would Cashman have to attach to Sonny Gray to get Puig? I don't care about need or fit, I just want Puig on the Yankees at some point.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
and a couple more prospects to throw at a possible Kluber or Realmuto trade.
This is a good point.

It looks like we're sending them $7m on top of all those players.. lol. Oh well, it is what it is. I have faith in the front office, but Puig was a special player who had a penchant for coming up big and I can't really think of anyone but JT who did it as often as him. From reading some tweets, it sounds like it'll be tough to sign Harper anyway if we care about the luxury tax threshold.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Reuniting with Turner Ward.
He gets to keep on kissing him. I bet Turner is like
SilverGreedyFinch-size_restricted.gif

imb0rden

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to miss Puig. He's my current favorite player. He plays with passion, has a cannon of an arm, and every play he's involved in has the potential to be something special. I think I'll get tickets for his return just to give him a standing ovation. ✌🏼

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Reds Lineup
José Peraza
Eugenia Suarez
Scooter Gennett
Joseph Daniel the King Votto
Jessie Winker
Yaisel Puig
Scott Schebler
Tucker Barnhart
Nick Senzel and Matt Kemp back up